Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you are awesome and keep it up!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 393 Old 01-05-2008, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You sound like you've been doing a wonderful job of keeping away from all of the unwanted "routine" stuff. I'm so glad your so wonderfully informed! You and your little one are in my thoughts and prayers.
#63 of 393 Old 01-05-2008, 07:03 PM

Hope all is well!

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#64 of 393 Old 01-05-2008, 08:25 PM

Thinking of you and your little one..........

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#65 of 393 Old 01-06-2008, 02:11 PM

Moving this to the main B&B board. Please know that we're all cheering you on

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#66 of 393 Old 01-06-2008, 08:33 PM

Wow! You are a strong woman and I am so proud of you for being proactive in your care!

I am sending good wishes your way that the membranes will reseal and that your sweet baby will stay in until she's ready. Thanks for all the updates!
#67 of 393 Old 01-06-2008, 10:11 PM

Go Mama Go!!! You are an Inspiration!!!
#68 of 393 Old 01-07-2008, 03:18 AM

Thinking of you.
#69 of 393 Old 01-07-2008, 01:03 PM

Wow, I was you 3 1/2 years ago! Water broke at 31 weeks, in hospital on bedrest, only my little guy insisted on coming out that night. Darn kids. I'm so subscribing to this thread because I'm totally pulling for you and I love how you're not caving to the hospital BS! Rock on Mama!

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#70 of 393 Old 01-07-2008, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, 110 hours and holding tight!!!
My cervix is shut tight as a drum, baby looks good, everything is going A-OK!
Now if we can keep this up for another few weeks!

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#71 of 393 Old 01-07-2008, 05:08 PM

So are you still leaking? or is it sealing back up?
#72 of 393 Old 01-07-2008, 05:09 PM

Are they letting you up to pee, or is the bedpan your new best friend? I remember after they transferred me from our local hospital to Mayo I walked from the gurney to my bed and everyone FREAKED. Apparently I wasn't supposed to be upright. Well, helps if you tell me that, people! So I wasn't even allowed to walk to the bathroom, I had to use the bedpan, and they only let me go to the bathroom for a BM because I absolutely refused to poop in the bedpan.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#73 of 393 Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Yay! I haven't posted yet, but I've been following this thread. I can't believe I'm saying this, but... I hope you stay in the hospital for a very long time

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#74 of 393 Old 01-07-2008, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LConrad View Post
So are you still leaking? or is it sealing back up?
I haven't had hardly any leaking in the last 24 hrs. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's sealing back up, just yet. There are "decent" pockets in there still with amniotic fluid, and of course it's always replenishing, so I guess if I don't leak so much in the next day or so, I might start thinking we have some sealing action. There was just SO MUCH fluid the first couple of days! My belly was actually a lot smaller. It feels full and bloated now, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
Are they letting you up to pee, or is the bedpan your new best friend?
Oh I feel quite lucky on this one. I get to pee, poo, shower and sit up for a bit every few hours. This really could be WAY worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danotoyou2 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but... I hope you stay in the hospital for a very long time
I can't believe I'm saying this either, but I HOPE THE SAME THING!!!!

The pro-biotics are my best friend, keeping the antibiotics on task and not on more gruesome tasks.

I consented to the translabial u/s today, since there has been no sign of infection and it IS pretty non-evasive. (especially after inspected the packaging of sterile gloves, cover and all equipment. AFTER i watched them wash their hands... IN the room)
I knew there was NO PLACENTA PREVIA going down, and there was no reason to even suspect it, if I have to end up delivering here in the hospital, the last thing I want to do is go into labor in the middle of the night and have them insisting we are all gonna die because they don't know where my placenta REALLY is. I don't want a section because of something so unlikely... or stupid. So this one got put into the benefits outweigh the risks catagory... this time. It really is where I said it was: posterior and high. Not that they didn't already know that though.
And my cervix? Tight as a drum!

#75 of 393 Old 01-07-2008, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you get to move around a bit and that so far, things are looking good. Healing & baby-stay-put vibes! :
#76 of 393 Old 01-07-2008, 09:11 PM

I was trying to find your thread! Glad I found you!

SO wonderful how well you're doing! That's WONDERFUL!

Way to lay & gestate!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#77 of 393 Old 01-07-2008, 10:14 PM

are you staying in the hospy till baby is born? or are you going home after the bag reseals?
#78 of 393 Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
are you staying in the hospy till baby is born? or are you going home after the bag reseals?
I will stay here until:
I go into labor
or
I develop an infection and HAVE to deliver before 35 weeks.
or
My baby is "old enough" to not need NICU.
Now, knowing closer the babys size and health, and with no other problems present here, my midwife and I are both comfortable with 35.5ish weeks at this point.

I'm hoping, but not counting on being able to go home to deliver this little sweetie!

Now to hear the docs here tell it, if I make it to 34 weeks, they think they are going to induce me and put my baby in NICU....
Right.
If she makes it THAT far, the LAST thing I'm going to do is force her out and into the NICU for even a day!
I'm taking this one day at a time, I'm not going to argue with them about what will happen in 2 weeks.

#79 of 393 Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
Now to hear the docs here tell it, if I make it to 34 weeks, they think they are going to induce me and put my baby in NICU....
Right, and I thought Drs were supose to be so smart and well educated and do no harm.

I can not possiblly see the reasoning for INDUCING a preterm baby, that has shown no signs of distress, mom is doing fine, just to put baby in the NICU. Other than they want to do their "doctor" thing to the baby and they can't when the baby is not out.

And my Mom wonders why I don't trust doctors.

I am glad you are doing well, though. And pray that you will hold off and will be able to have that home birth after all.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#80 of 393 Old 01-08-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
Right, and I thought Drs were supose to be so smart and well educated and do no harm.

I can not possiblly see the reasoning for INDUCING a preterm baby, that has shown no signs of distress, mom is doing fine, just to put baby in the NICU. Other than they want to do their "doctor" thing to the baby and they can't when the baby is not out.
Isn't it all about their LIABILITIES?? so that people don't sue... someone should sue them for a unnecessary c-sec for a change !!!!
#81 of 393 Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
Actually, it depends on the skill of the technician and the equipment used. Sometimes with high-risk situations, they have the more skilled people performing the ultrasound. They estimated my daughter's weight during a biophysical profile on the day she ended up being born. They said 4 pounds, but it could be off by as much as 12 oz. either direction. She was 4 pounds 1 ounce at birth.
When I had PROM they did an ultrasound as well, they estimated at 2lbs. 4 oz. I delivere later that day and she was 2lbs. 2oz.
#82 of 393 Old 01-08-2008, 04:05 AM

wow, almost 3,000 views. who's watching?
#83 of 393 Old 01-08-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post

what`s their reasoning, as this sounds completely crazy

don`t let them get to you! you are doing great!
#84 of 393 Old 01-08-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

And my Mom wonders why I don't trust doctors.

I am glad you are doing well, though. And pray that you will hold off and will be able to have that home birth after all.
The reason they induce in that situation at 34 weeks is that the risk of cord compression and/or infection is higher than the risk of the baby being born with any significant problems, especially if there are steroid shots given to mature the baby's lungs. It is about liability and about what they feel the biggest risks are at that point to the baby's health. They do get sued when things go wrong and people are looking for someone to blame. So in this instance, if they didn't induce and a cord accident or infection occurred, a patient could sue their butt off, because it is standard practice to induce at 34 weeks with PROM.

It isn't neccesarily something I agree with, but it isn't just so they can do things to the baby once it is born. The OB wouldn't be the person to do anything to the baby anyway, that would be the neonatologist.
#85 of 393 Old 01-08-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Doctors taking note. :

Ahhh, probably not. But, I hope that readers as well as viewers offer positive thought & support to salt phoenix and her little babe.

We surround you with healing & compassion, salt.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#86 of 393 Old 01-08-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
The reason they induce in that situation at 34 weeks is that the risk of cord compression and/or infection is higher than the risk of the baby being born with any significant problems, especially if there are steroid shots given to mature the baby's lungs. It is about liability and about what they feel the biggest risks are at that point to the baby's health. They do get sued when things go wrong and people are looking for someone to blame. So in this instance, if they didn't induce and a cord accident or infection occurred, a patient could sue their butt off, because it is standard practice to induce at 34 weeks with PROM.

It isn't neccesarily something I agree with, but it isn't just so they can do things to the baby once it is born. The OB wouldn't be the person to do anything to the baby anyway, that would be the neonatologist.
cord compression? how? as its born or in the womb?
#87 of 393 Old 01-08-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I think the docs get sued over the procedures they DONT DO, not the ones they do.

I just feel like my baby knew I needed to STOP and REST. She did what she could do to from where she is to make that happen... She feels happy, healthy and cozy and patient. I hope she wants to go home to be born, but I'm leaving it up to her and my body... not the doctors, for sure!!!

I had 7.5cm of amniotic fluid as of yesterday (anything over 5cm and I'm thrilled). Her head is still down, and I am losing very little fluid still. I really feel good about where I am today, and that is all I ask.

I hate the Fetal Non-stress tests that I am getting daily, not so much that they are all that evasive, but what a pain to put me and her under that kind of pressure to "preform for the machine". She feels great, I feel fine, and that is good enough for me. lol. Today when I get one, I'm taking the ipod... I'm going to listen to EVERYTHING but the machine.

The nursing and aide staff have been awesome. It really does blow me away at the differences in care though. Some people were MADE for this kind of work, others should really be in some other kind of work.

I got my IV line out today, and that made me happy. Makes me feel like less of a "emergency waiting to happen" now I feel like I am "just resting" and waiting.

Thanks to ALL you mamas for ALL your words, thoughts, experiences and ideas. I wasn't a huge poster before this, and here I am giving you all a play by play... This has really made this much easier on us though, and I am grateful to have found this site when I did. I read Mothering for years and years (my oldest is 19) and have been kind of out of touch for many years from the broader crunchy online community... I'm glad I found you all this time.

I had the opportunity to order some adorable little preemie outfits the last few days, in anticipation of a tiny baby... I have boxes and boxes of little girl clothes up to 2yrs. old, from BOTH my girls and even some of my OWN BABY CLOTHES that my mom was too sentimental to get rid of OVER 40 years ago! But I have NOTHING that will fit a baby under 8 lbs.
This little teacher baby is special indeed... she will wear not only her OWN special things I've ordered for her little self, but over 40 years of love and history will be wrapped around her tiny little body!

#88 of 393 Old 01-08-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
cord compression? how? as its born or in the womb?
In the womb.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#89 of 393 Old 01-08-2008, 03:00 PM

I'm glad things are going so well for you. I really hope you don't ever need those preemie outfits, in all honesty.

While a preemie from 32-36 weeks is likely to do really well long term, the NICU is a really tough thing to go through, even if it is just a short period of time.
#90 of 393 Old 01-08-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Well, I think it counts each time it's viewed. So, it's not 3,000 people viewing, kwim?

OP, I'm really glad to read that things are going well and I'm *very* impressed with the way you're handling everything. I just wanted to tell you that I had issues with preterm labor with all my babies and had to do bedrest. I too felt comfortable staying at home once I was safely past 35 weeks (although I layed down longer than that to be careful) and I was still able to have happy, healthy homebirths between 36.5 - 37.5 weeks.

Feel free to PM if you'd like some support/comisseration from a fellow (ex) bed rester. Hang in there!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page