Mothering Forum banner

Rupture of membranes

849 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  PuppyFluffer 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about this for awhile now and wonder what everyone else thinks.

My water has been broken while I was in labor with my other 2 kiddos. Both times I was at least 8cm, possibly more before I had it done. And my labors are loooooong, but not particularly painful. Actually, up until my water was broken, they weren't painful at all.

So, I'm wondering, is it worth it to have my water broken? Or is there merit in leaving it be? The midwife who attended my homebirth said that the membrane is very tough and if the baby is born with the bag of water intact it kind of clings to their face and is somewhat difficult to break.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
With my last birth (first vaginal birth) I debated having ROM because it was also a loooong labor (but also not that painful). As it was, my waters broke while I was pushing, and all was well.

I think that if I'd had my MW break them earlier, it could have made things go faster... but it also might have been more painful, and may have caused DS to engage in a bad position, which could have prolonged it even more. In all, I'm glad that we went the natural route and didn't break it.

I think that it's very uncommon for a baby to be born in the caul. It usually breaks while pushing.

If you're worried about the baby being born in the caul, why not have it broken when you're pushing? At least that way you're through transition and don't have to worry about things intensifying then.

#6 ·
I'm not a fan of AROM at all. A recent Cochrane Review showed that it doesn't even speed up labor like some people think it does:

Quote:
The researchers reviewed 14 randomized controlled trials involving almost 5,000 women and found little evidence for any benefits. Amniotomy did not shorten the length of labor, decrease the need for the labor-stimulating drug oxytocin, decrease pain, reduce the number of instrument-aided births or lead to serious maternal injury or death.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/30/he...in&oref=slogin

#7 ·
Wow - I'm really glad I posted this! Thanks so much for your responses, I will definitely not consent to ROM this go around. Thanks again!

#8 ·
I've had two unmedicated births. First, membranes intact until I began pushing while I was in the tub. Totally painfree labor!

Second baby, labor started with natural rupture of membrane and wow, that's a lot of fluid! I had no idea how much it was as it broke in the tub last time! Second baby, much shorter labor. It was an intense labor compared to the first but not painful either. I did hypnobirthing and it really helped!

I'm very hands off and I'd never consent to ARM unless there was some well proven medical need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.