How quick did you progress? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Birth and Beyond > How quick did you progress?
goobergrl6's Avatar goobergrl6 06:13 PM 12-13-2007
I dunno... LOL! I was 4-5 cm with #1 and had no clue. With him I went into active labor at ab out 9pm got to hospital at about midnight and was 7cm and had him at 7:26

with #2 I got to the hospital and had him 13 mins later. I woke up at 6 am to pee and had some bloody show. (I was already 3 cm before this when they stopped my labor at 34 weeks) felt the first teeeeeeeeny tiny contraction at 6:30 ish and had him at 8:13 am. I think it would of been sooner if we had gotten to the hospital faster.

StrawberryFields's Avatar StrawberryFields 07:40 PM 12-13-2007
I can't believe all these 5 hour ish responses! This is a great thread! It is making me excited that maybe--just maybe--my second birth doesn't have to be a several day affair. After my marathon labor with ds I can't even imagine going from start to baby in only 5 or 6 hours or so. I can't wait to find out if that is what is in store for me this time!!
Airetauriel's Avatar Airetauriel 08:40 PM 12-13-2007
I've never had a VE so I have no idea when '0' occured....or any other number for that matter, but at noon I was napping and woke with a contraction. And at 3.11pm I was holding my baby. Sooooo, 3 hours and some minutes.

First baby, second pregnancy, home birth. I'd had nights of contractions in the weeks prior though, but I don't know how dilated I was at any stage, so it's a moot point really.

You're right, it doesn't have to be a marathon
dlm194's Avatar dlm194 09:32 PM 12-13-2007
I had 5 days of start and stop prodromal labor. On day 6, contractions started at 2am and went until 7pm the next evening so 41 hours total.

When I got to the hospital, I was 4cm and labored for 17 more hours before pushing my dd out.

I did Hypnobirthing and Hypnobabies so I was sure my labor wouldn't be that long but it was! I didn't use any drugs to augment or for pain relief.
RockStarMom's Avatar RockStarMom 09:37 PM 12-13-2007
I was a couple of centimeters dilated for several days before labor actually began.
I was in labor for 10 hours.
RedHen4's Avatar RedHen4 10:41 PM 12-13-2007
Well, my first was probably the only one that I started at a 0 with. The others I was probably 2 1/2 - 3 before labor actually started, but I have no idea with #5 because I wasn't checked!

Baby #1: 26 hours
Baby #2: 6 hours
Baby #3: induced. Spent hours on pitocin with nothing happening, but after my water was broken, he was here in about 2 hours.
Baby #4: Very erratic labor (posterior baby). First contraction about 1 p.m., then intermittently until they got somewhat regular in the evening. Baby born around 5 a.m.
Baby #5: 36 hours of labor. No kidding. Baby not positioned well, plus velamatous insertion of the umbilical cord.

Baby #6: ?? Strongly hoping for a repeat of #2!!
gcgirl's Avatar gcgirl 11:57 PM 12-13-2007
Well, when I checked into the hospital I was at 3cm, 20% effaced. This was 10 hours after my water broke, and I put off going in hoping to get contractions started at home, which they never did. They put me on pit at 9:30 PM, and supposedly I was only at 4 cm and 60% effaced at 3:00 AM, 5.5hours later, but 30 minutes after that I was complete and pushing. So...either the doc who measured me the second time was nuts, or I went from 4 to complete in 30 minutes. Total labor from pit induction to delivery was 6.75 hours.
Sonnenwende's Avatar Sonnenwende 01:32 AM 12-14-2007
I was 2-3cm for 4 weeks before giving birth.

I went from about 3cm to complete in 4 hours. I was given pitocin, but only after I was already completely dilated and pushing.
Spark's Avatar Spark 01:41 AM 12-14-2007
All natural homebirths. I used Hypnosis for childbirth for each www.imagerybirthing.com With each I had days/weeks/months of prodromal labor. I had so many false alarms by my 3rd baby my mantra was, "It's not labor unless the baby is crowning."

1st - 18 hours from water breaking to babe in arms. Posterior and compound presentation.

2nd - 4 1/2 hours from starting labor to babe in arms. Perfectly positioned thanks to www.spinningbabies.com

3rd - 1 hour, 40 minutes from water breaking to babe in arms. Perfectly positioned thanks to www.spinningbabies.com
mama to 2 girls's Avatar mama to 2 girls 01:49 AM 12-14-2007
DD1 was induced but it was 12 hrs.

DD2 was all natural...Total labor time including pushing was 4 hrs. BUT I went from 3 cm's to baby in my arms in only 1 hour!! : It was intense to say the least.
danotoyou2's Avatar danotoyou2 04:52 AM 12-14-2007
Labor started Sunday (2cm after a full day of ctx)...

Continued through Monday (dilated 5cm)...

Continued through Tuesday (went through transition, dilated to 8cm, then ctx diminished for 15 hours)...

Baby born Wednesday morning.

So, 3 full days. It was a great labor and birth.
Nan'sMom's Avatar Nan'sMom 08:59 AM 12-14-2007
Not a clue, since I didn't do VEs with either pregnancy. With dd1, water broke, first contraction 11 (? forgetting details right now) hours later, baby born, 6 (?) hours later. With dd2, 3 weeks of prodromal labor with possibly a slow leak, then 4 or so hours of "yup, baby's coming soon"...it's early morning and I'm fuzzy on the details right now, but that's more or less it.
starlein26's Avatar starlein26 12:50 AM 12-15-2007
Ds- water broke at 4:30am and he was in my arms at 10:05am

Dd- water broke at 3:00pm and she was in my arms at 6:10pm
cottonwood's Avatar cottonwood 05:58 PM 12-15-2007
With my first, it was six hours. (Although I'd been in labor for 50 hours before that.) With my three others I don't have any idea because I didn't allow cervical exams.
newlywaaz's Avatar newlywaaz 05:43 AM 12-17-2007
water broke around 12:30 (was already a bit dilated and effaced but not much), at hospital around 5, fully dilated and paying attention to contractions at 7, babe in arms at 8:40.
Jennisee's Avatar Jennisee 06:13 AM 12-17-2007
Almost 30 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
I can't believe all these 5 hour ish responses! This is a great thread! It is making me excited that maybe--just maybe--my second birth doesn't have to be a several day affair. After my marathon labor with ds I can't even imagine going from start to baby in only 5 or 6 hours or so. I can't wait to find out if that is what is in store for me this time!!
A big DITTO to that!
momtoKailee's Avatar momtoKailee 11:42 AM 12-17-2007
I count myself lucky that it took 7 hours from first contraction to baby in arms. Very surprising since it was my first and I'd always heard that first babies can take a long time to come.
jadzia's_mommy's Avatar jadzia's_mommy 02:19 PM 12-17-2007
I had 2 short and intense labors. With my first, I was a couple CM dilated for several days. The contractions started about 1:30 a.m. My midwife told me to try and get some sleep, but that wasn't happening, lol. They were a couple minutes apart very quickly, so we went to the birth center by 4 a.m., and my DD was born at 6:35 a.m.

With #2, we had a home birth. My water broke about 9:30 p.m., and the contractions started about 45 minutes after that. Again, it went really quickly. My MW got there by about midnight and DD#2 was born at 1:35 a.m. after less than 5 minutes of pushing. With DD #2 getting out of the water and sitting on the toilet really did the trick. After a few seconds of that I was ready to push.
burke-a-bee's Avatar burke-a-bee 02:32 PM 12-17-2007
With my third, I was checked at 40 weeks, no labor just BH and I was 5cm. A week later I finally went into labor. From first conttraction until he was in my arms 35 minutes.
Romana's Avatar Romana 04:47 PM 12-17-2007
I don't think I was at 0 when I went into labor. However, start to finish labor was 21 hours.
1  2

Up