Group B Strep, did anyone refuse antibiotics during delivery? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 03-21-2008, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where on the CDC website would I look for those numbers? I just read a CDC article (that is a few years old) group b article saying that in the '90's,
Quote:
Before the widespread use of intrapartum antibiotics, the incidence of invasive neonatal GBS disease ranged from 2 to 3 cases per 1,000 live births. Active, population-based surveillance in selected states in 1990, when GBS prevention was still rarely implemented, projected an incidence of 1.8 cases per 1,000 live births in the United States (early-onset disease: 1.5/1,000; late-onset: 0.35/1,000)
So why would it have changed from 1.5/1000 now to 1 in 200??? Or am I misreading this article? (highly likely )

nm. I must be a numbers moron I read some other older posts about this and saw where you were talking about this and it was linked to the same article.
#32 of 50 Old 03-21-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
I might not FEEL the same about prophylactic antibiotic use. But I would still THINK the same about the actual risks involved. That's an important distinction.

Fear is a feeling. A legitimate, important feeling. It's a feeling that can save our very lives if we listen to it appropriately. But, just because *I've* had a scary experience in a particular situation, it does not translate into a general rule that *you* should follow... and vice versa.

Were my gut instinct to tell me that I and my baby should have antibiotics, I'd definitely get them. And, knowing what I know about the numbers, if I'd gone into labor before my culture came back and before term, I would have gotten antibiotics (since GBS is far more virulent for preemies in general). But no one's feeling, fear or otherwise, changes the actual statistics, and the statistics show that as a society we're taking an *enormous* risk for very little reward.
:

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
#33 of 50 Old 03-21-2008, 09:27 PM

has anyone heard of taking colloidal silver to get rid of GBS?
#34 of 50 Old 03-21-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abreakfromlife View Post
Where on the CDC website would I look for those numbers? I just read a CDC article (that is a few years old) group b article saying that in the '90's,

So why would it have changed from 1.5/1000 now to 1 in 200??? Or am I misreading this article? (highly likely )

nm. I must be a numbers moron I read some other older posts about this and saw where you were talking about this and it was linked to the same article.
The numbers you cited above are for the WHOLE population. the 1 in 200 number is the chance of transmission for a woman who has tested postive for Group B Strep via culture around the 36th week of pregnancy. Only 20-40% of the female population carries around GBS at any given time, though.

There, does that help? ;-)
#35 of 50 Old 03-22-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_2 View Post
has anyone heard of taking colloidal silver to get rid of GBS?
In my original post to this thread there was a link to holistic approaches to GBS it mentions using colloidal silver. Here. I did use it along with most of the other recommendations.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#36 of 50 Old 03-22-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
does that help? ;-)
yeah, that makes sense I printed out the whole thing and read it last night - much better than just picking out paragraphs online. I am just floored by it. I kept reading parts out loud to dh and thankfully he is 100% in agreement with me. I couldn't believe the part in talking about preterm labor that said 'giving antibiotics in labor may be associated with adverse neonatal outcomes' - so only give antibiotics where there is a significant risk for preterm delivery..................and yet a page or two before it says that giving antibiotics increases penicillin-resistant e. coli in preterm babies.

It is just so frustrating that this kind of stuff is so hidden and unknown unless you really go digging for it. I've been fairly natural for a few years now, and have really gotten a lot more serious about it over the past year, and I still don't know much when it comes to naturally giving birth. This is my 5th pregnancy and I am so irritated at how the previous ones have been handled. I've been reading a bunch of back posts on here the past couple of days, gearing up for labor, and I had NO IDEA you could refuse to have your water broken, or that it is unnecessary!! Or that you don't need fifty million vag. exams, or that you could refuse abx..........I just assumed having a midwife guaranteed a 'normal' labor....And it's so irritating that this stuff isn't mainstream knowledge and it should be. It's annoying having people look at you like you're crazy for not getting an epi, or not getting abx or thinking the only bad thing about Pit is the pain......
#37 of 50 Old 03-24-2008, 07:05 PM

I tested GBS+, so I'm planning on using the antibacterial rinse chlorhexidine gluconate (0.05%), called 'hibidil' here in Canada. So, how do I go about using it? I assume I have to dilute it? And do a rinse every 7 hours when I'm in labour? Even after my waters break? Should I do any rinses before I go into labour?
Thanks!!!
#38 of 50 Old 03-24-2008, 07:41 PM

I did some herbal/supplemental things to try to reduce my risk of testing +.

I tested +.

After looking at all the research I could find, I declined ABX.

I would have taken the ABX if I had had prolonged rupture of membranes, or a fever.

As it was, I was only in labor for 6 hours total and there would not have been time to initiate the protocol even had I rushed somewhere or had my MW rush to me as soon as my water broke (which started labor).

Babe was healthy and fine.

I'm glad I did the herbal/supplemental stuff even though it didn't kill the germs, because I felt it did some other nice things (for my iron levels, general feeling of wellbeing, etc.)

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#39 of 50 Old 03-24-2008, 08:16 PM

I can't say my doing the herbals really helped with the GBS cause DS was born 3 weeks after being originally tested. I could have been - by then and my water was broken for only 25 minutes. But it did boost my immune system so that can't hurt.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#40 of 50 Old 03-25-2008, 03:20 PM

I tested postitive with my twins. I had the antibiotics. The only trouble we had was that I am allergic to penicillan so they gave me a different med to prevent any allergic reactions. I found another abx that I am allergic to.

I looked at the data, researched and made a decision that I was comfortable with and that I believed was in the best interest of myself and my babes.

There is no such thing as a risk free pregnancy, labor and birth. All you can do is educate yourself and decide which set of risks you feel most comfortable taking. It's very individual.

:
#41 of 50 Old 04-30-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I asked my Dr to test me again at week 38 1/2 and am happy to report that I tested negative! I am very happy b/c I really didn't want to have the antibiotics nor did I want my son to be born with them in his system.
I ate tons of garlic!!! raw & roasted. I also ate 2 grapefruits a day as well as about 3-5 oranges a day. I usually eat a few servings a day of yogurt so I kept that the same and added Kefir drink ( probiotics). I am currently 40 + 4 days so I have been keeping the same diet until the birth, so it doesn't come back.

anyway,
thanks for all your help.
love,
Michelle
#42 of 50 Old 05-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Congrats for testing negative!

I am snuggling my nearly 4 month old son who was born healthy and remained healthy despite me being GBS+ during my pregnancy. I refused IV abx and used a Hibiclens (chlorhexidine) solution in a vaginal wash. I did a wash (basically a douche) 3x during the 3 days that I was in slow labor and with the 3rd about 7 hours before my son was born. The mix I did was about 5-10 tablespoons to 2 pints water, with a stronger solution externally. I would take baths to help with the ctrx and when I was ready to get out, I did the washes. Easy, even when I was in labor.

I like the fact that not only does the chlorhexidine kill off the GBS, but E. coli as well, while still leaving the natural vaginal flora in place, the chance for thrush/yeast infection is decreased compared to IV abx, and that we wouldn't be risking an allergic reaction to penicillan/other abx.

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
#43 of 50 Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I refuse GBS testing specifically because I would not get the antibiotics if positive.

-Angela

Same here.
#44 of 50 Old 05-01-2008, 11:31 PM

I declined testing with DS and will do it again, and would not take the ABX if positive.

Glad to hear you had a negative test.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#45 of 50 Old 05-02-2008, 07:53 PM

I spent hours and hours reading and worrying about GBS. I tested positive early in my pregnancy and planned to have a homebirth. In the end I decided to treat only if I needed to. I would have went to the hospital to get the ABX had any of the risk factors been present:
1. Labor before 37 weeks.
2. Prolonged rupture of membranes (>12 hours).
3. Fever during labor.
My previous labors were 4-5 hours, so I felt relatively confident I would have another quick labor which would reduce her risk of exposure. My water did break prematurely but luckily contractions started a half hour later and DD@ was born 5 hours later.
It was a difficult decision to make. I realized that I could potentially hold my child's fate in my hands and it's a scary feeling. But it surely won't be the last time I'll have to make a decision that may lead to serious consequences.

Mother to DD (9) DS (6) DD (3)
#46 of 50 Old 05-03-2008, 04:59 AM

From the persepective of a health care provider, it's ok to not do the test, but it's legally indefensible to deliberately not treat a positive. I have chosen to not treat based on a mom pushing when I got to her house, but otherwise, I tell my clients that we can't not treat a positive.

On the other hand, a negative result is a very good thing, because then we don't have to start antibiotics EVEN IF her water is broken for 18 hours-just if there are clinical signs of infection.

I'm saying to not revile the HCPs that threaten to fire patients for refusing gbs treatment. Asking us to comply with not treating a positive result is professionally irresponsible of us.
#47 of 50 Old 05-03-2008, 10:59 AM

The CDC recommendations are to offer intrapartum IV antibiotics to GBS positive moms. I would consider it 100% legally defensible if they're offered and refused. We still have rights in this country.

In Tennessee, the law says every HCP must follow the CDC guidelines regarding GBS, which call for universal screening. In this case, it would be against the law to not test. But in keeping with those very guidelines, antibiotics are offered, not forced.
#48 of 50 Old 05-03-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengacnm View Post
From the persepective of a health care provider, it's ok to not do the test, but it's legally indefensible to deliberately not treat a positive. I have chosen to not treat based on a mom pushing when I got to her house, but otherwise, I tell my clients that we can't not treat a positive.

On the other hand, a negative result is a very good thing, because then we don't have to start antibiotics EVEN IF her water is broken for 18 hours-just if there are clinical signs of infection.

I'm saying to not revile the HCPs that threaten to fire patients for refusing gbs treatment. Asking us to comply with not treating a positive result is professionally irresponsible of us.

Wow- no informed consent or anything? I would NEVER hire a care provider who thought it was okay to force anything. There ARE actual risks to be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post
The CDC recommendations are to offer intrapartum IV antibiotics to GBS positive moms. I would consider it 100% legally defensible if they're offered and refused. We still have rights in this country.

In Tennessee, the law says every HCP must follow the CDC guidelines regarding GBS, which call for universal screening. In this case, it would be against the law to not test. But in keeping with those very guidelines, antibiotics are offered, not forced.
Bolding mine. Clearly not all care providers agree

Thank you.

-Angela
#49 of 50 Old 05-03-2008, 05:10 PM

Getting a GBS- at 37 weeks is no guarantee that the GBS will not be present at the time of labor. I would consider myself as permanently GBS+ if I had gotten a positive.

Mother to DD (9) DS (6) DD (3)
#50 of 50 Old 05-03-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaM View Post
Getting a GBS- at 37 weeks is no guarantee that the GBS will not be present at the time of labor. I would consider myself as permanently GBS+ if I had gotten a positive.
Getting a GBS- at ANY time is no guarantee that GBS will not be present at the time of labor, which is one of oh-so-many reasons I consider across the board testing absurd.

-Angela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page