what "signs" did you *not* have before labor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to figure out if I need to wait to for all these things before I know that these contractions are actually doing something.
People who have given birth, did all of these things happen to you? (I know they can happen either hours or weeks before labor...)

Did you have:

1) diarrhea
2) nausea/vomiting
3) bloody show
4) backache
5) change in mood/frantic nesting

anything else?
(I know that not everyone's water breaks first, so I didn't include that one)

Me , him , and the two most beautiful little lovey girls in the world: 3/08 and 1/10. Planning our escape from the treadmill!
#2 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicely_m View Post
1) diarrhea
2) nausea/vomiting
3) bloody show
I got these in active labor.

I had no early labor. My water didn't break until pushing.

dd #1 11/15/07 and dd #2 unplanned and so glad the midwife was on her way!
#3 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 11:13 AM

I had a backache all day while at work, but thought nothing of it - I was nine months pregnant after all! I had no other signs or symptoms. Went to my regular midwife appointment that afternoon and learned that I had been in early labor all day, and was dilated to three. They admitted me, and DS was born ten hours later!

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#4 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 11:25 AM

I had the diarrhea and nausea/vomiting once I was in the throes of labor. I never saw any bloody show with my second (I'm assuming it came out in the water when I was in transition), and my mucus plug came out when I was 7 or 8 cm, hard in active labor with my first. No unusual backache (I was developing gallbladder problems when pg with my second, unbeknownst to me, but that's a different kind of backache, I finally realized). I didn't even really nest right before labor - it was more a few weeks beforehand. My mood did change a few days before - I was utterly convinced I would never, ever, have the baby and was in a very foul mood!

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#5 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Diarrhea was the only sign that I had.

The day before I went into labor with DD I had no signs, I didn't even have any Braxton Hicks that had been so frequent before. I took my toddler walking with some friends for a few hours that morning, then came back home and spent the rest of the day kicked back on the couch reading and napping. (In hindsight it was like anti-nesting, my body was resting up.) We went to bed around 10 pm and I told DH that I was going to be pregnant forever, that DD was never going to come.

A few hours later, just before 1 am, my cats woke me up (deliberately, and they were all lined up down the bed watching me). About 20-30 minutes later my body cleaned itself out, so I thought maybe something was going on. Maybe 45 minutes later I was in transition and then, just over 2 hours after waking up, DD was in my arms. I would never have guessed that I was going into labor that night!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#6 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
1) diarrhea
2) nausea/vomiting
3) bloody show
)
I had all these symptoms. I was in prodromal labor for 3 days and and actual labor only lasted 3 hours and 45 minutes when DD2 was born.

With DD1 I had lots of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. That labor was 42 hours.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#7 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 01:28 PM

The only sign I had was diarrhea, and a general sense of "this is it." I had no bloody show, never lost my plug, never got nauseous, my water never broke.
#8 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 01:30 PM

I have had 4 children and never had any of those symptoms at all and only 1/4 of my labours started with water breaking.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#9 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 01:48 PM

I had vague diarreah-ish bowel movements the evening before. I woke up at roughly 5 am (after going to bed at about 2 am) with a stomach ache and kept getting back up with it until I gave up at 6am. I assume that was really just contractions. I had no nausea, no bloody show, no specific back ache to my memory, and no frantic nesting.

However, I was certain that I was in labor. I also knew that I needed to get to the hospital ASAP. I had planned to labor at home and go into the hospital at the last minute. Though in the car ride there I was worried I was going in too soon, I arrived at about 8:30 am and had DD in arms 2 hours later.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#10 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 01:59 PM

I only had diarrhea because I took castor oil. NEVER. AGAIN.
No nausea/vomiting.
I think my mucous plug came out gradually, I didn't have the big gooey chunk that some women describe.
My water didn't break until I started pushing.
I went into pre-labour (for 2 or 3 hours at a time) about 10 times over the 2 weeks before I gave birth. (I was dilated to a 4 and 90% effaced before "actual" labour started).
I had a backache the whole last month or so, and back labour.
I had my membranes stripped twice, and started labour after the second time.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#11 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
1) diarrhea
2) nausea/vomiting
3) bloody show
4) backache
I didn't have any of these. The diarrhea didn't hit until I was over 7cm with ech baby, and the nausea/vomiting never came. I didn't have any bleeding until labor was well established with both babies, and no back ache at all in labor with one- the other baby was posterior, but I had no back pain until my water broke at 9cm.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#12 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had none of those things before labor or early in labor. With my first, I had nausea and I think some bloody show after I had been in labor for quite a while. With my second, I don't think I had them at all.
#13 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 04:28 PM

I had none of those at my last birth. I had bloody show but not until after I already started laboring.
#14 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 04:28 PM

I didn't realize I was really in labour the first time until I started throwing up.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#15 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 05:23 PM

[1) diarrhea
2) nausea/vomiting
3) bloody show
4) backache

[/QUOTE]

only 1 and 5, and neither of those was really severe i nest at about 37 weeks, it includes about 2 days of unbroken cooking, and that's about 4 weeks from labor for me, anyways

twice my water *did* break before labor!
#16 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 09:47 PM

None of the above. I suspected absolutely nothing, until for some reason, DH started timing DD's "kicks" and discovered they were strangely coming at 2 minute intervals. About an hour later, they were getting strong and I was quite sure I was in labour by the time I had any bloody show and nausea.
#17 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 11:20 PM

Nope, none of the above--at least, not during labor. I had diahrrea throughout my pregnancy, so that wouldn't have helped me know I was in labor, and I went through a nesting phase in the second trimester. But I knew I was in labor--my contractions woke me out of a sound sleep with excruciating force. There was no doubt they were the real thing.
#18 of 28 Old 02-24-2008, 11:54 PM

No signs at all with DS1, but with DS2 I had bloody show about 24 hours before he was born.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#19 of 28 Old 02-25-2008, 12:27 AM

Did you have:

1) diarrhea- for 2 weeks before!
2) nausea/vomiting-no, never
3) bloody show-yes, when I was in 'real' labour, and knew that I was in real labour then!
4) backache- always?
5) change in mood/frantic nesting- mmm, I was having 'pre-labour' for weeks before, and false labour a week before, so I experienced everything except the bloody show. And for the record, I was losing my mucuous plug for like 2 months, (no blood) but it just regrows.

anything else?

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#20 of 28 Old 02-25-2008, 01:31 AM

I did not have diarrhea, nausea/vomiting, or bloody show. I was a frantic nester for weeks beforehand. Never lost a huge blob of mucus plug, just a small amount here and there. I was only convinced I was in labor once my contractions came every 3-4 minutes and lasted 50-60 seconds for 4 hours.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#21 of 28 Old 02-25-2008, 12:02 PM

I didn't have any of the above signs until well into my labor... but I had prodromal labor with an OP baby. I'd already been in labor more than 24 hours when I lost my mucous plug and started having some bloody show. I remember thinking 'Oh yeah, I forgot that was a sign of labor, next time I'll wait until that happens before I even call this labor!'
#22 of 28 Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 PM

I made five (!) casseroles for the freezer and my water broke/contrax started less than 24 hours later. I"m hoping for a little bit more nesting time with this baby.
#23 of 28 Old 02-25-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out if I need to wait to for all these things before I know that these contractions are actually doing something.
People who have given birth, did all of these things happen to you? (I know they can happen either hours or weeks before labor...)

Did you have:

1) diarrhea
2) nausea/vomiting
3) bloody show
4) backache

anything else?
(I know that not everyone's water breaks first, so I didn't include that one)

Um, none of the above actually. Well when I was well into definite labor my body did clean itself out but it wasn't diarhea. I never had any nausea, no bloody show....I guess I did have a backache but that's when I was in full swing labor because I had back labor and I'm just not a nester at all lol. :

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#24 of 28 Old 02-25-2008, 02:54 PM

I didn't have any of those. The only sign I got was regular contractions.
#25 of 28 Old 02-25-2008, 03:00 PM

Nothing untill the very last hour of 8 hours of labor. Then I had 1, 2, and 4 Water didnt break untill the very end also.

24 tattooed SAHM to a silly boy born at home in the tub 1/31/07
#26 of 28 Old 02-25-2008, 04:16 PM

1) diarrhea
2) nausea/vomiting
3) bloody show
4) backache

I've laboured with three of my four.

With my first, I had a bad backache and vomiting before labour.

With my third, I had contractions before anything else, and I never did have nausea or vomiting (I didn't labour long with him before surgery, though).

With my last, I had nothing before contractions started.

I couldn't begin to pin down whether I had a change of mood with my third or fourth. In both cases, I was already in a highly charged emotional space (fighting for VBA2C with ds2 and pretty seriously post-dates with a VBA3C baby with Aaron), so I don't know if I would have noticed a change. I've never really had the nesting thing happen.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#27 of 28 Old 02-25-2008, 10:07 PM

I had loose stools and a frantic surge in energy/nesting hours before labor started with dd. Within 2 hours of the start of contractions I had show ans passed my plug.

This time with ds I had none of these signs. I started having contractions around 10pm that were every 10 min or so and they persisted and intensified throughout the night. At 3am I was convinced it was the real thing....I kept waiting for the tummy stuff and show but it never came.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#28 of 28 Old 02-26-2008, 12:28 AM

i had none of these signs before hand and only vomited once i was in active labor. was probably having contractions for several hours, but they were so mild that i ignored them. didn't realize it was "time to go" until my water broke.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page