I think I've sprung a leak. - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 393 Old 01-14-2008, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantelhayes View Post
I hope to not find out, but if I do I hope to handle it just like you.
Thanks

I think many are starting to realize that homebirthers aren't just crazy nutbags. The staff seems to genuinely be interested in not only my natural birthing ways, but everything about my crunchy life. I've had compliments on the smell of my room, my decor I've had dh bring from home, and the "feel" I've created in my little space. I've had questions about the birth plan hanging on my wall, the pagan statues on my windowsill and the rocks and stones that accompany them. The jar of RRLT has prompted questions as well as questions about my food and tv programming choices.
I've never met such curious people! Not in a judgemental way, but in a genuinely curious way. It's like I'm some sort of anomaly!
It's mildly entertaining.
I guess I don't get out much. (even before the bedrest )

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#122 of 393 Old 01-14-2008, 01:12 AM

Just posting some big hugs and stay put baby vibes for your LO.
#123 of 393 Old 01-14-2008, 02:07 AM

Just found this thread and read through it all. You are truly amazing in how well you are handling everything. It was really interesting seeing how things have progressed for you. I hope you make it to the 35.5 weeks so that you can actually birth your little one at home

: :

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#124 of 393 Old 01-14-2008, 07:58 PM

thinking of you!
#125 of 393 Old 01-14-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

I've lost FIVE pounds??? How can I lose FIVE pounds in a week, eating TWICE as much and getting NO exercise???

I lost the bulk of the amniotic fluid in the 4 days before that, so I don't really understand. I know my belly is growing by the day!

Dh is bringing me sushi for dinner ... that's worth reporting. Other than that? I'm closing in on 33 weeks!!!! I'll hit that Wednesday!

still lovin' the support you mamas are tossing my way

#126 of 393 Old 01-14-2008, 09:24 PM

33 weeks! Rock on! How long have you been ruptured again? Only 3 more weeks and you can go HOME!
#127 of 393 Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantelhayes View Post
33 weeks! Rock on! How long have you been ruptured again? Only 3 more weeks and you can go HOME!
on wednesday, when I am 33 weeks, I will have been PROM'd for TWO WEEKS!

#128 of 393 Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 PM

You're an awesome woman! Keep up the good work!

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#129 of 393 Old 01-14-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
I've lost FIVE pounds??? How can I lose FIVE pounds in a week, eating TWICE as much and getting NO exercise???

I lost the bulk of the amniotic fluid in the 4 days before that, so I don't really understand. I know my belly is growing by the day!

Dh is bringing me sushi for dinner ... that's worth reporting. Other than that? I'm closing in on 33 weeks!!!! I'll hit that Wednesday!

still lovin' the support you mamas are tossing my way
It's probably a loss of muscle mass. It sucks, but it happens quickly.

Grow, baby, GROW! You are doing such an amazing job!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#130 of 393 Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 PM

Keep growing wee one! Sending you stay in vibes. Hope you get your HB mama!

You rock!

Take care!
Jen

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#131 of 393 Old 01-15-2008, 01:56 AM

Hopefully everything works out!
I had PROM at 29 weeks and was on bedrest in the hospital for 4 weeks (during the SARS scare so NO visitors allowed whatsoever! VERY boring), then another 4 weeks at home (I really wanted to leave so I told them I'd come in every week for NSTs).

Had her at 38 weeks by induction due to IUGR. 5 lbs of pure perfection
No NICU at all. No complications.
Hope all goes even better for you!

Hang in there.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#132 of 393 Old 01-15-2008, 02:27 AM

Julie, I logged on tonight just to check on you.

Glad everything is going so well- remember that you can call anytime.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#133 of 393 Old 01-15-2008, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
I had PROM at 29 weeks...

Had her at 38 weeks...
No NICU at all. No complications.
oh wow, so it IS possible!!!!

These are the stories I LOVE to hear!!!! THANKS!!!~!

Thanks to you too Staceymom!!! Did you pm me your number? I can't remember.

The NST's are really starting to tick me off. : I often end up sitting on there for a full hour and I can assure you, it's the most uncomfortable and miserable hour of my entire day.

No news to report otherwise!

#134 of 393 Old 01-15-2008, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Now here is one...

The hospital social worker came in to chat with me about my Advanced Directives and what not. Ok, they're all there on the wall, things are good. Then she says to me, "What's this about you going home at 36 weeks?"

I explain to her that if I indeed carry to 36 weeks, I would be going home to have my baby.

She proceeds to try to convince me, (after asking why in the world I would go home, and why not stay here at the hospital) to "at least" stay in town at someone's house "nearby" for the birth.

I will be 33 weeks tomorrow. I can't believe I'm ALREADY starting this struggle?
The questions ranged from, "why not?" to "where's the nearest hospital to your house?" and on and on as if I hadn't even THOUGHT about my "emergency back up plans" PRIOR to even planning a homebirth to start with.

My homebirth plans haven't changed because of the PROM. They are identical... that is... if I MAKE IT THAT FAR.
THAT plan is in place. What I'm doing NOW is gestating and staying at the hospital for the BEST of bed rest care, monitoring for infection/problems and IN CASE I deliver early, the baby will be RIGHT HERE for the NICU.

I dunno. I seemed weird.
Yes, I know the "dangers" of waiting and waiting and waiting 'til the baby comes on her own: infection, cord compression & stillbirth. I also know there are NEVER any guarantees of complete safety. No one can "guarantee" me a perfectly healthy baby JUST because I'm in the hospital.
As of NOW, there is no indication that the baby is really in any danger, other than... she's too young/small to not need medical help.

sigh... I just needed to vent that. I'm still going day by day. I have a plan for today. And so far, that plan is going GREAT.

#135 of 393 Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Just checking this thread again. I haven't said anything thus far but I did want to give you a little success story to perk you up while on bedrest. I had my first preemie at 34weeks due to PPROM. She stayed 11 days in the nicu and came home at a nice 5lbs 5oz(two oz over her birthweight) and is a happy healthy little 3 year old today. A nurse today commented that you would never know she was born early because she's so incredibly bright and talkative and size-wise she is right on target. My second preemie was born on the 5th of this month at 33 weeks and she is coming home tmorrow(11 days old) afternoon. She was 4lbs 12oz and the only reason she's stayed so long is because she couldn't hold her temperature up for a full 24hours outside the isolette. She's just under her birthweight right now and doing extremely well. So while they were both earlybirds they are doing well for their respective ages.
I wish you all the best in your bedrest and labor and delivery. I hope you get the homebirth you want and you can avoid the nicu. It's really not a fun place at all and while I was lucky enough to have kids with short stays, even a day or two is heartbreaking. I cannot even tell you how much it hurts to walk out of the hospital and leave your baby behind. I hope that a success story or two helps you strengthen your resolve to stay there on bedrest doing everything you need to do to keep your baby in as long as possible. I will continue to check in on this thread so definitely keep everyone updated.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#136 of 393 Old 01-15-2008, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

thank you justmama! the positive stories ARE helpful...

the staff here says i'm "a model patient" I dunno if that means they like that i never use the call light or if it's because my baby is staying put.

I need for nothing, to be sure. I've been able to occupy my time pretty well without going insane (so far) I'd never get this kind of care at home... I'll take it!

#137 of 393 Old 01-15-2008, 11:55 PM

So glad things are still going well! You might just find it easier to not mention anything to the medical staff about going home. Just smile and nod, and when you hit your magic marker, say "surprise! I'm going home! Where's that AMA paperwork you'll want me to sign?"

Is there anything you need/want? I could send you books? I could send you yarn? I could send you my phone number so you can call when you're bored? Anything?

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#138 of 393 Old 01-16-2008, 02:11 AM

Julie,
Thanks for keeping us updated. Wish you were not there but I really enjoy reading about how you are dealing with everything. I love your attitude! How is the bead shopping going?

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#139 of 393 Old 01-16-2008, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
good to see you and the baby are doing well and hanging in there-- take care
#140 of 393 Old 01-16-2008, 03:30 AM

Congrats on 33 weeks!!! Only 3 more to go to 36 or 2.5 to 35.5
#141 of 393 Old 01-16-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danotoyou2 View Post
Is there anything you need/want? I could send you books? I could send you yarn? I could send you my phone number so you can call when you're bored? Anything?
TOO nice! I think I'm set... maybe if I am here longer than another MONTH I'll run out of things to do... I probably won't pick up another magic marker or coloring book for as long as I live, but for now, I'm ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
Julie,
How is the bead shopping going?
Oh the choices, the choices!!! I'm still waiting to order something until later in the week. I want to see if dh brings the Fimo I asked for

Quote:
Originally Posted by LConrad View Post
Congrats on 33 weeks!!! Only 3 more to go to 36 or 2.5 to 35.5
I'm contemplating my 33 week belly picture as we speak! They really got a lot less creative since I've been here in the hospital. The props and backgrounds are seriously lacking.

My hb midwives stopped by last night to see me. It was a pleasant surprise to see them!!! They were very excited to see me still pregnant, and have every encouragement and hope that I can hold out til 36 weeks and go home to birth as well. They are on board with that plan, and we are all quite comfortable with the idea. They believe too, that attitude is everything. They have both had experience with babies as early as 35 weeks, and very low birth weight babies, so my (hopefully by then) 36 week, 6 lb. baby doesn't scare them any.

I had some crazy homebirthing dreams last night though, I'm sure triggered by the mw visit. I was in labor and at home and very excited to be doing it at home. However I hadn't been home for long, and called my mw's to ask if they had an extra plastic sheet for the bed that they could bring, as I hadn't even made up the bed yet!!! It was a delightful, albeit scattered labor (we had not even unpacked from the hospital) and I remember thinking the entire time. YAY! I'm at HOME! I woke up happy this morning.

I still hate to get TOO excited about a homebirth. I have to keep an open mind about how and when this baby will arrive. I have turned it over and over in my head, so I hate to start "banking" on it being one way or another... it will be how it will be, and I just have to wait and see like everyone else.

#142 of 393 Old 01-16-2008, 04:53 PM

Wow Julie. You really do have such a great attitude about the whole thing. I think about you & little one everyday & am sending lots of stay put vibes. I have a friend who PROM at 29 weeks. She stayed in the hospital until 35 weeks. Discharged that AM, went home & had her baby that night. An almost 5 lber who is now almost 4 yrs old

So, did you get baby's hat finished up?
#143 of 393 Old 01-16-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursinmama View Post
Wow Julie. You really do have such a great attitude about the whole thing. I think about you & little one everyday & am sending lots of stay put vibes. I have a friend who PROM at 29 weeks. She stayed in the hospital until 35 weeks. Discharged that AM, went home & had her baby that night. An almost 5 lber who is now almost 4 yrs old

So, did you get baby's hat finished up?
oh i LOVE LOVE LOVE that story!!!! Sounds like my dream! hahaha

I finished the hat AND a pair of little booties!!!

#144 of 393 Old 01-17-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
I've never met such curious people! Not in a judgemental way, but in a genuinely curious way. It's like I'm some sort of anomaly!
It's mildly entertaining.
I guess I don't get out much. (even before the bedrest )
I have this experience too!

Much to you and the wee girlie.
#145 of 393 Old 01-17-2008, 12:08 PM

Just another mamas stopping by to tell you that you ROCK!

The weight loss is most likely muscle mass loss. I had 4 months of bedrest with #2 and 4 weeks with #4. I either lost weight or my weight stayed the same (depending on the time.) It was like the baby was growing at the same rate I was losing so we stayed the same. The muscle loss SUCKS but it so worth it to have your baby come out at the right time!
It sounds like you're doing an awesome job keeping yourself busy. Hang in there mama! We're rooting for you!
#146 of 393 Old 01-17-2008, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, it never really occurred to me about the muscle mass loss until it was mentioned here. I've never been on any sort of bed rest. Of course when it was mentioned, it was like "OH WELL OF COURSE!!!!" and "DOH! :" combined.

One more thing to look forward to come spring time... lots of wonderful walks and rebuilding of strength and muscle!!!

Things are going well. I think it's common knowledge on the staff now that I have every intention of going home at 35/36 weeks if I make it that far. I haven't heard any more pressure to stay OR get induced... for that, I am grateful. 2-3 weeks sounds like forever away still, so I try not to think about it TOO much.

I can't even fathom 4 months!

#147 of 393 Old 01-17-2008, 04:38 PM

Hi there Julie,
I can't believe your thread has been around for so long and I just read it today! I just want to add to the amazing support you are getting here. I was on bedrest for PTL for 5 weeks and know all about the muscle tone issue. You have such a fabulous attitude and I can't wait to hear all about your beautiful birth at least 3 weeks from now!
Nicole

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#148 of 393 Old 01-17-2008, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wonder since you are in there and confined-- maybe physical therapy can stop by and bring one of these bands to do some exercises with to keep up your strength-- or maybe they have some other ideas for bed exercise..

take care
#149 of 393 Old 01-17-2008, 06:26 PM

You sound like you are doing great! I was on bedrest with my dd for much of my pregnancy, and am a certified physical trainer, so if you need any ideas for moving your muscles in bed (and they will let you) let me know, I think I have a list on this computer somewhere of what I did.
Best of luck to you- your attitude is amazing!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#150 of 393 Old 01-17-2008, 07:15 PM

thinking of you, Julie.

doing some stretches and exercises would be great for you! make sure when the physiotherapy folks come, they are fully aware of your condition, and don't insist on anything that is not safe for you (i have no idea what that would be, though). i was in a hospital with a broken foot while 9 months pregnant, and the physiotherapists, two very young guys, treated me soleley as a broken foot patient, and completely disregarded my pregnancy. there was no way i was hopping up and down the hallway on crutches the way they wanted me to!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page