I think I've sprung a leak. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I starting leaking last night after a position change and continued to do the same this morning. Large mass of mucus accompanying.
I will see a hb midwife today at 1pm, she's going to check the fluid to make sure it's amniotic fluid.
I have inserted NOTHING, have no plans to insert ANYTHING.
I'm drinking LOTS of fluids.
Vitamin C has been upped.
Immaculate hygiene.
Rest.

Help me toss around some potential scenarios ladies, would you? If this has to go this way, I'd like to do some planning ahead, kwim?

As long as there is no sign of infection, can I just lay here for a few more weeks?
Anyone ever been on bed rest in a hospital and then checked out at 36 weeks and gone home to deliver? (wishful thinking?)
I don't want to be induced.
I don't want a section.
I don't want my baby laying in NICU for 2 months.

I know if I hit up the hospital NOW, it's going to get real medical, real quick. I'd prefer that didn't happen. As you would imagine, I'd like to keep this as natural as I can with a PROM.

I'd like to hear some opinions/potential scenarios.

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 02:32 PM

Your waters could potentially reseal. I would be hyper vigilant of my temperature and babies movements. Also if you see any signs of meconium in the water(looks like split pea soup or darker). Really stay in tune with your body and baby.
#3 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 02:35 PM

What helped mine reseal was to lay on the couch the whole day or two. Make sure baby is still moving. Mine broke at 31 +5 and I didn't even go in. I made sure that after a couple days of really watching myself and staying up on things, that if it cleared up after the weekend, then I would go in. It slowed the second day and stopped completely by Monday. Good luck.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#4 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 04:31 PM

Here's a really nice & current thread about PROM with lots of great recommendations:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...highlight=prom

I'd take it seriously & be proactive and also remember that it's just a shade of normal.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#5 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 04:31 PM

Time to be instinctive!!!! You & I are only two days apart on our due dates & I could tell you what I would do if it happened to me but that would have all of my personal experiences intertwined with it. If I chose to wait it out I'd try laying down, injesting HUGE quantities of Vitamin C, praying I resealed & being very very cautious!!! IMO which is only MO we have to remember that Dr.s & hospitals do have a time & place. You know when that is. Let me tell you that my bf had her son at 32 weeks & while he did need some help (couldn't nipple or retain body temp) he did EXCELLENT as far as preemies go & he was only in NICU for 3 weeks. So I would like you to know that 32 week preemies ARE NOT 28 week preemies. Is it possible that you could be farther along?

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
#6 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 04:44 PM

Keep an eye out for menstrual type cramping, low back pain, intense pressure, or pain going down into your thighs. Preterm labor can be different and more subtle than full term labor. I would ask you midwife to discuss the possibility with you of steroid shots. I know that Spark, for example, wasn't able to get them without being admitted to the hospital, which doesn't sound like an option for you. But your midwife might be able to give them to you or know more about your local hospital policy. I definitely think they make a huge difference in lung maturity if your baby is going to be born early. Hopefully though your bag reseals and that won't be an issue. Wishing you and your baby the best.
#7 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
remember that it's just a shade of normal.
thanks for the link, will go read it next!!!
that was the idea, be prepared so that this doesn't have to snowball into something horrible... even if the baby DOES end up earthside sooner than later...
I realize it is a different shade of normal, and I'm REALLY glad that I know this. I'd imagine a hospital would like to deliver my baby sooner than later, and might try to scare me into something so awful... I can do without that... no signs of infection? No, you CAN'T check me, No, you CAN'T induce me, No, I don't want antiboiotics, No, you CANT take my baby out before it's ready. :
My uterus is a little sore, but I don't see or feel anything that would lead me to believe there has been any cervical change or infection. Certainly there has been no contractions.
I'll keep you all posted... let's hope we can stall for at least 5 more weeks, and keep on the original birth plan here at home... in the mean time: I'm reading up on premies and Kangaroo Care JIC I end up seeing my baby before then.

Yes, I'm sure of my conception date.

Any other opinions or thoughts are greatly encouraged!

I had a dream earlier in the pg. that my baby was born and weighed 4 lbs. I argued with my attendants in the dream that it couldn't be my baby, because it was way too small to be mine.
I had another dream later that I was holding my baby and looking in a mirror. I was telling him that it was amazing that he was so big and healthy to have been a premie. I was/am hoping those dreams weren't true! (well, 'cept the healthy baby part... I'd be happy about that if I have to do this early)

#8 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 04:54 PM

My dd was 4 pounds when she was born. She dropped to 3 pounds 7 ounces after a few days. She's now a tiny but fiesty and incredibly bright 3 year old.

I won't tell you that the NICU time was easy or that her birth wasn't scary, but it helped to know right away that she was pink and breathing and more than likely was going to be fine.

As far as induction or trying to deliver the baby sooner rather than later, I actually think that is less likely than you might think. I know a number of women from the preemie forum that have had full ROM and were on hospital bedrest for weeks, even months. Some even had pre-viability ROM and when on to have healthy babies. As long as you're not showing signs of infection, if you're less than 34 weeks they will generally try to do anything they can to stop your labor. However, this does involve more meds and invasive procedures than you might be willing to undergo.

You might want to check in with the preemie forum and ask women to share PPROM stories with you. I actually had PPROM with both of mine, but there was no reason to stop labor with my first, she was 36 weeks, and with my second we had been trying to stop contractions for 4 days, but when my water broke I immediately went into active labor.

Again, I'll send my good thoughts and wishes your way. I hope your baby stays on the inside a little longer!
#9 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 05:06 PM

If your hb midwife has lab privileges (mine does) you can also have your white cell count checked periodically to watch for infection. Take temps every 8 hours. No sex or baths. Add garlic, echinacea, goldenseal to immune support. I only went five days ROM, but it could reseal with rest and lots of Vit C and water, but in the meantime watch for infection. Worst case you can go into hospital bedrest where they can do antiobiotics and wait until safer for baby, but for them that means 35 weeks or 34 with steroids which still means a NICU stay. Trust yourself and your instincts.
#10 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 05:07 PM

" realize it is a different shade of normal, and I'm REALLY glad that I know this. I'd imagine a hospital would like to deliver my baby sooner than later, and might try to scare me into something so awful... I can do without that... no signs of infection?"

When i went in at 27 weeks they said they'd keep me pregnant as long as possible, they didn't want to check, they gave me steroids, started me on mag when i had contractions and basically said, even when your water breaks we'll give you antibiotics if you spike a fever and continue monitoring. the goal is to keep you pregnant and i think this early in the game most hospitals would realize that
#11 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 05:13 PM

I didn't read what everyone has wrote, but wanted to say that there is a difference between a *leak* and true rupture of the membranes. Check that other thread for more info..
#12 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 05:19 PM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#13 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

It's what I would call a "leak" because it only comes out with position changes or effort. It FIRST came out in a smallish gush, and comes out in small gushes... I'm using folded up cloth diapers for pads because a regular pad isn't enough for each individual "gush" but it's not leaking constantly, if that makes sense. I would still consider it a "leak"?

Well, I'm off to see the mw... I am not sure why, since I plan on staying home without further sxs...
It's at least comforting to hear they won't try to go ahead and make my baby come out just because I've sprung a leak... I know they induce at the drop of a hat for any reason and none, so I guess I was worried they would want to for this too.
I don't do hospitals... or doctors, so this is kind of a kick in the junk.

Thanks mamas, I'll keep you posted.

#14 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 PM

Just wanted to send along my support that you are being level headed and wise about this. I'm wishing you the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
Add garlic, echinacea, goldenseal to immune support.
Just wanted to add that Goldenseal can stimulate uterine contractions, so as far as I know, it would be better to avoid it at this time.
#15 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 05:31 PM

Please keep us up to date!
#16 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
It's at least comforting to hear they won't try to go ahead and make my baby come out just because I've sprung a leak... I know they induce at the drop of a hat for any reason and none, so I guess I was worried they would want to for this too.
I don't do hospitals... or doctors, so this is kind of a kick in the junk.

Thanks mamas, I'll keep you posted.
In most cases if you are earlier than 37 weeks they will try to stop labor if at all possible. I know a few surros who have had their labors stopped at 34-36 weeks and they were preggo with twins! I hate doctors and hospitals too, but at least most aren't stupid enough to try to intentionally cause a pre-term birth (as in before 37 weeks) without a good reason.

I hope it seals back up for you and you can enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#17 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU View Post
In most cases if you are earlier than 37 weeks they will try to stop labor if at all possible. I know a few surros who have had their labors stopped at 34-36 weeks and they were preggo with twins! I hate doctors and hospitals too, but at least most aren't stupid enough to try to intentionally cause a pre-term birth (as in before 37 weeks) without a good reason.
I've heard of many babies being induced or c-sectioned way before they were ready to come out ... I think 'golf holiday' is sometimes a good enough reason for a doctor.

salt pheonix- You can also try upping your EFA intake (vitamen E... flax seed oil... I'd say evening primrose, but I know that it can sometimes incourage labour) I heard that a high intake of vit. E in preg. can make super strong amniotic sacs.

are you eating your greens too?
#18 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
I've heard of many babies being induced or c-sectioned way before they were ready to come out ... I think 'golf holiday' is sometimes a good enough reason for a doctor.
Yes, they will induce for dumb reasons before the baby is ready, but usually not before 37 weeks when you are considered full term.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#19 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 09:07 PM

I am a mom of 2 preemies. Please know that I am speaking from my heart and from experience. I do not even know how to write this without upsetting you.

For the sake of your unborn child, please get checked and try to realize that the medical people are not all evil. Most do look out for your and your baby's best interests.

It is possible to be on bedrest and still deliver naturally. However, your baby could be born early.

The NICU is tough, but a good NICU will help you with breastfeeding and is not the evil place you may think it is.

I hate doctors and hospitals too. But if it were not for them, my kids would not be alive.

I wish you the best of luck and that things go well for you and your baby. I also hope that you get your wishes. But please remember that the health and safety of your child are way more important than an ideal birth.
#20 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 PM

You've gotten good advice. Just posting to wish you lots of "stay in" vibes! Also, FWIW, I had a leak for 5 or so weeks (details are fuzzy in my head right now) before dd2 was born. She was born at 41 weeks, 5 days, so no preemie worries, but all was fine.
#21 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 10:52 PM

Any updates?? I hope that everything is fine!

Kodama- she already stated that she is going in a few posts up from yours.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#22 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodama View Post
I am a mom of 2 preemies. Please know that I am speaking from my heart and from experience. I do not even know how to write this without upsetting you.

For the sake of your unborn child, please get checked and try to realize that the medical people are not all evil. Most do look out for your and your baby's best interests.

It is possible to be on bedrest and still deliver naturally. However, your baby could be born early.

The NICU is tough, but a good NICU will help you with breastfeeding and is not the evil place you may think it is.

I hate doctors and hospitals too. But if it were not for them, my kids would not be alive.

I wish you the best of luck and that things go well for you and your baby. I also hope that you get your wishes. But please remember that the health and safety of your child are way more important than an ideal birth.
The OP stated in her first post that she was going to the MW to get checked (meaning a test to determine if the leak is indeed amniotic fluid)

any internal exams make the likelyhood of infection skyrocket. I think this woman is concerned about her baby enough to take precautions against getting an infection, and keep the baby inside, where they belong until they are ready to be born after 40 weeks or so.

have you read any of the literature speaking of the difference between a leak and premature rupture of the membranes?
#23 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 11:06 PM

No advice, but hope all is going well.
#24 of 393 Old 01-03-2008, 11:15 PM

Good luck and thoughts your way.
#25 of 393 Old 01-04-2008, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

Well, it's definitely amniotic fluid.

I am currently laying in a hospital bed.
No signs of labor. YAY!
No signs of infection. YAY!
I'm healthy, baby looks great, still some pockets left of fluid, but it's leaking with no stop in sight (everytime I move).
They have given me the steroids.
I am on the JIC antibiotics.
I have refused the catheter urine sample.

I am at a good University Hospital with my PhD CNM sister with me (she's a great AP/NP advocate) who is helping me navigate the necessary and non-necessary crap.

They have been very nice so far, but it looks like I won't be leaving here pregnant.

I sure appreciate all your thoughts and advice mamas... I have had two wonderfully amazing homebirths... and here I am... the LAST place I would have thought I'd be... oh well... bleh....

I will be back to update you all when I know more!

#26 of 393 Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 AM

No advice either, just letting you know that I'm thinking of you and so is everyone else on the February DDC.

:: :
#27 of 393 Old 01-04-2008, 02:14 AM

I am so sorry your are lying in a hospital bed after two HB's mama, it's funny how things turn out sometimes. I hope you and baby are doing well and that the staff treat you well while you are there,

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

#28 of 393 Old 01-04-2008, 02:20 AM

Julie, I'm so sorry that things turned out like this for you & your babe. Please, feel free to mourn the loss of what you wanted so that you can go on to focus on what needs to be done.

Even in the hospital, you can still work some of the suggestions in the thread I linked you to. The homeopathics, the tinctures, the Vitamin C, inversion, water, etc. It IS possible for your bags to reseal & refill. Wouldn't it be great if you taught the entire hospital staff that?

Wishing you peace & comfort away from home.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#29 of 393 Old 01-04-2008, 02:31 AM
DBZ

Wow mama. I'm so sorry you are stuck in the hospital with PROM. I hope that baby can stay put as long as possible.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#30 of 393 Old 01-04-2008, 02:46 AM

So sorry you are in the hospital. But truly, it is the best place for you to be at this moment (this coming from a hb/ucer that has never been to the hospital).

Hope your baby hangs out there as long as possible and is as healthy as possible when he/she decides to come.

Keep us updated.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page