What would you do? Induction at 37 wks vs. planned c-section. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom works with a woman (35 wks) who has just be diagnosed with cholestasis. (www.itchymoms.com) She will almost certainly have a medicalized birth due to the increased risk of stillbirth with this disorder - she does not want to stay home, and from my brief reading up on the topic, that might not be the wisest course of action anyway.

So, what would you do? An induction at 37 weeks just seems crazy to me - how would it even take? And to have hours of (from what I hear) very painful pitocin contractions followed by a c-section anyway... I don't know. I mean, labor is useful for prepping the baby for birth... I feel really bad for this woman, because I know she has wanted a natural (that is, drug-free at the hospital) birth.

She is in the UK. I guess part of her decision should be based on how well VBACs are supported there. Does anyone have any first-hand experience?

Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Here is a link to a recent thread discussing induction vs. cs (not the same reason), but I hope it will provide some information while you're waiting for replies.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#3 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know someone who's been induced 3 times with choleostasis. All were successful. Early induction is definitely a viable option here.

ETA - she should prepare herself for an epidural. It's far from guaranteed, but much more likely. That said, a vaginal birth with an epidural is a lot better than a CS (which gets you the epidural anyway).

VBAC is supported here but you;'re supposed to do it in a hospital, not home or birth centre.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#4 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 PM

I would definitely go for the 37 week induction. I know a lot of people that have been successfully induced significantly early for medical reasons - and for non medical reasons with no problems

Jamie ~ mama to Ryan (2.24.05) Luke (12.5.07)  Henry (6.27.09) & Josiah (due 4/11)
#5 of 16 Old 10-11-2007, 08:29 PM

Induction hands down.
Of course, I've been down the failed induction path, but psychologically it was much more affirming to me that I had at least "given it a shot" before ending up in surgery. I've seen plenty of successful inductions and if you're doing it for a true medical reason (which cholestasis is), it's worth the risks.
#6 of 16 Old 10-12-2007, 06:10 AM

My induction was extremely traumatic for me.

But I still dont' feel it was necessary, so that is probably part of it. This sounds like it is necessary.
#7 of 16 Old 10-12-2007, 06:16 AM

Induction and if it fails c/s. It is always better IMHO to try for vaginal birth before agreeing to c/s. With colestasis it is best to get the baby out ASAP. It significantly reduces the risk of stillbirth.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 16 Old 10-12-2007, 10:43 AM

Another vote for induction. Even if she ends up with a c/s, at least the babe had some benefit of labor.
#9 of 16 Old 10-12-2007, 11:08 AM

I would take induction (but not with cytotec). I had a friend who had a successful induction at 38 weeks for Pre-E. She didn't even get an epidural, she used hypnobirthing to deal with the pain (but said that pitocin is evil).
I had a scheduled c-section for "big baby" and hope to never have a scheduled c-section again. I wish they would have "allowed" me to be induced (or better yet, just left me alone).
She should maybe try to get ready early with EPO (although, I don't know how early in a pregnancy it is safe to take), lots of sex, to help her cervix ripen ahead of time.
#10 of 16 Old 10-13-2007, 09:49 AM

I don't know a lot about the disorder but I'd take induction over cesarean. Cervidil 1st, pit later. I'd also choose my birth team VERY carefully.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#11 of 16 Old 10-13-2007, 10:17 AM

I was induced at 37 weeks with my son due to extremely high Blood pressure. It actually took about a week to get my cervix to thin out and many times of having them use cervidil (sp?) Finally my cervix thinned and I dialated to 3cm and that is when they broke my water to help the process along.

So it is possible but in my experience I would never ever do it again. Being induced and stuck in bed was just awful. But then again if it was that or a C-section I would definitely try being induced first.

Wishing the best!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#12 of 16 Old 10-13-2007, 03:32 PM

i vote induction. i wish i had been given the option of induction over c-section. my bp had skyrocketed up to 200/119 and my dd was complete breech so they decided on c-section over induction at 35 weeks. i wish i had
known more so i could have made an informed decision. i would only do a c-section if it were absolutely necessary to get the baby out now.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
#13 of 16 Old 10-13-2007, 06:58 PM

I had cholestasis, but I never had the choice, since I was a twin VBAC. Not a soul on earth was willing to attend an induced twin VBAC with one twin breech. So I had the section. I would have infinitely preferred at least attempting the induction, so I say advise induction.

I do have to say, though, that cholestasis is one of the valid reasons to consider early induction.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#14 of 16 Old 10-14-2007, 12:10 AM

My last 2 were induced Choleostasis pregnancies at 38 weeks. My last one should have been sooner but "somehow" my blood work got lost and in the meanwhile my liver started shutting down. My first one was hard but she came out healthy and at that point that is all that mattered. My last one was this past June and a half hour after they broke my water she was delivered, I know this is not the norm but it can happen. I would go for induction over a c-section anyday.
#15 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: She went in for induction last Tuesday, it didn't work, tried again on Wednesday, didn't work, on Thursday, they stripped her membranes and hooked her up to a pitocin drip. She ended up with a C-Section.:

On the plus side, both mother and baby are recovering well.

I feel so bad for this mama, she had come a long way from being afraid of handling the pain of labor to looking forward to a natural birth. But I guess cholestasis is one of those reasons that it is good that we have modern medicine...
#16 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedYooper View Post

On the plus side, both mother and baby are recovering well.
Thanks for the update, DY! I hope she has a speedy recovery

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page