Delivering placenta - what does it feel like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2008, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What does it feel like to deliver the placenta? I've always been curious about this and may never have the chance to experience it myself (: . I've read that you start getting contractions again. Does it just kinda slide out? I'm figuring it must be a non-event for the most part because I've never heard anyone IRL talk about it. Certainly the excitement of a new baby trumps anything else going on! Sorry for the dumb questions, but I really want to know!

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not a silly question!!! I admit I was terrified to push out the placenta because I'd just finished pushing out a baby and I wasn't sure I could do anything else. My midwife assured me that the placenta has no bones or anything to make it difficult but I wasn't thinking clearly at the time so this didn't reassure me. I went to get out of the pool and suddenly felt pressure so I gave one small push and it slid out. No pain that I noticed. It felt like passing a blood clot during a period. I'm assuming since my cervix was open and everything was stretched out at that moment that's why it didn't feel any different than a small clot normally would.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 02-07-2008, 06:25 PM

well, to me, it is squishy and slippery and slides our with a little less effort than the baby, but feels large because of its mass. Thankfully, the baby has already stretched the vagina so it can come out smoothly.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 PM

I don't remember very well. I know I had to push but it really seemed like a non-issue.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:46 PM

It hurt some, but not much. It felt big and squishy.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:57 PM

Mine felt really cool. Like a great big BLOOP! It really was just like a really tiny push and it felt like it filled up my vagina that was feeling super empty once the baby was pushed out. Definitely an interesting feeling. Mine didn't hurt that I remember.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 02-07-2008, 07:53 PM

A little while after he was born, my uterus gave two tiny contractions (no pushing on my part) and it felt like my insides just flopped right out and it was really warm... It felt pretty cool- like a bunch of squishy stuff just rolled out of there, and it didn't hurt at all.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

Old 02-07-2008, 08:41 PM

All three of mine hurt a little, but it was the stretching sensation rather then anything else. By the time I said ouch, it was out.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 PM

I honestly don't really remember... I guess that means it wasn't a big deal. I remember pushing just a bit but I was so busy with ds by then I wasn't really paying attention to anything other than him.

Mom to (5) (9)
Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 PM

I didn't remember feeling mine come out at all. Actually I was so sore from DD coming out I'm not sure I would have felt it. I didn't have any more contractions, it just fell out a couple of minutes after DD was born. I really think part of it came out with DD and the rest was just right there waiting to come out when it finished detaching.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Mine felt really cool. Like a great big BLOOP! It really was just like a really tiny push and it felt like it filled up my vagina that was feeling super empty once the baby was pushed out. Definitely an interesting feeling. Mine didn't hurt that I remember.
Yeah that.

SAHM to four beautiful babes :
Old 02-07-2008, 08:58 PM

I did not have contractions again, not that I could fee l anyways. It just kinda plopped out.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 PM

I'd have a contraction or two, but they weren't painful then a small urge to push, and out it came, with my first it did hurt a bit, but not bad, with my second it took two contractions and a bit more pushing but it didn't hurt. Compared to having a baby it was nothing. I was aware of it, even with the baby, but not bad.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 02-07-2008, 09:08 PM

No more contractions really here- just a full feeling vagina and PLOP.

-Angela
Old 02-07-2008, 09:20 PM
DBZ

I had to push a little which I was so not motivated to do . It felt wierd. I like the description someone used of a clot during a period.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 02-07-2008, 09:32 PM

In three words: painless, squishy, plop!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, so maybe I felt something similar (on a much smaller scale) when I lost my mucus plug...I vaguely remember the squishy feeling, but I was too busy being freaked out (at 32w4d) that I didn't give much thought to the actually feeling of it.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 PM

I don't remember feeling any contractions. Just that the OB came over to attend to me about 10 minutes after the birth and said, "Now it's time to deliver the placenta ... Oh. It's right here," and he pulled it out (I think it had just been sitting in my vagina, but I was pretty out of it, so don't remember feeling anything there). Like everyone else said, it was just squishy and slid out. Much less painful than a baby, even though I had two tears.

I wonder if, in general, someone is more likely to feel the contractions with each subsequent birth, because you tend to feel afterpains then too (whereas not usually with the first birth).

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
My midwife assured me that the placenta has no bones or anything to make it difficult
My mw told me this too and during my second birth I asked dh to repeat it to me. I find that contractions intensify as the placenta is coming out and I found it pretty tough both times. I thought those contractions hurt a lot. The "crowning" bit was easy though, since no bones, yay!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:10 AM

It feels like pushing out a big marshmallow.

:

At least that's what my midwife told me at the time and I remembering thinking that was a pretty accurate description. It was a strange sensation!!!

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:17 AM

I agree with the plop and bloop

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:15 AM

Yeah, bloop and plop are the first two descriptions I'd reach for. It was big and slippery and slithery and it just kind of plopped out in a way that felt strangely good. Just, like, y'know. Bloop. Plop.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:24 AM

I felt uncomfortable, and was told to give a little push to deliver the placenta. I was not having contractions.

It was warm and squishy and didn't hurt coming out. I didn't feel a gush of blood or fluid or anything, though there was some blood (dh told me so later). I felt better - like a bit of a relief, and the uncomfortable feeling was gone - once it was out.

Very easy, no pain, no issues. Now, if only the doctor hadn't then decided to go excavating for clots (totally unnecessary and very unpleasant). :
Old 02-08-2008, 11:01 AM

I had one majorly strong contraction about an hour after dd was born, I stood up and pushed the placenta out into a bucket the midwives held between my legs. The contraction hurt but the placenta didn't, although as pps said I had a moment of feeling my my vagina was really full.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:02 PM

I don't remember pushing but I do think it was directed (maybe the m/w put some traction on the cord also). I don't even remember if I was holding dd (probably not). I do remember that it just slid out and I had little control over it - my body pushed it out. It was painless, squishy, warm...

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
Old 02-08-2008, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'll tell you just what baby then placenta was like to me. Typical stretching and work through head, then this rough jostling as he turned and came out (I yelled don't pull him but nobody was doing anything), then a few minutes later the placenta came and it felt sick and squishy but easy to push out, and instantly I felt just about 100% recovered, not in labor anymore or pregnant anymore.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:36 PM

it felt a lot bigger than I expected. Like it just kept coming, lol!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 02-08-2008, 09:58 PM

No pain, contractions, or pushing. It just kind of plopped out on its own. Just bloop and plop. In fact, I was so involved with ds that when I felt it come out, I jumped and said "What was that??!!??" I had actually forgotten the placenta was coming.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmama8824 View Post
it felt like my insides just flopped right out and it was really warm... It felt pretty cool- like a bunch of squishy stuff just rolled out of there, and it didn't hurt at all.
:

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 02-09-2008, 05:54 AM

it really just felt like a gush of something coming out. Something liquidy...no pain!

User Tag List