What would you do? Induction at 37 wks vs. planned c-section. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
 
DisplacedYooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom works with a woman (35 wks) who has just be diagnosed with cholestasis. (www.itchymoms.com) She will almost certainly have a medicalized birth due to the increased risk of stillbirth with this disorder - she does not want to stay home, and from my brief reading up on the topic, that might not be the wisest course of action anyway.

So, what would you do? An induction at 37 weeks just seems crazy to me - how would it even take? And to have hours of (from what I hear) very painful pitocin contractions followed by a c-section anyway... I don't know. I mean, labor is useful for prepping the baby for birth... I feel really bad for this woman, because I know she has wanted a natural (that is, drug-free at the hospital) birth.

She is in the UK. I guess part of her decision should be based on how well VBACs are supported there. Does anyone have any first-hand experience?

Advice?
DisplacedYooper is offline  
#2 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 02:38 PM
 
georgia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: tl;dr
Posts: 25,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is a link to a recent thread discussing induction vs. cs (not the same reason), but I hope it will provide some information while you're waiting for replies.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!
 
georgia is offline  
#3 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 05:05 PM
 
AlexisT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 2,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know someone who's been induced 3 times with choleostasis. All were successful. Early induction is definitely a viable option here.

ETA - she should prepare herself for an epidural. It's far from guaranteed, but much more likely. That said, a vaginal birth with an epidural is a lot better than a CS (which gets you the epidural anyway).

VBAC is supported here but you;'re supposed to do it in a hospital, not home or birth centre.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

AlexisT is offline  
#4 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 06:28 PM
 
tenecwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would definitely go for the 37 week induction. I know a lot of people that have been successfully induced significantly early for medical reasons - and for non medical reasons with no problems

Jamie ~ mama to Ryan (2.24.05) Luke (12.5.07)  Henry (6.27.09) & Josiah (due 4/11)
tenecwalker is offline  
#5 of 16 Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 PM
 
ckhagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Induction hands down.
Of course, I've been down the failed induction path, but psychologically it was much more affirming to me that I had at least "given it a shot" before ending up in surgery. I've seen plenty of successful inductions and if you're doing it for a true medical reason (which cholestasis is), it's worth the risks.
ckhagen is offline  
#6 of 16 Old 10-12-2007, 05:10 AM
 
MilkTrance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: a small, old house
Posts: 5,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My induction was extremely traumatic for me.

But I still dont' feel it was necessary, so that is probably part of it. This sounds like it is necessary.
MilkTrance is offline  
#7 of 16 Old 10-12-2007, 05:16 AM
 
MCatLvrMom2A&X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: With Vin Diesel ;) YUMMMM
Posts: 14,785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Induction and if it fails c/s. It is always better IMHO to try for vaginal birth before agreeing to c/s. With colestasis it is best to get the baby out ASAP. It significantly reduces the risk of stillbirth.

 
SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

MCatLvrMom2A&X is offline  
#8 of 16 Old 10-12-2007, 09:43 AM
 
pampered_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere short of crazy
Posts: 4,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another vote for induction. Even if she ends up with a c/s, at least the babe had some benefit of labor.
pampered_mom is offline  
#9 of 16 Old 10-12-2007, 10:08 AM
 
turtlewomyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would take induction (but not with cytotec). I had a friend who had a successful induction at 38 weeks for Pre-E. She didn't even get an epidural, she used hypnobirthing to deal with the pain (but said that pitocin is evil).
I had a scheduled c-section for "big baby" and hope to never have a scheduled c-section again. I wish they would have "allowed" me to be induced (or better yet, just left me alone).
She should maybe try to get ready early with EPO (although, I don't know how early in a pregnancy it is safe to take), lots of sex, to help her cervix ripen ahead of time.
turtlewomyn is offline  
#10 of 16 Old 10-13-2007, 08:49 AM
 
SublimeBirthGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 3,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know a lot about the disorder but I'd take induction over cesarean. Cervidil 1st, pit later. I'd also choose my birth team VERY carefully.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)
 
SublimeBirthGirl is offline  
#11 of 16 Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 AM
 
Peacemamalove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Essex Junction,Vermont
Posts: 3,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was induced at 37 weeks with my son due to extremely high Blood pressure. It actually took about a week to get my cervix to thin out and many times of having them use cervidil (sp?) Finally my cervix thinned and I dialated to 3cm and that is when they broke my water to help the process along.

So it is possible but in my experience I would never ever do it again. Being induced and stuck in bed was just awful. But then again if it was that or a C-section I would definitely try being induced first.

Wishing the best!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
Peacemamalove is offline  
#12 of 16 Old 10-13-2007, 02:32 PM
 
gwerydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i vote induction. i wish i had been given the option of induction over c-section. my bp had skyrocketed up to 200/119 and my dd was complete breech so they decided on c-section over induction at 35 weeks. i wish i had
known more so i could have made an informed decision. i would only do a c-section if it were absolutely necessary to get the baby out now.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
gwerydd is offline  
#13 of 16 Old 10-13-2007, 05:58 PM
 
Llyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: right here
Posts: 9,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had cholestasis, but I never had the choice, since I was a twin VBAC. Not a soul on earth was willing to attend an induced twin VBAC with one twin breech. So I had the section. I would have infinitely preferred at least attempting the induction, so I say advise induction.

I do have to say, though, that cholestasis is one of the valid reasons to consider early induction.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Llyra is offline  
#14 of 16 Old 10-13-2007, 11:10 PM
 
suearoo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My last 2 were induced Choleostasis pregnancies at 38 weeks. My last one should have been sooner but "somehow" my blood work got lost and in the meanwhile my liver started shutting down. My first one was hard but she came out healthy and at that point that is all that mattered. My last one was this past June and a half hour after they broke my water she was delivered, I know this is not the norm but it can happen. I would go for induction over a c-section anyday.
suearoo22 is offline  
#15 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
 
DisplacedYooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
UPDATE: She went in for induction last Tuesday, it didn't work, tried again on Wednesday, didn't work, on Thursday, they stripped her membranes and hooked her up to a pitocin drip. She ended up with a C-Section.:

On the plus side, both mother and baby are recovering well.

I feel so bad for this mama, she had come a long way from being afraid of handling the pain of labor to looking forward to a natural birth. But I guess cholestasis is one of those reasons that it is good that we have modern medicine...
DisplacedYooper is offline  
#16 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 07:21 PM
 
georgia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: tl;dr
Posts: 25,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedYooper View Post

On the plus side, both mother and baby are recovering well.
Thanks for the update, DY! I hope she has a speedy recovery

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!
 
georgia is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off