Episiotomy-pain after a year? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-26-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey all

I had a episiotomy when I had my son last year. My midwife did it against her better judgement as I had been in med-free, induced active labor for about 6 hrs and then pushed for 3 hrs...and my son wa sjust NOT popping out, and the doctors who were on duty that night threatened a c-section as my sons heart rate was dropping.
ANYWAY, she didnt do a normal epi, she cut on the sides, stitched me up and I healed very easily and quicly-dare I say, pretty painlessly.

But, fast forward almost a year and suddenly the areas which were cut hurt-and sting...I dont understand why?
Can someone tell me wether this is normal or what?

I cant see a ob-gyn until the semester goes back in early january.

Thanks
#2 of 6 Old 12-26-2007, 12:30 PM

I've heard of several women this happened to. I know at least one had to have surgery to fix it. Something about a nerve & scar tissue I think.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#3 of 6 Old 12-26-2007, 02:28 PM

This happened to me. My OB gave me a completely unnecessary episiotmony w/ my 2nd (he was my smallest baby w/ a head in the 50th %ile, and I did not tear w/ his brothers who had heads in the 98th.) I had pain and itchiness, and it fet "tight" (for lack of a better description of how it felt) a year afterwards. I think it was the nerves reattaching. It last off and on for a few months and was fine after that. I hope yours goes away as well.
#4 of 6 Old 12-26-2007, 09:51 PM

I had pain for about 15 months after my DS1 was born. I had a horrid episiotomy that tore an extension and had a lot of scar tissue. It started feeling better after DS1 nightweaned, which was around 15 mos - the hormonal shift that happened then (my periods also came back then) helped that tissue to feel more normal.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#5 of 6 Old 12-27-2007, 10:36 AM

I didn't have an episiotomy but I tore with DS. I had pain in that area for about 9 months after the fact. It went away on it's own.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#6 of 6 Old 12-28-2007, 04:14 PM

i had a pretty radical epi (meaning I was cut from one end, almost to my anus) for similar "medical reasons", my sons heart rate was decelerating and I had been pushing for a couple hours and he was posterior. I dont think the epi was needed upon looking back, however.

It has been 6 years and during my menses I still feel a dull, heavy, painful feeling right on the episiotomy scar. it hurt for 4 months and longer to even try to have intercourse. it was very painful after birth and I have mild urinary incontinence due to this procedure (and probably due to not doing enough kegals) to this day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page