Would you rather transition, or push? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you rather transition or push?
I'd rather go through transition again! 37 20.79%
Give me the pushing! 136 76.40%
Other... 5 2.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had an epidural late in labor for my last birth so only felt the beginning of transition and not much at all of pushing. I know both stages of labor are intense but wondered.... would you rather have to go through transition again, or pushing the baby out?

Which was more painful for you, or more difficult, or more intense?

Just wondering.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#2 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 PM

I hated pushing, so I'd take transition any day of the week. Fortunately both were short for me though.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#3 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 12:20 PM

I liked pushing. It felt good to m e. It was hard work like a workout, but it didn't hurt me.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#4 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 12:20 PM
DBZ

I think transiton was harder then pushing, but pushing my DD out didn't take long at all. I can't imagine getting an epi during transition. I was begging for pain relief (didn't get drugs though). There is no way I could have been on a bed long enough to get that epidural put in place.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#5 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 12:36 PM

push!!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#6 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 12:55 PM

push it out shove it out wayyyyy out!
#7 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 01:15 PM

I hated both, but I voted I'd rather do transition because pushing was the same as transition, but worse.

I had 7.5 hours of transition followed by 25 minutes of pushing. Ctx were 2-3 min apart, long, and excruciatingly painful the entire time. Pushing felt exactly the same as transition, except with added pressure and other awful sensations, and required huge physical effort on my part (instead of the focus I'd had on relaxing through the intensity for the prior 7.5 hours). The baby did not descend in the slightest on its own during pushing; I had to put a lot of effort into it. I also never had a pushing urge.

So as I said, I hated both, but I'd take transition over pushing because pushing was just like transition except worse.

I can fully understand why any sane woman might request an epidural at some point during 7.5 hours of transition.
#8 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 01:15 PM
DBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkygranolamama View Post

#9 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 01:20 PM
DBZ

I doubt I would have survived 7.5 hours of transition. I hope like hell I never have a long labor. That's gotta be horrible.

#10 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 01:20 PM

I had fun during transition. It was kind of like an out of body experience. I was very calm and focused and felt like I was hovering over my body while kneeling in the water. It was GREAT and I would choose to feel that way even if it had nothing to do with giving birth.

Pushing sucked.

I would rather transition.
#11 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 01:23 PM

I'd rather push, pushing #3 was pretty intensely uncomfortable (a surprise cause it was pretty easy with #1 and #2), but still over in 10 minutes, so who cares! Transition is always stinky for me cause I always have a little cervix in front that I have to wait for - this time I figured out to get knee chest on the bed and blow horse lips, and I got through it pretty easily. I got the shakes pretty violently. But it went fast too, so who cares! Having had a long difficult labor, and now a labor where the difficult parts went quickly - I have to say I'll take quick anytime. I can do anything for 10 or 20 min!
#12 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 01:34 PM

Well considering I never went through transition, I would take that any day over having to push. Pushing was not fun.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#13 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 01:39 PM

Transition was a lot easier on me because I could zone out. Pushing is painful to me, so having to actively do something that hurt me when I was so tired was just awful.
#14 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 02:00 PM

Pushing, definitely. Transition was uncomfortably close to constant panic for me.

Both stages were uncomfortable and uncontrollable, but at least with pushing, I could work WITH my body, rather than feeling like I wanted nothing more than to run AWAY from myself.
#15 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 02:08 PM

I pushed for over 4 hours with my first, so definitely transition. With my second, both phases were probably almost equally as bad.

The difference is, for me, during the transition phase there's nothing you can do, during the pushing phase you have something to concentrate your energy on.
#16 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 PM

My pushing felt like transition just kept on going. I pushed for 3.5-4 hours, so it seemed like my transition lasted 5 hours or so. But I think I'd go with pushing, because at least I felt like I was accomplishing something. Rather than just trying to endure and relax through each contraction, I had something to DO. I'd really like to have the pushing experience that people talk about, though, where it feels good to push. I'm hoping that if I wait for my body to start pushing on its own next time that will be more likely.
#17 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 04:38 PM

I would rather push. The contractions are less intense for me and I know that its almost over. Its nice to know that I can play an active role at that point, too. With my first, transition lasted a few hours. It was awful. I had pitocin, I wanted to die. This last time it was only an hour. Pushing is painful, but it only lasted 10 minutes both times for me. I can't imagine pushing for hours, but I guess it would beat a long transition.
#18 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 04:50 PM

Transition wasn't bad for me... not painful, just intense. But, it was hard to catch my breath in between contractions, and there were a couple points where I said "this is HARD." Pushing, on the other hand... was just fun. Especially when I could feel him moving down. That feeling of him passing through the cervix was... um... strange but amazing and wonderful.

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#19 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 04:55 PM

Transition, all the way. I had difficult pushing phases, and it never.felt.good to push. In fact, it hurt. Transition, on the other hand, I spent rocking in a wooden rocking chair, calm, serene, present.

My pushing phases get me to that transition-panic feeling; I don't have it when in transition.
#20 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 05:23 PM

i'd rather push. transition is just so crazy intense. though pushing is pretty intense too, but (for me) not as painful as transition.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#21 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i'd much rather push... i really like pushing, it feels so good for me, and how neat it is to feel your baby's body slide out of yours!

transistion, for me, is full of barfing and contrax one on top of another.. much harder to deal with!

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#22 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 06:25 PM

I reeaaallllyyy did not like pushing. And after everything I had heard and read, I thought I wouldn't mind it, if not like it. I had a drug free birth, and transition was no fun at all. I just kept saying to DH between contractions, "No, seriously, this really hurts." But I think I prefer that to pushing!

My medwife was super coachy, and threatening me with the vacuum (!) though, so that may be why. The pushing lasted all of 25 minutes. I think my medwife had dinner plans...
#23 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 06:54 PM

Give me pushing!!!!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#24 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 PM

The pushing phase was by far my favorite part of labor. I know its not politically correct to say that labor feels good, but I actually enjoyed pushing. It was completely painless with both of mine, it's just an awesome and powerful feeling.

Transition was the complete opposite. I shook, felt nauseous (with my second I vomited), felt hot and cold at the same time, and couldn't find a comfortable position.
#25 of 64 Old 01-24-2008, 09:34 PM

Give me pushing any day. I was in transition forever, and it was exhaustingly hard to endure by that point in my 30 hour labor. By the time I could push, I was so thrilled that it was almost over, I was overjoyed to be pushing. It was hard work, but it didn't hurt in the same way that contrax did, and didn't last as long. I pushed for 25 minutes - no 'ring of fire', and didn't even feel myself tear. I actually tried to argue with my MW when she told me I tore. I was like "Nuh-uh, I did not!".
#26 of 64 Old 01-25-2008, 12:07 AM

PUSHING.

Transition was so intense for me, and since I was out of the water it hurt like hell. I said, "Okay, give me something! give me something NOW!"

Finally, when I felt the urge to push and the contractions spread out I was relieved. Pushing wasn't bad at all... Not even really painful, I felt a slight burn but nothing like you hear people talk about.

I would rather push. push. push. push.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

#27 of 64 Old 01-25-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkygranolamama View Post

I'm totally having flashbacks now.............
#28 of 64 Old 01-25-2008, 01:20 AM

Count me in for PUSHING!! I have long transitions & it's just ctx upon never ending ctx along with some shaking & throwing up. Pushing is intense too but I'm much more in control by that point. Plus, when pushing begins I feel like the end is so close & I'm so ready to meet my baby. (I'd kill for some of the transition stages some of you have described.)
#29 of 64 Old 01-25-2008, 11:06 AM

I say pushing for me. My contractions during pushing don't hurt nearly as bad as transition and my 4th only took about 6 minutes so definitely pushing.
#30 of 64 Old 01-25-2008, 11:19 AM

I'd rather push. It was so intense, but wonderful. Transition was a tad scary and exhausting, and I always get sick to my stomach and shake. It feels cruddy and you don't know how much longer you've got. Pushing was pure elation, I yelled that baby out.

ps I did transition with both my births and only pushed with one, so perhaps that influences my perspective. Also by the time I was pushing I KNEW my VBAC was HAPPENING, so exciting!!!!

ps2 after birthing my VBAC baby, I turned to my husband and said: "that was so much fun!" yep, the pushing was fun.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page