used to feel homebirth was best... but not anymore - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:25 AM
 
aprilgurlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Having been through severe PPD myself, I know just how illogical it can make a person.
Now now, would you be suggesting that she is illogical due to PPD if she were a homebirth supporter instead? ................just saying.........be nice people! :

April 5th grade teacher and wife to hubby Justin : is expecting her first in April 2010!! Finally!!:
aprilgurlie is offline  
#122 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:27 AM
 
prothyraia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Borean Tundra
Posts: 2,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post
but my OP was to point out that please be *aware* by reading about a personal experience that there are some things you have a much greater chance of surviving in a hospital. ...

if you chose HB with a fully open brain, knowing why you chose this, knowing all the issues on the table, then it's a conscious choice.

choosing HB because of 'studies that "show" HB is safer" ... is another matter.
I think the problem is that you see those two things as contradictory. They're not. Homebirth can be as safe/safer than hospital birth overall AND there can be some things that you have a greater chance of surviving in a hospital. Yes, there are things that can happen without warning and result in death at home, where if you were in a hospital there would be at least a chance at life. When you planned your homebirth, was that not something you thought about?

My understanding of how hospitals work, and the available evidence and studies, leads me to believe that in the real world of real hospitals, the chance of a catastrophic event resulting in a homebirth death is not any higher than the chance of dying during childbirth in a hospital.

I can understand your perspective. If something happens to you, statistics don't mean anything. You were safer in the hospital. If you were still at home, you believe there's 100% chance that you would have died. But that doesn't mean that somehow hospital birth is always safer than homebirth, or that if all homebirthers choose to birth in the hospital instead that there would be fewer deaths. You can't generalize from one person's extremely rare experience, or we could all start making plans based on winning the lottery.
prothyraia is offline  
#123 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:27 AM
 
ColoradoMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: mooning TAO
Posts: 10,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post
i'm writing this - and it's been very difficult to write it, i'm still suffering from the effects of this birth and i hate to say what i feel i should say about homebirth but having been so close to death i am not the person i was and so aware of how such an event can happen to anyone. i suppose i'm trying to say look beyond the statistics of 'what is safe in 99% of cases' and think would you be comfortable with the consequences on you or your family if that 1% chance happens to you.
Here's the problem with this kind of thinking: yes, there is a 1% chance that something will happen that will be horribly dangerous at home. I could choose to go to a hospital, but then I will up my chance exponentially that something horrible will happen. I've had two hospital births - they were pretty uneventful comparatively. However, I have seen how quickly something minor can be blown out of proportion at a hospital. I've had to live with those consequences, and the guilt is horrible. I'd rather take my 99% that everything will turn out great at home.

I'm sure someone else has said something similar, but I don't have time to read everything! And no, I think you should be able to express your opinion even if others disagree with it. I'm sorry you had such a scary experience, and I'm glad you came through it okay. I'm very glad you listened to your intuition.
ColoradoMama is offline  
#124 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:29 AM
 
aprilgurlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
No one has attacked you. Disagreement does not equal attacks.
Calling her view a "scare tactic" is a little agressive though? :

April 5th grade teacher and wife to hubby Justin : is expecting her first in April 2010!! Finally!!:
aprilgurlie is offline  
#125 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:31 AM
 
Aura_Kitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Down by the River...
Posts: 7,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh also since someone, probably pannacotta, asked for sources ~ I highly recommend going to a library (preferably a University library) and browsing their section on childbirth in the 1800's through 1960's. Look for Michel Odent, look for Dr. Grantley Dick-Read. Look for Ina May Gaskin (also featured in this month's Mothering ). Look for Jeannine Parvati-Baker. Look for books about women's conditions of home and family / childbirth in the 1850's through 1950's. Read until your eyes are bloodshot.

There is so much evidence out there that hospital birth is just not as safe as delivering at home and on your own terms, at present and historically, and the reasons behind this.
Aura_Kitten is offline  
#126 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:31 AM
 
the_lissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 13,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know. Scare tactic is neutral. It is not an attack. I think disregarding the safety of home births because of the off chance that something can happen when being at the hospital can be just as likely to cause a problem is a scare tactic.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

the_lissa is offline  
#127 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Banned
 
ThreeBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every woman has to decide for herself where and how she is most comfortable birthing. Insisting that everyone birth just like you, despite the preponderance of evidence to the contrary, is not logical. I think the OP is coming from a place of fear, depression, and grief and I hope she heals soon.
ThreeBeans is offline  
#128 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:32 AM
 
the_lissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 13,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Every woman has to decide for herself where and how she is most comfortable birthing. Insisting that everyone birth just like you, despite the preponderance of evidence to the contrary, is not logical. I think the OP is coming from a place of fear, depression, and grief and I hope she heals soon.
ITA.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

the_lissa is offline  
#129 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:33 AM
 
DoomaYula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgurlie View Post
would you be suggesting that she is illogical due to PPD if she were a homebirth supporter instead?
It's not the homebirth vs hospital birth that is making the OP illogical. PPD can occur after birth, no matter where that birth takes place.

The op's idea that she would have died at home = everyone belongs in a hospital for birth -- AND the idea that hospitals will take birth plans and laboring mothers seriously, or that we need a complete system overhaul -- is what makes the op illogical.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
DoomaYula is offline  
#130 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:34 AM
 
erin_brycesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sorry if any of this is a repeat as I don't have time to read all of the pages of responses right now but I really want to respond while I'm going off my first impression.

I'm not angry at you at all *BUT*

your
post
makes
absolutely
no
sense
to
me
at
all.
at.
all.

First of all, you are expressing realistic concerns about risks associated with homebirth in one hand and completely ignoring the risks associated with hospital birth in the other hand. For every one mother/baby that is saved because she chose hospital birth, another mother/baby will die because she chose hospital birth. Bottom line - some babies born at home would have been better off born at the hospital. Some babies born at the hospital would have been better off at home. And on to top of that, there are additional risks beyond mortality associated with hospital birth so even if a mother/baby does not die, the mother/baby have higher risk for experiencing some traumatic events at the hospital and that counts for something too. You can't just ignore that which you clearly have done in your OP.

Second of all, you showed one of the prime examples of why homebirth is so safe. Women are much more easily able to follow their own instincts without interference and they are much more likely to realize when there is a problem. Which you did. Hospital transfer is a very realistic option in almost all homebirths but transfering from hospital to home once they have imposed unnecessary risks upon you and your baby is almost impossible.

Third...name one single thing that would have been different about your birth had you chosen planned hospital birth? This is the most baffling part of your entire post. Maybe what you really think is that planning a homebirth and staying at home even when a problem arises is less safe than choosing hospital birth from the get go. Did I get that right?
erin_brycesmom is offline  
#131 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:37 AM
 
almadianna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: *clicks heels* There is no place like Stockholm
Posts: 6,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am glad that you posted since it seems that you needed it. however your feelings seem to be based on your obviously traumatic experience and you are sort of blinded by it to the realities of childbirth.
i hope you find peace and are able to heal and one day see this without the blinders of fear.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

 
 

almadianna is offline  
#132 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:39 AM
 
erin_brycesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh also since someone, probably pannacotta, asked for sources ~ I highly recommend going to a library (preferably a University library) and browsing their section on childbirth in the 1800's through 1960's.
The following books were recommended to me and now I recommend them to others. I don't think it is possible to think the same way about hospital birth after reading them:

From Midwives to Medicine: The Birth of American Gynecology
by Deborah Kuhn McGregor, Rutgers University Press, 1998

Lying In: A History of Childbirth in America, by Dorothy Wertz and Robert Wertz, Yale University Press, 1977

Brought to Bed: Childbearing in America 1750-1950, by Judith Walzer Leavitt, Oxford University Press, 1998

Birth as an American Rite of Passage, by Robbie Floyd-Davis, Uni. of California Press, 2nd. ed. 2004
erin_brycesmom is offline  
#133 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:41 AM
 
almadianna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: *clicks heels* There is no place like Stockholm
Posts: 6,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Every woman has to decide for herself where and how she is most comfortable birthing. Insisting that everyone birth just like you, despite the preponderance of evidence to the contrary, is not logical. I think the OP is coming from a place of fear, depression, and grief and I hope she heals soon.
you said it much better than i.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

 
 

almadianna is offline  
#134 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:46 AM
 
georgia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: tl;dr
Posts: 25,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks to those who are trying to keep this discussion friendly

Please remember the User Agreement reminds us that:

Quote:
Our discussions concern the real world of mothering and are first and foremost, for support, information, and community. Mothering invites you to read and participate in the discussions. In doing so we ask that you agree to respect and uphold the integrity of this community. Through your direct or indirect participation here you agree to make a personal effort to maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere for our guests and members.
Let's be cautious to avoid posts that could be considered:

Quote:
disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
Thanks

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!
 
georgia is offline  
#135 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:50 AM
 
aprilgurlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I doubt that she will be posting anymore, since when she did share her feelings on the topic, she got pounced on. Whether you were all just "disagreeing" or not, having so many people refute your feelings at once just deflates a person.

I think that when anyone's freedom to speak feels inhibited because of something like this, it is a tiny tragedy all in it's own. You all have good reasons for disagreeing. But can you understand that the way you say it can seem like an attack?

I have no beef with any of you here. I would just love to see MDC a little more open to differing opinions, as I said in an earlier post. Let us tread lightly with our words.

Peace out everyone, I am goin to bed!!

April 5th grade teacher and wife to hubby Justin : is expecting her first in April 2010!! Finally!!:
aprilgurlie is offline  
#136 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:52 AM
 
DoomaYula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgurlie View Post
I think that when anyone's freedom to speak feels inhibited because of something like this, it is a tiny tragedy all in it's own.
Isn't EVERYONE entitled to their own opinion? Or only the dissenting opinion?

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
DoomaYula is offline  
#137 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:56 AM
 
irony_optional's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel pretty lucky to live in a town where I can have a midwife-attended birth, complete with birthing ball, birthing chair, whirlpool, and whatever experience I want... and yet have it in a hospital.

I'm a first-time mother over 40, and there's no way I would want to do this at home, 15 minutes or so from a hospital. I have friends who have done home births and many women in my family have done home births (due to poverty, not preference). Only one ended up in the hospital, as she had seizures during the birth. So it isn't that I don't know about it, or that it can be safe. However, none of them were my age at a first birth, and the women in my family didn't actually have a choice.

I'm glad I can choose the type of birth I want, but with a SWAT team there, just in case.

To the OP, I hope your recovery goes smoothly. It sounds like you had quite a rough time.
irony_optional is offline  
#138 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 12:56 AM
 
applejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: hunting the wild aebelskiever
Posts: 18,628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
This is the birth forum.

There are very few places in the world and on the net where a mother can speak positive things about homebirth.

I hope the OP rests and recovers from her traumatic birth. Having a baby is a joy but it can be traumatic also, and all mothers need to know that each birth is what it is and grow in life from the experience it is.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
applejuice is offline  
#139 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Banned
 
ThreeBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I should add that I have in fact had a hospital birth that saved my life and that of my child.

I have also had a hospital birth that needlessly endangered the life of another child.

And I have had a beautiful, peaceful homebirth.

So I have a broad range of experiences from which to draw my own conclusions
ThreeBeans is offline  
#140 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 01:07 AM
 
Ladybyrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post
but i'm also meeting a wall of silence, of 'we don't want to consider anything different from what we believe' which i frankly didn't expect from MC.
Well, no. It's not a matter of not considering anything we don't believe, it's that you haven't provided any facts to back up your "belief" of what is safer. The beliefs that "we" are unwilling to give up are based solidly in facts and research.


Quote:
i'm hearing that 'if i bleed i'll go to the hospital' , (what if no time)
I was in a situation where there was "no time." I was bleeding, but internally, and I didn't know it. We high-tailed it to the hospital, and my son was born dead but resuscitated. My being in the hospital beforehand is a moot issue, because I was only 32 weeks pregnant. I was at home. It was a dire, sudden, and unexpected emergency, yet transferring to the hospital from home (and not via ambulance, BTW) did not kill me. The number of emergencies that occur during prenancy and/or childbirth that require intervention within a few minutes are so small as to be statistically insignificant. I think that's why you're getting so much feedback about this.



Quote:
i'm going to stop now, this is getting upsetting as it's veered into attacks.
I'm sorry you're upset by this, but I haven't seen a single post attacking you. Sometimes when you're so emotionally invested in something, the discussion can seem a little personal.
Ladybyrd is offline  
#141 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 01:10 AM
 
yamilee21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
This post seemed as if it was the attempting to process her traumatic birth, as she has every right to. however, the more you (OP) post, the more I am beginning to believe you are actually trying to convince other mothers that your view of hospital birth is not seriously flawed, which it is. ...
Exactly; yes, the OP's experience was terrible, yes, thank goodness she was in a hospital where such a situation could be handled appropriately and good for her if she feels safest birthing in a hospital; that is her choice. But many of us do not feel safer birthing in hospitals, many of us have experience abuse and assault in hospitals, and there isn't anything the OP can write that will convince us to willingly seek out hospital births, unless we truly feel our lives or those of our babies are at risk.

For everyone like the OP who was saved in a hospital; there is someone like Tanyka Brydson, who, along with one of her babies, perhaps might be alive today if she hadn't been in a hospital. (Jennifer Block, Pushed, p.118)
yamilee21 is offline  
#142 of 246 Old 04-06-2008, 01:20 AM
 
ananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post
ok let me ask something i've been thinking about..

if such a place - totally homebirth like place - existed *within* a hospital (same floor as regular L&D), staffed by midwives, with tubs, showers, soft lighting, family members allowed, birth balls, massage, music, no compulsory limits on stages of labor, no 'routine ivs' no ban on food and drink etc ..whatever you would have at homebirth you have it here..just not in the 4 walls of your home

would you birth there?
Nope. I would stay at home. I don't believe women should have to transfer somewhere at such a time. I believe it truly hinders the birth process. We see it all the time. Woman's contraction starts up, she goes to the hospital, labor completely stalls, they have to start pit, labor doesn't go anywhere, they section her. I think the stress of moving is a huge reason why labor stalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

That being said, you planned on a homebirth, listened to your body, and knew you needed medical intervention. That does not mean homebirth is unsafe. It means that for this particular pregnancy YOU needed a hospital birth.
Exactly- and really, that's what homebirth is all about. Listening to your body. Knowing when something is off and you need to seek attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post
My problem with your argument is that it assumes you can go to a hospital, decline interventions, and have a normal birth. That's not always how it works, even in a very supportive hospital environment.
s I don't think normal birth EVER happens in a hospital. Natural, yes. Normal, never. Normal does not involve signing papers.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

ananas is offline  
#143 of 246 Old 04-08-2008, 03:34 PM
 
georgia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: tl;dr
Posts: 25,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have removed posts that were in violation of the User Agreement or referenced or quoted posts that were in violation. Please note that the UA asks that we:

Quote:
Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
and

Quote:
Do not post to a thread to take direct issue with a member. If you feel a member has posted or behaved inappropriately in a discussion, communicate directly with the member, moderator or administrator privately and refrain from potentially defaming discussion in a thread.
Please keep in mind MDC's focus:

Quote:
Mothering.com is the website of natural family living and advocates natural solutions to parenting challenges. We host discussion of nighttime parenting, loving discipline, natural birth, homebirth, successful breastfeeding, alternative and complementary home remedies, informed consent, and many other topics from a natural point of view.
Please PM me, Arwyn or courtenay_e with any questions. Thanks

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!
 
georgia is offline  
#144 of 246 Old 04-08-2008, 04:39 PM
 
carriebft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got through reading this whole thread and I feel like the OP really is thinking too "one size fits all". In the hospitals around here, you have almost a 50% chance of receiving major abdominal surgery just by being a maternity patient. The water isn't strange in this area; we aren't alien or different than other women. But we have had some birth injury cases won and hospitals have reacted in a big way.

I feel the OP is saying I should still go to the hospital because it's safer, because SHE changed her mind, because she feels this or that....

but that won't change the way hospitals are here.


And the OP seems to be saying, at times, that if I get a horrible infection at a hospital or a complication from an unecessary C-section or the like...I will feel better than I would have if something horrible happened at home. I feel that is projecting feelings on to other people. Not everyone thinks this way. I sure don't.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
carriebft is offline  
#145 of 246 Old 04-08-2008, 05:40 PM
 
tireesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As far as I am concerned, I believe the following:

Some mums are better off at hospital, even if low risk, because their fear will cause problems with the birth and for the same reason, some mums will be better off at home. I cannot imagine (well, actually, having done it I can) birthing somewhere that causes you fear. Hang on though, my fear wasn't so bad then, if someone forced me to birth in hospital now, I don't think I would make it through labour lol........

Some babies are going to be better off at hospital, some at home. You can predict some, others you can't.

Unfortunutely, when we get pregnant, we all take a risk that something may go wrong, that maybe we may not make it through or that maybe our babies may not make it, however, bad things can happen no matter where you are and I am prepared to take the risks and have another home birth. I am not prepared to take the risks of a hospital birth UNLESS it is deemed as absolutely necessary.

The important thing with birth is the word CHOICE. We all should have the right to birth CHOICE. If we feel capable of giving birth at home theen we should be allowed whether other people think it unsafe or not and we should be allowed to birth in hospital if we think tthat is best. No one should be made to feel bad for their decision.

As it so happens, in dire situations, their are emergency situations for bleeds etc, I shudder at the thought of them but I am happy in the knowledge, that if I were to have a bleed, that my MW has training to deal with it, no matter how painful it would be for me (and being prone to bleeds it is something I have to be aware of).
tireesix is offline  
#146 of 246 Old 04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgurlie View Post
My husband and I are TTC, and the way people on here talk about it, hospitals are the devil. It makes me feel like if I don't choose homebirth in the future I am a wuss, or am not doing what's best. I think every mom deserves to feel good about her birthing choice.
May I just say that when I had my first, in 1993, I had no idea homebirth was still done at all, and midwifery was not legal in my province. I did the expected thing - got care with my family physician, laboured at home for a while, then went into the hospital. I didn't feel good about it at all. It was a horrible experience, and I've been unable to enter that hospital for any reason since, without feeling edgy (I've been there for two more sections, as a blood donor, to visit other babies, to visit friends and relatives, etc. etc. etc.). I think that where many homebirth advocates are coming from is a realization that you may well go to the hospital for all the right reasons...and still not feel good about your birthing choice.

I had my first three in the hospital. I tried for a homebirth with my third. I eventually transferred, and just knowing I was going to the hospital brought me down from a long labour high. I put it off as long as I reasonably could (my transfer was non-emergency) because of fear of being in the hospital...that fear came from my experiences there. The first time I walked in, I was excited and happy and eagerly anticipating meeting my baby...then I discovered the "woman in labour has no brains and no rights and is basically a piece of meat" phenomenon.

I can't reasonably go for a homebirth next time, for various reasons, and the fact that I basically have to have my next baby in a hospital, by section, is the only reason I have any reservations about getting pregnant again...the only one. None of this comes from some other women defining my birth - I don't feel good about what's happened to me in the hospital.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#147 of 246 Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 PM
 
PassionateWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If anyone reads this ONE thread and decides against homebirth, then I for one will be glad for them...b/c there is no factual support given here for a case against homebirth..and if someone can't research more than this, then yes, they do need that SWAT team.

I am 40 this month and having a homebirth in the fall. I have read more than I probably needed to and have made an educated decision for myself..which is what everyone should do. Don't take MY word for it..or the OP's...read the studies...read the risks. I know that my chances of a hospital birth will end up one way and one way only, in a repeat c/s..and they were refer to it as an elective c/s also, even though no hospital around here will give me a choice.

My only hope for every woman is that she research all the issues..and read some of the books and resources here. Unless you do that, then yes...the hospital is probably safer for you b/c in order to have a homebirth, I do believe you need to be knowledgeable about some risks.

I wish everyone a safe birth.
PassionateWriter is offline  
#148 of 246 Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 PM
 
kittywitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Room of Requirement
Posts: 13,493
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgurlie View Post
Well, I doubt that she will be posting anymore, since when she did share her feelings on the topic, she got pounced on. Whether you were all just "disagreeing" or not, having so many people refute your feelings at once just deflates a person.

I think that when anyone's freedom to speak feels inhibited because of something like this, it is a tiny tragedy all in it's own. You all have good reasons for disagreeing. But can you understand that the way you say it can seem like an attack?

I have no beef with any of you here. I would just love to see MDC a little more open to differing opinions, as I said in an earlier post. Let us tread lightly with our words.

Peace out everyone, I am goin to bed!!
It is open. But when homebirthers are told that they don't have a half open brain, things won't stay nice.

Trying to stay in the UA here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post
Hospital proponents, in general, believe that if we just do enough, interfere enough, sacrifice our babies' health and our mental wellbeing, our breastfeeding relationships, our power and autonomy, we can have a guarantee

I don't think being in a hospital reduces your risk to 0, nothing can.

I do agree that hospitals cause a lot of problems and that there are some bad bad ones that start talking about court orders and the like.

I do agree that inherently there are risks of infection, of not being listened to of emotional trauma etc in a hospital. We're on the same page about that, but it would also be dishonest of me to to stay quiet on this topic having changed my mind on the safety of homebirths. Just as I talked about how I felt home was the best place before I had the baby, now it's my responsibility to talk about how I no longer feel that. And I feel I'm betraying a sisterhood here. I really do.

Perhaps another approach would be for us who choose hospitals but want intervention free births to sign a waiver on admission, saying essentially we take responsibility for our choices and will not sue you. Then the hospital wouldn't feel they have to throw that 'protective net' (actually it isn't) of interventions at you.

None of us know what it's like to die. But this felt very close and it comes to me in dreams (and sometimes awake) all the time. (I'm dealing with PTSD obviously..)

The sadness I feel when I have these dreams, the sadness at seeing DH face as he contemplates a life without me and with an infant son is making me cry even now. I cannot responsibly choose to be without that safety net, even if it means I have to fight (a smallprice to pay) a little to have things my way in a hospital.

I don't want to be trite and say you can't understand unless you've been this close to death, and sadly I'm sure some of you have had experiences like this, but it's not something I can put in words very well so forgive me for not being very eloquent on this.
But I have. I had a severe pph with baby #2 and after I went into shock, had my placenta ripped out, had a seizure in front of my entire family, and the highest my bp was for 3 days was 60/30. At a hospital birth because of my induction. I almost died. That experience made me never want to step foot in that hospital again and I worked there! With my 4th, I had a pph and after an hour of working on it, we called an ambulance. They didn't do anything to help me for 2 hours after I was there. Which I must say is 4 hours sooner than they dealt with it with my ds (#2-when I had the pph in the hospital). So I honestly believe that my transfer gave me better care than being an inpatient. Not to mention I wasn't forced into an unnecessary c-section or cut against my will.

I would never sign a waiver against lawsuits. Sorry but if they mess up, check out Fyrestorm's birth story for example, they should be able to face reprecussions.

And yes, some people know what it's like to die. My mom coded for 2 minutes after an ectopic pregnancy. So yes, let's noone here be trite and assume we know where everyone is coming from. I was close to death after ds' birth and I would never birth in a hospital again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post
Out of interest.. has anyone raised the threat of suing while a nurse/doc was doing something they asked not to be done?

As in 'i'll cut an episiotomy now'

No you do not have my permission. I will sue you if you proceed. We are filming this.

has that worked for anyone?
With my first, they threatened c-sec and episiotomy over and over. I had other docs opinions repeatedly tell them it's unnecessary. During pushing, they tried to force me and I told them that they would NOT cut me. Luckily that hit my fight or flight instinct and baby finally popped out after 3 hours of pushing. They also knew me professionally and knew that if they cut me against my will that I would jump out of those stirrups so quick they'd better run now.

I have mentioned many times to doctors that I in fact have medical experience and I have a family full of lawyers (at least on my sdad's side!) and that I'm sure they would agree with me that a c-section is not necessary. Unfortunately they continued to try to force me so I took my care out of their hands. And most hospitals will not let you film anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
That reason would be soap and hot water, NOT hospital births. Good gracious.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post
i'll try to address your point arwyn as best i can.

some women die because of hospital mistakes. agreed. but if you educate yourselves you can catch many of those before they happen. of course you could touch a door handle going in and get mrsa in a cut and get very sick, but that could of course happen at the mall too.

if someone puts the wrong fluid in an IV while you're having surgery there's not much you can do about it. you can't prevent all hospital mistakes.
Educating yourself has little to nothing to do with it. WHat about the high number of non-English speaking or illiterate people in the USA? And you are much more likely to get MRSA at the hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post
If someone cuts you despite you saying 'no' that's awful and would anger me greatly to say the least. but i'd rather that happen and be somewhere that saves me if i go into cardiac arrest, than be home and not be savable.
Obviously you have never been cut against your will. Or suffered from mishandling by medical personnel.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post
in the case of hospitals killing someone by mistake, when that person would have been fine at home, sure that happens. i don't know how often (that would be an interesting stat) and yes that person would have been better off at home.
Yet again look at the stats on medical malpractice deaths. I already supplied the link.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post
do we know whether hospitals KILL (actually result in death, not just a relatively minor procedure done against will) more people or whether birthing at home results in more deaths that would have been preventable? i do not know.
But we do. There is evidence and years of research to support it that you are unwilling to read or believe. I know you had a traumatic experience. It can be hard in those months or years after you have one. You question everything and sometimes make harsh decisions. But that gives you no right to refuse someone else's right to a homebirth or try to scare them with antecdotes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post

but i strongly feel that you can educate yourself enough to catch most potential mistakes or dangers in hospital (not all, for instance you wouldn't know if the door handle your nurse touched had a bacteria she's about to transfer to you by brushing against you - even if she washes her hands) while being in an environment with a safety net.
Have you ever in your life worked at a hospital? Trust me that even as a patient and employee you can prevent them all. And it isn't your entire responsibility to make sure that everyone is doing their job. That's theirs. I'm sure that the thousands who die every year or are injured would love to hear it was their fault because they weren't informed enough to stop it.

http://www.medicalmalpracticetoday.c...ticestats.html
Quote:
Each year more than 98,000 Americans die from Hospital Medical Errors. 1,000,000 more are injured from medical errors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post
where i live both videos and photos are allowed at births, except in the OR - and even that is negotiable for photos (with no flash)

i'm sure it isn't the same everywhere.
That doesn't mean everyone does. In fact it is getting rarer by the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post
i'm afraid the facts do NOT say that homebirth is safer because (as i explained in an earlier post) such a study is impossible to do.
No, the studies have been provided. Again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post
the other fairly certain thing is that if you have something catastrophic happen to you and you bleed out, or your heart stops or your uterus ruptures with little warning, you will most likely have a bad outcome if you are at home.
Or if you are at the hospital. Again.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif
 
  

kittywitty is online now  
#149 of 246 Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 PM
 
bri276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I realize you said you won't come back to this thread, but just in case;

I'm having a little trouble with the fact, OP, that you keep posting really long, articulate, and yet extremely repetitive posts which do not address the many questions or concerns of any of the respondents. When you started this thread, you expressed that you were expecting to be attacked, and IMO, that has NOT happened. However, this is a natural family living forum, one of the very few places on the internet and in many people's lives, where we can come together because of our common interests of natural living, which most certainly includes homebirth.

What I feel like you're missing, is that the vast majority- and I mean vast- of regular members of this board are more educated and informed about pregnancy, birth, and child care than 99.9% of the people I've met in my life, and I come from a family of doctors and professionals (excluding myself)- if I met someone who wanted to homebirth, I would direct them here for information. To come here to share your experience is perfectly fine. To share it with the expectation that you are somehow telling most of us something we've never heard before, says more about your own information and understanding of childbirth than anything else.


Quote:
wouldn't the possibility of something like that happening to you, with all the sadness that implies, make you feel more comfortable in the only place that can handle such an event?

I think what many have been saying and what you won't hear is YES, we would prefer to have an incredibly rare, unforeseen event tragically remove us from our families forever by birthing at home, having educated ourselves and taken every necessary precaution, than to RISK our health, safety, soundness of mind and control over what happens to our own bodies and children by entering the reality of what makes up an obstetrical ward at a hospital in the US in 2008. Absolutely. And because that doesn't jive with how you feel after a traumatic experience, doesn't make it wrong, or invalid, or irresponsible. I highly recommend you TRY to see the flip side many of us have spoken of that you almost refuse to believe, of babies and mothers who die because of hospital care, including the fact that c-sections increase maternal and infant mortality, and what the real risks of having an unnecessary c-sections are once you walk through those doors.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
bri276 is offline  
#150 of 246 Old 04-09-2008, 08:15 AM
 
Fanny1460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannacotta View Post
i said i had to go to the hospital as i felt something was wrong. the m/w said i was acting as though i had the pain of transition. but i was 1cm.

A mum should ALWAYS trust her intuition. You needed to go to hospital while most of the mums won't. Whatever the midwife says, always hear your inner voice first. Midwives can be wrong.

I had a friend who lost her baby because she felt something was wrong but the midwife said to her It's just a lazy baby, don't worry if he doesn't move a lot, etc... OT but just to say always trust YOU first.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I hope pregnant mums who feel discouraged by your post. I guess you have to do what feels right for you at the end of the day and it can be hospital birth. Having the choice is what matters, isn't it?

Love,

I strongly believe homebirth is safer. But if you feel something is wrong, go to hospital.
Fanny1460 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off