Cesarean support circle III (moved from Finding Your Tribe) - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2003, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
welcome, Kristine-it's good to hear you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2003, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Hikaru-are you out there? I'm thinking of you!
Old 10-12-2003, 10:46 PM

hi everyone,

i'm not going to get into details of my girl's birth right now, i just wanted to ask some questions.

dd is going on 15 mos, and before we even think (i've already thought!) of having another one, i want to really educate myself on repeat c-sec and vbac. i was wondering if someone could tell me how to get my medical records of the c-sec?

i usually feel like i'd want a vbac if i did it again, but sometimes i feel like i just couldn't bear another experience like the last. it really did a number on me! i would want a happy, beautiful birth, whether by c-sec or vbac. i just want to know how my midwife documented it so i can see it for myself...

well, to all of you.

this is a great place for all of us to share our thoughts.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mamasarah-all you have to do is call and ask for copies of your records. Some people charge for them.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:36 AM

LOL!!! I come home from the hospital and you give me a great giggle...vagina, vagina, vagina.....just love that word!!

Now for my news.....I had a baby girl on October 7th and just got home from the hospital today Yes, I had a cesarian...here in Japan that means you stay in the hospital for at least a week.
I kind of panicked during the birth because they had trouble getting the spinal in and kept having to stick me again and again...but
other than that it had been soooooo much easier than my DS's birth mainly because I have more confidence, I didn't make myself
go through 34 hours of contractions before allowing them to do
the cesarian (twelve hours of dripping blood and amniotic fluid
was enough this time) and I didn't act macho about using painkillers afterwards, so I was able to really enjoy my little girl.
Nursed her on the delivery table and have been falling madly in love with her since!
Her name is Skye, she's big (8 and a half pounds and I'm only 4 foot 10), feeding well and sleeps a lot (unlike her 3 year old brother Satori who woke me up every 45 minutes when he was new...)

I type one-handed pretty well...so you'll be hearing more from me. If my posts have no capital letters or punctuation it's because I'm breastfeeding at the keyboard!
Blessings,

Hikaru
Old 10-14-2003, 10:57 AM

Hikaru--I'm glad everything went well!! I'll have to remember what you said...not acting macho about using painkiller...

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Old 10-14-2003, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations Hikaru and welcome SKYE!!!

When I didn't see you around I figured you were off having a baby somewhere! I hope you're feeling well, and am glad everything is going so smoothly.

I could so relate--the first time around everything was so difficult, now thing s just seem to flow.

Take good care, Hikaru-speedy recovery to you!

and congrats to big brother!
Old 10-14-2003, 03:10 PM

Well, I finally found you all, congrats to those of you who just had your babies

I posted in the FYT about my experiences, and how I will have all of my children via c-birth (a new term for me)

I have been told by every OBGYN and midwife that my pelvis is "abnormal" and I would never birth a baby. When I got pregnant the first time, I decided there was no harm in trying to prove them wrong and my Ob was ok with that, but then she was breech, and my OB advised me that it was not such a great idea anymore, as her body could've made it out and her shoulders and head could've been stuck, so I agreed to c-birth, and I think that was the right choice ( by the time I had her she was shoulder presentation anyway, so it wasn't really a choice.

With my son, I decided to try VBAC but in the end he was too big, and I am "abnormal" (-always knew that), so another c-birth.

Here I am planning #3.

Has anyone on here every known they would need a c-birth and chosen to go into labor first? I have decided to go into early labor then do the c-birth, I will not labor hard, as there is a risk of rupture which would only be worthwhile if there were any chance in he!! of the baby coming out that way, YK?

Anywho, I hate hearing about how "your body won't grow a baby you can't birth" and on religious boards I visit "God doesn't make women wrong". I wonder why people can't see by looking around them that people have all sorts of problems, some are born blind, others are born without legs, and on and on, why is it so hard to understand that some women are also born with pelvises that will not pass a baby through? Is that such an unbelievable concept? Seems logical to me that that would happen, although rare, as are the other thigns I mentioned. (same goes for BFing, treelove, I totally can see that there has to be some cases, or medical conditions where one would not be able to BF)

On the topic of Mothering making a place for us that was easy to find, I don't expect it, I wish it would happen, but I don't expect it, that way I won't be disappointed, and I get so much here otherwise that it is still worth coming.

Well, I think that's about it, but I would like to hear people's thoughts on my going into early labor (I live 5 minutes from the very major hospital I am delivering at), my only concern (beyond who will be with my kids when I go in if unexpectedly) is that I may not get my OB to deliver if I go this way, I may end up with whomever is on at that time:

Also, any thoughts on how to make a c-birth the best it can be?

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Old 10-14-2003, 03:17 PM

thanks ladylee for that info on the hospital records.

i just wanted to say CONGRATS! to Hikaru. what a wonderful experience it sounds like you had. very inspirational
enjoy your new peanut!
Old 10-14-2003, 03:18 PM

JESS----If I were to c/b again I would insist on going into labor first! I talked to dh about it and he agreed. I think it is a good idea. That way you know baby is ready and you still get the excitement of...THIS IS IT!!!

Old 10-14-2003, 04:07 PM

Welcome Skye!! I'm glad that things went well!!

JESS~~I agree that it is a good idea to labour first if you can....that was my biggest concern when I was presented with having a sheduled section since I was over due...I wanted to go into labour first to know that he was "ready"

Take care all,
Jen
Old 10-14-2003, 09:16 PM

I too insisted on waiting until the labor started . Unless I had a medical condition that prevented it, I think it's important for m baby to tell me when she's ready to be born.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:09 AM

It was medicaly necessary for me to c/s at 36 weeks due to my extreme placenta previa. The docs 'swore' ds would be 'ready' by that time and all would be fine. Turns out his lungs weren't developed and he had to spend 7 days in NICU
In hyndsight.....I should have insisted I be hospitalized so just in case I
went into labor I would be there and be in surgery within minutes.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Missgrl
In hyndsight.....I should have insisted I be hospitalized so just in case I
went into labor I would be there and be in surgery within minutes.
(((Missgrl))) I empathize with you....
I spent so much time "should-ing" myself after DS was born,
and it just added to my feeling of having failed.
This time, I was determined when I went to the hospital that,
no matter what happened I would have no regrets as long as I ended up with a healthy baby.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

With dd#1 I had been in labor all night. With dd#2, it was against policy to wait for labor to start-my doctor and I scheduled the date three days prior to my due date, which is much better than the 2 week or 1 week prior of other hospitals.

With dd#2 I felt very comfortable with this-it was her time.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:31 AM

Can we talk pain meds please? I had darvaset (I know I'm spelling that wrong) with both of mine, 2 pills every 4 hours. With dd I took it for 2 weeks, and with ds for one week-I still was in a lot of pain, but he was jaundiced and I needed him to wake up and eat more.

The Dr.s claim that darvaset does not make the baby sleepy, but it definitely did with my 2, I have no doubt about that, and it interferred with their nursing that they slept so much, however- it was great for the pain, really great. (also the dose I was given in actually an overdose of tylenol-pointed out by my nurse mother and my pharmacist friend, although the pharmacy filled it: )

So, what's a mama to do? Has anyone used any other pain med folloing their c-section that worked well, and didn't make the nursing baby sleepy?

I was thinking of trying an ibuprofen this time, and if it's not really as effective(for the pain), I could alternate between that and the darvaset. I don't know, I want the baby to nurse well and not sleep a crazy amount, but I do not want to be in a ton of pain either.

Thoughts?

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Old 10-16-2003, 11:58 AM

I was given ibuprofen and percocet. I took the percocet 2x in the hospital and maybe one dose when I got home. I didn't get the prescription filled for a week but I over did it one night and needed the extra. Other than that I took the ibuprofen a couple times but was pretty much pain free, but I think my incision was numb for about a month...which was fine by me!

Old 10-16-2003, 03:41 PM

i had perkoset, lortab and ibuprofen.

i took the perkoset and lortab in the hospital ...i think they were alternating them with me BUT i opted for the lowest dose ( one pill) rather than the higher dose (2 pills) cuz i was worried about ds. i also refused morphine post op.

i think this was a mistake. i was in a tremendous amount of pain and i know i would have healed (especially emotionally ) faster had my pain been less. i was exhausted from enduring pain and could barely function.

When i did up my dose, i could finally walk, but i had huge side effects of dizziness and feeling really stoned when i was on these drugs. i hated it. i think after a week i went on just Ibuprofen , 3 of them each dose, and took lortab when i was having an especially hard time with the pain.

so it seems either way there are pros and cons.

the baby WAS sleepy, but he was awake, and nursed really well.

hope this helps...

about not having regrets, someone above said "as long as they have a healthy baby" they wouldnt regret. i know what you meant, but remember that there are mamas out there who lose thier babies, and i really think those mamas did everything possivble that they should not feel personally responsible either. we all do the very best we can in these situations, hindsight is 20/20, and life is so difficult, you know? i know you didnt mean if you lost your baby or had an unhealthy one you would be more responsible for the outcome, but i just wanted to point that out...
Old 10-16-2003, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stirringleaf

about not having regrets, someone above said "as long as they have a healthy baby" they wouldnt regret. i know what you meant, but remember that there are mamas out there who lose thier babies, and i really think those mamas did everything possivble that they should not feel personally responsible either. we all do the very best we can in these situations, hindsight is 20/20, and life is so difficult, you know? i know you didnt mean if you lost your baby or had an unhealthy one you would be more responsible for the outcome, but i just wanted to point that out...
I'm the one who made the original comment and I totally agree with what youre saying. I didn't mean it to sound the way it did and I'm sorry. Thanks for pointing that out.
I've had three miscarriages (not the same as losing a full-term baby I know..I can't even imagine how painful that must be)
and you're right. A mother does NOT need to be
made to feel guilty. We didn't tell my MIL about the miscarriages because we just knew her reaction would be to ask what I had done "wrong" to cause me to lose the babies.

Birth is one of those things that isn't ultimately under our control.
WE set up the best conditions, we can and should be actively involved in the process, but even then we can't guarantee any particular type of outcome.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

11 pages-ya'll ready for a new thread?

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=92819

User Tag List