healing the perineum - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi there!

so, i'm 4.5 months pp and well, my vagina and perineum just don't feel *normal*. I feel like I don't knwo what normal is anymore. There is a flap now, and a gap now (I jokingly call it my flap n gap instead of my perineum ) but all joking aside.... does it get back to normal? how long does it take? i feel like my vagina is a stranger to me now, when we were so close before. I don't even want to touch her....

I do kegels everyday, religiously. I do yoga, all the stretches, massage etc.

anything else I can do other than wait? any one else experience this?
#2 of 3 Old 04-02-2008, 05:08 PM

Heyla!

Did you have a tear or cut? Any specific trauma to the area? Or just plain old good fashioned "baby noggin" pushing it's way out? If you did have some tissue trauma it can take a while to heal...

I had a 4th degree tear so I've been very interested in healing! Between my wonderful alternative OB care providers, the knowledgable women here, and some IRL mamas who have healed from 3rd and 4th degree tears/cuts I put together a pretty big list.

The highlights are:
--eat a really good, balanced diet with plenty of good fats and more protein than normal. This helps tissue repair.
--stay hydrated
--sitz baths are good even after tissue has begun healing...the heat promotes blood flow (good for healing) and you can add herbal blends for extra "oomph". You can get as fancy as you like with the herbal blends, or stay pretty basic with epsom salts/sea salt or ginger or comfrey.
--massage the whole perineum with vitamin e oil, or olive oil. This can improve blood flow (so again, good for healing), break up adhesions and desensitize any scars, get funky nerve connections sorted out a bit, and is a good way to re-connect with a part of your body that's been through a lot and could use a little love.

One thing my OBs push is the need to re-integrate the vaginal area after birth, especially if there has been any tearing or other birth trauma. They feel that if there is trauma the body can sort of "shuts down" the vaginal area as a sort of self preservation. They suggest things like belly dance or gentle yoga (kundalini, svaroopa) to help re-integrate the pelvic area. These exercises improve blood flow, stretch the muscles while strengthening them, and most importantly allow you to focus on that part of your body in a positive/healthy/feels good/sexy/whole manner.

I hope you heal quickly and fully!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#3 of 3 Old 04-07-2008, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

I tore. second degree,but many things about healing weren't communicated to me (maybe they sounded obvious), like keeping your legs closed after the trauma, taking sitz baths etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into those yogas/dancing etc.

speedy healing for you too momma!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page