Soap in vagina during pushing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was at the hospital, a lot of strange things happened to me. I'm hoping someone here might understand why this happened...

When I was fully dilated, the nurse forced me to lie on my back. When I told her I wanted to semi-recline or side-lie she said no. She said the doctor believes lying on my back creates the best angle for the baby's shoulder to pass under the pubic bone. This went against everything I'd read, but I had no choice since I couldn't move my legs.

Looking back it seems the real reason she wanted me on my back was so she could do her own thing. She immediately squirted Johnson's Baby Wash into my vagina and started swishing it around. When my sister asked her what she was doing, she said, "Look! I can make bubbles!" Through two hours of pushing she was doing this and tugging on my vagina. Of course I swelled up from the irritation and ultimately needed a forceps delivery.

Does this seem bizarre to anyone else? I have spent the last four months trying to sort out all the things that happened during labor, but this makes me the most angry. Did she think she needed to keep me clean for the baby? Is she just a weirdo? Should I write a letter to the hospital or call the maternity unit and ask her?

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 12:58 PM

I have never heard of such a thing. I have seen nurses use mineral oil in the way you describe but never SOAP! ouch! I would write a letter.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:59 PM

REPORT HER.

On a side note, semi-reclining isn't better than laying flat. They're both only useful as relaxing positions.

(I swear I read someplace that semi-reclining puts a wierd bend in the pelvis that makes it worse than laying flat.) Ah: http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/...ml#SemiSitting
Old 01-17-2008, 01:08 PM

You're right. Laying flat is a better position for actually getting the baby out. Semi-reclining puts pressure on the sacrum that compresses the pelvis.

In Honduras the nurses would rinse the mom's vulva with antiseptic solution, but I've never see anyone use it as an internal lubricant. I wouldn't have put up with that. I wouldn't put Johnson & Johnson's on my skin, let along my vagina!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:17 PM

You have to wonder if that would burn the baby's eyes... I know when my dd was crowned dh said she was looking at him.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:18 PM

~
Old 01-17-2008, 01:24 PM

I am a labor delivery RN and I have NEVER heard of doing that nor has anyone ever suggested me doing that EVER!!!! If they did, I would not only say no, but HELLL no! And yes, I would suggest lying on the back for best position for delivery of the shoulders.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 PM

Yikes. I would definitely report her. Not only does that seem unnecessary and even potentially harmful (like a PP said, I wouldn't even put that on my *skin*!), how demeaning for her to make a remark about 'making bubbles'. Totally inappropriate and disrespectful.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:26 PM

Oh, one more thing while I am at at, I cannot believe the comment that nurse made "I am making bubbles" ???? My God. She is type of RN that gives all of us LDR nurses a bad rap. We are all not like that...please believe me! There are few of us who don't have our heads up our ass*s when it comes to delivery.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:29 PM

Wow. Please write a letter. Make sure that this doesn't happen to someone else.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narn View Post
Is she just a weirdo? Should I write a letter to the hospital or call the maternity unit and ask her?
Yes and yes. She sounds like she has mental problems and shouldn't be allowed to abuse any other patients like that. SOAP?!? I would have punched her in the face!

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Old 01-17-2008, 01:51 PM

Interesting. I was a doula for my sister in Virginia a few months ago, and the nurse did the same thing with the Johnsons baby wash. She probably went through 4-5 of those little trial bottles of it. I couldn't ever get a straight reason from the nurse as to why she did it- she alluded to make it more "lubricated" and keeping the area "clean." It seemed absurd and invasive to me, but my sister was unquestioning.

They were also insistent on her pushing on her back. The nurse told her that she couldn't sit up at all because "we don't want the baby to get stuck on your pubic bone."

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
Oh, one more thing while I am at at, I cannot believe the comment that nurse made "I am making bubbles" ???? My God. She is type of RN that gives all of us LDR nurses a bad rap. We are all not like that...please believe me! There are few of us who don't have our heads up our ass*s when it comes to delivery.
Oh yeah, she was even nodding her head and closing her eyes in between contractions after hours of complaining how tired she was.

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
Old 01-17-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandFairytale View Post
Yikes. I would definitely report her. Not only does that seem unnecessary and even potentially harmful (like a PP said, I wouldn't even put that on my *skin*!), how demeaning for her to make a remark about 'making bubbles'. Totally inappropriate and disrespectful.

I totally agree. I had them wash off my vulva and perineum with a wet washcloth before pushing, but soap, internally especially, is not appropriate. And your request to side-lie was absolutely reasonable.

But the most disturbing part of your story was the bubbles comment. I would definitely file a complaint.

I am sorry that you were treated that way, Mama. It shouldn't have been like that for you, especially at such an important and pivotal moment in your life.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:15 PM

Wow. I don't even know what to say to this. Her comment was just sickening. Report her ASAP!!!

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

Old 01-17-2008, 02:17 PM

report her. that is totally odd and completely unprofessional.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:24 PM

How bizarre. I am so sorry you were treated this way.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
Old 01-17-2008, 02:32 PM

Jeesh it's like it was a ring that was stuck on your finger not the birth of a baby. What an evil woman. My mom did L&D for 32 years and she said only seven times did they use castille soap for a delivery and it was because the mother had raging yeast infections. If it even helped?
So sorry Mama, take back your birth by reporting her.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
Old 01-17-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookler View Post
Wow. Please write a letter. Make sure that this doesn't happen to someone else.
I have just finished my letter. I addressed this issue, among others, including the handing out of formula "gift bags." I'll post if I get a response.

I am also including a copy of Lamaze's revised labor practices. I'll be sending a copy of that to my OB, too. I was given Lamaze literature at the office, every one of these was violated in my experience. Why hand out literature from an organization that has an entirely different philosophy on childbirth!??

Old 01-17-2008, 02:39 PM

OMG mama. I'm so sorry that happened to you. Yes, yes, yes report her!
Old 01-17-2008, 02:44 PM

Ditto the PP. That is just weird, disrespectful (bubbles?!!), and potentially irritating or harmful for the mother and baby. Write a strong letter of complaint!

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

Old 01-17-2008, 03:34 PM

I've also seen baby shampoo used as a lubricant during pushing. One OB joked that the baby was getting his first hair wash.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:44 PM

OMG, that is bizarre! Please speak to someone as well as send your letter. They could just throw your letter away if they wanted to. You definitely need to report them!

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
Old 01-17-2008, 04:12 PM

~
Old 01-17-2008, 05:13 PM

WTH?!? That is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard!

I second the suggestion to call, not just write. And keep calling until you reach the person you need to reach to take care of this. The soap was outrageous enough, but the bubbles comment was TOTALLY unprofessional. That's your vagina, not a bath toy! That nurse sounds like a psycho!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 PM

Forgive me if this is naive, but is there any documentation out there or written practice guidelines which call for this ... um ... technique? I think I might look around in nursing journals. It seems totally off the wall, especially since most products like that have the words "for external use only" printed clearly on their labels. What the heck!?

Mama, I'm so sorry your birth experience was like this.
I hope writing the letter brought you some degree of clarity and healing.
Have you ordered your medical records, and those of your baby? I think that might be a useful thing for you in your process. And there might be more weirdness.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
Forgive me if this is naive, but is there any documentation out there or written practice guidelines which call for this ... um ... technique? I think I might look around in nursing journals. It seems totally off the wall, especially since most products like that have the words "for external use only" printed clearly on their labels. What the heck!?

Mama, I'm so sorry your birth experience was like this.
I hope writing the letter brought you some degree of clarity and healing.
Have you ordered your medical records, and those of your baby? I think that might be a useful thing for you in your process. And there might be more weirdness.
I was thinking the same thing. It seems really stupid, for lack of a nicer word, to put soap inside any body cavity let alone a vagina that is about to bear a baby. Why oh why do so-called medical 'experts' think we need all this kind of garbage? The human body is designed to do things a certain way for a reason.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:40 PM

Yes, it is for external use only. When I was in nursing college, we NEVER were taught to use anything like that of the sort. As a LDR nurse, I never use anything like to wash the area, just use peri care ointments (which is MEANT to go in and around the vagina) during labor. How rude...I just get more ticked off every time I think about it. I mentioned this to another labor delivery nurse I work with and she had to pick her jaw up off the ground. You need to call the hospital administration office. There is a form you can fill out, but I would suggest maybe paying them a visit. Tell them the nurse's name (they also have it on file who was caring for you in case you can't remember) and report it..NOW!!! If she keeps this sh*t up, someone will get hurt!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:41 PM

I am just flabbergasted...I have worked all over the country and never heard of such a thing...What is the point in the OB gowning sterile and putting on sterile gloves (if that was done) if somebody was throwing disgusting Johnson's brand of soap which is not sterile into your vagina of all places...That is one of the most violating awful things I have heard in awhile and I am sorry that you had to go through it. Please please if you know of the name of the nurse report her to that state's board of nursing for review of her practice so this hopefully won't be allowed to happen again.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootpoetry View Post
WTH?!? That is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard!

I second the suggestion to call, not just write. And keep calling until you reach the person you need to reach to take care of this. The soap was outrageous enough, but the bubbles comment was TOTALLY unprofessional. That's your vagina, not a bath toy! That nurse sounds like a psycho!
Yes, absolutely. IMO, that was certainly abuse.

I'm so sorry you went through that, mama.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)

User Tag List