Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
From Hello Magazine.

"I didn't want any surprises. Honestly, I didn't want any [vaginal] tearing. I had heard horror stories of women going in and having to have an emergency C-section [anyway]. The hardest part was deciding on his birthday. I wanted to leave it up to fate, but at the same time I was ready to be done early!"

- Christina Aguilera, on giving birth to baby Max

Discuss.
Five years ago I would have been horrified and said all kinds of nasty things about her. I was super natural and super crunchy about birth then. But I had a REALLY traumatic birth with my 4 yr old and I would have preferred a planned c-section over that, and even now, the idea is tempting. After what I've been through, I just can't judge.
#32 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
I posted this on the Birth Professionals forum.

I just can't believe a doc would say, "Oh, you don't want to tear? No prob. Let's schedule major abdominal surgery instead." The hell?!?!?! Is that going to become another medical reason for a c-s -- tearing phobia????
I have had 2 c/s and just had a VBA2C and had a second degree tear (ouch). I'd do the vaginal w/the tear before the c/s again in a heart beat!
#33 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Five years ago I would have been horrified and said all kinds of nasty things about her. I was super natural and super crunchy about birth then. But I had a REALLY traumatic birth with my 4 yr old and I would have preferred a planned c-section over that, and even now, the idea is tempting. After what I've been through, I just can't judge.
i love humbling experiences. i could have written your post. mama, i had a vbac and it was cool! whatever you decide, you have to do what's best for you. i will admit that a planned c is much better than an emergency c, but i still wouldn't want to plan one "just in case" for me.
#34 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 08:38 PM

when i read that she was "ready to be done early", i interpret that as she was "trying to avoid stretchmarks". i truly think that's why a lot of women in hollywood have scheduled c's.
#35 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 08:39 PM

Hello all!

I have removed some posts from this thread that violated MDC's stance on namecalling. Please remember that we are here to promote natural, normal birth and oppose unnecessary medical interventions, not to denigrate or insult individuals who make ill-informed decisions. Please review the user agreement for more information, and PM myself or georgia if you have any questions. Thank you.
#36 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Hmmm.

Tear (or even episiotomoy): 1/2 inch scar that is usually not even visible to the naked eye...

Cesarean scar: 4 inch scar that never goes away...

Guess she really doesn't THINK, does she?

Probably had the c/tuck anyway. And an earlier c/section to avoid the last-three-week expansion, which is when most stretch marks happen, right?

I want to get superstar famous so people can ask me about MY awesome homebirth experience!!!

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#37 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Well according to the ACOG we shouldn't base our birth decisions on fads from famous people. And while I frequently don't agree with the ACOG, I think I'll be "good" and take their advice this time.
Great post!
#38 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8'sMom View Post
I would have thought she would have had the vaginal delivery
and Nicole Richie would have opted for the c section.
Well at least they are both breast feeding.

Are they really both breastfeeding?? That's great news! The past year or two have been great for hearing about celebs happily breastfeeding.
#39 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 09:55 PM

And she didnt even wait until 40 weeks, but only 37.
She said it was a no brainer and her hardest decision was choosing his birthday!
Its just so crazy to me, on so many levels. OF all the things to consider about labor and birth.

Well she is breastfeeding at least.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#40 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
yes but you are speaking from experience and valid emotional trauma. she is speaking from ignorance.

meh. I just don't care what people do with their own bodies, if they prefer abdominal surgery to a normal birth, whatever- I just feel a little bad for the baby with the increased risks of being premature, having respiratory problems, etc.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#41 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessasMilkMama View Post
And she didnt even wait until 40 weeks, but only 37.
Well, that's considered "term" now, don'cha know.
#42 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 10:47 PM

You know, I don't think she is a bad mother for making the decisions she did. She has her reason, and whether we agree with her or not I don't believe we should bash her personally. Maybe its not the same decision any of us would make, but it's her choice, her body, her baby. And csections and circumcision for religious reasons are not the makings for a bad mother.

I was happy to read that she is breastfeeding.
#43 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 10:47 PM

She didn't want any tears in her vagina, but she happily ripped off her son's foreskin.

Nice.
#44 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 10:56 PM

Are they her choices to make? Yes.
Do those choices make her a bad mother? No.
Does that mean the choices are good or even "ok" choices? No.

At Mothering, we are in favor of genital integrity for all humans, and the safest, healthiest birth possible for all mamababies (which is, sometimes, a cesarean surgery birth, but more often is unhindered, natural, normal birth). People who make other choices are not "bad", but those choices may be.
#45 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 10:58 PM

Celebs also have c-secs so they don't get as many stretch marks either. Noticed how she had to "decide" when his birthday was. Sigh.

Jenny, mother of two boys; 7-25-06 and 7-27-08. Loving wife to Cole. I love birth! :
#46 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
Well, that's considered "term" now, don'cha know.
and this is a whole other topic. : i went to 44 weeks.
#47 of 55 Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post

At Mothering, we are in favor of genital integrity for all humans, and the safest, healthiest birth possible for all mamababies (which is, sometimes, a cesarean surgery birth, but more often is unhindered, natural, normal birth). People who make other choices are not "bad", but those choices may be.
well said. she has to live w/the c/s trauma and scars. she's not forcing anyone else to have a c/s. yes, i know she is a voice out there saying a c/s is ok, great, whatever, but it is up to all of us to educate ourselves and make our own decisions.
#48 of 55 Old 02-16-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post

I agree. I just hate that young girls have so much exposure to this type of thinking, and very little exposure to normal/natural birth
#49 of 55 Old 02-16-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
She didn't want any tears in her vagina, but she happily ripped off her son's foreskin.

Nice.
This totally sums up the irony of the situation.

The baby will probably mostly be raised by a nanny anyway and hopefully the nanny has a lot better of a mothering instinct than his actual mother.
#50 of 55 Old 02-16-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
Wow. Just wow. How much you want to bet that she is more worried about being less tight down there then getting a tear during birth. And penis balloons at the circ. That is just sick.
This is exactly what I thought too. Penis balloons??
#51 of 55 Old 02-16-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoginisarah View Post

The baby will probably mostly be raised by a nanny anyway and hopefully the nanny has a lot better of a mothering instinct than his actual mother.
Umm.... was this really necessary? Like Arwyan said her decision does not make her a bad mother.

Also... not all women who have c/s have "c/s trauma". Also not all women who have c/s have enormous pain 6 days post partum as a PP said. I went home on advil, not in all that much pain. My foot surgery was worse than my c/s.

Having had a medically scheduled premature c/s.... People chosing to have early babies makes me I wanted to have a vaginal birth and could not, and will not be having one. Having to have one and choosing to have one are very separate things in my mind.
#52 of 55 Old 02-16-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
Seriously, if you don't want surprises, kids are a BAD idea. ;-)

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#53 of 55 Old 02-16-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoginisarah View Post

ouch! come on now!
#54 of 55 Old 02-16-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
I posted this on the Birth Professionals forum.

I just can't believe a doc would say, "Oh, you don't want to tear? No prob. Let's schedule major abdominal surgery instead." The hell?!?!?! Is that going to become another medical reason for a c-s -- tearing phobia????

No, they would probably say "It's ok-we can make a big ol cut from your butt to your vagina called an episiotomy."

Seriously though, I think if you have enough money people will tell you whatever you want to hear.
#55 of 55 Old 02-16-2008, 10:30 AM

Thread closed to new posts. The MDC User Agreement requires that we:

Quote:
Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
Quote:
MDC serves an online community of parents, families, and parent, child and family advocates considering, learning, practicing, and advocating attachment parenting and natural family living. Our discussions concern the real world of mothering and are first and foremost, for support, information, and community. Mothering invites you to read and participate in the discussions. In doing so we ask that you agree to respect and uphold the integrity of this community. Through your direct or indirect participation here you agree to make a personal effort to maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere for our guests and members.
Quote:
Mothering.com is the website of natural family living and advocates natural solutions to parenting challenges. We host discussion of nighttime parenting, loving discipline, natural birth, homebirth, successful breastfeeding, alternative and complementary home remedies, informed consent, and many other topics from a natural point of view.
Birth and Beyond is intended to be a forum to promote natural childbirth through support, information, education and encouragement. This isn't the place to disparage or ridicule others. Please PM me or Arwyn with any questions or comments. Thanks

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page