Postpartum Joint Pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-17-2008, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have exerience with postpartum joint pain? I am 5 months postpartum and have noticed joint stiffness all over, especially in the feet and knees. I thought for a while it was all the yoga i was doing, but that seems not to be the case since I haven't done any in a week.

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#2 of 8 Old 02-18-2008, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well I was hoping some one else would have replied because I would love some info about this. But I too had postpartum joint pain mostly in my knees and it has seemed to go away now (my baby is a year old) but it does come back when I exercise a lot. Oddly though it didn't start to go away until I started to exercise regularly. So maybe there is something about getting the optimal amount of exercise. Don't know, just guessing, I hope someone else has more information.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#3 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 04:26 PM

I've got no answers, but I had joint pain in my hands and fingers when my son was about 6 months old. I had a battery of tests done, which came back negative- was told to take some Tylenol if it bothered me enough, and it just went away in time. Maybe 2 months, tops?
It was odd. Hope yours goes away quickly, too.
#4 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#5 of 8 Old 02-20-2008, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My issue was hip pain...and to this day I still find myself waking up in horrible pain, where my hips feel locked or like they're being squished unmercifully.

I had knee and foot pain after baby 4, because of (I believe) excess water weight. My feet were like watermelons and I felt like I was retaining the Nile in my legs. My arches actually fell during that pregnancy...it was excruciating.

Joint pain from pregnancy is usually due to the way we carry ourselves and the support we give our arches during pregnancy. Most of us have a tendency to walk like a chicken...butt out, bello out, rounded shoulders, and to retain water and not wear properly supportive shoes because sandals give more freedom of movement.

Good luck, Mama. It will get better.

(FWIW, I also have shoulder joint pain from years of sleeping with my arm curled around the top of a baby's head while it nurses, and of slinging 5 babies for a total of 14 years). WHooft.

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#6 of 8 Old 02-21-2008, 01:43 AM

Joint pain is often a result of liver and/or digestion issues. Examples of causes would include antibiotics, anesthesia, or other drugs such as pitocin, which you may have been exposed to with or without your direct consent during birth.

You might consider seeking a naturopath or chiropractor specializing in energy and nutrition, or at least visiting your local health food store and asking for advice on liver support. I wouldn't recommend a full"detox" during nursing for obvios reasons, but liver support in the form of whole food supplements or an herb such as milk thistle would be gentle support.Another option would be tio eat half a raw or lightly steamed red beet per day.

I realize this might not be the reason for everyone's joint issues. It is, however, a common cause.

Good health!
#7 of 8 Old 02-21-2008, 08:56 PM

I have pp joint pain and was not exposed to any drugs during birth... but I wonder if acupuncture would help.

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
#8 of 8 Old 02-22-2008, 11:17 PM

Certainly wouldn't hurt!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page