Wrist size an indicator of pelvis size? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2008, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Nope. I have hips and a pelvis you could drive a hummer through and TINY wrists...

-Angela

Me too!!! Well maybe not a hummer, but atleast a Minivan or regular sized SUV - my 9lb 9oz rolly polly drove thru just fine! A bit of shoulder dystocia - but that was cuz his shoulders were significantly larger than his head. My little football player.

BTW - I can't wear adult sized watches cuz my wrists are too small - but I have a horrible time finding jeans to accomodate my "birthing hips"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008, 01:41 PM

....not to mention that many of us have 'mixed' skeletal types! I have small-to-med sized upper body bones, with medium-to-large lower body bones. So, kind of average sized wrists (I'm 5'1"), but fairly large ankle bones.

Sounds like one of those 'rules of thumb' that really doesn't hold much water for most people.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:42 PM

I don't think so. I wear a 4.5 ring and my longest pushing time was 20 minutes with my biggest baby (7 lbs. 13 oz.).

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

Old 02-13-2008, 01:43 PM

Ok I am going to say that I think that yes it could be possible, the OP didn't say that it had anything to do with whether or not you could birth the baby or not, just that there was a size comparison.

Now I also want to comment on the evolution not allowing women to grow babies larger than they can birth. This was true in the day when people ate the foods that man is supposed to eat. In that time there was not an obesity problem either. What we eat while pregnant does affect the way our children grow inside.

Now that is not to say that large babies can not be birthed vaginally, however I can say that my body for some reason does not produce contractions. I have never had a braxton hicks contraction and the only contractions I have ever felt are from Pitocin. I went 4+ weeks over with my first and they used pitocin to induce, after 3 inductions in the course of a week and no progress when they shut off the pitocin even with my water broke my contractions stopped. I ended up with a c-section. With my 2nd my water broke on its own 4 weeks early, I stayed home for 12 hours and at that point went to the hospital as I had just been told I was GBS + the day before at my appt so didn't want to cause problems because of that. When I arrived my was only dialated to a 1 and was having NO contractions.
So for some reason my body does not move along in labor and we don't know why. It doesn't make me happy, but I have accepted it. I do not think that it has anything to do with the fact that evolution anymore there are too many man made substances that are put into our bodies now that we are well past that!

Hugs
Jessica
Old 02-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltroy View Post
My mom is a MW and she has told me multiple times that even *body* size has nothing to do with how open your pelvis is. Apparently the most "open" person she's ever encountered (via vaginal exam, during labor) was one of her clients who is 4'10"!
How cool that your mom is a midwife!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:46 PM

My wrists are abnormally thin and tiny (I am 5'10"), and I have had several practitioners over the years comment on how roomy my pelvis is while doing pelvic exams.

On a similar note- you also cannot tell by a person's external build how wide their pelvic inlet or outlet is. Tiny women can have larger pelvises than big and tall women.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:14 PM

Let's see, I have a tape measure here...

My wrists are 6.5 in, I'm 5'10, and my hips are a big fat 39 inches around the bony part (still need to get rid of some baby weight). I can't measure the inside of my pelvis with my tape measure , but it was big enough for an 8 pound breech baby with a huge head. I'm a tall person with a big pelvis, but I don't know if my wrists count as "big" or not. They don't look big compared with my hands, anyway... What's average wrist size, in inches? ...Ahah! Internet says 6.5 inches is average for women, 7 inches for men. And this site says that the average hip measurement of women in 1950 was 34 inches, and in 1990 it was 37 inches. So, looks like I have average wrists and a big pelvis. (Sorry for the stream-of-consciousness here.)

I think that like most generalizations, this theory isn't very useful. It would be interesting to measure lots of people just to see, though - as long as some OB didn't start telling women they would have to get a c/s because of their wrist size!
Old 02-13-2008, 05:36 PM

hogwash.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 02-13-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmommy View Post
Now I also want to comment on the evolution not allowing women to grow babies larger than they can birth. This was true in the day when people ate the foods that man is supposed to eat. In that time there was not an obesity problem either. What we eat while pregnant does affect the way our children grow inside.
This is a good point. Dr. Weston Price (who travelled the world in the 30's to study traditional diets vs. the modern diet and their effect on dental health) found a strong correlation between a modern diet of white flour and sugar and narrowed hips in women (he also saw narrowed dental arches and crowded teeth in people on a modern diet as well). Dr. Price tells a story in his book about a fellow doctor that lived near the Eskimos but had not once been able to make it in time to attend a birth of an Eskimo baby where the mother ate the traditional diet (primarily fish and seal blubber - both very rich in nutrients). They had fast, painless labors and would often do so in the middle of the night and not even wake their husbands who were sleeping just inches from them!! The Eskimo women that were on a modern diet had longer more painful births and were more likely to have difficulty so the doctor had no problem making it in time to attend their births. This is ancedotal of course since its never been scientifically researched but it has left a powerful impression on me - especially since I'm preggers with a baby girl this time. I really want to eat a nutrient dense/traditional diet for her so she'll have nice birthin' hips and hopefully less painful labors in the future. Of course, seal blubber will NOT be on the menu.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saving_grace View Post
This is a good point. Dr. Weston Price (who travelled the world in the 30's to study traditional diets vs. the modern diet and their effect on dental health) found a strong correlation between a modern diet of white flour and sugar and narrowed hips in women (he also saw narrowed dental arches and crowded teeth in people on a modern diet as well). Dr. Price tells a story in his book about a fellow doctor that lived near the Eskimos but had not once been able to make it in time to attend a birth of an Eskimo baby where the mother ate the traditional diet (primarily fish and seal blubber - both very rich in nutrients). They had fast, painless labors and would often do so in the middle of the night and not even wake their husbands who were sleeping just inches from them!! The Eskimo women that were on a modern diet had longer more painful births and were more likely to have difficulty so the doctor had no problem making it in time to attend their births. This is ancedotal of course since its never been scientifically researched but it has left a powerful impression on me - especially since I'm preggers with a baby girl this time. I really want to eat a nutrient dense/traditional diet for her so she'll have nice birthin' hips and hopefully less painful labors in the future. Of course, seal blubber will NOT be on the menu.
Wow, that's pretty fascinating stuff!

If I have some time I'll ask my doc more about her wrist/pelvis theory. Again, she was not positing that women with small wrists could *not* birth vaginally. It was just a quick comment she made last time I saw her that I found interesting.

A happy woman
Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not true.
I have a thin frame and had a great time birthing naturally a big baby- who was also my first. I could have had a larger baby.
I do have long feet. long and narrow.

Decluttering 500/2010
Old 02-14-2008, 12:59 PM

I Don't believe it. I have tiny wrists, fingers, and feet. My midwife said my pelvis is more than adequate. I pushed both kids out in less than 15 minutes.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:02 PM

I have thin wrists, and a huge pelvis! Pushed out a 10 lb 2 oz, first baby too! Outta this pelvis....
Old 02-15-2008, 10:07 AM

I have very slim, delicate wrists. I can fit into very small bracelets and watches that much smaller, shorter women can't. I'm tall with ample hips. I have always had real hips. No matter how skinny I get - and I've been "model" skinny - I always have a curvy figure because my hips/pelvis are a good size. It's also why I can't get below a size 6 (though I did have one size 4 skirt I was able to wear for awhile, but honestly it was sized a little big), and why jeans never fit - if the hips fit, the waist is gigantic on me.

Dh insists it's one of the things that attracted him to me! Whew! I spent too many years worrying about the fact that I couldn't get my bones any slimmer in that area, lol.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post
My dr. told me this last week, and I found it very interesting. I'd never heard it before, but I suppose it makes sense. I know a lot of ladies on here get mad over hearing someone "can't" have a vaginal delivery because of their height...but looking at wrist size makes sense to me. I'm not short (I'm 5' 4") but I have a TINY frame - my wedding ring is a size 3 1/2.

Anyone else ever heard this theory?

*note* We did not have this conversation because my dr. was trying to scare me into anything

I'm adding this on to prevent confusion:She wasn't saying anything about birthing babes or that a small wrist equaled not being able to birth vaginally. It was just a comment that wrist size indicated pelvis size. I gave birth to an 8 lb. 4 oz. babe with her 2 years ago, so that wasn't what she was saying at all.
I would have to say NO. my wrists are teeny tiny and my oldest was 9lbs 10oz. I have huge hips.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
Old 02-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana9+2 View Post
I have very slim, delicate wrists. I can fit into very small bracelets and watches that much smaller, shorter women can't. I'm tall with ample hips. I have always had real hips. No matter how skinny I get - and I've been "model" skinny - I always have a curvy figure because my hips/pelvis are a good size. It's also why I can't get below a size 6 (though I did have one size 4 skirt I was able to wear for awhile, but honestly it was sized a little big), and why jeans never fit - if the hips fit, the waist is gigantic on me.

Dh insists it's one of the things that attracted him to me! Whew! I spent too many years worrying about the fact that I couldn't get my bones any slimmer in that area, lol.
OMG me too! I can't get into a 6 either...I have to wear a 7 (juniors) or 8 (womens)

and always a belt to hold that waist in...

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
Old 02-15-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Nope. I have hips and a pelvis you could drive a hummer through and TINY wrists...

-Angela
:
Old 02-16-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
To elaborate - this doctor is positing a link between bone structure - as measured at the wrist - and pelvis size. I can't imagine how those two parameters are linked. I could see suggesting that a small wrist would equal less robust bones in the pelvis - but that would make the pelvis bigger on the inside if the bones were smaller.

It's already hard to talk pelvis size because of the way people think about it = hip size, butt size, broadness at the front. Some of those parameters are about fat distribution or muscle distribution. But even at the root - the outer dimentions of the pelvis are not really germane to the discussion - it's the inner dimentions of the pelvis that are being assayed by childbirth. There are some "boy hipped" women that have huge interior pelvic dimentions, and some broad bones pelvises with tight quarters on the inside.
Exactly. I have teeny tiny wrists and pushed an 8 pound 6 ounce baby out in about 5 minutes (the midwives even told me to "blow candles" because he was coming out so fast).

My mom has the hips of a boy, that is to say, virtually none at all. She had the same scenario with my brother and I too. We couldn't get out fast enough it seems.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:11 PM

when i first opened this thread i miss read pelsis foe penis. HEHE

That is what this id beginning to sound like to me. There is no way to tell this eather IMO
Old 02-16-2008, 10:59 PM

I have a tiny wrist, very small-boned. But i've got birthin' hips and my 8pound, 1 ounce baby popped right out (#1, at 7-12, took a bit longer but still came out in less than an hour of pushing and no trouble).

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

Old 02-17-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie76 View Post
My wrists are abnormally thin and tiny (I am 5'10"), and I have had several practitioners over the years comment on how roomy my pelvis is while doing pelvic exams.

On a similar note- you also cannot tell by a person's external build how wide their pelvic inlet or outlet is. Tiny women can have larger pelvises than big and tall women.
EXCELLENT point.

I'm 5'7", thin, tiny wrists, narrow hips--but a generous pelvic outlet.

As for the theory, "well, now we eat McDonald's so now babies are too big and don't fit anymore".....baloney.

When it comes to birth, really, the deciding factor is baby's head, and I'd love to hear some impressive newborn head circumference numbers from this "modern diet = a need for c-sections" crowd--but I know I'm not going to hear any. And remember, we're talking about a baby head that was built to be squished and turned cone-head to get out. A greasy American diet might make a person pudgy or have gross poop, but it's not going to change the fat distribution or bone structure of a baby's noggin.

I'd rather blame intervention-happy clock-watching care providers who put their patients on their backs for pushing as to why now it's "harder" to get a baby out in our modern world.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:21 PM

I have medium-sized wrists and my midwife says I am built like a barn (my pelvis).

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 02-17-2008, 02:30 PM

I just saw this on the main page and had to respond. I have THE smallest wrists EVER. Seriously...they are like 4.5 inches around. Everyone pokes fun at how small my wrists are.

I delivered an 8 pound 1 ounce 21 inch long baby vaginally. I know that's not super big, but if my pelvis size correlated with my wrist size I'd have been in trouble!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

Old 02-17-2008, 02:30 PM

hmmm I don't know. I have tiny little wrists and an "ample" pelvis according to my mw
Old 02-17-2008, 02:32 PM

my wrists change size with my weight, but my pelvis doesn't. so i dont think that is true.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Old 02-18-2008, 01:19 AM

I don't have a tape measure, but my wrists are very very tiny. My wedding band is a 3 3/4. I'm 5'6" and would say my overall build is medium. However, I think my pelvis is quite ample! I remember very vividly at my first OB exam (age 15) the dr commenting that I had a great pelvis for childbearing and childbirth....she joked that I wouldn't appreciate it at the time, but that it was a very good thing.

Both of my babies were only 7lbs, but they came out quite easily.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
Old 02-18-2008, 01:26 AM
Old 02-18-2008, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
how do pygmy women give birth? wrist size, shoe size and even pelvic shape and size are not the best tools for determining ability to give birth- natural labor is the best tool- babies mold and twist and turn, connective tissue softens and allows the pelvis to shift around mobility in labor is a tool and can help as well
doctors who tell you about your wrist size=pelvic = successful birth run from that doc - this person is not preparing to support your choice to have a vaginal birth.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:42 PM

I have tiny, tiny wrists. Wedding band is a 4.5. I also have enormous "childbearing hips." So, for me... not the case...
Old 02-18-2008, 08:48 PM

My ring size is also a 3 1/2 I had 2 babies 8.5 lbs & 9lbs at home no problem.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &

User Tag List