Birth trauma/PTSD resources for healing - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 11-26-2007, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 12-12-2007, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

bump
I need to add a note to this later tonight.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#33 of 46 Old 12-12-2007, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
good list of things- maybe boiled down to a sticky or something so it can be found? ......
#34 of 46 Old 12-16-2007, 12:41 AM

There is a birth trauma community on livejournal.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#35 of 46 Old 01-08-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

A new article from MWT "Entering Motherhood with PTSD"
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...ing_trauma.asp

Linda

#36 of 46 Old 01-13-2008, 01:31 PM

I'm currently writing a white paper for ICAN on the topic of PTSD...and so many things are coming up. More info than I ever expected to see. It's so sad that so many women need to talk about their traumatic births.

I am one of these moms. I had very bad PTSD after my son's birth. I wrote about all the details here on my blog. If it would help you to know that you're not alone, you can read my story (I don't hold anything back!):
http://bostonhealthcoach.blogspot.com/

I'm still putting together the white paper... so I don't have all of my resources together yet... but I can say that there are a few resources that I think would be helpful for any moms who are trying to help themselves recover from PTSD.

1. The first thing that's so important is to know that it's not your fault. It's not your fault. It's real, and it stinks, but it's not your fault. But you will get better. Even if it feels like you won't. You will.

2. I want to encourage moms suffering from PTSD to sign up for a Conscious Woman webinar being done by Sharon Storton of Solace. I got the chance to listen in to Sharon's presentation last week, and it was amazing. SO many good facts and helpful info for moms who are suffering from PTSD. Here's the info:
http://www.consciouswoman.org/2007/1...ood-disorders/

3. EMDR is a treatment option that is proven to be VERY effective for trauma. If you go to a typical care provider, they won't officially diagnose you with PTSD unless you meet all 7 criteria from the DSM. But even if you only have one or two symptoms, you should seek treatment... because just one or two symptoms can totally wreak havoc on your life.

If left untreated, PTSD can linger, and can turn into generalized anxiety disorder or PPD, so please ask for help.

4. EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) helps you to release the emotions and trauma associated with your birth. It is usually effective in 2-4 sessions, and works fast. It is proven to work... and to learn more, you can go here:
http://www.emdr.com/

I'm looking to include mom's personal PTSD stories and examples in my PTSD white paper for ICAN... so if anyone is willing to share their story with me, I'd be honored to read it. My email is: mom2ewc@yahoo.com

I'll post again once the white paper is done so you can see all the great resources and info available.
#37 of 46 Old 02-16-2008, 06:44 PM

ohmygosh, i am so excited we got a stickey for this! i am literally doing a happy dance. i'd given up on this, and here it is!!! huzzah.

thank you thank you thank you.
xoxoxoxoxox

i have to second the EFT, and also suggest the shortcut version, tapping.

yay!!!!!
thank you, and hugs and healing vibes to all.
#38 of 46 Old 03-10-2008, 02:02 PM

After a suggestion from Georgia that I place it here, I am sharing a link to a story I recently wrote for a feminist website on birth rape. It was also picked up and run by truebirth.com.

Not having suffered through birth trauma myself, I can only hope that I did the topic a modicum of justice. If anyone has feedback on how I couldn've improved it or what you liked, please feel free to let me know via PM or on this thread. Thank you!

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#39 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Although there are other sites in other countries where you can submit your story, there is a new blog here in the US that is asking for submissions of stories about birth trauma and birth rape.

If you think this may be a healing experience for you, here is the link to Christy's blog spot.
www.thejourneyofanapprentice.blogspot.com

Her purpose in this request is to give a voice to women who have, and continue to suffer from what happened at the birth of their child or children. In a larger sense it will also let women know that they are not alone in what happened or how they are feeling.

#40 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post
Although there are other sites in other countries where you can submit your story, there is a new blog here in the US that is asking for submissions of stories about birth trauma and birth rape.

If you think this may be a healing experience for you, here is the link to Christy's blog spot.
www.thejourneyofanapprentice.blogspot.com

Her purpose in this request is to give a voice to women who have, and continue to suffer from what happened at the birth of their child or children. In a larger sense it will also let women know that they are not alone in what happened or how they are feeling.
The link doesn't work.

Also, just to note, this is someone's blog, not a website that has been set up specifically for birth trauma. It may be wise to read a few posts first and get a feel for where you are posting a very intimate part of yourself.
#41 of 46 Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 AM

another resource for those who are using tapping or eft in their healing journey.... this article from the eft site.
#42 of 46 Old 06-25-2008, 01:06 PM

subscribing
#43 of 46 Old 08-27-2008, 02:39 AM

Are any of these sites helpful for women who have suffered the traumatic birth of a baby who didn't survive? I am looking for a site that can be helpful in this situation, thanks.

A friend is in need of support.
#44 of 46 Old 08-27-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakies View Post
Are any of these sites helpful for women who have suffered the traumatic birth of a baby who didn't survive? I am looking for a site that can be helpful in this situation, thanks.

A friend is in need of support.
There is at least one women, I think two, that have posted on the Solace board whose babies did not survive, and there is definitely room for this aspect of birth trauma there. I think it really depends on what your friend is needing to work through right now. The birth trauma, or the grief of loosing a child. If she is really struggling with the birth trauma, then I recommend the Solace discussion board. If she is really struggling with the grief, I recommend finding her some resources that deal with that specifically. Or perhaps resources for both issues would work best for her.
#45 of 46 Old 02-02-2009, 01:35 PM

I just wanted to add a resource for women in SE Texas. There's a support group called Healing Birth: A Sisterhood of Survivors that meets once a month in Beaumont, Texas.

The support group is hosted by myself (doula & nurse) and my colleague (doula & CBE) and the focus of the group is on pregnancy, birth and motherhood. It's for anyone who has experienced a less than desireable birth experience, post partum depression/psychosis, miscarriages, unplanned c-section, etc. Really it's open to anyone who needs support.

We meet the 1st monday of the month at The Barking Dog Cafe (upstairs) the address is 493 Pearl St. The meeting starts at 6pm.

Feel free to come by and see us.
#46 of 46 Old 03-25-2009, 02:08 PM

Healing and Preventing Birth Trauma: www.solaceformothers.org
Telephone Support for Birth Trauma:
1-877-Solace 4
Support for Mothers Experiencing Birth Trauma:
http://forums.solaceformothers.org/mb/solaceformothers
Resources for Advocates and Supporters of Women with Birth Trauma:
http://forums.solaceformothers.org/mb/birthtrauma

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page