Holding baby upside down by one leg? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-08-2007, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my nephew (at home, staying intact and loved by all) was born yesterday and my BIL was telling me that one of the midwives picked him (the babe, not the BIL) up by one leg to see if his head tilted or didn't. It didn't do what it should have so she did a little rubbing on his neck and then when she held him up by one leg again, his head did what it was supposed to.

It sounded like craniosacral therapy maybe but he wasn't sure.

Has anyone heard of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 12-08-2007, 07:29 PM

No. I've never heard of that before, but there would be no.way anyone is picking up my baby by the leg (or any body part for that matter) esp. in those magical first few hours. Interesting...I'm sure someone will have more info for you.

Congratulations, btw

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#3 of 25 Old 12-08-2007, 07:33 PM

Odd. Never heard of it & would never allow it.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#4 of 25 Old 12-09-2007, 08:41 PM

My chiropractor did this for ds when he was... can't remember... a month or two old? I was laying on the table and he held him right over me. The way he turned more to one side than the other indicated that he needed a little adjustment. After the adjustment he was overall much straighter, calmer, and seemed much more comfortable nursing.

I think it was really helpful, so I don't know if I'd have a big problem with it right after birth, depending on the situation and all. The baby's used to hanging upside down in the womb so it's not like it's an unusual position for him, provided it's done gently and hanging right over mom. But it's weird if the midwives didn't say why they did this, exactly. (Maybe they did and your BIL forgot in all the excitement?)
#5 of 25 Old 12-09-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebemommy View Post
My chiropractor did this for ds when he was... can't remember... a month or two old? I was laying on the table and he held him right over me. The way he turned more to one side than the other indicated that he needed a little adjustment. After the adjustment he was overall much straighter, calmer, and seemed much more comfortable nursing.

I think it was really helpful, so I don't know if I'd have a big problem with it right after birth, depending on the situation and all. The baby's used to hanging upside down in the womb so it's not like it's an unusual position for him, provided it's done gently and hanging right over mom. But it's weird if the midwives didn't say why they did this, exactly. (Maybe they did and your BIL forgot in all the excitement?)
I think that might have had something to do with it....
#6 of 25 Old 12-09-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebemommy View Post

Our chiro did this for Thomas at 4 days old. He also told us to do it from time to time to make sure his neck turns both ways.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#7 of 25 Old 12-10-2007, 12:55 AM

Fascinating!
#8 of 25 Old 12-10-2007, 04:10 AM

LOL That reminds me of a story my mom told about my oldest brother. His grandmother turned him upside down after he was born and held him for a couple of seconds and then declared "Now he won't get liver grown". WTF? : My mom never figured out what that meant.

My chiro did tell me to hold DS by the feet occasionally after he was born. I imagine it is a gentle way of adjusting the back.
#9 of 25 Old 12-10-2007, 04:32 AM

Routinely spinning babies around and turning them upside down helps their vestibular sense develop, which improves gross motor skills (particularly balance). So long as baby is held securely but gently, and I knew what the goal was ;-), and it didn't interfere with immediate bonding/skin-to-skin, I doubt it would bug me.
#10 of 25 Old 12-10-2007, 04:38 AM

I'm in Germany right now, but my ped did the same thing with my son at about 5 days and again at 2 months. He held him by both feet, but he would lift one foot about 3 inches higher than the other and then switch. He said it was important for his spine and neck as well. It didn't seem to bother my son and I saw no reason to object.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#11 of 25 Old 12-10-2007, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I seen it done with 2 feet, the baby will twist one way or another -don't know how I feel about it-as an adjustment and if it is necessary so soon after birth- also my oldest daughter was born in 1978 and the doctor held her by her feet at birth and then when dh followed her to the nursery they also did it to measure her- I would say they were very rough when doing this
#12 of 25 Old 12-10-2007, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
LOL That reminds me of a story my mom told about my oldest brother. His grandmother turned him upside down after he was born and held him for a couple of seconds and then declared "Now he won't get liver grown". WTF? : My mom never figured out what that meant.

My chiro did tell me to hold DS by the feet occasionally after he was born. I imagine it is a gentle way of adjusting the back.
Cool, my nephew won't get "liver grown" either.

He had a very quick birth, and had been in face up position until almost the very end, so I wonder if that was why he needed an adjustment. They didn't do it with my niece when she was born 3 years ago, but she took 36 hours to get here.

The midwives are very gentle and wonderful. The baby is not measured or weighed right away. There was lots of skin to skin bonding time after the birth, and I suspect this was done while was sister was going to the bathroom or something.
#13 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 02:38 AM

Yeah, my chiro did that to my son when he was just a couple of days old. It is good and I will be doing it with all mine from now on. Helps to align the spine.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#14 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 02:54 AM

I have no idea, but this is about as priceless a thread title as you could ask for on a mothering board.
#15 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 04:16 PM

http://csumc.wisc.edu/AmericanLangua...amish&state=pa

I found this reference to being "liver grown". PA dutch anyone?

~Amy~ Wife to my best friend Brandon. Mama to my sweet girl Eden (11/6/06) and my little man Theo (6/25/09)
#16 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by herwitsend View Post
http://csumc.wisc.edu/AmericanLangua...amish&state=pa

I found this reference to being "liver grown". PA dutch anyone?
Cool. "Powwowing" sounds like Chest PT - where you cup your hands and pound on the back to get rid of phlegm.
#17 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 07:35 PM

lol I knew what it was (we have roots in that area).

MY mw didn't but I did it. for the spine. We had crazy fast births with the last two and I think it helps. They don't get upset or anything.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#18 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 07:54 PM

Immediately following the birth or are we talking like hours, days? I'm sincerely interested

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#19 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

My nephew was hours after birth.
#20 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 08:06 PM

I do hang babies upside down as a chiropractor, but never by only one leg. I've never seen or been taught anything chiropractically that would make that make sense....

I'd ask the midwife about it?
#21 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindi22 View Post
I do hang babies upside down as a chiropractor, but never by only one leg. I've never seen or been taught anything chiropractically that would make that make sense....

I'd ask the midwife about it?
It might have been both legs. Like I said, my BIL told me what they did and I think he was a little :: when it happened so maybe he thought it was just one leg.
#22 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
Immediately following the birth or are we talking like hours, days? I'm sincerely interested
Our Chiro did it four days later for our son, but that was as soon as we could get to him. For his own, he does it immediately after and several times over the next few weeks.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#23 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 PM

My Husband is a chiropractor and he does it to our babies too. Usually the day after they are born, just so we have all the time we want to bond. It can really help with nursing difficulties too. If baby has a breast preference etc...
He has to warn the new mommy's what he's doing first, it can be scary to watch someone take your baby and hang them by their feet, especially if you don't see that coming. Even with a warning and trust, they (mom's) seem uncomfortable.
#24 of 25 Old 12-12-2007, 12:51 AM

My OB doctor held Kayleigh upside down by both her legs. I didn't remember seeing it but when I took my digital pics to be developed I had seen where he'd done it and I was like what was he doing. Kayleigh was born not breathing so, I don't know. None of my other 2 kids were held upside down.
#25 of 25 Old 12-13-2007, 12:26 AM

my chiro held both legs...ds was a few days old I think. They check to see if there is a pronounced tilt to one side because sometimes a difficult birth, malposition, or whatever can do that and affect nursing or whatnot. He said he had a patient that after a forceps delivery simply would not turn to one side.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page