Who screamed during pushing? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 02-01-2008, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another 'roarer' here. Pushing is very hard work and felt so good that there was no way I could not vocalise it. It was also very very loud. I hope any expectant mothers at the hospital heard the joy in my roar, and didnt assume it was hurting.

Decluttering 500/2010
#62 of 80 Old 02-01-2008, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I roared and grunted. I can't say if I screamed. I don't think so.

In my first labor the doctor told me to stop making noise when pushing because it would be counterproductive. I knew she was full of it but I made a strangled-sounding attempt to stop vocalizing.

Dd#2 was a hb. No attempt to halt vocalization and no one shouting at me to PUSH either. It was much easier.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#63 of 80 Old 02-02-2008, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Does screaming at the television during "A Baby Story" and other televised births count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage_SS View Post
My doctor kept telling me to keep in it and use the energy I would used to scream, to push or focus. It must have worked because I only push for about 10 mins.
I dunno. I'm always skeptical when I hear about this sort of "advice" from doctors. Since the emphasis is on no sounds (keeping it in) versus the type of sound, I think it's got a lot more to do with keeping the hospital quiet for the other patients within earshot. 10 minutes is great, but who knows! Maybe it would have been 5 if you had been encouraged to fully go with your body's signals.

Anyway, for me:

I screamed a lot (high-pitched) during the 45 minutes of pushing with my first. It was not nice.

Then I read "Birthing from Within". Using long, low vocalizations totally worked for me in keeping myself calm, relaxed, "floating on the tide" of the transactions, etc. This worked A-1 for me in my following 3 deliveries. In each of them, I had a loud, throaty involuntary yell right as the baby was emerging. It was just intense.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#64 of 80 Old 02-02-2008, 02:02 AM

Not screamed so much as roared.
#65 of 80 Old 02-02-2008, 02:07 AM

I was a and my mom was here(along with the rest of all of our family) and she was SUPER nervous, so I kept it in. My midwife finally told me, you need to push effectively, let out some screams and let them know this baby is coming! Then I started to be too high pitched, so she told me to get LOW and I did and then it was like 3 pushes later!

I will SO not be holding back this time! Grunting and moaning helped me pushed right!!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#66 of 80 Old 02-02-2008, 02:25 AM

I screamed with DD1, and the OB told me to stop screaming because I was wasting energy screaming and not pushing. Well excuse me lady I was in freaking pain!:

With DD2 I didn't make a peep until her head and body came through and I screeched once. But hers was a much gentler birth.
#67 of 80 Old 02-02-2008, 02:31 AM

honeydee, that's amazing that the OB told you that. When I was pushing out #4, my midwive told me to be louder, because if she could not hear me, I wasn't pushing effectively! I wasn't consciously trying to be quiet, but she actually reminded me several times to be louder!

I vocalized (more like moans and groans) during all four deliveries. I screamed when they used forceps on me (no meds) with DS1. I never realized they actually put them inside of you, with the baby's head....I don't know what I was thinking! That hurt way more than the contractions.
#68 of 80 Old 02-02-2008, 02:42 AM

Yes, but it was more like roaring I guess. (and cussing ). My throat (along with the rest of my body) was sore for a few days. I pushed on and off for almost 4 hours. It was a lot more painful than I had thought it would be. And I never felt that instinct to push. I'm hoping next time will be better. :

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#69 of 80 Old 02-02-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_blessed View Post
honeydee, that's amazing that the OB told you that. When I was pushing out #4, my midwive told me to be louder, because if she could not hear me, I wasn't pushing effectively! I wasn't consciously trying to be quiet, but she actually reminded me several times to be louder!
Yeah there were a lot of things about that birth that amazed me too, and not in a good way!

I attended a doula workshop 3 years ago and our instructor told us that for her second birth in a hospital she wanted things quiet and she vocalized because she felt that it made getting through the contractions easier and the nurse kept coming in and telling her that she "should really get an epidural so she would be quiet already!"

Unbelievable.
#70 of 80 Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 AM

No, I didn't scream. When I was ready to push, I was just so happy to be able to work with the contractions. I may have grunted as I pushed, but that was it. However, I am one of those weird women who thinks it felt good to be able to push. Tha pain just magically went away when I was pushing. All I felt were the surges. Oh and I pushed for over an hour. Darn that big head!

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
#71 of 80 Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 AM

I was a screamer. Vocalizations, screaming, whatever you wanna call it. I always thought it weird that unhindered, natural birthing is usually viewed as more quiet and introspective but I screamed my heart out and it felt so flippin' awesome! I was like a mamabear on a mission and it felt really good to just scream.

During the part of pushing when I was in the car on the way to the birth center (at the time I didn't even know was pushing), I sang. It wasn't a conscious thing, but it was like this song just came from somewhere somehow. I know that sounds horribly corny like something from one of Ina May's books or something but I swear it's true! :LOL
#72 of 80 Old 02-06-2008, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Another roarer here. Completely involuntary - he was a bigger baby with a nuchal hand who descended super fast, so it was rather intense. I was so glad our downstairs neighbor was out of town that night!

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#73 of 80 Old 02-06-2008, 11:53 AM

I have to give lots of kudos to my doula for keeping me focused during the pushing. When I would start to "scream", she would encourage me to vocalize in lower (not quieter) groans and moans. I could feel the difference. THe gutteral noises gave me strength, the screaming would drain me. Although, I admit, at the last minute, when I was about to be through it all, I screamed "GET IT OUT!" And there she was. I was so in love with DD, and so over the pain of labor, that at first I didn't know what the doctor was talking about when he told me to push again... oh yeah, the placenta!

Rebecca, wife to DH (4-22-02), mother to DD (10-13-05) and DS (9-24-08)
#74 of 80 Old 02-06-2008, 03:07 PM

I roared, moaned, screamed, and otherwise vocalized. At the very very end though (last few pushes), I was silent.

And like PPs, my doula and MW encouraged me to keep my vocalizing low (not quiet).

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#75 of 80 Old 02-07-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teensy View Post
I ... felt an urge to push like I never had before, there was no way I could not push! and I don't think I could have stopped pushing or screaming if you had offered me a million dollars.
:

The first 15 or so hours of labor it were very sexy sounding as I moaned my husband's name on every contraction...."Oh Leo....oh, oh, ohhhh Leeeoooooo."

Transition: I was moaning/growling/roaring my ass off.

And during the 40 minutes of pushing I was pretty much screaming during contractions and then asking/begging how much longer did I have to go through this in between.

My midwife was trying to get me to relax and breathe, but let me tell you, like Teensy said there was no "NOT" pushing. Telling me to breathe instead of push was like telling me to stop a speeding train with my bare hands. I finally pushed dd out in one big push, unfortunately I tore in 4 places so will try to do things differently this time around!

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

#76 of 80 Old 02-07-2008, 02:19 AM

I was vocalizing in between pushes as suggested by my midwife to sort of keep me focused and not push when there wasn't a contraction (I needed to push so bad even when I wasn't contracting).

It was more like a very low, guttural "buhhh-buhhh" sound. At the point of pushing, I could not scream even if I had wanted to. Too exhausted and too much in pain. :P
#77 of 80 Old 02-07-2008, 02:21 AM

i was pretty quiet for ost of labour, but let it all out during the pushing. i may have woken up my neighbours down the street i was so loud!
#78 of 80 Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies5 View Post
does roaring count? I mostly swear and pray and roar. dd's head was askew.
: That'd be me...and I was really surprised when it happened. I was at home so I didn't have to worry about what anyone else thought which was REALLY nice. It was definitely a much lower sound...
#79 of 80 Old 02-07-2008, 07:37 PM

I clearly remember screaming, "Just take her out! Just take her out!" several times.
#80 of 80 Old 02-07-2008, 08:34 PM

I did a lot of "omm"ing during labor but when it came time to get that baby out I did scream! It was totally instinctual. My throat was sore for the next few days.

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page