snack ideas for labor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-28-2007, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for ideas for good foods/snacks for labor...We're birthing at a birthing center and I want to bring food that will give me energy and stamina throughout labor! I happen to be vegan so I'm especially looking for vegan ideas...any suggestions?
#2 of 17 Old 10-28-2007, 09:54 PM

I was going to suggest honey, but you're vegan. I'd go with something easy to digest and that doesn't look bad coming back up should that happen. Diluted fruit juice? I'm not sure if molasses would work the same way...
#3 of 17 Old 10-28-2007, 11:47 PM

I didn't eat at all during my labour, but I will have some things ready if I want to this time.

I would suggest Walker's Oat Cakes; they are a bit like sawdust at first until you're used to them, so start eating them now if you'll consider having them around- and the Highland ones are easier to take at first than the fine oat cakes, ime, but the fine ones are easier to chew and will dissolve in your mouth whereas the highland ones are baked with whole cracked wheat and require lots of chewing. I am actually officially addicted to them since I finished off the first box a few months ago Oh, the highland style has wheat and 1/2g sugar per cake; the fine oatcakes have no sugar or wheat, just oats, baking soda, sea salt and vegetable oil. They are not organic, and I really wish they were, but our choices are limited up here. Anyway, I can eat a few of those anytime and feel back up to speed again, and they are great for settling my stomach.

I'll also have lots of organic juice and pure vitamin C around. I really doubt I'll want anything else. Avocadoes might be a nice high-energy fruit to cut open and take by the spoonful- also so soothing to the stomach. Properly steeped Yerba Mate- full of nutrients, mild- not recommended for pg, but you'll be done by then and the reason is that it suppresses appetite by giving so many nutrients without caloric intake- dangerous for pg and nursing, but you won't be in danger at that stage and as long as you also take food if you are actually hungry, the yerba mate could just carry you through until you're done.

Just some ideas I've had kicking around on the same subject. I hope you have a wonderful birth!!!

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#4 of 17 Old 10-28-2007, 11:55 PM

One thing I loved immediately after delivery was frozen grape juice boxes from TJ's. I couldn't get enough of them! Because they were still frozen - 6+ hours after we got to the hospital, my doula spooned the slushy out to me. I think I had 3 of them after the birth.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 17 Old 10-29-2007, 12:03 AM

Keep it simple. I know some women are hungry during labor, but I didn't feel much like eating. It's like when you are running a race or in a hard aerobics class, food just doesn't sound very good. I would suggest freezing Gatorade to eat like a popsicle. Have some fresh cut fruit on hand and maybe some simple crackers.

: 10/06 : 10/09
#6 of 17 Old 10-29-2007, 10:23 AM

I didn't want to eat in labor either, but I drank about 7 gatorades afterward. Definitely make sure you've got something on hand to rehydrate yourself! The frozen type sounds pretty amazing...

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#7 of 17 Old 10-29-2007, 04:43 PM

Just a few suggestions:

-Vegetable broth
-Applesauce
-Crackers
-Bread with jam
-Fruit leather

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#8 of 17 Old 10-29-2007, 05:03 PM

How about nuts? I ate some of those in labor. Lots of energy in a small package.

Also, yes, bring snacks! If you don't want 'em, your husband might! (Mine finished ALL our snacks in the end.)

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#9 of 17 Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 PM

In early labor (up until 4 cms or so) I was munching away on PB&J sandwiches and sitting on a yoga ball, watching Sex and the City DVDs. Good times...

Once I was further along I really wasn't hungry - at all. Eat earlier when you're hungry.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#10 of 17 Old 10-29-2007, 07:56 PM

Here's my [vegan] labor food list:

For early labor, or if I'm feeling particularly hungry:
my favorite "chicken" ranch burger from a local vegan place
Thai papaya salad
pineapple gazpacho

For later:
smoothies
miso soup
fruit leathers
toast/crackers with peanut butter
agave sticks (like honey sticks, but with agave; Stash Tea makes them)
favorite fruit juices, both frozen into ice cubes and diluted with water
recharge
#11 of 17 Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions...I've added to our snack bag!
#12 of 17 Old 11-09-2007, 11:00 PM

I also wasn't hungry during labor.

But I was HUNGRY after the birth. My midwife doesn't recommend to bring snacks (she doesn't not recommend them, she just doesn't care either way), but she requires that I bring a meal for myself to have afterwards.

I do pack snacks for DH though.

aven
#13 of 17 Old 11-10-2007, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I puked up everything I tried to eat or drink during 40 hours of labor. But boy, I think one of the best meals I EVER have had was the miso soup after I gave birth!

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#14 of 17 Old 11-10-2007, 03:52 AM

Well, for my labor snack DP started cutting up fresh fruit after I got in the birth tub. It sounded good at the time, but before he could slice a banana I didn't want it anymore because I was in transition! It ended up being a great post labor snack though

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#15 of 17 Old 11-10-2007, 04:38 AM

I liked eating Jello and drinking Gatoraide when I was in labor.
I didnt eat much but my midwives kept me drinking near constantly. Always putting the staw in my mouth. It REALLY helped even though i had a really fast ( 3 hours) labor. After i gave birth I was starving. I delivered an 11 lb baby and i had room to eat finally hehe. Bring a big meal and drink OJ afterwords.
#16 of 17 Old 11-10-2007, 02:33 PM

Make some strong raspberry leaf tea and sweeten it with agave, then put it in an ice cube tray or a popsicle mold.

Sorbet and miso soup are good too.
#17 of 17 Old 11-10-2007, 02:36 PM

Cookies, specifically cookies like oatmeal or molasses. Muffins. Fruit juice. Nuts. Things that are easy to grab and are calorie dense. And then be prepared to be the most starving you've ever been in your life after the birth, and plan accordingly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page