Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone tell me your experiences?
#2 of 15 Old 01-16-2008, 05:00 PM

I just had my baby on Monday, and the hypnobabies really helped. I started listening to them at about 9 pm, when my contrax were 2 min apart and 40 seconds long. Before then I didn't use the fingerdrop, but I would stop and zone out and think about the tracks and key phrases. They got more intense as I listened, and the tracks really helped me stay on top of them. I was having a little pain though, and was worried about it getting worse (I thought I was dilated to 4-5) At 9:40 my midwife came and I was a really stretchy 8 and ready to get in the pool! I couldn't believe I was that far with that little pain! As far as the contractions, I never wanted pain relief or even thought about it. I was worried about them getting worse, but they never got that bad. Once I broke concentration and there were people around in the pool I had trouble getting concentration back. I listened to the pushing track, but I was distracted. I had a lot of pain, but was fine in between contractions and kept control. I could hear the key words of the track....open, and peace, and just kept repeating them and making low droning sounds to help myself concentrate. After 7 minutes of pushing she was out! I am completely amazed at how well it worked. Since I started doing the maintenance part of the program, I don't think I've been able to stay awake through a whole track, but it worked great! Next time though I will work on doing the tracks when there are some distractions so I can work through them and ignore them.
#3 of 15 Old 01-17-2008, 02:31 AM

This will be my fourth birth using hypnosis. I love it! My birth stories are here:

http://www.birthnaturally.org/birthstories.htm

Over 100 birth stories are here:

http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.c...th_stories.htm

There are several different hypnosis methods available and I encourage you to look into each before you pick one. Personally, I prefer Hypnobabies ( http://www.hypnobabies.com ) because it teaches medical-depth, hypno-anesthesia techniques vs. more basic relaxation skills. Since pain-free (or as close to it as possible for any given birth) is a top priority for me, I like the techniques Hypnobabies offers me. It's also important to me to be active while birthing and the Hypnobabies techniques are specifically designed to allow for movement.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#4 of 15 Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
In addition to Hypnobabies, there's also Hybnobirthing and Hypbirth.

The Hypbirth looks like a comprehensive program but I have not tried it. It is a home study course that looks similar to what you can find with Hypnobabies.

I have tried the Hypnobirthing CDs (only 2 of them that I'm aware of) and I find it a little lacking when I compare it to the Hypnobabies and Hypbirth. The main reason I tried Hypnobirthing first is because I has some gift certificates so I didn't have to pay for the hypnobirthing book/CD. I thought I would give it a try before committing too much to it. Also there are several hypnobirthing classes in my area but no hypnobabies classes. So with Hypnobabies we would have to do the home study course. With this being out first DC, I wasn't sure how DH and I would feel about not doing formal CBE classes. Now I'm at ease with the idea.
#5 of 15 Old 01-17-2008, 04:14 PM

My MW referred us to a Bradley class b/c it's really the only method in the area that is REALLY geared for NCB. Everything else is either general hospital classes or hospital sponsored lamaze (neither of which I feel will be helpful in homebirthing). Anyway, a week or so ago, my MW also mentioned hypnobirthing. She said that it's similar to bradley in the emphasis on relaxation, but that it really takes everything a step further. We've already finished our Bradley class (and I'm pretty satisfied with it). But I'm sort of curious about hypnobirthing. I guess my big question is about the tapes. Are they guided relaxation sort of tapes? Or is the idea really that the tapes put you in a state of hypnosis. I have never been able to be hypnotised (have had several opportunities), but I think that it's probably because I don't fully buy into the idea. I mean I think that it's possible for some people... I don't know. Anyway, would hypnobirthing be helpful for someone who doesn't completely buy into hypnosis? Would it still help with relaxation even if hypnosis isn't acheived? Or would my view on hypnosis in general make hypnobirthing/babies/etc ineffective for me?

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#6 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
it's really the only method in the area that is REALLY geared for NCB. Everything else is either general hospital classes or hospital sponsored lamaze
I teach NCB prep classes here in the Tulsa area for both hospital and homebirthing Mamas.
#7 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 12:27 PM

I had dd on 1/5 (due 1/3). All dh and I did was use the book, no classes. I read the entire thing and made notes for dh and my mom (both attended birth). I practiced the relaxation CD maybe 10 times, 2 times with dd. I wrote my own rainbow relaxation script, but never really used it. At 39 weeks, dh and I reviewed the breathing techniques, and some of the visualizations. Never did the glove.

When I started having surges(midnight), I was able to manage on my own and let dh sleep through most of it. I used the relaxation and told myself "I will relax and let my body welcome this new baby". Arrived at hosp at 10am and was only 3-4cm, didn't progress by 1:30, MW broke my water (after much debate by me), from 1:45-2:45 the surges were intense. I sat on the birth ball with dh next to me. I would put my head down on the bed with each surge and he would whisper to me..."relax, let your body open, it's almost over". This is what I wanted him to be saying to me. I definately felt relaxed and the hour passed quickly.

At 2:45 I was 5cm, got in the tub and in retrospect went into transition. It was insane. The first two surges I was not relaxed. I actually bit my fist at one point. Changed positions and for the next 45min I felt insane, like I was yelling and a mess but dh and Mom said I was just laying there and they couldn't even tell I was having surges (so, I guess I was really in another place!). Then at 3:40ish I moaned through a surge and announced that I was going to push the baby out. MW checked me and I was fully dilated, got baby out in 6 surges. The pushing was odd. I wanted to push and not breathe baby out. It felt so good, I don't remember any pain or burning at all. MW used warm compresses and oil to help, but it was amazing.

So, that was our hypnobirthing story! I can share the rainbow script if anyone is interested in having it.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#8 of 15 Old 02-12-2008, 01:16 PM

I had a home water birth and used hypnobirth. I found it hard to focus on the tools they tought, however I listened to the CD's during the whole birth (15 hours) and it made my birth so calm. When ever I did find myself getting off track the CD would help me out. Looking back on it I don't remember feeling pain, only tense or slight discomfort.
#9 of 15 Old 02-12-2008, 02:54 PM

I had a pain free hypnobabies birth. Birth story is in my siggy.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#10 of 15 Old 02-12-2008, 10:05 PM

Make sure you do some searches in the birthing/pregnancy forums. There are lots of useful threads on hypnosis and childbirth.

I am a previous Bradley teacher w/2 Bradley babies but had to move on to something more with #3. I birth at home and needed better relaxation techniques. Really, I needed relaxation techniques I could practice on my own

Self-hypnosis and childbirth are a GREAT combination! I took Hypnobirthing irl w/a hypnotherapist. It was lacking in a big way - technique and childbirth ed. I tossed it and ordered Hypnobabies. I can't rave enough! My 3rd birth was the best ever, I'm using it w/my fourth and wouldn't consider using anything else. It is a great program, very thorough, lots of good info, and wonderful wonderful techniques.

There is a difference in the programs imo so research wisely and search for threads. There's lots of info on MDC.

Oh, to the poster who just finished Bradley. Hypnobabies in particular doesn't recommend combining their program along with another. Not for any "better than thou" reasons but b/c HBabies is trying to teach women that their birth can be comfortable - even painless which is contrary to the "labor is work, pain is inevitable but you can get through it" philosophy. You can make the leap - I did. But you have to want to. I understand not buying it. I just wanted to roll my eyes when women talked about hypnosis - puhleeze Then I found myself in a position where I NEEDED it so I went for it. I think I was a fence straddler the last time and I still had an amazing birth experience so this time I am going for it I understand the hypnosis thing seems strange and, I'm understanding it more this time. It's not like the kind of hypnosis at comedy shows where people do the funky chicken and don't know it. It's more the kind of hypnosis where you're driving on a road trip but don't remember the last "X" amount of time b/c you were zoned out - or the tv zoned you out or a boring person zoned you out (zoned out may be a bad descriptor but you get the idea right?).

HTH
April
#11 of 15 Old 02-18-2008, 01:33 PM

I studied hypnobabies. I wish it had worked for us. Unfortunately it didn't. I had all the faith in the world that it would, and I practiced consistently and had great support from my husband. I do believe that it works for some people, but I wanted to let you know that it doesn't work for everyone. (it didn't work for the couple we took our class with, either...) It did help me focus on and enjoy my pregnancy, and taking the class helped my husband to feel more involved and taught him a lot about childbirth and pregnancy, so I don't regret taking the class.
#12 of 15 Old 02-18-2008, 09:51 PM

Why hypnosis "works" for some and not for others:

http://www.birthnaturally.org/hypnoworks.htm

Complications (incl. malpresentations) are a common cause of increased discomfort. I had complications during one of my births and had a lot of pain as a result. While my hypnosis no longer worked for physical comfort, it did help me stay focused, calm, and in control. I'm very grateful I had my hypnosis tools!

Remember also that each method is unique and some have a higher success rate over others. Another reason why I like Hypnobabies.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#13 of 15 Old 02-20-2008, 10:53 PM

I tried Hypnobabies which I thought was great, but I ended up having a c-section I will do Hypnobabies with my next pregnancy as it did help me relax through a 30 hour labor!

Megan, :2bfbabe: Mommy to Brayden 6/7/07
#14 of 15 Old 02-21-2008, 12:34 AM

I used the HypnoBabies home study course (the 6 cds/workbook). I picked this method since I'd heard really great things about it from other VBAC moms.

My hypnobabies birth story is linked in my siggy (follow the vbac link).

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#15 of 15 Old 02-21-2008, 08:50 PM

I used hypnobirthing. I was pain-free until 8 cm... I had a waterbirth with no interventions or pain-meds. I for sure think it was successful for me.

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page