Tell me about your transition(s) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 12-08-2007, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I spent transition in the labor tub. It took about an hour. It wasn't any more painful than the other contractions (but I was on Pitocin with no meds, so they were all pretty painful) and I didn't feel panicky. In fact, at first it felt like a second wind: I was so excited to be at 8 cm. Then I started feeling the urge to push. My midwife didn't want me to push at 8 cm and get a swollen cervix, so I had to concentrate really hard on not pushing. And that was extremely uncomfortable. I had to focus all my energy on keeping my vocalizations very low.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 50 Old 12-08-2007, 11:24 AM

I had a fun(?) transition, I guess it was fun because I like to thinkl about it and laugh when I tell about it now.

I'd been in the tub for about 4 hours when it was no longer comfortable to sit on my pelvis. This was a hospital bathtubtype deal, but they let me in even though my water had technically 'broken'. They got me out and onto a medicine ball which felt wonderful and I started sweating buckets and my water broke BIG time.
It wasn't painful, I just felt like I couldn't breathe. Every time I had a contraction I felt DS's feet pushingback HARD, and I couldn't catch my breath. Then I moved to the bed because I felt like I coudln't get my legs spread far enough apart. I sat on the bed and leaned on the medicine ball until I was ready to push. At that point I was making huge deep Ohhhhhhh's and trying to breath out each contraction(like I had a choice in exhaling!). I think that was the point I asked my dad to leave because he looked like he was about to faint!

By the end I was demanding the midwife to come and check me because at the top of each contraction I WAS pushing, no matter how hard I tried not to, I couldn't stop! When she finally arrived sure enough I was ready!

Pushing was a huge refeif at that point, although the ring of fire was certainly that. I stayed intact though, due to my midwife's skillful ministrations! She said I had very thick unstretchy tissue down there.

Oh, did I mention puking the entire labor?

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#33 of 50 Old 12-08-2007, 09:47 PM

I didn't have any kind of transition. I started feeling the urge to push while in the birth tub, called my midwife in to check me, and I was 9 centimeters. I kept thinking all through labor "Okay when do I go through transition, I know I'm supposed to throw up or something right?" Never happened. The only truely awful part was having an anterior lip and having to wait for that to get out of the way so I could push. My labor lasted 11ish hours, with 6 hours spent in the birth tub.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#34 of 50 Old 12-10-2007, 12:56 AM

I have had two very unpainful births. I didnt' notice a distinct transition with either one of them.

I think i was made to give birth. i could do it every day! It's pregnancy that I don't like!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#35 of 50 Old 12-10-2007, 02:01 AM

i was saying it was too hard and i couldn't do it throghout my labor, but i think transition actually was occuring when i said to my husband, "i'm giving up, i want to go to the hospital." my husband basically said no(thank god) and goaded me into sitting on the toilet backwards while he squeezed my hips(we had some suspicions of asynclitisim due to a really sproatic labor pattern.) I did that for 2 ctx or so that i did not handle well at all(screaming shaking violently) and then i got into the pool again and had a ctx that didn't "feel right." what didn't feel right was actually the urge to push.

I guess that was transition for me, maybe it was longer than that, but i wasn't doing internal exams, so i don't know.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#36 of 50 Old 12-10-2007, 02:58 AM

I've given birth 4 times and have never noticed transition!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#37 of 50 Old 12-12-2007, 07:31 PM

I never realized I was in transition. I thought I was in "pre-labor". When my MW stopped by the house to check me we found that I was at 10 cm and fully effaced, with a bulging water bag.

Pushing, on the other hand, was the pits!
#38 of 50 Old 12-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Banned

I threw up and completely lost my mind.

I had no sense of time, so have no idea how long it lasted. I just remember that "there is no way in hell I can do this" feeling. Feeling like I couldn't breath, or catch my breath - almost hyperventilating. Totally anxious - looking around like I wanted to find an escape route. Just get up and go, you know?

My aunt Shari (5 kids) was my coach, and I'm sure she was talking to me the whole way through, but I can distinctly remember hearing her say one time "yes, Crystal, you CAN DO THIS. Focus." And then I did.

DD was born 15 minutes later.
#39 of 50 Old 12-13-2007, 01:54 PM

Transition was pretty quick and consisted of a lot of pooping and puking. It may sound funny, but it actually felt good to release everything.

Lydia
#40 of 50 Old 12-13-2007, 03:31 PM

the first time, i threw up once, and i was freaking out on the nurses who wouldnt leave me alone, leading to my having a hard time dealing with what was going on because i couuldnt go inside myself and deal with it in peace.
i had to argue which just made me concentrate on trying to tell them off rather than labor. the entire thing, like i knew i had to go to the bathroom, and i needed to poo. "no you dont, its just pressure" yeah. whatever. i have enough muscle control to push those two places separately, and yes, i had to go to the freakin bathroom. it was pretty bad for a while there...

the second time, i felt like i was going to throw up for a couple minutes, but had no thoughts of needing help, no freaking out issues, nothing. i was left alone from 6cm (when we got to the bc) until after he was born except a couple times my brother came in to talk to me, and my 2yo was with me, but they both got the "you have to be quiet if i hurt' thing and i was fine. no noticeable transition stuff besides that but i i was hot and i feel like im going to puke when im hot, i had to turn the cold water on so thats probably why. pushing was fine, i was on my knees, first i was like "okay, his head is right there!" then pushed a tad and his water broke. then i looked down and felt and realized ALL of that region of my body was bulging and i realized it looked like it really was a bowling ball trying to come out
i thought a lot about the feelings and everything, seriously tlling to myself in my head. "i need to push now." literally "oh wow, everything is all huge feeling and pushed out, no wonder people make bowling ball comments!" and smiling... "i wonder if someone is going to come in here? i hope not!" between waiting for contractions(they never get on top of each other for me), and even thinking about how well i was doing with my pushing DURING pushing (one little time which broke his water, i was trying to see if i was ready, though i could feel the top of his head through my cervix, i wasnt positive i was as complete as i needed to be to birth him then twice more to birth him), and other weird stuff and was really calm with his. noone knew when he was born and i was asked a lot why i didnt scream. either for the MWs or because of the pain- which wasnt that bad at all this time. people who werent there dont believe me but hey. :
#41 of 50 Old 12-13-2007, 06:15 PM

I think the main difference for me was that I started to feel pushy....my body was really bearing down on it's own (even tho' I wasn't fully dilated yet).
#42 of 50 Old 12-13-2007, 06:45 PM

I didn't recognize an actual transition although there was a point where it got really intense and I started having double peaking contractions. But it lasted a really long time (an hour or two) and when it was over is when we started having trouble and decided to transfer to the hospital. So maybe just the length of my entire labor, the long intense phase and then the decision to transfer suppressed or overshadowed it. I started feeling real pushing contractions in the car on the way to the hospital so transition must have been sometime during all that chaos.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#43 of 50 Old 12-13-2007, 10:07 PM

Based on symptoms (length of time of contractions, no rest between contractions, vomiting, etc.) I was in "transition" for hours during my DD's birth.

Transition lasted about 5-6 hours during her birth and I did worry toward the end that my midwives were going to transfer us to the hospital.

I never felt hysterical or out of control (well...except the time my thighs were hurting so bad because I developed lactic acid build-up, but that didn't last too long) and really wondered why there were so many stories about moms freaking out during transition.
#44 of 50 Old 12-13-2007, 10:21 PM

I have precipitous labors/deliveries, so what seems like the beginning is practically transition. I never vomited or anything; DH is still waiting for me to scream, etc. I internalize pain. Lucky him.

The longest/most I've ever pushed is about 30 seconds. I'm extremely lucky.
#45 of 50 Old 12-13-2007, 11:14 PM

I'm not exactly sure. I've only done it once, and when I thought I was in transition, the doc measured and said I was only at 4 cm...it was kind of weird. I went through two phases: 1) I started having VERY strong contractions, fairly close together with an urge to vomit, though I just retched slightly and never actually vomited. I remember thinking "I get it now! This is why women say they have the urge to vomit!" because it felt kind of like a whole body puke - like the urge started in my cervix and worked its way up. It was weird, but I was stoked because I was positive I was in transition. 2) Here's where things got bad - I started having contractions right on top of each other with no breaks. And I mean no breaks. Not even the short 30-second breaks I've heard we're supposed to get in transition. : AND I was having an uncontrollable pushing urge. This happened just after the vomity phase passed and the doc said I was only dilated to 4. So of course they told me not to push, which was the most godawful pain ever. I never, ever want to go through NOT being allowed to push when my body is telling me it's doing it anyway.

So! Maybe it was a two-stage transition, but that second part was the pits. It only lasted 30 minutes, fortunately.
#46 of 50 Old 12-14-2007, 11:15 AM

I begged for heroin. (It was the first drug I could think of.)

I was at 5 cm for about 12 hours, so I thought I was still far from the end and I just couldn't take it anymore. But I went from 5 cm at 8 AM (shift change at the birth center, wouldn't you know?) to baby in arms at 10AM, so transition and pushing were all one big blur.

DS (2) and someone new in March 2011
#47 of 50 Old 12-15-2007, 12:38 PM

Transition for me was super quick.
I had a few ctx really close together, and I got hot all of the sudden. I think I said to my husband "I think something is happening because this contraction isnt going away".
Then I was pushing about 5 minutes later.
#48 of 50 Old 12-17-2007, 06:05 PM

My family jokes that they know i'm "getting close" when i turn into an utter biatch. LOL Really though, I like to labor with people around me but NOT talking to me or eachother. I guess it's having them there that is comfroting but the talking or touvhing me is distracting. As I hit transition I've been known to verbally lash out at people who move into my "zone" or make too much noise. LOL
#49 of 50 Old 12-18-2007, 01:46 AM

Seriously, just reading these makes my skin crawl. I have had 5 babies, and only the last two were natural. The first time I hit transition, I though the tub was too hot and I needed to get out. SO I did and pushed the baby out on the bed. Second time, the labor went MUCH faster and almost as soon as I got in the tub, I felt like I was too hot and wanted to get out. I literally lose all control in transition. It's enough for me not to want to have anymore kids. If I do get pregnant again, I have thought about hypnobirthing, maybe then it wouldn't be as bad.
#50 of 50 Old 12-18-2007, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page