CBE Classes Question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-24-2007, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong thread... feel free to move it if necessary.

Does anyone ever do Bradley classes WITH a HypnoBabies home study course?

The one criticism I've seen about Bradley is that some folks felt as though they didn't have enough concrete strategies to use when labor pain got intense. That scares me. On the other hand, I live in IL, am expecting my first, and there are no HypnoBabies classes anywhere near us. I just don't feel like doing a home study course would be enough for our first.

Going to Bradley classes, but also learning the hypnosis stuff on my own, sounds like it might be the way to go, but I dunno..... Can I do that? Is there any reason it would be a bad idea? Thanks, mommas!

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#2 of 8 Old 12-24-2007, 08:23 AM

There are some fundamental conflicts in philosophy between Bradley and Hypnobabies, and you might find your Bradley class contradicting your Hypnobabies studies, which can undermine how well the hypnosis works for you in labor. I've done both and liked them both and I think either way you'll be fine but probably I'd pick one if I were you. You could try Hypbirth instead, which is designed to be a compliment to other classes (I've never tried it, just heard stuff about it). Bradley really does offer a lot of ideas for being comfortable in labor-I found as a teacher that 90% of couples didn't practice them. Nothing will work (including Hypnobabies) if you don't practice the techniques. It's hard to teach yourself these things in labor. Better if you and your partner have established ways to help you relax well in advance.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#3 of 8 Old 12-24-2007, 09:13 PM

Like Sublime said, there are philosophical differences that don't really allow them to be compatible. The good news is that if you like Hypnobabies, it was created by a 10-year Bradley teacher, so it has a lot of great elements from Bradley. If you do the Hypnobabies home study you do have access to a Hypnobabies instructor to call if you have any questions.

When I was deciding between hypnosis and Bradley, I read birth stories. The underlying theme with the Bradley births was "it was hard work and it hurt, but I did it!" whereas the hypnosis birth stories were "it was so easy and comfortable, I loved it!". Since what I was looking for was a comfortable birth without the risks of drugs, I chose hypnosis and had the perfect birth for me.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#4 of 8 Old 12-25-2007, 09:58 AM

FWIW, my Bradley birth and Hypnobabies birth were equally difficult and equally painful I will say, though, that almost every woman I've ever heard say she had a painless birth did so w/ a hypnosis program. Painless wasn't a big thing to me, which probably had something to do with why my birth wasn't painless (but if I'm honest I have to say, I don't think every woman can have a painless birth-I don't think it'd happen for me no matter what program I used).

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#5 of 8 Old 12-25-2007, 09:00 PM

Well, I am planning on doing both. I know I know I have read all about them being philosophically incompatible but I am not sure I truly buy it. If anything I think they are too similar (or at very least a great deal of overlap), in that much of the non hypnosis material in the hypnobabies class looks to be lifted straight out of Bradley. I really like my hypnobabies so far. But I do wish it would give me a little more credit for being able to pick and chose what I want from a variety of sources, you know. The Bradley I am doing mainly as something to include my DH in on and the hypnobabies is just my own private thing and I like it that way...
#6 of 8 Old 12-25-2007, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by takasmom View Post
The Bradley I am doing mainly as something to include my DH in on and the hypnobabies is just my own private thing and I like it that way...
Yeah! That's exactly along the lines of what I was thinking! Go to Bradley with DH and use it to learn the more academic things I need to know.... and do HB on my own to be as comfortable as possible during labor.

But never having gone through any of this before, I also don't want to go overboard.

Hearing everyone's perspectives is so valuable!

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#7 of 8 Old 12-25-2007, 10:43 PM

I teach the live Hypnobabies class and the reason why Hypnobabies has a policy of not teaching women who are also taking another philosophy of childbirth class is because experience has shown us that these moms do not do as well with their hypnosis. You have to choose between "birth can be comfortable and easy" and "birth hurts, is hard work, but I can do it". It's fine if you go with "pain with a purpose", but it just doesn't work to try to hang onto that while also "trying" for a comfortable birth using hypnosis. Pick one philosophy and commit.

The live Hypnobabies class involves partners a whole lot. I know the home study can be modified to involve partners more....

In the end it's up to you. I hope you are ultimately satisfied with your preparation and your birth.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#8 of 8 Old 12-26-2007, 10:29 AM

Having used both and taught bradley, i can say they have major incompatibilities. Pain with a purpose v. painless, renaming things so as to change the way you see them. Each week in bradley you'll be undoing a good bit of your hypnosis practice. You can do both-I used Hypnobabies while teaching bradley. It's just going to affect how well the hypnosis works for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page