Talk to me about pitocin induction! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 12-07-2007, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
OMG. Please, please tell me someone didn't suggest using cytotec!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#62 of 66 Old 12-10-2007, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My doctor told me that I had to be induced because my blood pressure was so high and she warned me that I could have a stroke, so I agreed. Then, at the hospital, she said, "Let's try to have this baby tonight. I have a 6:00 a.m. flight to Vegas for a convention tomorrow."

The whole thing just felt wrong and made me anxious and nervous, which couldn't have helped my blood pressure at all. My body wasn't ready. They put Cervidel in me in the morning while I was strapped to machines by the bed and then again about 4 hours later. Then my doctor arrived and broke my water. Around 7:00, they gave me Pitocen and the contractions started fast and hard. I told them I wanted the epidural and they gave it to me about an hour later because there were four other women in line to get it before me. My DS arrived at 10:30 after two pushes.

Both of my hospital deliveries were horrible. I had really high blood pressure with my first baby, too and had to be induced. I arrived at the hospital around 7:00 p.m. and they put Cervidel in me. Around midnight, the nurse told my husband that nothing was going to happen and that he could go home to sleep since there was nowhere in the room for him to lie down. Well, a few hours later, I was having serious contractions. The nurse didn't believe me! They didn't start the Pitocen yet, so clearly I couldn't be going into labor. Well, around 5:00 a.m., I was straining in the bed and the nurse looked at me and asked me why I was pushing. Then she looked down and said the baby was coming right now! She and a couple other nurses came in and delivered the baby. My O.B. and more importantly, DH missed the whole thing.

I didn't know any better. I feel dumb for having so much faith and trust in my doctor and the nurses at the hospital, but there's nothing I can do about that now. I have two healthy babies and that's all that matters now.
#63 of 66 Old 12-10-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
OMG. Please, please tell me someone didn't suggest using cytotec!
The poster who suggested that is a very dear friend and honestly didn't know the controversy surrounding cytotec, and agreed to it becuase her doctor, whom she trusted, prescribed it. She very recently had a successful induction and very positive birth experience that involved cytotec. She wasn't aware that it carried any risks whatsoever until well after the birth, when I happened to mention something random I read on ICAN. She now knows that she was one of the lucky ones. I'm sure many of us wish we had more information to go on when we have to make those spur of the moment choices... I know I did.

.....and FYI- the original poster had her baby... no induction was needed:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=802922

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#64 of 66 Old 12-11-2007, 01:27 AM

Pitocin is the devil. It brings on the most painful, intense, unbearable contractions ever. I was doing just fine managing my contractions until a nurse suggsted Pitocin to make them "more efficient." I also had to have it a week after birth due to PPH and I was miserable, I laid in the ER bed moaning and clutching my belly. It felt like the most rotten menstrual cramps that just kept coming and coming and coming.

I didn't read the rest of this thread, but that's my personal experience with it. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone: it's very hard on your body AND your baby.
#65 of 66 Old 12-11-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklett View Post
The poster who suggested that is a very dear friend and honestly didn't know the controversy surrounding cytotec, and agreed to it becuase her doctor, whom she trusted, prescribed it. She very recently had a successful induction and very positive birth experience that involved cytotec. She wasn't aware that it carried any risks whatsoever until well after the birth, when I happened to mention something random I read on ICAN. She now knows that she was one of the lucky ones. I'm sure many of us wish we had more information to go on when we have to make those spur of the moment choices... I know I did.

.....and FYI- the original poster had her baby... no induction was needed:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=802922
Hi there... I've avoided this post but wanted to let you all know that I honestly know that I had no idea that cytotec is not for pregnant women (I hadn't seen any articles or posts against cytotec to warn me otherwise until sparklett brought it up one day when she though I knew when I was in labor). All I can say is that I had 2 tablets of cytotec with thankfully no complications but to be as informed as possible about the drugs and procedures wth L&D (I thought I was... )
#66 of 66 Old 12-11-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *HolisticMama* View Post
Did you need the drip the entire labor, or was there a point that you were able to have them stop it?
I have not been there done that, but I just visited a friend who had her baby 2 weeks ago. She went into the hospital 8 hours after her water broke and not in labor. They were pit happy - hooked her up right away - before she could even do anything about it! Anyway, she said they only had the pit on for about 30-60 minutes because then her ctx started on their own and she got them to turn it off. She went on to deliver her baby about 6 hours later with no other interventions.

So yes, it *can* be stopped.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page