elective c section for suspected large baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 01-20-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this common? I'm having a hard time wrapping my little brain around this.

A friend of mine, first baby, just had an elective c section today for suspected large baby. The baby was big, I guess. 9 lbs, 11 oz. She was only 38 weeks pregnant with her FIRST.

I don't have more details but this seems odd to me. Sure, I've heard of obs scheduling inductions for suspected large babies...but a c-section? This is a first time, healthy mother who had an uneventful pregnancy.

What am I missing here?
#2 of 49 Old 01-20-2008, 10:42 PM

It happened to me in 2006. DD was expected to be extremely large and an induction would "probably fail anyways, and if we wait until you actually go into labor there is a good chance the baby will die because it won't be able to get out".....I can't believe I bought it, but I was ignorant, and 39 weeks pregnant and ready to have the baby. My OB really scared me. I didn't think I had a choice. DD was born a whopping 8lbs 9oz. I'm hoping to have a VBAC in April/May with a midwife.
#3 of 49 Old 01-20-2008, 10:55 PM

my son was almost 11 pounds at birth...
my ob is old school (over sixty yrs old) said second baby no problem and he was right...I don't think a first down the chute might have been so simple for me...they worry about lawsuits shoulder issues...I found the almost 11 pounder in the right position easier than the 7 pounder in a malposition..

I was actually confused my ob didn't even offer me a section..in the end my ds was born so quickly I didn't believe the nurse I thought I'd be pushing for hours not 4 times...my sis' ob said she'd have not allowed me to go into labour at all....

8 might be enough
#4 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 01:54 AM

I'm on the ICAN email list, and this comes up a lot. Quite often, the baby will only be 7-8 pounds, and the OB will say something like, "well, it's a good thing we did the section, because the cord was around his/her neck". I've lost count of how many people I've talked to who have had sections for suspected macrosomia, and then had a V(H)BAC with a bigger baby the next time around.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#5 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 02:32 AM

SIL had an elective c-section with her first because he was "HUGE!" She went into labor on her own 3 days before the scheduled c-section, and they wisked her off to the OR without even letting her labor at the hospital. Baby was 7 pounds 6 ounces. HUGE, indeed.
#6 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

How wreckless of the obs!
#7 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscunning14 View Post
What I don't get is, how are these women not angry after the fact--after they get cut open and the baby is not even close to what the doctor said it would be.

I would be furious--at the inaccuracy of the sonogram, at the stupidity of my doctor, and at my own willingness to believe what they were telling me.
Yeah, I would too. As mainstream as I used to be, I would still have been angry, mostly at myself, though.
#8 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 11:15 AM

IMO, this is one of THE most common reasons - and most bogus. I would be furious after something like that.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#9 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 12:10 PM

OBs are surgeons. They will find any ole excuse to do a c-section because it is what they are trained in. They are not trained to attend normal birth. C-sections are convenient (for the doc), this way they do not have to worry about being woken up in the middle of the night. C-sections are seen to be the best avoiders of litigation. It "proves" the doc did "all he could" to safely deliver the baby.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#10 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 12:19 PM

I switched OB's when I was pregnant with my first at 8 mos because the one I had was teling me his "rules" like I couldn't push for more than *1 hour* before using interventions (isn't that crazy!?) and that he thought my baby was measuring big and he wasn't sure I could handle it b/c I am so "small." Whatever that means. GOod thing I switched. Ds was posterier and had a nuchal hand, so I had to push for 2.5 hours to get him out. He was 8lbs 8oz, so not huge, but his head was in the 98th percentile. THe OB I switched to was AWESOME! Completely hands off, was very reassuring, recommended and fully supported natural childbirth (recommended Bradley to all of her patients) and had a 4% c-sec rate, including her high-risk patients.

When I was pregnant w/ my 2nd, my OB also started talking about how "big" my baby was measuring and how "small" I am (did he not even notice my hips? These are child-bearing hips here, mister! Short does not equal small pelvis!) Ds2 was asynclitic, 9lbs4oz, and I pushed only a few times before he popped right out. My 3rd was born at home and he also came out in an odd position. My midwife told me I have a pelvis "you could drive a truck through" and that I should NEVER believe anyone who tells me I am too small to deliver a big baby.

I never had any doubts. I'm the same size as my mom, and she had 6 kids w/ aabsolutely no problems.

I would never trust a doctor who tells me I'm "too small" to safely deliver a big baby. Bullshit! My biggest was 9lbs6oz, but judging by how easy it's been for me to push my 2nd and 3rd out, even in their odd positions, I bet I could handle a bigger baby no problem!
#11 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
What I don't get is, how are these women not angry after the fact--after they get cut open and the baby is not even close to what the doctor said it would be.

I would be furious--at the inaccuracy of the sonogram, at the stupidity of my doctor, and at my own willingness to believe what they were telling me.
I can't speak for everyone but, I for one am angry and embarrassed that it happened to me. I just didn't realize that I was being fed lies at the time. period. At that point I hadn't met anyone who had had a natural birth. It's just the common thing around here for women to trust their doctors and have highly medicalized births. I hadn't yet realized that what they do in my town is wrong. Bottom line is that I was made to believe that I should be scared for my baby's life. I was so confused and just wanted my baby in my arms at that point. The experience has made me question health care providers constantly because I worry about getting screwed over again. I've learned from my mistakes and I can only look forward. I am grateful to have learned that my c/s wasn't needed so that I can avoid it this time around (VBACing in April/May). I'm so happy to know all the many birth options that I do have once I looked outside the comforts of my own hometown and community.
#12 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 01:07 PM

I just ran into a chick who was in my childbirth class at the hospital. She said she had a planned c-section because her baby was so big. It was only 8lbs 7oz. She believed that was a large baby. I guess it's larger than the average... but not huge.

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#13 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 PM

My son was 10lbs 11oz. I am so thankful I switched from an OB to a midwife early in my pregnancy. I know my original OB would have given me heck. On my second visit to her I asked about episiotomies (sp?), eating while in labor, etc. Her answers were so obviously "medical" and that my labor and delivery would be a "medical" issue I knew I was in the wrong place. I cried for days (early pregnancy boo hoo's) at the thought of going through the work to find someone else but I did and I never looked back.

I had an ultrasound at 18 weeks and then again around 26 weeks. The doc that did the ultrasound kept telling me I was going to have a big baby. I was thinking around 8 lbs.

My midwives never said anything about how big I was. I'm sure I measured weeks ahead and my stomach was HUGE.

I gave birth at 40 weeks 5 days after 19 hours of labor. I pushed him out in 45 minutes. I tore and needed stitches but I attribute that to his head being in the 75th percentile and I just do not have stretchy skin (genetics, ya know).

I can always hope that I would have stuck to my guns. But I can imagine being overdue, being told your baby is going to be big and hearing that you are risking your child's life by not choosing the surgery can be very hard to not listen to. I know that forewarned (sp?) is forearmed (sp?).

The best lesson women can learn is be prepared and do the research EARLY in your pregnancy. Find a health care provider that listens to you, that you can talk to and question. You've got to listen to that little voice in your head - you know when you've found the right provider and don't ignore the voice just because finding someone else will be inconvenient. It is worth it to find the right one.
#14 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Some of them are angry. Some of them aren't, because the OB quickly covers his/her @$$ with "oh - he/she had a cord around his/her neck" or some other bogus reason why it was a good thing they thought the baby would be big, because labour would have killed it for some other reason.

I know a woman who UBACd and the baby had the cord tight around its neck. She and her dh managed to deal with it, but the OBs tell us that they can't...wonder who the real "birth professionals" are?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#15 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 03:04 PM

It is a crock, because no ultrasound can 100% guarantee a baby's birth weight. It can be off as much as 2 lbs. in either direction. I had one at 38 weeks because the CNMs were paranoid that I wasn't gaining enough weight...well, it all must have been going to my baby, because he was supposedly already 8 lbs. and would likely be 10 lbs. at delivery. He was born at 7 lbs. even. I didn't have an elective C-section, but poor lil' me just couldn't push that whopping 7-lber. out of my teeny tiny pelvis! :

I think there is too much focus on the "norm" which is an 8 lbs. and change baby, and anything bigger than that is "abnormal."
#16 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 05:20 PM

i will never understand why docs keep telling women that their bodies cant handle babies over 7 or 8 pounds.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#17 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 05:38 PM

I dont understand it either.

I'm petite when not pregnant (size 2-4, but when pregnant my hips EXPAANNND, and then go back a few months later,) and I just birthed a 10lb 13oz baby boy with a 15 inch head out my tiny pelvic bone and tiny tissues. This was 2 weeks ago, and I feel fabulous.

Granted, I tore a little bit, but I believe I tore because my body pushed him out SO quickly and forcefully - not to mention, I tore along my scar line from my first birth, which was on-your-back purple pushing of a 10lber.

My DP and I did it in our dining room, just the two of us, in an inflatable kiddie pool without scapels or vacuum attachments.

Seriously, if your body made that baby, it can birth that baby.
[Standard disclaimer for those rare medical exceptions.]
#18 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 06:29 PM

at 8 months my OB wanted to scheulde a c-section for my "large baby" who, on her due date, came at 6lbs. 5oz.
#19 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachsea View Post
at 8 months my OB wanted to scheulde a c-section for my "large baby" who, on her due date, came at 6lbs. 5oz.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#20 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 06:36 PM

This happened to a coworker of mine, her OB wanted to induce before her due date because the baby was measuring big, and when the induction (including Cytotec and a pit drip) didn't work he sectioned her. Granted, it was a big baby, but I know she could have birthed that kid had she been allowed to go into labor on her own. And of course, #2 was a scheduled C because at this hospital you're not "allowed" to VBAC unless you've had at least 1 prior vaginal birth.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#21 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

I'm getting quite an education here.

Reminds me of the line from Paul Simon's "Kodachrome":

"When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school
It's a wonder I can think at all"
#22 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 07:10 PM

Uggh - reminds me of my second - my first was 8 lbs 5 oz. - HUGE! Anyhow they said the next would be bigger - they *always* are! So at his US at 43 weeks they estimated over 10 lbs! I was FLOORED! They literally joked "this one will come out walking, talking & potty trained!" He was 7 lbs 15 oz! Good grief!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#23 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 07:12 PM

I had a coworker (due around Thanksgiving) who was sectioned for a baby that was far too big for her to give birth to. He wasn't even 8 pounds @@ She had a repeat c with her 2nd, too. "I was up and around 14 hours after the birth." Well gee, I was up and around 14 minutes after mine...but if you think surgery is the answer, go for it.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#24 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 PM

I am 5' tall, 105 lbs, a size 0, and had a 10 lb baby, without tearing too.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#25 of 49 Old 01-21-2008, 10:18 PM

This happened to me in 2005. My baby was suspected to be 9lb10oz and I was supposedly past my due date (that they had moved up by ten days at a 12 week U/S, even though I knew when I ovulated and conceived). The midwife scared us (I mean, a midwife wouldn't recommend an unnecessary c-section, right?), the doctor scared us, our families were calling up and demanding to know why we hadn't scheduled the section yet (well, DH's family was) and telling us we were going to kill our baby.

We caved. She was born via scheduled c-section on her original due date. She was 9lb8.5oz. But, my aunts birthed 9 and 10 pounders vaginally, why couldn't I?

I am still pissed off about it.

ACOG even put out recommendations against this stating that far too many women and babies would be subjected to the dangers of a c-section just to prevent one case of shoulder dystocia.

I think my doctor summed it up best when he said to us:"You can say you aren't going to sue me, but you might, so I really need to talk you into the c-section."
#26 of 49 Old 01-22-2008, 04:08 PM

I've seen it, but don't understand it. Sort of a "why bother with labor since it won't work anyway".

I myself was pressured to induce at 40 weeks with my last two and threatened with a c-section if I didn't.

I have always considered the size of the hole necessary to cut in my belly to get a 10 pounder out, and opted to try the regular way first. The very thought of the cutting that would have been required to get ds3 out makes me want to
#27 of 49 Old 01-22-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I think my doctor summed it up best when he said to us:"You can say you aren't going to sue me, but you might, so I really need to talk you into the c-section."

I told the backup doc last time to just get whatever papers she wanted me to sign, removing her from liability.

Next time at my first prenatal I am going to tell the midwives "Get your papers ready for me to sign now because I am going to be just as obstinate and non compliant this time as I was last time. Save yourselves the trouble of trying to convince me I shouldn't go to 42 weeks".
#28 of 49 Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EENS View Post
Is this common?
Yes. More than I would like to admit.

Quote:
I don't have more details but this seems odd to me. Sure, I've heard of obs scheduling inductions for suspected large babies...but a c-section? This is a first time, healthy mother who had an uneventful pregnancy.

What am I missing here?
How ignorant of other alternatives was the mom? I think the doc was banking (literally) on the mother's ignorance, the fear of "what if something goes wrong", and the strength of the manipulation training that med students(and nurses) go thru to make compliant patients out of healthy thinking women....
#29 of 49 Old 01-22-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
And of course, #2 was a scheduled C because at this hospital you're not "allowed" to VBAC unless you've had at least 1 prior vaginal birth.
Of course! And if you can get them induced at 38 weeks, when most ladies are nowhere near ready, and the inductions fail, then everyone has a primary section, and nobody qualifies for a vaginal birth! Bingo! Income for the hospital shareholders, and freedom from liability in a court of law! Wow, I shoulda had a V-8! (grrrrrrr.) And this is why about 1/2 the clients my preceptor and other mws I know have thier VBACs at home, so they don't have to go thru that crap again! and they get to preserve thier uteri.
#30 of 49 Old 01-22-2008, 05:38 PM

Katfka: I am your size as well..about 100lbs when not preggers and I had a 9.7lbs baby and a 9.11lbs baby as well. My first was over 3 hours of pushing and I myself chose an epis. because I was afraid of tearing, and I was SO scared of a C-sec. But my OB is totally awesome and said nope, this kid is coming out the old fashioned way. My second girl was even bigger, no epis. but I tore a little, no big deal. I too felt awesome after...much better than I would had they sectioned me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page