Mothering Forum banner

Newborn procedures

686 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  lemurik 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am expecting my second baby in 2 months. I didn't have a clear objection to the Vit K and eye ointment with my first, but I would like to refuse them with the second baby.
I know some states mandate the use of both, but does anyone know where to find that written? I am in NJ and so far google search haven't brought up anything specific.
I would like to read what the law states before having to fight it in the hospital.
Thank you for any help.

#4 ·
I know I can refuse any treatment, but I would still like to read what the law says (assuming there is one in NJ). Also, what kind of exemption would I need? I have it in my birth plan, but I don't have any official letter of exemption or legal statement.

#5 ·
When my aunt had my cousin, about 6 years ago, she objected to all the newborn stuff and they threatened they would call CPS and hold the baby long enough to have all the procedures done and my aunt would be arrested. This was in Arizona and I don't know if it was just that hospital or if it was state-wide.

Similarly, my sister had a baby 2 1/2 years ago who was only 5 lbs, 12 oz. The hospital would not allow my sister to take her baby home until she reached 6 lbs. even though the baby was full term. When my sister asked what would happen if she did it anyway a CPS social worker was summoned to bully her and threaten to take her baby away.

For me these instances were just reinforcement for my decision to birth my babies anywhere but a hospital.

I would recommend calling the hospital and asking what their policies are and asking them how you can find information on mandated procedures.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama_in_PA View Post

For me these instances were just reinforcement for my decision to birth my babies anywhere but a hospital.

I wouldn't feel safe anywhere that I percieved a very real threat.

#7 ·
If you feel comfortable doing so, ask your doctor what usually happens when someone refuses this stuff. I know that where I am you just say NO and they give you a dirty look and make you sign a waiver form and that's that.

Check out this page I found: http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/newjersey.htm

It gives some laws, chapter and verse, and says this:

For those who are planning a hospital birth but want to evade invasive routine post natal procedures such as a Hep B shot, vitamin K injection, newborn screening, or the application of silver nitrate in the newborn's eyes, a very specific birthing plan must be submitted to the hospital in advance of the birth. Hospital staff must be informed, in advance, of your needs, wants and desires where your baby and birthing experience are concerned. The same applies to midwives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.