Newborn procedures - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-04-2007, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I am expecting my second baby in 2 months. I didn't have a clear objection to the Vit K and eye ointment with my first, but I would like to refuse them with the second baby.
I know some states mandate the use of both, but does anyone know where to find that written? I am in NJ and so far google search haven't brought up anything specific.
I would like to read what the law states before having to fight it in the hospital.
Thank you for any help.

Mom of DS (07/2006) and DD (01/2008)
#2 of 8 Old 12-04-2007, 05:48 PM

It is my understanding that it doesn't matter what they "mandate" - have an excemption on hand & they have to honor it. Good luck!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 8 Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 PM

It is your right to refuse medical treatment for yourself and your dependents.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#4 of 8 Old 12-04-2007, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

I know I can refuse any treatment, but I would still like to read what the law says (assuming there is one in NJ). Also, what kind of exemption would I need? I have it in my birth plan, but I don't have any official letter of exemption or legal statement.

#5 of 8 Old 12-04-2007, 08:46 PM

When my aunt had my cousin, about 6 years ago, she objected to all the newborn stuff and they threatened they would call CPS and hold the baby long enough to have all the procedures done and my aunt would be arrested. This was in Arizona and I don't know if it was just that hospital or if it was state-wide.

Similarly, my sister had a baby 2 1/2 years ago who was only 5 lbs, 12 oz. The hospital would not allow my sister to take her baby home until she reached 6 lbs. even though the baby was full term. When my sister asked what would happen if she did it anyway a CPS social worker was summoned to bully her and threaten to take her baby away.

For me these instances were just reinforcement for my decision to birth my babies anywhere but a hospital.

I would recommend calling the hospital and asking what their policies are and asking them how you can find information on mandated procedures.
#6 of 8 Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_in_PA View Post

For me these instances were just reinforcement for my decision to birth my babies anywhere but a hospital.
I wouldn't feel safe anywhere that I percieved a very real threat.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#7 of 8 Old 12-05-2007, 03:58 AM

If you feel comfortable doing so, ask your doctor what usually happens when someone refuses this stuff. I know that where I am you just say NO and they give you a dirty look and make you sign a waiver form and that's that.

Check out this page I found: http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/newjersey.htm

It gives some laws, chapter and verse, and says this:

For those who are planning a hospital birth but want to evade invasive routine post natal procedures such as a Hep B shot, vitamin K injection, newborn screening, or the application of silver nitrate in the newborn's eyes, a very specific birthing plan must be submitted to the hospital in advance of the birth. Hospital staff must be informed, in advance, of your needs, wants and desires where your baby and birthing experience are concerned. The same applies to midwives.
#8 of 8 Old 12-05-2007, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the information.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page