Eating Placenta = Cannibalism? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
Do you think it has to do with domestication? I'm really not trying to be argumentative...I'm honestly curious
That would be my guess. As an example, wolves (to whom dogs are genetically nearly identical) make great fathers, but dogs seem to have no paternal instinct at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 08:43 PM
DBZ

What about other herbivores. Do they eat their placentas?

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#33 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 08:46 PM

The link I posted above claims that most mammals (with the exception of camels, whales/dolphins, seals/walruses) do eat their placentas. Someone please correct me if this is incorrect. I'm multi-tasking atm....

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#34 of 48 Old 01-17-2008, 07:13 PM

The fact that animals eat their placentas might indicate that it has health benefits, but it is not really relevant to the decision of humans to eat or not eat it. Humans may be almost the only mammals who do not eat their placentas, but we are also almost the only mammals who do not have sex with their own parents and siblings. "Animals do it" is not necessarily a compelling argument.
#35 of 48 Old 01-17-2008, 07:25 PM

I would think that the suggestion it has health benefits is relevent.
#36 of 48 Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 PM

I raise dairy goats and they eat their placentas.

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#37 of 48 Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
It is vegan, just like milk from the same species, freely given is vegan. The "no animal products" definition of veganism is a dictionary generalization, not the actual definition given by actual vegans (unless they're using shorthand when talking to the clueless).
Yup, I put breastmilk in my cereal when I was out of soymilk!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#38 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well; I have to say: there have been some pretty DISGUSTING responses here. I laughed my head off.

So I guess we've determined that it may or may not be cannibalism.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#39 of 48 Old 01-21-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird View Post
I don't know, is eating your fingernails or skin cannibalism? Chewing the skin off your lips?

I dunno

Maybe it only counts as cannibalism if you are eating someone else's body parts, not your own. Hmm. Not sure.
It's actually not your body part. It's created by the fetus, so it's really your baby's organ that they don't need anymore. And some cultures consider chewing your nails to be cannibalism.

In any case, if you want to eat it, go ahead. I'm sure it has many health benefits, but I can't stand eating any organ meats. It's cannibalism, just acceptable cannibalism.
#40 of 48 Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabebe View Post
It's actually not your body part. It's created by the fetus.
?? Because the genetic code for the placenta is part of the chromosomes in the egg and sperm?
#41 of 48 Old 01-21-2008, 08:16 PM

As someone currently ingesting my daughters placenta and a supporter of the practice, I want to provide you all with a link that has a tremendous about of information on the topic.

http://www.placentabenefits.info/
#42 of 48 Old 01-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
So, I was reading this thread about eating placenta; and DP and I were discussing how some people on here think it's gross and some people (especially those who've eaten theirs) say that it's extremely beneficial. I said I don't think I could do it; so DP said "I'll eat it" : .......ok. So he gets into thought for a few seconds, then asks "is that like cannibalism?" ....and, well, I don't know. Is it? You are eating a piece of human being, afterall.

Your thoughts?

ETA: This question is not meant to offend anyone. We were just thinking and wondering.
Technically, yes. Autocannibalism, anyway. Like a liver or a heart, the placenta is an organ (albeit a temporary organ) that you grew inside you, so yes.
#43 of 48 Old 01-22-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
It's actually not your body part. It's created by the fetus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
?? Because the genetic code for the placenta is part of the chromosomes in the egg and sperm?
Because at the early stages of development, the fetus and the placenta were all part of the same body. At one point, the embryo "divides" into fetus and placenta, connected by the umbilical cord. It is part of the baby's body, not the mother's
#44 of 48 Old 01-22-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post
Because at the early stages of development, the fetus and the placenta were all part of the same body. At one point, the embryo "divides" into fetus and placenta, connected by the umbilical cord. It is part of the baby's body, not the mother's

OK, here's a thought then:
If a placenta actually belongs to the FETUS, then is it "freely given" enough to be vegan? I mean, unless the fetus gives it to you...

I find this very interesting.
#45 of 48 Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post
No, when it's an embryo it's already separated from the placenta, before that it's a zygote. Then the embryo develops into the fetus and thus to the baby.

Zygotes are just cells, they might go on to make a baby or they might fail and end up in a diva cup.

Quote:

SIZE: 0.1 - 0.2 mm

TIME PERIOD: 4 days post - ovulation

About four days after fertilization, the morula enters the uterine cavity. Cell division continues, and a cavity known as a blastocele forms in the center of the morula. Cells flatten and compact on the inside of the cavity while the zona pellucida remains the same size. With the appearance of the cavity in the center, the entire structure is now called a blastocyst.

The presence of the blastocyst indicates that two cell types are forming: the embryoblast (inner cell mass on the inside of the blastocele), and the trophoblast (the cells on the outside of the blastocele).
By day four it's different cells involved in the embryo and in the placenta, and there was never a question of the placenta cells being anything other than a structure to transmit nutrients from mother to baby.

If anything, it's no one's organ, any more than a yolk is an organ of a chick.
#46 of 48 Old 01-22-2008, 01:56 AM

But, the fertilized egg contains all of the material from which both the baby and the placenta arise. The placenta and the baby essentially come from those 2 cells (the ovum and the sperm).

The placenta really is rightfully 'the baby's' when it comes down to genetics.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#47 of 48 Old 01-22-2008, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
But, the fertilized egg contains all of the material from which both the baby and the placenta arise. The placenta and the baby essentially come from those 2 cells (the ovum and the sperm).

The placenta really is rightfully 'the baby's' when it comes down to genetics.
But the majority of materials that go into the placenta come from mom's uterus, that's what that nice cushy blood lining is for. Eating a placenta is just like licking the blood off your finger after a paper cut.

Well, unless you think uterine blood is automatically unclean because of it's relation to menstruation.
#48 of 48 Old 01-22-2008, 02:46 AM

I know this may be offtopic, but the placenta comes from the trophoblast of the blastocyst. The blood that comes with birth is (under normal circumstances) the mother's, but that is because it is from the uterine wall where the placenta was attached.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page