any vaginal babies with allergies, eczema or asthma - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a c-section 8 months ago with my first son, and I am now filled with regret. I have been reading articles online regarding a study that says that c-section babies miss out on all of the good bacteria that is located in the mother's birth canal (bacteria that is essential for the development of the immune system), and now I am terrified that my son will have a compromised immune system for life! Ugh! One of the articles scared me more than the other. I can't find the link to the scary one (which said vaginal birth is critical and vital to the baby's life long term), but here is the one about asthma:

http://www.family-tips.org/in/160

At the very least the study indicates that my son will be much more likely to have allergies and asthma and possibly other problems. When I stopped to think about it, all of my friends that are c-section moms have kids who have eczema, allergies and/or asthma. I am in a panic.

Are there any moms out there that have children from vaginal deliveries that have food allergies, eczema or asthma? I would love to know that c-section babies aren't the only ones. I would love for you to share your stories, experiences, advice, etc.
Thanks.
#2 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 01:15 AM

I have asthma and was a vaginal (albeit premature) birth. my younger son was vaginal and he has (I believe) asthma. his dr agrees with me but she doesn't want to diagnose him yet

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#3 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 01:16 AM

My dd was a vaginal med. free birth and she has allergies (both food and seasonal), eczema and asthma. I believe her eczema is partly due to genetics and believe strongly that vax played a roll as well because of the timing of the vax and onset of eczema. Asthma is something you see a lot with eczema kids and allergies as well.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 01:33 AM

Both born vaginally...one has excema and the other nut allergies. Both were vacinnated in the 70s. Sometimes its external, sometimes its genetics...
#5 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 01:35 AM

My DH was a vaginal birth and he had severe allergies as a child, his brother also vaginal has severe asthma. And my sister (vag of course) has eczema.

All those kids were full term too. So while the vaginal bateria may be beneficial it doesn't guarantee that a child will not have these issues.

The c/s wasn't your fault (unless you planned it) don't beat yourself up over it, you did the best you could at the time. I understand that remorse, but your child is not damaged because of it and your bond can be just as strong as a vaginally birthed baby.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#6 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 01:39 AM
DBZ

I have asthma and was a vaginal birth. I also was deathly allergic (throat would close from hives) to just about every food out there for the first three years of my life. My middle child was a vaginal birth and has asthma. My oldest was a c-section and has none of the above.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#7 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 01:46 AM

Hm. That's interesting but there are so many other variables. I wouldn't beat myself up if I were you.

My older DD was a vaginal birth and has no allergies or health issues that I can think of. Unless there is a diagnosis for CONSTANT TALKING. lol

My younger DD was an emergency c-section and she does have eczema (argh I always want to spell it with an x in there) but no other health issues.

-Vijay
#8 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 10:01 AM

Yes.

My first son was a C-section, vaxed till age 18 months and has no allergies etc. My second son was a VBAC--super healthy pregnancy, completely unmedicated and full term, untraumatic vaginal birth, at home. No vaxes, and he has severe food allergies and mild eczema. So you never know. I assume you didn't choose a C section for your convenience, and there is nothing you can do about it now, as you can't go back and redo your birth.
#9 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 10:11 AM

Don't feel bad, my DDs have a milk allergy but it runs in the family. Both vaginal births.
#10 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 10:55 AM

Don't beat yourself up about it, my daughter was a perfectly normal vaginal delivery and she has severe eczema and is allergic to egg.
#11 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 11:05 AM

My eldest has asthma.

My 3rd child has eczema.

My 4th child has eczema, cow's milk protein allergy, possible wheat/other grains allergies as well.

All my children were vaginal births. The only one (the 2nd) who doesn't seem to have any of this was my preemie, NICU baby. Go figure. I bet genetics has more to do with it than anything.
#12 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 11:15 AM

DH, DS, DSS and I were all vaginal deliveries. DS has and I had mild eczema. DH has asthma. DSS has both asthma and some food allergies, mostly outgrown at this point. Your son may or may not experience ecema, asthma or allergies, and I'm not inclined to think that c-section vs. vaginal birth is the deciding factor.
#13 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 11:34 AM

All of my children have been vaginal births. All of them have asthma and/or environmental allergies. My youngest has food allergies, asthma and environmental allergies. All of my children had excema when they were small (under 2) and my youngest still does.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#14 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 01:11 PM

My husband was born vaginally and exclusively breast fed for the first 6 months and has horrible allergies and asthma.
#15 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for all of the posts. i have been worried sick over this...just being afraid that my ds would suffer long term effects of a c-section. thanks again.
#16 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 02:16 PM

I have asthma and I was born vaginally.
#17 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 02:54 PM

All 3 fo my kids were vaginal births (1 hospital, 1 home w/ mw, 1 home UC) and all 3 have eczema AND allergies (seasonal and environmental).

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#18 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 02:57 PM

all babies were vaginal and med free, all have excema to varing degrees, food allergies and one has asthma. and hayfever and enviormental allergies as well

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#19 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 03:45 PM

DS#1 - vaginal birth has environmental allergies, dust mite allergies, had a milk protein intolerance as a baby and has asthma. He has had crop, pnemonia and in general more health issues than DS#2 who was a c-section.

DS#2 - c-section baby hasn't had any of those problems. He gets a runny nose every once in awhile but that's it.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#20 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 05:35 PM

It's true that being born by c-section does increase baby's risk for allergies a tiny bit. BUT, being born by c-section to a mom with allergies increases baby's risk for allergies a LOT.

http://www.americanscientist.org/tem...true&print=yes

Asthma and allergies are both autoimmune disorders that appear to be very closely related in some ways, so this info is relevant to your inquiry. Make sure to click on the pics for detailed caption information.

IOW... *just* delivering by c-section has only a small effect. *Just* family history has only a small effect (but bigger than c-section). The two together have a synergistic effect that dramatically increases the chances of allergy.

You can start your child on probiotics now (sprinkle the powder on your nipples before nursing) and possibly improve or mitigate things. By being aware of the issue and the possible factors involved, you're going to be in a much better position to help this NOT be a lifelong problem.

Believe me, I know how you feel. Between 11 doses of IV antibiotics during labor and a c-section delivery, it's totally NOT a surprise that my son is allergic to wheat, dairy, and canola (so far). But we do what we can, and when we know better, we do better!
#21 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 05:43 PM

DD was a natural vaginal birth, and is allergic to cow's milk and is prone to eczema (usually from the cow's milk). DH and I never had allergies or eczema. DH was born c-section, and really couldn't be any healthier. He rarely gets sick, and says as a child the only time he missed school was when he broke his leg. Of course, my experience is just anecdotal, but I agree that while a c-section CAN contribute to those things, it doesn't mean it WILL, or that other factors can't trump it.

: 10/06 : 10/09
#22 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 06:16 PM

Both dd's were vaginal, DD1 has allergies, DD2 has allergies and eczema.

Both my sister and I were vaginal; I have allergies, my sister has eczema. I'm older, she's younger.

I think it's a lot more genetic than just way of birth.
#23 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 06:23 PM

I know lots of babies (and grownups!) born vaginally with one, some or all of those issues. I have a friend with two children, both with pretty serious food allergies, both born vaginally (their dad had alot of allergies as a kid, that obviously has factored in for them, but I know lots of people with no family history and no c-section with allergies, too). DS has some issues with eczema and he was born vaginally...but my skin is prone to eczema, too, so again the family thing seems to play in there.

Maybe the risk is slightly higher with a c-section, but it's just a risk, it's not a sure-thing cause and effect relationship.
#24 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 06:42 PM

My dd not only was delivered vaginally, but also (and still is) breastfed, which is also supposed to reduce the risks of allergies, eczema and asthma, but she still has food allergies and very bad eczema. Just to be clear, I am not trying to put down the benefits of breastfeeding, I just think that some kids are just going to get these things no matter what you do, so don't feel bad...
#25 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 06:55 PM

oh, momma. i hear ya. as if the c-s wasnt enough to deal with on its own. both my dh and i were born vaginally (though dh was really pushed back in then pulled out, and we both have allergies, and dh has asthma. ITA-- there are so many causes. DS is, thus far, knock on wood, as healthy as a horse. i know i got waaay caught up in cause-effect thinking... and, well. really, you can find evidence for just about anything, kwim? build that baby a good immune system by bfing, probiotics, avoiding artificial parfumes and chemicals and stuff, but mostly, just love that baby up and love YOU up.
xoxoxox
#26 of 72 Old 02-16-2008, 08:08 PM
L J

Mama. I know its easier said than done, but try not to beat yourself up about things that are out of your control. You can't turn back the clock, so there is really no sense in stressing yourself out at this point, kwim?

FWIW, my son, born UC after a complete UP, who has never in his 13 months seen the inside of a doctor's office or hospital, who was exclusively BF'd for 7 months and is still nursing very frequently now, who was born to a mom who herself is unvaxed, who lives in the healthiest environment I can provide (no toxic cleaning chemicals, no smoke, etc) still has a pretty bad case of eczema. I think in his case, its just genetic. I had it as a baby, and outgrew it as a young child. I am hoping he will, too.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#27 of 72 Old 02-18-2008, 03:07 PM

My vaginally home-birthed, nonvaxed, exclusively breastfed by a whole foods plant based diet mom has eczema... and he's the only one of my children and on both sides of the family to have had it... and it's pretty bad. So I guess you just never know...
#28 of 72 Old 02-18-2008, 03:25 PM

Yup, my med-free naturally birthed DD has allergies and eczema, and so do I. That's from the list of things I hoped NOT to pass down to her!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#29 of 72 Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 PM

My husband has all three...
#30 of 72 Old 02-18-2008, 07:47 PM

My vaginally born daughter has eczema and some kind of allergy that we are trying to identify.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page