4th degree tear and scared of tearing again?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-18-2008, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a 4th degree tear with my first son, he was 8.8lbs and his hand came out beside his head, AND i was pretty much on my back pushing him with coached pushing, was not a good experience, now I am 13wks pregnant with my 2nd and hope to have a homebirth with no intervention, but just wondering if anyone else has stories of 2nd/3rd etc babies after they had a bad tear with their first? I was reading another blog type forum and almost ALL of the moms were saying their OBs wouldn't even consider vag birth due to risk of incontinence, pelvic problems etc. And I don't really believe that is true, but I just need to hear it! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-18-2008, 12:47 AM

Both my children were born at home.

With DS the midwives had me pushing before I was ready and I ended up on my back, legs held. He had a big head too. I ended up with a 4th degree tear.

I understand your concerns. I was sure I'd tear again, as badly or worse.

DD was born in the water, I was on my hands and knees and had much more control over the whole thing, and I didn't need a single stitch. I truly thank the midwives and the birthing pool for that.
#3 of 8 Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 AM

I had a fourth degree tear with my first daughter, who was 9.2. I had no complications after the delivery and healed very nicely, no bladder or bowel problems and when I got pregnant with my second daughter only 7 months later (while I was still nursing!) I asked my OB about the tearing and he said not to worry. He was right, I only had a very minor tear and my second girl was 9.8. So, don't worry too much mama about it.
#4 of 8 Old 03-18-2008, 11:53 AM

Nak - I had a 4th degree episiotomy-turned-tear with my first (only pushed for 15 minutes total, I'm not sure why the UA violation OB cut me!) I just gave birth to my second on Feb. 29, in water, and just got 2 tiny tears that didn't need stitching. HTH!
#5 of 8 Old 03-18-2008, 11:57 AM

I had a 4th degree with my first. It took a long time to heal, but after that there were no complications or bladder/bowel problems. I was terrified it would happen again with my second. So much, in fact, that when I arrived at the hospital at 9.5cm I refused to push until my doctor was there. (The nurses were trying to get me to go ahead and start pushing.) She and I had discussed at length how afraid I was about tearing again, and I only trusted her to prevent it if possible. Second baby was just a 2nd degree tear. What a world of difference that made to my recovery. I was even sitting in chairs before I left the hospital. That wasn't possible with my first!

Here's another thread about vaginal birth after a 4th degree tear. it's old, but has been revived a couple of times, and it has a lot of good info and stories. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=266955
#6 of 8 Old 03-18-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone for your encouragement that is so good to hear, i really appreciate it!
Rachel
#7 of 8 Old 03-19-2008, 12:52 AM

I second the thread linked to above... I had a 4th degree tear with my vbac and heard a lot about "once a 4th degree, always a c/s" but there are several wonderful mamas here who have had 4th degree tears and gone on to have tear free births...

I hope you have a wonderful birth! You might look into getting a pool for your homebirth and there is something called an epi-no... sort of a balloon thing designed to stretch out scar tissue in the vaginal area. Some mamas I spoke with swear by it.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#8 of 8 Old 03-19-2008, 11:19 AM

I had a hospital birth with my first. I had a fast labor and birth, and no control over pushing. My body just ejected the baby in one swoop, and I did end up with a 3rd degree tear as his shoulder caught me. It was bad enough that my fp requested the on-call OB to sew me up. I believe I tore because they tried to slow things down by putting me on my back so I would get all the antibiotics (thus working against my body), and because I ended up pushing in stirrups. However, I was still playing soccer at 6 weeks pp without any issues or problems. I healed just fine.

With my second, I chose a homebirth, and my mw said she RARELY sees bad tears... usually if stitches are even needed, it's only a couple of stitches. That time I birthed even faster, and my body again ejected the baby without any conscious direction on my part, BUT there was a natural pause between birthing his head and his shoulders. My mw arrived after his head was out, so no time for perineal support or the waterbirth I'd planned. But, my body''s rhythms were never interrupted, and I pushed on my hands and knees where I felt most comfortable. I had only a tiny tear that did not require any special treatment.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page