Mothering Forum banner

epidural for medical reasons

699 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  bluegrassgirl 
#1 ·
Last July, I was diagnosed as having autonomic dysreflexia, which is very common in people who have spinal cord injuries above T-6. The only thing with me is that I don't have a spinal cord injury, but a birth defect that causes messages not to travel back and forth to my brain via spinal cord very well, which sets off this dangerous condition. My neurologist told me that I'm one of the very rare cases of AD without a spinal cord injury. It causes severe high blood pressure, sudden massive headache, sweating from the waist up, double vision, and nausea. If not treated right away, it can cause a stroke. I discovered that I had this condition after getting a concussion after falling backwards in my wheelchair and hitting my head hard on a tile floor. Now, I normally get symptoms of dysreflexia if I have an infection. I have to carry ibuprofen and nitroglycerine paste with me at all times to treat the symptoms if they occur.

Anyway, my neurologist told me that if I were to have any more kids in the future, I'd have to have an epidural, because labor can cause dysreflexia symptoms. Once he told me that, I started to cry. I have always heard that getting an epidural is like giving a baby drugs and they have trouble breastfeeding and get colic easily. I feel so badly that any future children I have will be exposed to the epidural medicines.

Has anyone on here had to have an epidural for medical reasons other than a C-Section? Maybe talking to some of you will put my mind at ease.

Jessie

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a very anti-epidural board, just bear that in mind with the responses you get. I had an epidural for what I felt were legitimate medical reasons-- mental health reasons (PTSD from a previous labor)-- after having 4 unmedicated deliveries. It was fine-- baby was not floppy or "drugged," she nursed immediately, I was actually still able to feel the birth but without the pain, and I was walking within 45 minutes of the delivery. I had a lingering "bruised" feeling in my back for several months after delivery but I was aware that this could happen and I have no regrets.

Complications can happen-- do your research, from varying sources, and talk to more than one doctor if possible.

#3 ·
There are definitely times when an epidural is medically indicated. I have recommended it when clients have had toxemia. With BP already at dangerous levels we just could not afford to have pain drive it any higher. In this case an epidural can save you from a c-section. I have also seen epidurals save moms from c-sections in cases where the mother was simply exhausted and needed something to alleviate the pain of the contractions for a while so she could get some rest and save up her energy to begin pushing. Also in a case where the cervix had swollen, the epidural was able to give the mom some rest for a time while giving the cervix a chance to recover from the stress.

#4 ·
I think it all comes down to weighing risks and benefits of any intervention. I've never heard of your condition, but it definitely sounds like an epidural could be warranted and you should NOT feel bad about doing what you think would give you and your baby the best outcome. In the end, that is all any of us are trying to do.

#5 ·
AD is a very serious condition (as you know), and an extremely valid reason for an epidural. I would be concerned that labor pain could set off an AD episode that would result in a CVA or other medical emergency.

I would talk to an anesthesiologist in conjunction with your neurologist to plan for the safest pregnancy and delivery possible.

#6 ·
The risks of epidurals are often minimized in mainstream literature, media, and popular culture. All the things you mentioned *can* happen as a result of an epidural, and women are often not told this when making the decision. However... they are not automatic consequences at all. They are outcomes which an epidural puts you at risk for, and once you know about them, you can evaluate the other risks and benefits.

I know nothing about your condition, but there are definitely cases where an epidural is worth the risks. FWIW, I had one (after 18 hours of induced labor) and my son (who eventually was born by c-section 12 hours after the epidural went in) was totally alert and ready for the world when he came out. Granted, I also have discovered that my body is somewhat resistant to lidocaine (the drug they used in my epidural), and that might have something to do with it (and with the excruciating pain I felt after they got past my skin during surgery). ;-) But certainly, epidural births can, and usually do, have very normal outcomes.

#7 ·
From what I've heard, epidurals are less likely to cause problems with the baby than other forms of anesthesia, but they're not completely risk-free (as pg women are often told.)

In a normal, healthy pg and labor, the benefits of epidural consist of "reduces labor pain"- which means that the risks of epidurals may well outweigh the benefits in many cases. But I wouldn't consider your case a "normal healthy" pg or labor, so the risk/benefit equation changes significanly. You're not weighing "baby might not be as responsive" to "mama is a wimp and doesnt' want to deal with labor." You're dealing with "baby might have a rougher first few minutes" to "mama might have significant health problems or even die."

The biggest risk to BF from epidurals comes from vulnerable new mamas who don't know how to be assertive, and hospital staff who SHOULD know better. If the baby has a rougher time learning how to latch on, then mama needs some extra help and support in the first few hours and days until baby latches on right. If, instead, the baby gets a bottle before a good nursing session, and then the mom thinks that "formula is almost as good" and "this baby doesnt' like nursing" then the BF relationship can be doomed. But it's not from the epidural itself- it's from lack of support getting BF established.

If you know the risks ahead of time, and what to watch out for, you can nip any potential problems in the bud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.