Who screamed during pushing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am curious if there are other screamers out there. I screamed out my ds. The screaming was completely involuntary. It hurt, but not nearly as much as it sounded like. I felt bad, I probably made other women change their minds about not having iv narcs or epidurals. I was THAT loud. Thankfully I only pushed 10-15 mins.

So, any other screamers out there?
#2 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I "vocalized" during pushing with all 3 births.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 PM

does roaring count? I mostly swear and pray and roar. dd's head was askew.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#4 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 02:05 PM

Best I can recollect, with #1 (pushed for about 40 minutes) I "vocalized" like a weightlifter or a tennis player straining for a hard shot. It was involuntary, it wasn't shrieks of pain, it was just -- here comes that urge to push okay i've gotta gotta push aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhuhhhhhhhhhhhh .

With #2, one big yell -- I was in the tub, thinking I was still pre-transition, my water popped, and she crowned. I got the full FER reponse - (not just the "pressure leads to the urge to push" that people use FER for, but the full "expel the baby at this moment" reflex). And it surprised the BEJEEZUS out of me. Wow. Every L&D nurse plus the midwife came trotting into the jacuzzi room

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#5 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I screamed for an hour with DD1, it *really* hurt to push her out. I didn't make a peep with DD2, but then again, she was out in three pushes.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#6 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 02:27 PM

Does screaming at the television during "A Baby Story" and other televised births count?

Interesting question, the responses give a perspective on labor I hadn't seen before.
#7 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 02:30 PM

I screamed or did something loud. With my first, I pushed 3-4 hours. I probably grunted or something, but don't recall screaming. With my second, I pushed 2 hours, and was pretty silent. In my head I was screaming though. I thought I was doing out loud but apparently not. With my third, I pushed an hour and I was screaming the last few minutes. Too bad the windows were wide open and we live in a small, very non-sound-proof apartment complex
#8 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned

yup, I screamed with DD. I'm a wuss.
#9 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 03:05 PM

I "roared." Kind of like what you'd do if you were trying to lift up a huge heavy weight. "AAARRRRRaaaaaaarrrrgh!" It took 20 minutes, maybe 5 pushes, and about 8 roars to get DD out.
#10 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I screamed as loud as I could with my newborn (#4). The only one I made any sound with. She came out OP/facing my thigh, and it was killer.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#11 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 03:21 PM

With my first two, I did no screaming. I even remember wondering after #1 why someone would scream - I just didn't get it. But with #1 I also never felt an "urge" to push and it took over 2 1/2 hours for me to push him out (after 36+ hours of labor, I definitely felt an urge to get the baby out! but no instinctual pushing urge).

#3 however, I screamed and I screamed loudly. I am sure I scared all the laboring moms on my hospital floor. I also felt an urge to push like I never had before, there was no way I could not push! and I don't think I could have stopped pushing or screaming if you had offered me a million dollars. #3 was out in just a few minutes, so it may have been intense, but it was over quickly.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#12 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 03:42 PM

I never got to pushing, but I screamed throughout my entire labor. I started screaming about 8 in the morning, and I screamed until he was born at 10:30 pm.
#13 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 03:44 PM

I thought I was being really loud, groaning or roaring through most of my pushing. I thought I was shaking the walls. But my husband tells me I wasn't that loud. I did scream when his bottom (which had been partway out for a long time, breech baby) finally slipped free, and he was out to the top of his head. Then I screamed again getting the top of his head out. It didn't really hurt, though, it was just so intense, and I was soooo glad to finally be getting him out...
#14 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 03:55 PM

Yes, and it wasn't even particularly painful. I think I screamed louder than what the pain was, kwim? But screaming felt good. I think about the open, loose mouth helping the vagina be open and loose thing. Maybe that's why.
#15 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapersmion View Post
I thought I was being really loud, groaning or roaring through most of my pushing. I thought I was shaking the walls. But my husband tells me I wasn't that loud.
Same here. It wasn't screaming, but felt like I was doing a lot of grunting.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#16 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 PM

I defintely screamed while pushing out dd. She was born in one long, screaming push, with a pause while she was crowning to announce, "this really fucking hurts" and then her head was out. It was definitely screaming, not vocalizing by the end of that labour, and my throat was sore and my voice slightly hoarse for 2-3 days afterwards.
#17 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 04:11 PM

Yep with the last 3. Not a lot but I definitely pushed at one point.

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#18 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
I am curious if there are other screamers out there. I screamed out my ds. The screaming was completely involuntary. It hurt, but not nearly as much as it sounded like. I felt bad, I probably made other women change their minds about not having iv narcs or epidurals. I was THAT loud. Thankfully I only pushed 10-15 mins.

So, any other screamers out there?
I screamed through active labor and pushing. I had a beautiful, amazing water birth. It was totally unmedicated and lovely yet I screamed through every contraction. I stopped and asked my midwife why none of the women in the videos we watched screamed. It was so weird, I never scream normally and it really didn't hurt that bad, I just had an overwhelming desire to scream.
#19 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 04:17 PM

No I did not scream. My doctor kept telling me to keep in it and use the energy I would used to scream, to push or focus. It must have worked because I only push for about 10 mins.
My second labor was hello jello. I'm still surprised I survived it, and I have a very high pain threshold. I moaned alot, and growled. The nurse who was trying to put in a demerol drip didn't put it in right and the IV flew out of my arm and I sprayed the walls with my blood. My blood pressure must have been really high. I can't remember much, other than praying to just die already.
I know I didn't scream tho, my hubby was screaming for a damn doctor to come, but he was busy watching football in the lounge.

My third was an emergency C/S. So it might have seemed highly innappropriate if I had started screaming while lying numb on an OR table. Come to think of it tho, it would have been funny! Well maybe not.. maybe its a bad idea to scare the beejeesuses out of people who are currently slicing your abdomen open.
#20 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post

With #2, one big yell -- I was in the tub, thinking I was still pre-transition, my water popped, and she crowned. I got the full FER reponse - (not just the "pressure leads to the urge to push" that people use FER for, but the full "expel the baby at this moment" reflex). And it surprised the BEJEEZUS out of me. Wow. Every L&D nurse plus the midwife came trotting into the jacuzzi room
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahwhat View Post
I defintely screamed while pushing out dd. She was born in one long, screaming push, with a pause while she was crowning to announce, "this really fucking hurts" and then her head was out. It was definitely screaming, not vocalizing by the end of that labour, and my throat was sore and my voice slightly hoarse for 2-3 days afterwards.
I had the same thing with ds (both dds I had epidurals and was in the hospital) Ds was born at home in a pool. I'd have to watch the video again to know if I screamed or just yelled, but I know I was loud. I got in the pool at midnight, my water burst and tada there was his head. He was born at 12:03.
#21 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 04:29 PM

i think pushing was the only time i was quiet,
the rest of the time i mooed like a cow!

**-wendy, mama to elu!(8/1/07): **
#22 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommal View Post
I "roared." Kind of like what you'd do if you were trying to lift up a huge heavy weight. "AAARRRRRaaaaaaarrrrgh!"
That. I pushed for an hour and a half. I did very loud toning through labour too. I said "oooooouuuuuttt baby" lol

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
#23 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 06:42 PM

I roared through labor and screamed through giving birth. I'm quite sure the entire hospital heard me.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#24 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 08:12 PM

Yup, I screamed plenty! My bonehead doula at my first birth tried to get me to moan low a la Ina Mae, which was truly awful to be told (as if I was doing it "wrong") but I screamed anyway and during my second birth I screamed too.
#25 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 08:52 PM

Low tone groaning/moaning/roaring here.
Couldn't get out a high pitched scream if I wanted to, in labor or otherwise

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#26 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 09:04 PM

I didn't scream at all. I just made a low-pitched grunting type noise.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

#27 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 PM

I didn't make any noises of any sort with DD1 which was a hospital birth, however with DD2 I moaned and groaned throughout the entire labor only 3 1/2 hours but completely silent while pushing.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#28 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 PM

I screamed, roared, and yelled. Really loud, I was.

With birth number one, the midwives said yelling would help me, told me to let it all out. Said I was like a mamma bear!

Birth number two, I hollered, but the silly midwife told me to be quiet or I would scare the baby.: This p!ssed me off. If I need ro scream, I need to scream.

She also ruptured my membranes without asking.:
#29 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 PM

I screamed at the top of my lungs through both labors. Early in my first labor it worried me that I was screaming so much, but then I gave myself permission to scream as loud as I wanted, and I found that I enjoyed screaming and it really helped.

Both times the midwives were obviously somewhat concerned that I was screaming "too much." They tried to get me to act calmer, breathe differently, make "low" sounds, etc, and it made me mad! With 20 years experience assisting births, wouldn't you think they would understand that some women just want to scream?
#30 of 80 Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 PM

No screaming here. I moaned and groaned some whenever I took a break from pushing. I pushed for just over 20 minutes, and I remember it hurt more NOT to push when I felt the urge. At one point I felt like things were moving too fast and I tried to rest. But ignoring that urge was excruciating and I kind of whimpered and cried. I can't believe it actually felt good to push that baby out.

Jackie, Catholic mama to Elijah (6/07) & Gabriel (2/10) and our angel baby, m/c 7/29/12. Expecting someone new in October 2014!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page