Eating Placenta = Cannibalism? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I was reading this thread about eating placenta; and DP and I were discussing how some people on here think it's gross and some people (especially those who've eaten theirs) say that it's extremely beneficial. I said I don't think I could do it; so DP said "I'll eat it" : .......ok. So he gets into thought for a few seconds, then asks "is that like cannibalism?" ....and, well, I don't know. Is it? You are eating a piece of human being, afterall.

Your thoughts?

ETA: This question is not meant to offend anyone. We were just thinking and wondering.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#2 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
So, I was reading this thread about eating placenta; and DP and I were discussing how some people on here think it's gross and some people (especially those who've eaten theirs) say that it's extremely beneficial. I said I don't think I could do it; so DP said "I'll eat it" : .......ok. So he gets into thought for a few seconds, then asks "is that like cannibalism?" ....and, well, I don't know. Is it? You are eating a piece of human being, afterall.

Your thoughts?
Well by definition, yeah, it's cannibalism. But you know, the stigma that goes along with *cannibalism* is a social one. Other cultures don't feel the same way Americans are taught to feel about it so eating the placenta requires stepping outside of your comfort zone and rethinking the origin of cannibalism, I think.

I wouldn't be able to eat it, for the record. It's not a social thing but I have a wicked strong gag reflex and I'd never be able to choke it down. But I am totally cool with other people doing it.
#3 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

I just read your response to DP; here's what he said: "it better be cool, 'cause I'm doin' it! ....I'm just gonna run up and take a bit of it as it's comin' out. I want it fresh..."

Whatever floats his boat, I suppose.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#4 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 01:58 PM

I read somewhere that ethical vegetarians who still like meat might eat placentas when they're available since that meat doesn't come from hurting any living creature.
#5 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 02:02 PM

I don't know, is eating your fingernails or skin cannibalism? Chewing the skin off your lips?

I dunno

Maybe it only counts as cannibalism if you are eating someone else's body parts, not your own. Hmm. Not sure.
#6 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkerbell View Post
Well by definition, yeah, it's cannibalism. But you know, the stigma that goes along with *cannibalism* is a social one.
It is not only social. Many religions also strictly forbid cannibalism.
Quote:
Other cultures don't feel the same way Americans are taught to feel about it...
Which cultures are fine with cannibalism? There are only a rare few which practice(d) it at all, and they do not (or did not, traditionally) eat human flesh as an ordinary source of food, but only as a solemn ritual on rare, ceremonial occasions. The idea that the world was once full of tribes that cooked and ate people regularly comes from cartoons. Cannibalism is a universal taboo.
#7 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I read somewhere that ethical vegetarians who still like meat might eat placentas when they're available since that meat doesn't come from hurting any living creature.
Speak for yourselves. Childbirth hurt me pretty darn badly. I definitely suffered thru the process. I will never forget the pain that is for sure.
#8 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 02:55 PM

It sure is to me.

Yack.
#9 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 03:15 PM

That's a really good question! I hadn't considered that. I guess I think it is. But considering the reported benefits of eating it, if I could have choked mine down I might have. But there's no way I could have. Like a pp I have a very strong gag reflex.
#10 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post
Which cultures are fine with cannibalism? There are only a rare few which practice(d) it at all, and they do not (or did not, traditionally) eat human flesh as an ordinary source of food, but only as a solemn ritual on rare, ceremonial occasions. The idea that the world was once full of tribes that cooked and ate people regularly comes from cartoons. Cannibalism is a universal taboo.
Not a current culture, but I know in Fiji it used to be OK, as recently as the late 1800's/early 1900's. My IL's lived there for 2 years and brought home lots of "headhunter weapons" as souvenirs. It was even called the "Cannibal Islands" at one time. From what I understand it was an intimidation thing for their enemies during wartime.
#11 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 03:56 PM

Just because Fiji was once caleld the "cannibal islands" doesn't mean cannablisim was regularly practiced there. Sure, they kept peoples heads and may have let the rumours presit to freak out enemies. But that doesn't mean that cannabalism is/was ever practiced there on any kind of a regular basis.

And umm... I don't think I could eat my (or anyone elses') placenta... just sounds a bit too... wierd? No offense to anyone who's done it!
#12 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 04:06 PM

Interesting question!

I know that plenty of tribal cultures used to eat a piece of a deceased member. Or the heart of their enemy. Now, we've evolved beyond that, and made it illegal. Though, I do think there are some tribal cultures out there who still practice this.

At any rate, I too, consider it a cultural thing. But, I also consider religion to be a cultural thing. So, religions that say "do not eat other people" are merely another reflection of one's cultural norms.

As far as the placenta ... (not to be gross) but kids eat their boogers. Are they little cannibals in disguise? I'm fairly sure most animals - herbivore or carnivore - eat their placenta after birth. It's kind of the "thing to do" in the animal kingdom.

I think cannibalism mainly relates to eating another person's body. So, eating your own is still OK.
#13 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 04:07 PM

I dont think its cannabalism at all.
If you ate your poo is that cannabalism? - no.
If you ate a bit of your fingernail/hair/etc is that cannabalism? - no.
If a child ate his own scab is that cannabalism? - no.

Technically its even vegan as its freely given. (if someone else eats your placenta that youve given them)

The defenition of cannabalism is that of eating human flesh -and the placenta isnt acutally flesh (it at least certainly isnt included in the dictionary definition of 'flesh')

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#14 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 04:17 PM

Yes, I agree. If it is your own body, how can it be cannibalism.

Another person's boarders on it, that's for sure.

But crap, when you kiss someone you are eating their saliva and maybe more (post nasal drip, I don't know, whatever) :Puke

But I don't think eating your own placenta is cannibalism. Same as fingernails, skin, hair, it's all your own tissue.
#15 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 04:34 PM

I was really curious (what a question to ponder about on Wednesday afternoon heheheh), and I went on www.dictionary.com...

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
can·ni·bal·ism /ˈkænəbəˌlɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kan-uh-buh-liz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the eating of human flesh by another human being.
2. the eating of the flesh of an animal by another animal of its own kind.
3. the ceremonial eating of human flesh or parts of the human body for magical or religious purposes, as to acquire the power or skill of a person recently killed.
4. the act of pecking flesh from a live fowl by a member of the same flock.

So.... Yeah!

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#16 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 04:45 PM

It might be considered that way if it is not your own placenta you are eating.
However, since one purpose of the placenta is to nourish another human being you could argue that it isn't cannibalism to continue to use it for that purpose after the birth.

The purpose of a leg, fingernails, or heart is not to nourish another human being.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#17 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 04:50 PM

I don't have an answer for the OP, but I will add that it would not be considered kosher, because it contains blood.

Breast milk is kosher and non-dairy for Jews
http://rabbi.bendory.com/docs/baby.php

It is similar to bee honey, which is kosher, although a bee is not.
#18 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
I was really curious (what a question to ponder about on Wednesday afternoon heheheh), and I went on www.dictionary.com...

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
can·ni·bal·ism /ˈkænəbəˌlɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kan-uh-buh-liz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the eating of human flesh by another human being.
2. the eating of the flesh of an animal by another animal of its own kind.
3. the ceremonial eating of human flesh or parts of the human body for magical or religious purposes, as to acquire the power or skill of a person recently killed.
4. the act of pecking flesh from a live fowl by a member of the same flock.

So.... Yeah!
flesh /flɛʃ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[flesh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. the soft substance of a human or other animal body, consisting of muscle and fat.
2. muscular and fatty tissue.
3. this substance or tissue in animals, viewed as an article of food, usually excluding fish and sometimes fowl; meat.
4. fatness; weight.
5. the body, esp. as distinguished from the spirit or soul: The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
6. the physical or animal nature of humankind as distinguished from its moral or spiritual nature: the needs of the flesh.

So I had to look up flesh to see if placenta was flesh.... I think by definition it is if you are eating it, right?
#19 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yep, cannibalism. I don't have a problem with that, though. (I mean, I'm not recommending 'regular' cannibalism as a dietary choice, but in extreme survival situations, like that plane which crashed in the mountains somewhere, forcing the survivors to eat the deceased passengers to stay alive, I don't see how it's morally wrong. Icky, yes...).

Interesting that most of the dictionary definitions list 'flesh'. I guess that puts fingernail-biting outside the realm of cannibalism. Good to know.

Quote:
Technically its even vegan as its freely given. (if someone else eats your placenta that youve given them)
Are you sure? I can see how a vegan wouldn't have a problem eating placenta for ethical reasons, but I was under the impression that the definition of vegan was 'no animal products', not 'only animal products which are freely given'... which would be a bit of an odd definition, unless you were specifically trying to include placenta-eating. (I mean, how many cows come up and offer you a leg?). The placenta is, biologically speaking, an animal product--so isn't it not vegan?

I'm planning on capsulising mine, for the record. That gag reflex is just too strong...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#20 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 06:21 PM

It is vegan, just like milk from the same species, freely given is vegan. The "no animal products" definition of veganism is a dictionary generalization, not the actual definition given by actual vegans (unless they're using shorthand when talking to the clueless).

Humans are the only mammals who don't routinely practice placentaphagia. We're also the only mammals who deny our young colostrum regularly. Self-awareness and cultural mores aren't always beneficial. Debating whether placentaphagia is "cannibalism" is missing the point.
#21 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookMommy! View Post
I don't have an answer for the OP, but I will add that it would not be considered kosher, because it contains blood.

Um... we had a thread awhile ago (a few years back, before I had my son) about whether eating the placenta was kosher or not, and the consensus at the time was that it was probably parve (regardless of the blood).

I can't find the link. There are too many placenta threads here!

I did end up eating a piece of my placenta -- I was bleeding a little heavier than I'd like and it felt like the right response. I didn't plan on it in advance, though I had thought about it, but it felt right in the moment.

It was warm and chewy but not icky. No gag response whatsoever. (And I am a quasi-vegetarian.)
#22 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 06:34 PM

Hi, everyone

Just a friendly reminder from the MDC Web Statement of Purpose:

Quote:
The Mothering website is the gathering place for the reading and discussion of issues of interest to our magazine readers and online community members. We have been in print since 1974, and on the web since 1998. The magazine is read in over 70 countries. Our community is made up of many nationalities, religions, ages, colors, ethnicities, philosophies, affectional orientations, economic groups, lifestyles, and family structures. This is reflected in our magazine readership and in the online community of the MotheringDotCommune.

The MotheringDotCommune discussion boards serve an online community of parents considering, learning and practicing attachment parenting and natural family living. Our discussions on the boards are about the real world of mothering and are first and foremost, for support and information.

In doing so we ask that you agree to respect and uphold the integrity of this community. Through your direct or indirect participation here you agree to make a personal effort to maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere for our guests and members by adhering to the User Agreement.
Please keep in mind the UA requires that we:

Quote:
Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
While everyone is entitled to her own opinion, please be cautious in your word usage to avoid offending those of us who participate in this practice. Thanks and please PM me, Arwyn or courtenay_e with any questions or comments

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#23 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 06:42 PM

Here's another older thread with some great information, too.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#24 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
Humans are the only mammals who don't routinely practice placentaphagia. We're also the only mammals who deny our young colostrum regularly. Self-awareness and cultural mores aren't always beneficial. Debating whether placentaphagia is "cannibalism" is missing the point.
This is not actually true, many prey herbivores (horses, cows, sheep) do not eat their placentas. They just leave them and move away so that predators aren't as likely to find them.

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#25 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessmcg View Post
This is not actually true, many prey herbivores (horses, cows, sheep) do not eat their placentas. They just leave them and move away so that predators aren't as likely to find them.
This seems to contradict that cows don't eat their placentas

#26 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 07:29 PM

Thanks georgia.

I stand corrected:

Quote:
Remember, cows
were not always domesticated and it is a fact that virtually all placental
mammals eat their placenta with the exception of camels, Cetaceans (an
order of aquatic mammals including whales and dolphins), and Pinnipeds
(an order of semi-aquatic mammals including seals and walruses).
According to this source, then, humans are the only non-domesticated placental land mammals that don't practice placentaphagia (unless camels count as non-domesticated?).

I wonder why semi/aquatic mammals don't.
#27 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
This seems to contradict that cows don't eat their placentas
, hmm

I am really going to look into that one. I can not find anything else about cattle doing that. I even pulled down a couple of my college text books.

I live on a 900 pair working cattle ranch, plus have a small herd of registered show cattle, and my BS is in Animal science, with an emphasis on large animal reproduction. In my experience it is VERY rare to have a cow actually eat the placenta, they will often lick it and clean it off like the calf, but then get the calf up and away from it.

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#28 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 07:38 PM

Do you think it has to do with domestication? I'm really not trying to be argumentative...I'm honestly curious

#29 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookMommy! View Post

I really don't know about that. I don't think eating your OWN blood is a kashrut issue. If my finger bleeds and I immediately put it into my mouth to stop the bleeding until I get a cloth, I TOTALLY don't see that as a kashrut issue. I think a very qualified Rabbi would need to be consulted on this one.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#30 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
Do you think it has to do with domestication? I'm really not trying to be argumentative...I'm honestly curious
Not taken or meant argumentaative .

I was actually thinking about this just now. It would not surprise me at all, that would make sense. It reminds me of when dh went to Scotland 1.5 years ago. Their sheep are not very domesticated and raised totally different and have very different instincts and behaviors. I will ask him tonight if he remembers if they eat their placentas.

ETA:sorry to take this OT, I have a cow info sensor

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page