Delivering placenta - what does it feel like? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2008, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...at least thats how I remrmber it.

I had thought it would be painless, no big deal, because it's never talked about, right? Welllllllllllll, boy was I wrong!!!

I feel like the birth was no big deal compared to the placenta. I had no Epidural for the birth, but had I known what pain getting the placenta out would have been, it might have made me think twice about the epidural. (No, I'm really glad that I didn't have the epi, and I probably wouldn't again, but still....)

For some reason the placenta didn't want to come out. And after all the excitement and hard work from pushing out my DD the euphoria sort of wore off and then the pain started in. I had also lost a lot a blood and so passed out a few times right after the delivery, --maybe because I hadn't eaten very much that day either. The midwives seemed in such a rush to get the placenta out, they kept on pushing at my belly and pulling, I kept on saying; "What's the rush? Do you have to be somewhere?" to which they explained that it was dangerous to my health if the placenta stayed in too long. I don't know if that's true, because form all the research I'd done I'd never heard that there was a time limit to getting the placenta out, but I also think that my experience is an exception to the rule. (All you ladies with your squish, plop. Sigh...) I do know how dangerous it is if a piece of the placenta remains inside afterward, but is that related to how quickly it comes out? I don't think so.

-- Miss 1928 -- and Opera Singing Mamma to Eloisa -- 12 Feb 2007
-- Wife to a Wonderful Husband and Pianist -- 27 March 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2008, 04:28 PM

I had a bad tear, so it hurt like hell when the midwife pulled my placenta out over the tear (cord traction). And a whole bunch of blood gushed out all over the room.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had a waterbirth; after a while of holding my new baby in the tub and nursing a little, the midwives helped me walk over to the bed, where I sat halfway up supported by pillows, and the main midwife asked if I'd like to try to give a little push to get the placenta out. She held a bowl under me, I gave a little, painless push (not at all like pushing the baby out), and the placenta just plopped out into the bowl. Didn't hurt at all, from what I remember, at least not in comparison to the baby's birth! In fact, it actually felt good! It was a relief to get it out. I felt so weightless, like I had just lost 50 pounds.

Happily married for 9 years. 8 year old son, 6 year old daughter, 4 year old daughter, and Baby coming mid-to-late July 2015!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:12 AM

It felt very squishy.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 02-10-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMakingMemories View Post
I had a waterbirth; after a while of holding my new baby in the tub and nursing a little, the midwives helped me walk over to the bed, where I sat halfway up supported by pillows, and the main midwife asked if I'd like to try to give a little push to get the placenta out. She held a bowl under me, I gave a little, painless push (not at all like pushing the baby out), and the placenta just plopped out into the bowl. Didn't hurt at all, from what I remember, at least not in comparison to the baby's birth! In fact, it actually felt good! It was a relief to get it out. I felt so weightless, like I had just lost 50 pounds.
I was just reading through the responses and thought "Am I the only one who thought it felt GOOOOOD??
I had an unplanned unassisted birth in my tiny bathroom, I stood up to push baby out then sat back down with cord and all still in. Fifteen minutes later midwives showed up and she's like let's get that placenta out >..I told her nope sorry I'm done my job (I was totally out of it), and she laughed and hlped me out of the washroom and was like "come on! It'll feel so good" LOL

It really did :

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Old 02-10-2008, 01:29 AM

Same here.. reading through the responses and thinking to myself.. come on.. someone else say it feels good. Because honestly that's how it felt to me. Really good. I gave a little little push and this really cool feeling came over me as it slid out. I actually *liked it* ~ I feel like such a weirdo

: totally blessed mother of 2
Old 02-10-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingmybabe View Post
In three words: painless, squishy, plop!
:
Old 02-10-2008, 02:06 AM

My midwife gave me pitocin and had me push without contractions because I was bleeding heavily. It hurt pretty bad.

ETA: It felt like hardened jell-o

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
Old 02-10-2008, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ditto for me on the plop and squoosh, or whatever. I was still in the water, so it just kind of slid out, and I have memories of a couple mild contractions and an urge to push. In the video, I have just a little facial twinge, look away from dd for a couple seconds, and then ask the midwife if we're all done now?
(Although on a side note, I suddenly became RAVENOUS, and had a total understanding of the mommas who eat the thing. I took mine home to the freezer for planting, but really, I have a whole new understanding.)
Old 02-10-2008, 04:02 AM

I remember it being squishy with mild contractions, but I really wasn't paying much attention as I delivered the placenta because I was so excited to be holding dd and that labor was over.

: 10/06 : 10/09
Old 02-10-2008, 04:09 AM

I don't really remember what it felt like coming out cause my husbands best friend was too busy crying, holding my hand, and saying thank you etc. but I didn't like how my OB rubbed my tummy and moved it around before I half pushed it out.

I haven't read the above descriptions - but I've heard some women say that it feels like an orgasm... (Definitely did not feel that way for me though...)
Old 02-10-2008, 08:02 AM

Don't know how to describe it......... I just stood up in the pool and out it whooshed like some giant slug. No need to really push, was just the exeertion of standing up that did it.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:41 PM

I remember that the midwife told me that if I gave a little push the placenta would be out, and I groaned and said, "No more pushing!" But she told me that it had no bones (apparently a common saying) and I laughed and it came sliding out on its own. It actually felt very soothing on my tear. I was having some fairly painful afterpains, but they kept going all night, so I don't blame them on the placenta.

To the PPs who had a hard time with the placenta, I'm sorry it was that way for you. Sounds the same a births can be - if everything goes well and you aren't bothered, they're usually great, but if there are complications or interference, the whole experience can be no fun at all.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:41 PM

I agree with everybody else: just a big plop. I was standing as well, don't remember really pushing at all, but I do remember being quite surprised at this big slippery thing that just flopped out, then even more surprised that the midwife managed to catch it!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashewMommy View Post
:
Mine too. My midwife said it be very uncomfortable the more children a woman has had. This was my first...
Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 PM

I had a little bit of difficulty with mine - not that it was painful for anything. My mw could tell that it had detached, but I couldn't seem to push it out while lying in bed (not how dd was birthed). I ended up sitting on the toilet (with a chux pad under the seat) and it just plopped right out.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:51 PM

Mine felt really good! It was huge, too. I felt that after a whole day and a half of contractions that felt like they went on FOREVER and being exhausted and wanting the baby to come already... it was about 30 min after she came that I just suddenly rose up on my knees and birthed the placenta. It was so smooth and painless and satisfying because as soon as I knew it would come, it did... unlike my baby! The fullness pushed on the tender areas of the canal just right, very soothing. Plus I felt like a goddess from having just had my baby, and it was a very beautiful moment of completion of the birth process. I did eat a chunk, and I'll do it again! After all that labor, swallowing something "icky" is the easiest thing in the world.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
Old 02-14-2008, 08:39 PM

My SIL was telling labor horror stories yesterday. She said birthing the placenta was the hardest part because it was so painful. She said all three times the doctor or nurses would push really hard on her stomach until it came out. Why did they do that? From what I've read on this thread, it really shouldn't be painful, but that it can painful when other people get involved. She really scared me. I think I can handle the pain my own body decides to have, but how can I handle the pain at the hands of another?

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
Old 02-15-2008, 12:50 AM

After a very short, intense pushing stage with DS who came into the world like he was shot out of a cannon, almost no pain at all for a the placenta.

Like others said, very squishy. I was on such an emotional high seeing my babe for the first time, I bearly noticed any thing else.

Jackie, Catholic mama to Elijah (6/07) & Gabriel (2/10) and our angel baby, m/c 7/29/12. Expecting someone new in October 2014!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:00 AM

For me, the placenta was pretty much a non-issue...now the after-pains on the other hand...:

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun

User Tag List