I think I've sprung a leak. - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 393 Old 01-22-2008, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Woot! Glad you're feeling a little better! Keep your spirits up, you've done amazing so far!

Angela - wife to my gamer hubby and SAHM to Handsome autismribbon.gif 3/6/03 (~35wks), Princess 8/9/06: (33wks) - we are HELLP survivors, Bubbalicious 9/15/09 (FULL TERM!), and pos.gif oops...here we go AGAIN! (June/July 2012?)

#182 of 393 Old 01-22-2008, 04:02 AM

so glad you are feeling better and that your refusal of the NST went so well!
you are in my thoughts. i think i'm more aware of how many weeks YOU are, than i am
#183 of 393 Old 01-22-2008, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodymaximus View Post
so glad you are feeling better and that your refusal of the NST went so well!
you are in my thoughts. i think i'm more aware of how many weeks YOU are, than i am
glad to provide distraction!!!

Round two of fending off the residents about the NST came at 5:30 this morning! Hey, if nothing else, it's good "practice" for them.
"How about if we do them in your room instead of wheeling you off to Maternal-Fetal Diagnostics?"
"You know, we've caught a COUPLE of babies that MIGHT have died a few hours later by using the NST!"
"You know you will probably have to have this conversation again!"
Me:
"I have 4 planets in Taurus." (not that they even know what that means)

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#184 of 393 Old 01-22-2008, 10:42 AM

5:30am they ARE mighty determined aren't they?!

Reminds me of the anesthisiologist who visited me all night every couple of hours (the 2am visit being one of my favorites) begging me to get an epidural b/c my blood work had gotten so bad that I was at the extreme limit they could do it.

I was really peeved because just before a particularly nasty attempt on their part to scare me into it (just before noon), my body said "it's time, you have to do this..." I still negotiated and had it done MY way (like there was a good way haha...but at least it was how I wanted if not WHAT I wanted!)

I have tons of anecdotes for why you should listen to your body. Even with everything that went "wrong" with my daughter's labor, I still only allowed interventions as my body told to me to. I still listened to my baby, my heart, and my body.

You can do this. You ARE doing this

Angela - wife to my gamer hubby and SAHM to Handsome autismribbon.gif 3/6/03 (~35wks), Princess 8/9/06: (33wks) - we are HELLP survivors, Bubbalicious 9/15/09 (FULL TERM!), and pos.gif oops...here we go AGAIN! (June/July 2012?)

#185 of 393 Old 01-22-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well she was right it wasn't the last conversation about the NST's...

this weeks "head honcho" perinatoligists came in... relatively nice guy... even though first thing he said to me was:
"i hear you are a trouble maker"
He said that they have moms with high blood pressure and diabetes and all sorts of issues that only "have" to come in twice a week... and as far as he was concerned, he thought the only reason i got NST's every day, was frankly, cuz i am here... that was funny to hear outta a perinatologists mouth...
He said he didn't think it was about the $$ 'cuz they didn't get much for those particular tests...
anyway, he was supportive of NOT doing them everyday... and agreed that my stress level SHOULD be factored into it. He also said that the younger the baby, the less accurate the NST... that even when I got a "negative" one, I shouldn't sweat it.
I told him I didn't have much of a problem with twice a week, 'cept that the tests were notoriously unreliable, and I wasn't too sure that even with bad results I would follow whatever intervention they would have in store for me... he said he understood that. He assured me that they look at the WHOLE picture when something like that comes up, knowing too that they can be unreliable...sometimes it means a biophysical profile, sometimes it means just checking for tenderness and temperature an extra time per day.

He sort of had something to say about "others" when he said how I was unusual and why some of the staff didn't understand was because people usually opt for MORE testing, not less... and in this day of TOO MANY inductions... it was "unusual" to see the likes of me...lol... He said the last thing he wants to do is induce me, he just wasn't down for TRYING to get me induced without good reason... lie? truth? dunno.
We discussed the unknowns of PROM, and he even said that it would not surprise him if sometime in the near future their protocol wouldn't involve sending moms home again instead of trying to keep them as they do now... he just said there were too many unknowns as to why it happens at all... I asked him if they can create an artificial heart, why in the
world they couldn't just CORK the thing up when it happens...lol... he said that it might solve the water leakage, but "water leakage? big deal!" he thought...THAT wasn't the problem... it was the underlying reasons and WHY did it break at all? finding the CAUSE of it and not just remedying the symptom...
he proceeded to tell me the Japanese are starting to use something similar to the stuff you fill bike tires with to patch the holes... like fix a flat for the uterus. Great idea, but still didn't solve the "why does it happen?" issue.
now I gotta go look it up and read all about it...

He didn't give me too much crap... he just chatted with me mostly.
It was fine.

#186 of 393 Old 01-22-2008, 08:12 PM

Yay, a doctor that isn't intervention happy!

Twice a week isn't so bad then! It sure beats every day.

Glad things are going better for you.

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#187 of 393 Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 PM

Maybe I've been lucky, but I find peri's to be less intervention happy than regular OBs. Perhaps because peri's see the highest risks/worst cases. They are used to the "poo meet fan" situation, so I think they are more relaxed outside of those situations. :

I'm sure there ARE exceptions, but the peri's I've dealt with are more relaxed than the OBs. I rather liked them for that reason. They were generally more honest too Sometimes their honesty wasn't pleasant, but that was usually after we hit that "poo meet fan" situation.

You haven't gotten there, and I have high hopes that you WON'T get there!!

#188 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well mamas... the day we've ALL been waiting for may be upon us.

As of 7am, I have some bloody show and I can feel my cervix starting up. No contractions yet though.

I feel good and confident about this. I have yet to tell the staff what's going on with me, I wanted to get my shower, my breakfast and my last alone time with dh before things get moving.

I'm 34 weeks TODAY! When the resident came in at 6am she said to me:
"well, you are 34 weeks today, you understand that normally we would induce you."

HA! Take That!!!

Wish me luck mamas I'll be back in touch when I can!

#189 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 12:49 PM

Good luck mama! I hope if your daughter decides to make her appearance soon she is big and healthy and goes right home in your arms! Please feel free though, if she does have a little NICU time, to come by the preemie forum and get some support, or PM me if you want to talk.
#190 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 PM

Best of luck to you. Many peaceful labor and birth vibes to you mama, may she be big and healthy and come home with you quickly!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#191 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 01:43 PM

JULIE!!!!!!! Wow, you might be meeting your little girl soon. Your lo is blessed to have such a strong mama. I'm hoping that if you are in labor soon (meaning still at the hospital) that the staff has gotten to know you well enough that they will back off & let you birth your way. I'll be sending lots of t & p's to you throughout the day. Post when you can. GL & :!!!!!!!
#192 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 02:13 PM

wow! how exciting!
#193 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 02:56 PM

Oooh, good luck with whatever happens (whether baby decides to come out and play or stay inside for a while)! Keep us posted!

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#194 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 03:11 PM

Oh wow! Congratulations on making it to 34 weeks! That is SO wonderful! And that's great you're keeping the bloody show under wraps. Afterall, it could still be a day or two until she makes an entrance from those first signs so the longer you wait to tell them the better. I'd just definitely make sure they know when you're pushing so they can have equiptment ready in case she needs help breathing. Don't let them forget how encouraging they were about keeping baby/mama contact and kangarooing and all that. Best of luck to you. Still keep up those fluids and vit. C and try to get a good meal in while you can.
#195 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 03:39 PM

Your little girl is so lucky to have such a wonderful and selfless mama. Think of all those mothers who wouldn't have done 1/10 of what you've done to keep her safe and secure. If a hospital birth is meant to be then it's great you've been there for a bit. The staff know you and so the birth you want (will require) won't shock them

I've been checking this thread everyday and appreciate your willingness to update us. I've been inspired by your commitment and resolve to bake, labor and birth your baby in the calmest and safest environment possible.

Best wishes!!!

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#196 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 05:12 PM

Best wishes. Update us when you can!
#197 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 05:17 PM

Good luck salt_phoenix!!! I hope baby girl either comes out nice and healthy, or waits a little longer--y'all are in my prayers and thoughts.

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#198 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 06:20 PM

Thinking about you Julie!!

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#199 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Well, so far so good. No active labor, still a little bit of show (not increasing) some increasing low back achiness/draggy feelings deep in my hips and sacrum. Some aching down my legs. The contractions I DO have are still mild enough to brush off as B/H's. Baby sounds great, feels great... busy as ever!
I had a big lunch... I ordered extra fresh fruit and cheese and wow, I'm surprised how those things really hit the spot!
The 5:30 am ob came to see me about 10:30am and of course wanted to immediately do a sterile speculum exam. Right... yeah, I don't think so... I'm nowhere NEAR ready for that! I'll let you know when I'm ready for an exam to see what my cervix is up to. (how about never ) They just CAN'T STAND not being able to see, feel, MANAGE whatever is going on, can they? They HATE the "unknown".
Another good thing... now that I am 34 weeks, they will "let" the hospital midwives attend the birth. NO PESKY OB's!!! This is a big fat YAY! for me... I know many of them already both socially and thru my CNM sister, but I haven't been seeing them at all, but it makes no matter, if I request them, they will come! I talked to my sis this am, and she laughed and said, "well, looks like you just psyched yourself up to wait until 34 weeks, huh?" Maybe... I mean, not conciously, but uh... I'LL TAKE IT!
I'm gearing up! I think I'm going to have a little nap and/or rest for a while. Knowing that this COULD go on for days... I'll take it where I can get it, right?
I can't believe how my appetite picked back up today! : The body just KNOWS, doesn't it?

Thanks mamas for everything... I'll keep you posted.

#200 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
The 5:30 am ob came to see me about 10:30am and of course wanted to immediately do a sterile speculum exam. Right... yeah, I don't think so... I'm nowhere NEAR ready for that!
Wow. A speculum exam while pregnant!? I would NEVER be ready for that!

Quote:
I'll let you know when I'm ready for an exam to see what my cervix is up to. (how about never ) They just CAN'T STAND not being able to see, feel, MANAGE whatever is going on, can they? They HATE the "unknown".
So true. Did you ever see that movie Knocked Up? The OB comes out and tells her dp, "That woman is a control freak and she's not letting me do my job!" It made me because it's so the other way around.

Quote:
now that I am 34 weeks, they will "let" the hospital midwives attend the birth. NO PESKY OB's!!!
That is *wonderful*! It sounds like you (and the little girly) are doing great. I'm so happy for you.
#201 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 07:24 PM

Good luck! We're all rooting for you.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#202 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 PM

good luck!!
#203 of 393 Old 01-23-2008, 11:32 PM

Glad to hear your still pregnant, we're all rooting for you. Hope you stay pregnant for another week and half so you can have your home birth!
#204 of 393 Old 01-24-2008, 02:24 PM

Thinking about you!

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#205 of 393 Old 01-24-2008, 02:57 PM

Thinking of you, Julie!
#206 of 393 Old 01-24-2008, 05:12 PM

Just checking in! So glad to see you're still pregnant (well, as of yesterday anyway )! You're such a strong mama! So excited for you!!

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#207 of 393 Old 01-24-2008, 05:59 PM

Update us when you can so we know you're still around! Thinking of you!
#208 of 393 Old 01-24-2008, 06:10 PM

I hope everything is going well. Your little baby is in my thoughts.

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#209 of 393 Old 01-24-2008, 06:16 PM

I've been lurking since the start - i hope all is well! I really admire everything you have done thus far for your babe and i wish you both the best!
#210 of 393 Old 01-24-2008, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well as of 3:20 MST I am STILL PREGNANT!

I was never "lucky" enough in either of my other pgs to experience prodromal labor... I'm guessing that's what I have stumbled upon.
Enough to be uncomfortable. Not enough to move things along at the pace I'm used to! The GOOD part of that (I'm hoping) is that it's preparing my body for a smooth and extremely efficient active labor.
I've requested a heating pad for my lower back, but so far, they can't seem to find one.
I've been eating well and resting. (when I can) I had probably 4 or 5 contractions during the night that were enough to wake me up, and probably about one an hour of the same discomfort level today...
They start in my back and move around to encompass my whole uterus. Then they eventually fade the same way... Whoever said that every pregnancy and birth is different, was telling the TRUTH! Even though my first two were really similar, this one is SO very different. It even crossed my mind that it was because I was in the hospital this time... I don't feel especially upset or scared or anything about being here at this point. Is it possible that I am holding back unconciously? I am just hoping I need a little more preparation and it's not something like that. Maybe a longer buildup and labor will make baby a little more ready to do all the things she needs to do on her own to go home?... I can do that.

I'm walking some, rocking some, cat/cowing some... Doesn't much seem to DO anythig except make me a little more comfortable.

I am beginning to think I might just make it to February afterall! ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page