Both my babies born with hand next to head - is this common? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-16-2007, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering if compound presentation tends to run in families. In my case, both my daughters came out with their hand next to their head, and I'm curious to know if anyone has theories or opinions about what causes this... is it something to do with how the mother is shaped internally, perhaps?
#2 of 14 Old 10-16-2007, 03:32 PM

Subbing.

You might be interested in this old thread. I posted something simular a while back.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=636259

#3 of 14 Old 10-16-2007, 06:02 PM

My first baby was born with his hand beside his head & a posterior presentation. It was a weird stop/start kind of labor. A lot of back labor. I didn't like it!

I followed www.spinningbabies.com very closely for my other pregnancies & never had the same thing happen. I LOVE spinning babies for encouraging the easiest positions.

Sometimes though I think babies just fit best in some pelvises that way!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#4 of 14 Old 10-16-2007, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for posting that other thread! Interesting thought about AROM vs. SROM affecting the hand presentation. For what it's worth, I had SROM with baby #2 just a few minutes before she came out. I'm not quite sure when they ruptured with #1 but it was also SROM. Had quite a bit of tearing both times too... more so in the first birth. In my second birth I actually felt myself tearing and told the midwife, who managed to push the hand back in.
But based on the other thread, I'm clearly not the only one who's had a nuchal hand more than once. I keep thinking it must have something to do with the mother's physiology. I don't have an unusually roomy pelvis - mine is textbook average - but I do have lower back scoliosis and a bit of a twist in my hips, so maybe that's a factor?
#5 of 14 Old 10-16-2007, 06:13 PM

My first was OP with a nuchal hand SROM.

My second was OP with TWO nuchal hands SROM after head was birthed (almost born in caul).

My third rotated from OP just before the pushing stage, no nuchal hand (SROM shortly after labor began and then small *glugs* during labor)!!

LOTS of back labor in all 3. Not too much fun, but I had REALLY short labors!
#6 of 14 Old 10-17-2007, 12:09 AM

Both my daughters were posterior with both hands on head....lots of back labour, not sure with this one...but have been trying positions to try to eliminate at least the sunnyside up position...would love a birth witrh a little less back labour!

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)
#7 of 14 Old 10-17-2007, 01:00 AM

I've had AROM with 4 deliveries, with one nuchal hand... I tore with that delivery. He had a big head, which didn't help matters.
#8 of 14 Old 10-17-2007, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Both of my children were born with nuchal hands. DS was posterior for most of labor but turned about an hour before he was born, he was only a bit over 8 lbs but I did tear quite badly where his arm came out. I also had AROM with him.

I had SROM with DD (right before she crowned), even though she was 2 lbs heavier than DS I only had a slight skid mark where her arm came out.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#9 of 14 Old 10-27-2007, 08:27 AM

My youngest is now a 20-year old student. A scan when I was pregnant with her showed her right hand up beside her head. She was born with her right hand alongside her head - and every night of her life, she has that hand against her cheek when she sleeps - you can sometimes see the finger imprint just after she first wakes!

She got together with some friends last year to rent a house. On the first morning, a new housemate came down to breakfast with a hand imprint on her cheek: she had also been born with a nucal hand and keeps that hand by her face when she sleeps.

Has anyone else found this pattern as their child has grown?:
#10 of 14 Old 10-27-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marymac View Post
My youngest is now a 20-year old student. A scan when I was pregnant with her showed her right hand up beside her head. She was born with her right hand alongside her head - and every night of her life, she has that hand against her cheek when she sleeps - you can sometimes see the finger imprint just after she first wakes!

She got together with some friends last year to rent a house. On the first morning, a new housemate came down to breakfast with a hand imprint on her cheek: she had also been born with a nucal hand and keeps that hand by her face when she sleeps.

Has anyone else found this pattern as their child has grown?:
DD had a nuchal hand and also started out posterior, but she rotated on her way out...felt weird I also only tore (a little) b/c of her hand...we quickly found that she likes to keep that hand up by her face while nursing and sleeping..so I guess this might continue.
#11 of 14 Old 10-27-2007, 10:07 PM

My ds when he was born had his hand up over his head and had the cord wrapped around it 3x's. But I think he was like this for the last month of my pregnancy. Every night, when I went to bed when I would lay down he would thrash violently inutero. I always felt something wierd was going on.
vicky
#12 of 14 Old 10-28-2007, 03:14 AM

Wow interesting!

My daughter was born posterior with her palms over her eyes and her elbows jutting out. Very difficult and painful labor - 56 hours with back labor the entire time. I was induced and had AROM at 6 inches. I will definitely be trying spinningbabies next time! I pushed for 30 minutes, no tearing, and a quick recovery. At least I had that!

Oh and I could feel her scratching my cervix for weeks before the birth. Her hands were up by her face in her ultrasounds too. At 14 months she still sleeps with her hands up.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#13 of 14 Old 10-28-2007, 08:26 PM

DS2 kept putting his hand up to his cheek during labor, which we'd discover after the labor would fizzle out. My midwife would feel and "darn thing put his hand up there again!" He did finally pull it down and I didn't have to deliver a nuchal hand, but it did happen four or five times over a three day period.

My first labor went much the same way, but I had crappy OBs who didn't really feel to see why labor was stopping. They just did the old standard "more pitocin" route. He was eventually born via c-section, but all I know was that he was posterior, not if he had a hand by his cheek.

Funny though... DS2 was born with indents on his cheeks from where he had his hand pressed against his face for so long. He still sleeps that way. It's cute.

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#14 of 14 Old 10-28-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino View Post
Oh and I could feel her scratching my cervix for weeks before the birth.
My son did that too! It was the *weirdest* feeling...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page