Eye Ointment at birth - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 01-04-2008, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
The Drs. were wrong. Intentional or not, who knows....

the eye goop is for the two STDs ONLY. Nothing else. Not strep. Not some random infection. Not something they can pick up in the hospital. STDs in mom ONLY.

-Angela
I really wish I had known this when ds was born. I justified the drops by thinking it would protect his eyes from nasty hospital germs. But I felt rotten about it because his little newborn eyes were red from it and the goop left red streaks down his face.

caffix.gif

#32 of 33 Old 01-04-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
totally disagree with you mama. Taking antibiotics MAY not have been a big deal for you, but trry telling that to someone who is allergic to antibiotics. And you know what? The only way to know if you are allergic to something is to TAKE IT, it's not something that can be predicted (though that may be a risk factor, and as such could be a reliable indicator).

Furthermore, antibiotics, even administered in the eye, still GET IN THE BLOOD STREAM and affect the whole body. A baby, who is just building their gut flora/etc... is WAY suciptable to EVERYand ANY thing you put in their little bodies.

And you can NOT just wipe it out. It was an ointment for us...used to be drops, eitherway, when it is in the eye...it's IN THE EYE, you cant just take it out, and if you tried you'd be introducing even more bacteria and irritants to the baby's delicate eye mebranes.

MANY babies have blurry vision and red, swollen, or puffy eyes after words. Even my MW AND DR told me this before we gave it to DD. THey said that this was a common reaction and that is why they recommend waiting at least TWO HOURS after the birth to do it, so that nursing can be established and eye contact can be made before the baby's vision is affected. Some babies might not have affected vision, some might have it for a few hours or minutes or days or even weeks. There is no way to tell. None at all. We have no allergies to antibiotics, but dd's eyes were affected for nearly 2 weeks after the fact!

This little innocent baby is born, like through all time and all over the world, and the first thing we do is stick them with a hep b vacine (which can only be transmitted through bodily fluids...what is YOUR risk factor) needle and put goop in their eyes so they cant see and bond or shoot them up with vit k, which would be in a healthy full term baby anyways, and certainly transferred in mothers milk/colustrum right away. Even premie babies would likely have vit k if the mother were not SEVERLY malnourished (mostly EVERY mother in the Western world today).

What we SHOULD be doing is resting, relaxing, bonding, making tons of eye contact, showing the baby that she is safe and protected. Nursing. Hugging, kissing, cuddling and holding close. Calling relatives and friends to share in the good and happy news. Just resting in dim lighting (labor is exhausting and a lot of hard work, spiritually and physically.) eating a nourishing meal, drinking a tea. Maybe taking a bath or shower, maybe with baby maybe with out (I didn't bathe ds for a full week...LOVED that new baby smell and wanted the vernix to moisturize his little body). Birth should be gentle. Being born should be gentle. No hustle and bustle. A new life came into the world. Be quiet. Be in the moment. Be with that. Trust the process (it got your little guy here in the first place).

You can vaccinate
later
you can give eye goop
later
you can give vit k
later
you can "observe baby"
later
you can do everything LATER. After baby has bonded and you have bonded and all is well with the world after your new little one has come to join us and play!

Now my no nonsense thoughts on the matter:

Vit K is bogus. Give me a good reason to do it for a healthy mother and a healthy baby who is not undergoing immediate and major surgery (and thus would have some blood clotting issues)

Eye drops are bogus, unless you have an STD or are a potential carrier. Give me one good reason why they are not.

Hep B vax in a baby who's parents are not carriers and who is not going to be in a public place (daycare) where they may be exchange of bodily fluids (NOT your local grocery shopping conditions, obviously!) is bogus. Give me on egood reason...

You get the picture.
You said it all very well

caffix.gif

#33 of 33 Old 01-04-2008, 03:10 PM

Can anyone find a cite that says these are only for STDs?

I specifically asked my MWs if this was only for gonorrhea and chlamydia, and they said the drops also protect against certain staph and strep (not strep B) infections. However, they also said that those are just run-of-the-mill eye goop infections and certainly do not cause major risk of blindness or anything. They didn't seem at all bothered by us potentially choosing to skip, so it's hard for me to believe they are intentionally giving out misinformation.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page