Wrist size an indicator of pelvis size? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 02-11-2008, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dr. told me this last week, and I found it very interesting. I'd never heard it before, but I suppose it makes sense. I know a lot of ladies on here get mad over hearing someone "can't" have a vaginal delivery because of their height...but looking at wrist size makes sense to me. I'm not short (I'm 5' 4") but I have a TINY frame - my wedding ring is a size 3 1/2.

Anyone else ever heard this theory?

*note* We did not have this conversation because my dr. was trying to scare me into anything

I'm adding this on to prevent confusion:She wasn't saying anything about birthing babes or that a small wrist equaled not being able to birth vaginally. It was just a comment that wrist size indicated pelvis size. I gave birth to an 8 lb. 4 oz. babe with her 2 years ago, so that wasn't what she was saying at all.

A happy woman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 60 Old 02-11-2008, 09:57 PM

No info but subbing to see what others say...

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#3 of 60 Old 02-11-2008, 10:00 PM

I think it's total bunk - as is the shoe size theory.
And that's my professional opinion.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#4 of 60 Old 02-11-2008, 10:00 PM

Absolutely not. In my case my I'm 5'2" tall and my wrist is only 5.5" all around. As a first time mom, I birthed my average 7lb 8oz (at 38weeks) baby very easily. My active labor was only 6 hours and I pushed for 30 minutes. I feel I could've easily naturally birthed a much larger baby.

DS 5yrs coolshine.gif DD 1.5 joy.gif Second mommy to 4 DD's jumpers.gif

#5 of 60 Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
No.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#6 of 60 Old 02-11-2008, 10:06 PM

i've read that nature doesn't give mothers babies they can't push out naturally. it doesn't make evolutionary sense. there are exceptions and abnormalities of course, but this theory seems way too general. if that were true, then small people wouldn't have passed the evolutionary test and would have instead been selected out of the gene pool by this time. we've been on the planet a long time.
#7 of 60 Old 02-11-2008, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda2r14 View Post
Absolutely not. In my case my I'm 5'2" tall and my wrist is only 5.5" all around. As a first time mom, I birthed my average 7lb 8oz (at 38weeks) baby very easily. My active labor was only 6 hours and I pushed for 30 minutes. I feel I could've easily naturally birthed a much larger baby.

Woah now! She wasn't saying anything about birthing babes or that a small wrist equaled not being able to birth vaginally. It was just a comment that wrist size indicated pelvis size. I gave birth to an 8 lb. 4 oz. babe with her 2 years ago, so that wasn't what she was saying at all.

A happy woman
#8 of 60 Old 02-11-2008, 10:09 PM

I never heard of wrist size or shoe size!

Out of sheer curiosity, I just measured my wrist -- it is only 5.25 inches around (and I'm a little "puffy" at 37 weeks ) I'm barely 5 feet tall and DD1 was birthed naturally -- 8lbs 2ozs.

I'm not sure what the shoe size theory is, but I've got some pretty big feet

ETA: I do know of other "relational" parts, for lack of a better term! For example, your forearm is the same size as your foot and your nose and ears are the same size as well. I'm off to Google now!
#9 of 60 Old 02-11-2008, 10:10 PM

Well, I do have a very slender wrist and "light" bones, and prior to having children, my hips were practically non-existent. But pelvises stretch in pregnancy and birth. (Well, the ligaments do.)

So I, with my "narrow hips," vaginally birthed a 10 lb. 4 oz. baby.

Granted, he was a shoulder dystocia presentation, and I blew my hip during his birth, but I did it, and after a few months and a few adjustments with a DO, my hip was fine. Without the adjustments, I still would have been fine, it just would have required a little more time.

Guess it's a good thing we don't give birth from our wrists....
#10 of 60 Old 02-11-2008, 10:11 PM

Ridiculous. I'm 5'8" and have very narrow bones. Size 7.5 shoes, size 4.5 rings, 5.5" wrists. I birthed a 9lb1oz baby.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#11 of 60 Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Bunk! I have tiny wrists and birthed babies just fine.
#12 of 60 Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 PM

To elaborate - this doctor is positing a link between bone structure - as measured at the wrist - and pelvis size. I can't imagine how those two parameters are linked. I could see suggesting that a small wrist would equal less robust bones in the pelvis - but that would make the pelvis bigger on the inside if the bones were smaller.

It's already hard to talk pelvis size because of the way people think about it = hip size, butt size, broadness at the front. Some of those parameters are about fat distribution or muscle distribution. But even at the root - the outer dimentions of the pelvis are not really germane to the discussion - it's the inner dimentions of the pelvis that are being assayed by childbirth. There are some "boy hipped" women that have huge interior pelvic dimentions, and some broad bones pelvises with tight quarters on the inside.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#13 of 60 Old 02-11-2008, 10:45 PM

I have big wrists, HUGE feet and an equally large pelvis. So for me, individually, there is a correlation. I had a 10 lb, 2 oz baby, by the way.
#14 of 60 Old 02-11-2008, 11:32 PM

That's ridiculous. I'm 5'3, and while I DO have big feet, I have small wrists. My kids have not only been BIG, they've all come out in strange positions. My midwife tells me I've got a pelvis you could drive a truck through.
#15 of 60 Old 02-12-2008, 12:13 AM

Nope. I have hips and a pelvis you could drive a hummer through and TINY wrists...

-Angela
#16 of 60 Old 02-12-2008, 12:14 AM

I also don't believe in it. I have tiny wrists but my ankles are not tiny and I'm 5'8 with largeish feet. My wrists alone would say I'm small framed, but I have never considered myself small framed. My pelvis is plenty large - my son while only 7 pounds 2 oz, had a 10+ lb baby head size.
#17 of 60 Old 02-12-2008, 02:12 AM

Tiny wrists and hands here. Petite (when not pregnant or immediately postpartum ) in general. 10lb first baby, 10lb13oz second baby.
#18 of 60 Old 02-12-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Nope. I have hips and a pelvis you could drive a hummer through and TINY wrists...

-Angela
Ditto - tiny, tiny wrists and huge honkin' pelvis/hips here.
#19 of 60 Old 02-12-2008, 02:53 AM

I don't believe it. I have TINY wrists and big baby-bearing hips. I don't think wrists and your pelvis have any relation.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#20 of 60 Old 02-12-2008, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GathererGirl View Post
Ditto - tiny, tiny wrists and huge honkin' pelvis/hips here.
Me, too. Itty bitty wrists and big 'ole hips a la my Grannie.

I have a small frame and am 5'5" and ~120 lbs.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#21 of 60 Old 02-12-2008, 08:08 AM

No. It doesn't make sense. Anatomy just doesn't work like that. I would love to know who taught her that...
#22 of 60 Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 PM

IMO, it's just another example of personal opinions being provided as scientific theory

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#23 of 60 Old 02-12-2008, 01:38 PM

It is probably a bunch of bull, but for me I like the idea. I am only 5ft2 and was coerced into a c-section for fetal macrosomia without a TOL. DD was 9lbs8.5oz. I have had lots of people tell me there was no way I could have given birth to her because of my size (and it hurts every time they say it).
Well, I may be short, but I have big bones. My wrist is over 6 inches around. My hips are not particularily wide, but the midwife I hope to use next time said it isn't the outside of your hips, it is the inside of the pelvis that counts. My aunt vaginally birthed my nine pound cousin, and she is as short as I am. Next time, I hope to push out an equally big baby.
#24 of 60 Old 02-12-2008, 02:00 PM

I think that generally, bone structure can be sort of guessed like that... you assume someone with large wrists, feet, etc is going to generally be large boned. But that's not always the case; people are not always proportional. And I think it would also be everyday, non-pregnant, non-birthing pelvis size. It has nothing to do with how much stretch your ligaments will have, how open you have the capacity to become, etc. I'm not sure that there's another body marker that would correspond to that because it's such a specialized thing; there's nothing else in our bodies that works that way.
#25 of 60 Old 02-12-2008, 06:36 PM

i seriously doubt it.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#26 of 60 Old 02-12-2008, 06:54 PM

My mom is a MW and she has told me multiple times that even *body* size has nothing to do with how open your pelvis is. Apparently the most "open" person she's ever encountered (via vaginal exam, during labor) was one of her clients who is 4'10"!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#27 of 60 Old 02-13-2008, 12:21 AM

I have to wear children's watches, and my 9lb 15oz son was born vaginally (with a nuchal hand, even), so...I'm dubious. And I doubt anyone would say I have small hips...

Edited to add: And I'm 5ft tall exactly, if that matters.
#28 of 60 Old 02-13-2008, 12:24 AM

Why would your bone thickness have anything to do with your pelvic width?

I'm built pretty much identically to my mom and have a 6.25" wrist and I was born via c-section because of bad positioning. One of the MDCers I've met is about my height with a much smaller frame and she's had 4 without trouble.
#29 of 60 Old 02-13-2008, 12:33 AM

Well I think it's interesting anyway!
I'm shorter than you, tiny wrists, same size wedding ring as you.

My daughter was 8lbs 3oz, three days shy of her due date, my son was 6lbs. 15oz, born at 36 weeks.

Interestingly, my daughter, after 31 hours of labor, was born via C because she was pretty much STUCK, for lack of a better word. She was posterior, forhead presenting. I was 10cm for a long time, and neither of my midwives, nor my doctor could turn or reposition her. She was right there. They could see her head, could feel her eyebrows, just couldn't budge her, and couldn't use the vacuum. She wasn't in distress yet... but oh lord, I was after that much time.

No one ever mentioned CPD, and it wasn't on my surgical report, but I wonder.

My doctor nearly needed to use the vacuum to remove her during the C-section, she was that firmly in there.

My son was born early for reasons unrelated to size or previous C. Though I'm sure had he had the opportunity to incubate for as long as his sister, he'd have been bigger at birth! And I was sure I'd be able to VBAC him.

Now, both my mother (my size), and my MIL (smaller than me), birthed naturally & vaginally 7 children between them with no problems. So who knows! My thought going into my first birth was that I'd have an easy time of it - heredity & all that.
Anyhow, it's an interesting theory. Did you find anything on google?

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#30 of 60 Old 02-13-2008, 07:52 AM

I have small wrists and "birthing hips"

Not all those who wander are lost 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page