What do you wish you had known before giving birth? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 05-07-2008, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#62 of 69 Old 05-07-2008, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nummies View Post
I wish that I had known to seek more support. DH is great but he really couldn't give me the kind of support that I needed then. My midwife was horrible and didn't show up at the hospital until after I gave into the pain for an epidural. I wish that I had hired a doula and birthed at home. :
Mama, I'm so sorry!

As for me, I wish I would have exercised more during pregnancy. Being in better physical shape may have made my loooooooong labor more bearable.

ETA: I wish I would have known about MDC, especially this forum!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#63 of 69 Old 05-08-2008, 01:22 AM

I wish I had known that labor and birth are far more manageable than I imagined. I was waiting for it to get REALLY bad, and it never did.

I wish I had had enough faith and trust in my body to birth at home (instead of a hospital), so our daughter could have entered this world more gently.

Next time...
#64 of 69 Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 AM

Well, I guess in the back of my mind I knew about these things. But I wish when I was laboring and not progressing past 1 cm (water was broken though), that my MWs had suggested going home for a while, nipple stimulation, herbs, castor oil, or other methods other than pitocin or cervadil. IMO those things should only be a last resort. Luckily the birth turned out fine but it was not the all natural experience I had hoped for. Someone bringing up those things could have helped me- I was very exhausted after days of prodromal labor and willing to listen to whatever they told me.

Also I wish like the pp that I had the faith in my body to birth #1 at home.... i'm going for it this time too
#65 of 69 Old 05-08-2008, 11:55 AM

I wish I had known that there was other birth options besides hospitals and "do what we say".

That there are nurses out there who stick their hand up in you and then have the nerve to be rude afterwards just because you're excited about having your first baby. That wasn't in the "What to Expect" book!

That typical non-evidence based practices in hospitals can do more harm than good.
#66 of 69 Old 05-08-2008, 12:04 PM

I wish I had known that contractions with pitocin are not natural, and that they are exactly the situation calling for an epidural.
#67 of 69 Old 05-08-2008, 01:31 PM

I wish I had known about homebirth.
#68 of 69 Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 PM

I wish I had known about postpartum bleeding. We were broke at the time baby came, and I didn't own any panties (not because of money, just cause I don't like them) or pads. So I couldn't go out and buy them. I had to ask a few different nurses for pads and those mesh panties to take home with me. And when those ran out I had to ask my sister to buy some for me. I wish I had been prepared.

I wish I had known that that awful lab tech was going to stick her finger in my day old baby's mouth so I could have kept her out of my room altogether.

caffix.gif

#69 of 69 Old 05-09-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post
I wish I had known that that awful lab tech was going to stick her finger in my day old baby's mouth so I could have kept her out of my room altogether.
Ewww...why did she do that?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page