"Thought I was dying" question - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted that I thought I was dying while in early labor on another bb. In later labor/pushing I realized that it probably wasn't the worst pain possible. I would think a severely broken bone would be worse.

eta: It was my first birth, but I was prepared to experience the pain. It was intense though! I survived w/out meds.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettymom View Post
I said several times in labor that I was dying. I wasn't actually fearing for my life, just describing the pain. Also, I knew that once I said it I would be near the end (you know, like all the women in the birth videos) so I kept saying it hoping it would speed up the process. Turns out I lived.
I agree with this statement.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#33 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 01:37 PM

No, I never thought or felt like I was dying...I WAS a bit concerned with my most recent labor, though. I was a week "overdue", he was over 10 lbs, and I was stuck at 9 cm for about 5 hours. That's a bit distressing, but I dealt with the pain O.K. And one point, I just looked at my midwife with a look of dispair, and it was like she read my mind. Without me saying a word, she knew my "look" wasn't due to pain, and said "We won't have to go to the hospital...don't worry!" And she was right!

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#34 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 03:26 PM

I totally thought I was dying with #1.

Pitocin. I blame pitocin.

This next time around, there will be no pitocin. Mark my words.

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#35 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
I get the 'felt like I was dying' stuff for sure. For me I worried about whether the intense level of pain I was experiencing, pain I couldn't have imagined before giving birth, was normal or if something was wrong. I remember asking the midwife incredulously, "Is this really how it's supposed to be?"
I had a very similar experience when i was having my first child. It hurt way more than i thought it could, and I was sure something had to be really really wrong. I asked my midwife and she said it was normal. That made all the difference to me, and i went on and had my ds a few hours later.

I didn't have anywhere near that amount of fear or pain with my second and third births.
#36 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 03:46 PM

I have felt pain so bad I became irrational and thought I was dying. It was menstrual cramps due to endometriosis, though - not NCB.

NCB felt more horrible, but it wasn't as pure-pain intensive and I knew we were both fine the whole time. I did not think I was dying during childbirth. I did hate it, though (the level of pain, duration, and physical sensations of transition and pushing).
#37 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 PM

I never felt that way. Labor did hurt, but not that bad. I've felt worse - leg cramps, stomach bugs, migraines; all were worse than labor for me. (And I had an 18-hour labor with what seemed like five hours of transition, it took 3.5-4 hours to push my breech baby out - but no one interfered with me or gave me evil meds like Pitocin, so things were calm and peaceful the whole time. It was the best thing I've ever done.)

I think it's different for everyone, as we can see by this thread.
#38 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
I didn't think iI was dying actually, but part of me wished I was.
This was me with my first. It was really rough and I reached a point where I didn't care if I died, I just wanted the pain to stop. It wasn't as bad with my second.
#39 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 09:52 PM

No I didint think I was dieing but I did think that the pain was so bad that it really wouldnt matter if they just cut me up and removed the baby. Only my first labor involved that kind of pain - pain that was to me unbelievable. I never knew it was possible to be in that much pain and be conscious. To this day I am still not sure if a section without analgetics could be more painful than those last hours of my first labor.
I have had two babies since - one a homebirth and one a long labor with a malpositioned (military) baby ending in transfer and section, but niether of them involved that kind of torment..

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#40 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danotoyou2 View Post
Thanks for all the perspectives. Hearing some of you describe that pain makes me weak in the knees! I can't imagine going through those painful labors.

I can only hope that my next goes as well as my last. Because hearing what you guys said makes me want to never open my legs again.
Yeah, if I would have read this before I had DS I would have stopped at the first post that said it was painful, but in hindsight, yeah it hurt reallllllly bad but it was awesome, as weird as that sounds...

you don't feel the pain forever, but you always remember the experience. I wouldn't trade my birth or the pain for anything in the world. All part of the process and I was thankful to be an active part of it.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

#41 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 PM

[QUOTE=hempmama;10567958]Yes, I thought I was dying. More specifically, I decided there could not exist a merciful God if He could allow a person to be in this much pain and not at least allow them the cooling salve of death./QUOTE]

: Exactly. I knew I wasn't dying, but I was lying on the floor of hospital waiting room, sobbing and nearly unconscious, begging God to let me die. My DD was posterior, and I had 28 hours of hellish back labor that didn't dialate my cervix so much as a millimeter. It was so much worse then I ever could have imagined, and no meditation, massage, or bathtub made any difference. It felt like being stabbed with a burning knife over and over again.

Truly, I wanted to die. But I do believe that I had an unusually bad labor, and I know for sure that I have a VERY low pain threshold. And for what it's worth, I'm going to do it all over again in about six weeks! Hopefully this baby will be positioned right and labor will go better.
#42 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 10:20 PM

it was definitely VERY VERY painful towards the end. But I had been up for over 24 hours - and had been in labor for about 20 at that point (total labor was 24 hrs). But I definitely didn't think I would die. I did think that maybe I wouldn't be able to do it medication free though - and starting really doubting why in the hell I was doing this.... I was just so so tired.... But, my doula and DH got me in the shower and it felt like HEAVEN. I stayed there about an hour - and then soon after was ready to push. And pushing didn't really hurt at all, comparitively.

So, yes, unmedicated childbirth is painful. But no, I didn't feel like I was dying. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)
#43 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
I didn't think iI was dying actually, but part of me wished I was.
:

I had a Pitocin induction too so I don't know if it aggravated the pain.
#44 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 10:37 PM

I remember needing intense counterpressure to make the pain even semi bearable, and when my birth team started to look exhausted I looked around wildly for a back up plan, and announced if they couldn't keep up the counterpressure I was going to jump out the window.
#45 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
announced if they couldn't keep up the counterpressure I was going to jump out the window.
Now I don't make a habit out of laughing at people's pain, but I'll admit I just spit water...I'm sorry......I'm glad you didn't though! (Jump out the window that is.)

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#46 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 PM

Looking back now I think it's hilarious. At the time it seemed like a totally logical back up plan. Announcing that sure rallied the troops though, everyone stopped panting on the floor and got back to work.
#47 of 54 Old 02-18-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Looking back now I think it's hilarious. At the time it seemed like a totally logical back up plan. Announcing that sure rallied the troops though, everyone stopped panting on the floor and got back to work.

With my second birth (HBAC) the worst it got was announcing to DH "I am NOT having five kids!" during transition. Then about an hour after the birth, I reversed my decision and went back to wanting five kids.

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#48 of 54 Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 AM

I had an induction and the contractions went from barely anything to excruciating in no time at all. I didn't feel like I was dying, but things went so fast I felt totally out of control.

The worst was when I had an epidural--little did I know I was in transition while it was being administered. It was horrible. When I got to push the pain was actually less. The epi never took effect, except it numbed my right leg below the knee. If I knew how soon it would have all been over, I just would have skipped the epi and dealt with the pain.

Jackie, Catholic mama to Elijah (6/07) & Gabriel (2/10) and our angel baby, m/c 7/29/12. Expecting someone new in October 2014!
#49 of 54 Old 02-19-2008, 01:55 AM

For my first and only birth so far I had a pitocin induced labor at 42 weeks with no pain meds. I never felt like I was dying or even out of control, exactly. It did hurt, A LOT, but never more than say, 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. But, my contractions were normal (i.e. not back to back), it wasn't a horribly long labor (12 hours start to finish) and the baby had a really good presentation (she came out with five pushes). So I think those things made it more manageable. And I moaned through every.single.contraction for the last nine hours: I was absolutely hoarse the next day.

I can easily imagine how if the pain I was experiencing got out of control or went on for 36 hours, that I might feel like I was dying.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#50 of 54 Old 02-19-2008, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
When I was induced with ds (my second child of four), I did feel like I wanted to die, or I might have been. I ended up with an intrathecal that was worse than the labor. Yay for natural childbirth!!!! My back labor with #4 was nothing compared to that pain.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#51 of 54 Old 02-19-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danotoyou2 View Post
I hear this quite a bit when people describe an unmedicated birth. They say the pain was so bad that they thought they were dying. Since I had a fairly pain-free birth, I'm curious...

Is it just an expression of how bad the pain was, or did you actually believe you were dying?

I've never felt pain that bad, and yet I do remember how it felt to think that I was dying (going under general anesthesia for my 'emergency' cesarean). It was terrifying.

So, thoughts?
I didn't think I was dying...it was too horribly *there* for that. I WISHED I would die though...

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#52 of 54 Old 02-19-2008, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Life, birth, death, all tied terribly close together as sensory and ephemeral experiences.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#53 of 54 Old 02-19-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
It did hurt, A LOT, but never more than say, 8 on a scale of 1 to 10.
I remember thinking, "this pain goes to 11!"
#54 of 54 Old 02-19-2008, 03:05 AM

I thought that I was dying during DD1's birth, which was the one I got the epidural for. It sucked realizing that the epidural didn't work and I was feeling this ridiculous pain I was completely unprepared for.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page