Solicting opinions please, what would you do? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 10-18-2007, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter was homebirthed with about an hour pushing, she came out with subdural hematoma on her head. I was a little worried until I looked it up on the net and realized it was no big deal. I definetely second the sqatting when pushing thing, my dd was 9 pounds and I had no trouble with her. Sqatting opends up your pelvis about 10% more than other positions, it also gets you in a good position for gravity to help.
#32 of 49 Old 10-18-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoAlley View Post
I mean when I hear that he's in distress and I'm not making any progress pushing him out, well, what would you do? That was the logical decision knowing what I knew then.
Exactly... you made the best choice you could knowing what you know at the time. You shouldn't have to defend that.

But now, and going forward, it's TOTALLY the right thing for you to be questioning what happened during the birth of your child. When you begin prenatals, are you going to go to the same doctor? If so, don't count on an assessment much different than the one he gave you before... that your pelvis was the reason for your surgery. Go to a different OB (if an OB is your preference), or choose a midwife (a better choice for any birth, IMO). Regardless, you should at least consult a midwife -- a woman who would most likely have more faith in the female body and might have a different perspective on your pelvis. KWIM?

I have to agree w/ PPs. With four different pelvic shapes that have evolved over human existance, it doesn't make sense that the shape of your pelvis should inhibit the normal birth of your child. Indeed, shoulder dystocia is a possibility, there are other options for dislodging the shoulders from the pelvis other than simply going to a c-section.

Also, you called your cesarean an "emergency." How long did it take from the time the c-section decision was made until the time you were wheeled into the OR? The reason I ask is that if there was time (30 minutes or so) between the decision and the cut, then it was not true emergency. As a doula, I've seen a true emergency happen, and it was 10 minutes from the moment the doc said "cesarean" to the baby being out in the OR. See what I mean? Sometimes the word "emergency" can be a scare tactic. Just take this knowledge into consideration when you're factoring everything else in...
#33 of 49 Old 10-18-2007, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

I would have to say it wasn't a true emergency because I think, if I remember correctly, that I had to wait on a room, or for some reason there was some waiting time. I remember being on my side, cause that's how they told me to position myself because my son seemed to do better that way and I remember watching the life sign panel and talking to my husband before they took me into the room. I can't remember for sure what the wait was for. But I do know that my son was okay for me to just be lying there. As far as I know, it was just the fact that my son wasn't making any progress, he wasn't making it any further down the birth canal and he seemed to be getting distressed from the pushing.

I will be going back to the same clinic, same docs, because it's the only choice I have for insurance coverage, but rest assured I'll be asking lots of questions and letting them know I've been doing my research and want to make the best decision. I have already thought about at least trying to get in touch with a midwife though, just so that I have someone else knowledgeable besides my doc to talk to about this. Right now I'm just not sure how to get in touch with one and how I could talk to one free of charge.
#34 of 49 Old 10-18-2007, 07:13 PM

Every midwife I've heard of will do an initial interview free.

-Angela
#35 of 49 Old 10-18-2007, 07:20 PM

Our midwife does a free interview. The idea is that you are deciding if you are compatible and want to use them! I think it would be very useful to speak to a midwife. Tell her that you may have a narrow pelvis and about the last birth and see if she is worried about it. You'll probably feel a lot better having her opinion that that of all these women on the forum who are super nice and knowledgable, but you don't know who we are!

Then our bill for all prenatal care and delivery is just under $4000, so even if your insurance won't go for it, it might be doable out of pocket. Actually, our medicaid is paying for our homebirth

I think you're totally right to get an assessment of your pelvis that you can trust. Then you'll know whether you have to worry about these issues or not! But I also agree with most other posters that it seems awfully unlikely that your pelvis was too narrow to birth, while there are swarms of stories of hospital intervention interfering with a body's natural ability to birth a baby!

Be sure to tell your husband (or whoever is with you) that he has to remember to squat if there's trouble pushing the baby out! He can remind you because you might be busy

I'm glad your last baby was born safely and that you both recovered and are well now! I hope you have a wonderful birth this go round!!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#36 of 49 Old 10-18-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Cool!
#37 of 49 Old 10-18-2007, 07:33 PM

I have trouble with short posts Sorry, but I thought of something else :

I've just read Birthing From Within by Pam England and Rob Horowitz (our library had it). It's a very interesting and beautiful book and it talks about the changes in pelvic diameter in the squatting, semi-sitting, and lying flat positions. It says that while lying flat works against gravity, may decrease oxygen to baby, and may increase your labor pains, it is actually better than the semi-sitting position (which sounds like the position you were in?) because semi-sitting decreases the diameter of the pelvic opening more.

The same page goes on to say that CPD (Cephalo Pelvic Disproportion) wherein the baby is too large to fit through the pelvis is a common explanation given for Cesareans but is not an absolute diagnosis and that such women often birth larger babies naturally in subsequent births.

It makes me mad if your doctor did tell you this without due cause, because it could effect all of your future births and cause unnecessary trauma to you and your babies! :

Oh, while I'm recommending books, Spiritual Midwifery is my very favorite birthing book, full of birth stories of natural births, several of which were "supposed" to be impossible or dangerous. It's very spiritual and a heartwarming read

As an aside, when I delivered my daughter, her head came out but her shoulders were stuck (shoulder dyscotia). The midwife had me turn onto my hands and knees and pulled her out safe and sound with no bruising. I don't know how that relates to your experience, since my daughter's head was actually outside of my body and looking around by then . . .

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#38 of 49 Old 10-18-2007, 07:43 PM

I just wanted to chime in re: insurance. Of course, everyone's insurance is different. I wanted to share my experience, though. I have Cigna. They in theory cover midwives, but had none in my area. They agreed, because there were no in-network midwives, to cover *any* midwife I could find. Score! SO, just because you can't find any in-network midwives does not mean you can't have one. Also, some midwives bill under an OB who oversees them, so even if they aren't covered, the OB might be and you can bill though her.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#39 of 49 Old 10-18-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreThanApplesauce View Post
I just wanted to chime in re: insurance. Of course, everyone's insurance is different. I wanted to share my experience, though. I have Cigna. They in theory cover midwives, but had none in my area. They agreed, because there were no in-network midwives, to cover *any* midwife I could find. Score! SO, just because you can't find any in-network midwives does not mean you can't have one. Also, some midwives bill under an OB who oversees them, so even if they aren't covered, the OB might be and you can bill though her.
Yep. If they say they cover a type of provider and don't have any in network, you can get them to let you use one of your choice at the in-network rate.

-Angela
#40 of 49 Old 10-18-2007, 08:34 PM

Sounds like a lot of people have good knowledge. All I have is my personal experience. I was born via emergency c-section because I was 'stuck'. The doctor later told my mom she had a 'gothic arch' to her pelvis. This just means that the arch of her pelvis is narrow.

When I was pregnant with DS I was concerned that I may have the same problem. I had the midwives check me to help releive my fears. To my surprise, I also have a narrow arch to my pelvis. The midwives said not to worry, with a natural childbirth I can change positions to find one that will work to get the baby out.

Well, DS was born vaginally after a natural labor and birth. I pushed him out while on my hands and knees, and my narrow arch was not an issue. Perhaps the reason I was born via c-section was because my mom had an epidural and thus was only able to push in one position--lying on her back. I have given birth, so trust me when I say I totally understand wanting an epidural! It is hard and painful! But, this birth could be totally different. I like to hope you can have your baby naturally, but I think it would be best to tough it out with a natural birth so you can move around as you please. Anyway, best of wishes.
--K

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
#41 of 49 Old 10-18-2007, 10:42 PM

I have narrow hips, no waist, typical athletic body. I'm short, small framed, all that. I birthed my son vaginally and he was about 9 lbs. Also, I pushed him out in 15 minutes and he was my first (I pushed on my back too, silly me). My second, who was just under 8 lbs., I pushed out in 20 mins on hands and knees and she was a waterbirth. I think prenatal yoga was KEY for me. It just really worked on opening up my pelvis and making it easy for me to get into positions that were optimal for birthing.

It's so hard to be in the position you're in as a "patient" in labor. To have to advocate for yourself while trying to concentrate on the most intense physical and emotional event of life. When the "experts" start telling you you're baby is in distress, decels, you may feel really helpless and you are definately in an extremely vulnerable and persuasive state. Many times we're afraid not to listen. When you're in the hospital the burden is on you to know when things are truly emergency, or if it's just hospital staff being overly cautious, impatient, etc.

Do yourself a favor, stay home. Trust your body. Begin a journey to heal yourself from your hang-ups about your first birth. Really work to get away from the fear of labor, and move toward liberations and empowerment. It is a spiritual/cosmic journey. You CAN do this!
#42 of 49 Old 10-18-2007, 10:55 PM

to the OP: I don't see that "everyone" is against c-section. Simply unecessary ones that can be more harm then good. I'm all for women choosing how to give birth and feeling empowered by birth, whatever style of birth they choose to have.

Its, no doubt a hard choice. But don't feel pressured to have a VBAC just because everyone else is doing it. :

You need to gather all the information you can about your birth, weigh how you felt about it, find out if you are pregnant, and look into the options in your area. don't feel rushed to make the decision before you even have a positive test

goodluck.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#43 of 49 Old 10-19-2007, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies5 View Post

Its, no doubt a hard choice. But don't feel pressured to have a VBAC just because everyone else is doing it. :

You need to gather all the information you can about your birth, weigh how you felt about it, find out if you are pregnant, and look into the options in your area. don't feel rushed to make the decision before you even have a positive test

goodluck.
No doubt, well said, note taken.

And oh, yeah, strike one, got my period today. I guess I should've figured that my luck wouldn't be THAT good the second time around. The first time I got pregnant on the first try after stopping the pill, not this time though. It would've been so cool too cause then this baby would have had the same due date as my son. Oh well. Now it may get tricky cause I've been on the b/c pill for YEARS so I don't even know what my normal cycle is. The pill made me a 28 day cycle female. But now here I got my period at day 26.

Anyway, at least I have PLENTY of time to come to a decision. Thanks all!
#44 of 49 Old 10-19-2007, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anudi01 View Post
I have narrow hips, no waist, typical athletic body. I'm short, small framed, all that. I birthed my son vaginally and he was about 9 lbs. Also, I pushed him out in 15 minutes and he was my first (I pushed on my back too, silly me). My second, who was just under 8 lbs., I pushed out in 20 mins on hands and knees and she was a waterbirth. I think prenatal yoga was KEY for me. It just really worked on opening up my pelvis and making it easy for me to get into positions that were optimal for birthing.

It's so hard to be in the position you're in as a "patient" in labor. To have to advocate for yourself while trying to concentrate on the most intense physical and emotional event of life. When the "experts" start telling you you're baby is in distress, decels, you may feel really helpless and you are definately in an extremely vulnerable and persuasive state. Many times we're afraid not to listen. When you're in the hospital the burden is on you to know when things are truly emergency, or if it's just hospital staff being overly cautious, impatient, etc.

Do yourself a favor, stay home. Trust your body. Begin a journey to heal yourself from your hang-ups about your first birth. Really work to get away from the fear of labor, and move toward liberations and empowerment. It is a spiritual/cosmic journey. You CAN do this!
Thanks, that was very helpful!

Yep, me too, athletic type, far from the curvy type. I used to have a waist at least, but now after years of weight training, I don't have much of one anymore so now I'm even less curvy than I was to begin with which wasn't much!
#45 of 49 Old 10-19-2007, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adasmommy View Post
I have trouble with short posts Sorry, but I thought of something else :
Heh, you and me both, trust me, no need to be sorry!
#46 of 49 Old 10-19-2007, 12:37 AM
PPK

I wanted to give you some support no matter what your decision. I can't imagine having to make that decision, so I give you alot of credit for even considering a vbac.

Only you know your circumstances and only you know what your 'gut instinct' is on this. Do what feels right to you and also what is prudent given your prior birth.

I'm a huge natural childbirth believer, however, I would be hesitant to do a HB if I wasn't close to a good hospital and had difficulties arise in previous labors. Maybe I'd try to give birth at the hospital that you went to prior, but forgo the epi, and see how things progress...if everything's fine and you have lo vaginal, great...and if not, well, you're right there and it'll hopefully go as well as the first! I would bring a doula or a mw with me though to help get into better positions, etc..

Healthy wishes!
#47 of 49 Old 10-19-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoAlley View Post
And oh, yeah, strike one, got my period today.
I'm sorry! What a let-down. Well, at least you're this far ahead of the game when you do concieve!
#48 of 49 Old 10-19-2007, 02:15 AM

Sorry mama. Hope next month is the one for you

Jen

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#49 of 49 Old 10-19-2007, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrose9 View Post
I wanted to give you some support no matter what your decision. I can't imagine having to make that decision, so I give you alot of credit for even considering a vbac.

Only you know your circumstances and only you know what your 'gut instinct' is on this. Do what feels right to you and also what is prudent given your prior birth.

I'm a huge natural childbirth believer, however, I would be hesitant to do a HB if I wasn't close to a good hospital and had difficulties arise in previous labors. Maybe I'd try to give birth at the hospital that you went to prior, but forgo the epi, and see how things progress...if everything's fine and you have lo vaginal, great...and if not, well, you're right there and it'll hopefully go as well as the first! I would bring a doula or a mw with me though to help get into better positions, etc..

Healthy wishes!
Thanks, that means a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amygoforth View Post
I'm sorry! What a let-down. Well, at least you're this far ahead of the game when you do concieve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bugs View Post
Sorry mama. Hope next month is the one for you

Jen
Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page