My cousin, the OB - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 79 Old 04-15-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
smeisnotapirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Posts: 5,738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm currently 34w with my first, and my cousin, who is my age, just finished her OB residency. I'm having the baby at a birth center, with just DH and the MW and I, and everyone is being really supportive. I think they think I'm a little crazy, but they totally respect my decisions and are really encouraging.

Anyways.

We're at my shower, and my cousin the OB starts talking about how she's attended ONE "natural" birth (meaning the woman got pit, but no epidural ) and done X number of c-sections, etc. She said "I give you a lot of credit, because when I have a baby, I'm just going to schedule my c-section at 36 weeks. There was just WAY too much screaming going on in that natural birth. Besides, I'll have Dr. X do it and he can give me a tummy tuck while he's in there."



I should have just gone on about how giving pitocin means they've already interfered with her natural birth, and how much pain the poor woman was probably in because of the pit contrax, etc. I just couldn't believe it! I couldn't believe she only attended one "natural" birth and was so casual about major surgery!

Oh, and later on, she said she'd never heard of a doula before, and couldn't understand why anyone would need someone like that in a delivery room. I was prepared enough for that, so I was able to tell her that she probably wouldn't be seeing many in her c-section/tummy-tuck practice.

Can you imagine? Wow. A month out of school. I hope she gets more experience and her attitude changes, but I doubt it.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

 

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

smeisnotapirate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 79 Old 04-15-2008, 01:55 PM
 
applejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: hunting the wild aebelskiever
Posts: 18,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Good luck with your natural birth. Maybe if you film it, you can show her. And charge her since you are educating her.

I once told a doctor that she was "un-educated". She simply did not know what I meant by that. I think you know what I meant by that, don't you? Your cousin knows about technological birth, but nothing of natural birth.

And it is OK to scream, if you want.

There is education and there is "longer education" and "over-education".

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
applejuice is offline  
#3 of 79 Old 04-15-2008, 02:45 PM
 
meganmarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bergen county, NJ
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At a dinner party in Dec I met someone who was in the midst of an OB/GYN residency and she said all she did was surgery. Its funny, I guess maybe we should almost cut doctors some slack for being so ignorant, they are only acting as they've been taught. If only there was some way to change what happens in med school...
meganmarie is offline  
#4 of 79 Old 04-15-2008, 02:48 PM
 
applejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: hunting the wild aebelskiever
Posts: 18,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You say doctors are ignorant, and I say they are uneducated, but I think we both know what we mean, don't you?

The medical school regiment dehumanizes doctors, at least most of them, it seems. Too bad, since so many of them go in to the field with the highest of ideals and desires to help people.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
applejuice is offline  
#5 of 79 Old 04-15-2008, 02:54 PM
 
Xenopus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess maybe we should almost cut doctors some slack for being so ignorant, they are only acting as they've been taught.
This is true. They are heavily indoctrinated that their services are going to be necessary for 90% of births. And what profession doesn't do this? Can you imagine a master plumber saying, "I'm glad most people don't need me. Most plumbing problems are simply solved by the home-owner." Or the auto-mechanic? Or the hairdresser? "Gee, I love the new no-frills styles - people are learning to cut their own hair. That's great."

If you think about it, their identities and their livelihoods are linked to the notion that birth is a catastrophic medical emergency, and that their patients NEED their intervention, or they'll die. I hear labor nurses talking about childbirth without drugs as "the Dark Ages" and medieval torture, etc etc. Their culture is not to identify with mothers as life-givers, who are most of the time, competent to manage their own labor and deliver without interference, but as patients to be "handled"... and billed.

Good luck with your birth, OP, I'll be going to the hospital for mine... only if my midwife tells me I have to. ;-)

love
Xen

Mamma to Amelia (8/13/2006) Henry (7/28/2008), and Arthur (1/15/2011)
Xenopus is offline  
#6 of 79 Old 04-15-2008, 04:09 PM
 
paquerette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Poconos
Posts: 6,594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
The medical school regiment dehumanizes doctors, at least most of them, it seems. Too bad, since so many of them go in to the field with the highest of ideals and desires to help people.
Too bad they didn't make something like this mandatory: http://www.amsa.org/heart/

I have a friend enrolled in that. There is hope for the future.
paquerette is offline  
#7 of 79 Old 04-15-2008, 04:52 PM
 
Kidzaplenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Writing my Happily Ever After
Posts: 15,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They should be teaching the surgeons about Natural Orifice Surgery.

It is all over the news and heath news. It is the "Wave of the Future".

Yeah! For every medical doctor except OBs. For them, they teach major abdominal surgery.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Kidzaplenty is offline  
#8 of 79 Old 04-15-2008, 05:35 PM
 
amaayeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: N. California
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a cousin JUST like that. She is an ER doc, though. She is due in July and my mom told me the other day that she and her doctor are trying to come up with an excuse to give her a c-section. What I said to my mom was, "I honestly wouldn't expect anything different. After all, she IS a doctor." I think it's like pp said, they are indoctrinated to think that cutting is 'normal' no matter the situation. I just think it's so sad for her and her baby that due to this indoctrination, the baby won't bond, nurse, be held, will be circumcised, give n every shot without question, etc. It's not that he won't live, but it really makes me nauseous to think he won't feel connected to his parents. She said she doesn't even know if she can take 6 weeks off work because it would drive her nuts to be home with a baby. WHY are you having one?? Sorry. I just think it's sad what our medical community thinks is 'normal.'

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

amaayeh is offline  
#9 of 79 Old 04-15-2008, 05:37 PM
 
maryeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yikes. My younger sister is now in residency and when I was pregnant with my first she was all over my case about how she read one article that said waterbirth is dangerous, how will they breathe, etc. She also called me to say she just attended a lecture about circumcision and the speaker said all uncut boys get infections, so please will I change my mind and circ my little guy when he is born (not to mention she didn't want him made fun of when older). Ugh. She never ever saw a natural birth during her ob/gyn rotation. Not one. By natural I mean no drugs/induction, etc. She wanted to come to my homebirth because she thought she "needed to see this!" After her vaccination lecture she called to start an argument with me because she rightly assumed we weren't vaxing, and the presenter only discussed how babies die if they are not vaccinated. That was it.

The poster that stated they are uneducated is so correct. Thankfully my sister is not going into OB, but she is going into Pediatrics. I'm hoping with age and experience she will get some wisdom, but it seems unlikely. She is so cut down from this process, and yes somewhat dehumanized. It amazes me how indoctrinated she is...

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
maryeb is offline  
#10 of 79 Old 04-15-2008, 06:04 PM
 
applejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: hunting the wild aebelskiever
Posts: 18,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
Too bad they didn't make something like this mandatory: http://www.amsa.org/heart/

I have a friend enrolled in that. There is hope for the future.
Dr. Mendelsohn had something in mind for a new kind of medical school in which medical doctors would interact with midwives, herbalists, chiropractors, homeopaths to have a broader view of healing and working with patients. But he died before he got anything off the ground. I had donated to it and corresponded with him about it.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
applejuice is offline  
#11 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 01:14 AM
 
Ladybyrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaayeh View Post
I think it's like pp said, they are indoctrinated to think that cutting is 'normal' no matter the situation. I just think it's so sad for her and her baby that due to this indoctrination, the baby won't bond, nurse, be held, will be circumcised, give n every shot without question, etc.
I'd like to ask for clarification before I get upset by this. I hope you're not implying that babies born via c-section won't bond. Are you? Because it just isn't true.

TIA
Ladybyrd is offline  
#12 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 01:39 AM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 42,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybyrd View Post
I'd like to ask for clarification before I get upset by this. I hope you're not implying that babies born via c-section won't bond. Are you? Because it just isn't true.

TIA
I don't think that is what she meant, she referred to different things there besides c-section.

Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
#13 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 01:04 PM
 
sunnymw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SWGA
Posts: 2,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I don't think that is what she meant, she referred to different things there besides c-section.
Yes, and when you put together ALL of the things listed, it sure does make it a little harder

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

sunnymw is offline  
#14 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 01:13 PM
 
Treece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Planet Earth, most days
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds2 had an ~almost~ natural birth in the hospital. I say almost cuz the doc insisted on staydol b4 the cnm arrrived. it was attended by one student doc and he got to see a tear that was left unsutured . oh and healed just fine thank you.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10
 
When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

Treece is offline  
#15 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 01:32 PM
 
jessjgh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South Shore MA
Posts: 4,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my good friend from college is a pedi.... from her training she choose natural birth because natural birth is safest for the baby.
In her residency they were also all required to spend some time working the OBGYN rotation with a midwife group. I believe this was all residents, not just those planning on ob/gyn or pedis.

And she at least admits she is a bit likely to be biased on many issues because she sees worst case scenarios.

I wish she was 'crunchy' too, but she's pretty mainstream, and I don't see her that much so I don't get to talk about much.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
jessjgh1 is offline  
#16 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 03:33 PM
 
amaayeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: N. California
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybyrd View Post
I'd like to ask for clarification before I get upset by this. I hope you're not implying that babies born via c-section won't bond. Are you? Because it just isn't true.

TIA
NO, I'm NOT AT ALL saying that babies born via c-section won't bond. NO, no, no. I am saying that I'm afraid they won't bond because she doesn't see the value in holding a baby, nurturing it, etc. I'm sorry for not stating that clearly. I know my cousin and she is very cold and very into what the latest 'fad' is...aka Babywise.

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

amaayeh is offline  
#17 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 05:12 PM
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,038
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
There is education and there is "longer education" and "over-education".
Or . . . to pilfer and paraphrase Mark Twain, schooling can interfere with education. How beautifully that sums up OB training....

These doctors would get a good education if they would sit as hands-off witnesses to a natural, normal birth, ideally out-of-hospital. I read one doctor's account of how utterly terrified (read: awestruck) he was by the experience. Very humbling. For the first time, the laboring woman had all the power.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is offline  
#18 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 06:15 PM
 
RoxyJas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Her reaction is so sad, but not surprising.

My best friend's little sister is in her last semester of RN schooling to be a labor and delivery nurse, and she actually makes fun and imitates noises mothers make when laboring naturally. She thinks I am absolutely nuts and just trying to "prove something" because I am planning a NCB VBAC and sent me an email telling me how my uterus could rupture and I could bleed out and die in 3 minutes.

Roxanne, mama to Alexandra (6), Matthew (5), and my VBAC babe Lauren (2). Expecting late April!
RoxyJas is offline  
#19 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 07:59 PM
 
JustVanessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On the river bank....
Posts: 6,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom is an RN and firnly convinced I am going to die from a rupture. I sent her some articles from here and basically said, then why is my doc willing to do it then mom?

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
JustVanessa is offline  
#20 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 08:01 PM
 
meowee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
IShe said "I give you a lot of credit, because when I have a baby, I'm just going to schedule my c-section at 36 weeks.
Why 36 weeks? I know technically it's full term, but isn't it risky to hasten things?
meowee is offline  
#21 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 08:54 PM
 
La Limena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: california
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OB/GYN is a surgical specialty which is great for someone wanting to be a surgeon but is brings the consequence of not being so great for normal pregnant women.

I am a surgical subspecialist, but when I applied to medical school I planned on going into women's health (even wrote a great paper on the history of midwifery in America and one on the rise of cesarean sections as an undergrad). I found during my OB clerkship (at a large county facility) that there was just too much intervention and panic and clock watching in the field so I decided to pursue a different field rather than subject my future patients to the over medicalization of a natural process. As a student and then intern (at a community hospital) I got to assist at many a c section but I do not recall seeing a single intervention free birth. Nope, not one.

I didn't find medical education to be too dehumanizing, I think that medicine just attracts an interesting variety of personalities. If one is kind of cold and distant to begin with they are going to treat their patients this way, whereas if one is more holistic and humanistic, it will likely lead to a humanistic approach to patient care (my personal & professional philosophy).

So...you might luck out and find a great open minded OB in your area (like I did with DS#1) or you might be totally out of luck and find no good OBs in your area (like me right now with DS#2, I am using a midwife for a planned homebirth).
La Limena is offline  
#22 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 PM
 
sapphire_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Limena View Post
OB/GYN is a surgical specialty which is great for someone wanting to be a surgeon but is brings the consequence of not being so great for normal pregnant women.

I didn't find medical education to be too dehumanizing, I think that medicine just attracts an interesting variety of personalities. If one is kind of cold and distant to begin with they are going to treat their patients this way, whereas if one is more holistic and humanistic, it will likely lead to a humanistic approach to patient care (my personal & professional philosophy).
Excellent points.

Welcome!
sapphire_chan is offline  
#23 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Banned
 
accountclosed3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i was going to point out what la limena already did, which is that OB/GYN is a surgical speciality, and so it's beneficial for them to spend the majority of their training in surgery. i would rather that surgeries be safe as possible with good training, then have an untrained or inexperienced surgeon handling any surgical procedures.

with this, and as a matter of medical availibility and equity, i believe that doctors should educate patients about what they do and when they are necessary and when they are not in order to provide the best possible care and create space in their practices for women who truly need their services.

by this, i mean it would be better to inform the client that they are surgeons and specialists, necessary for those women who will most likely require some form of intervention or surgery in order to deliver a child in a safe manner.

these women do exist, and i believe enough of them exist to maintain a healthy practice for the doctor even though s/he would be missing out on "everyone else."

but because these doctors are often have too many clients anyway, it would make sense to start telling people to go to other kinds of caregivers so that their speciality is available to those women who need it most.

part of this, too, though requires the individual person to go out and figure out that these people are specialists. there are times for specialists--that is certain--but we can determine whether or not we need one.

as an example, i went to an opthemologist for years due to my specialized eye conditions. the opthemologist is there for my surgerical and specialized needs which now no longer exist due t o the work of the opthemologist when i was a child. therefore, i can go to an optometrist instead.

it is upsetting that people--whether doctors or not--become enamored with a particular procedure such that everything is a nail to their hammer. of course, we're all guilty of this sort of practice, i would say, but it's particularly difficult when you're sitting in a completely different perspective AND it's a minority perspective AND the other person is hammering away!

i'm very weird to my family too. i've been encouraged to do all sorts of things that they think is best. i've been as open as i could with information--which they either accept as real or they don't. it's fine if they don't; but i expect them to be respectful and decent when around me and discussing my process.

and i'm fine to discuss their process (my mother loves to talk about her natural hospital births--which in the 70s were natural hospital births) as well, as long as there is no implication that i must follow suit.
accountclosed3 is offline  
#24 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 11:11 PM
 
doctorjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Doing my OB rotation convinced me right out of doing OB. In fact, I came home after my first shift and cried and cried because I went to med school because I was interested in women's health/maternity care and by the end of that first shift I knew I could never do THAT. I didn't realize before I went to medical school what it meant that OB/Gyne was a surgical speciality. The training is heavily surgically focused - in most programs it is only in the first year that you even do a lot of vaginal births (I won't say "normal")

Fortunately, I figured out in time that I could be a family doc and still attend births, and bring a different perspective. I practice in a small town and do about a third of the births in my hospital (around 70 a year.) I am frequently asked why I didn't pursue OB because don't I wish I could do my own surgeries and the answer is a resounding NO. I feel the majority of births should be attended by non-surgical birth attendants. Preferably midwives, but I think generalist physicians can do a good job as well. I tell my clients that being a non-surgeon means that no one in my practice ever has a cesarean because I have dinner plans - I have to consult for surgery, and I have to have a reason that a consultant agrees is valid.

I think it is quite hard for the average person to overcome their surgical training as an OB and attend a birth wihtout seeing pathology at every turn. Not impossible, as their are great OBs out there who have the skill of attending a normal birth, but really hard.
doctorjen is offline  
#25 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 11:25 PM
 
Belia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 1,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyJas View Post
My best friend's little sister is in her last semester of RN schooling to be a labor and delivery nurse, and she actually makes fun and imitates noises mothers make when laboring naturally.

This made me cry. What a cruel thing to do... even if those moms have no idea that they're being made fun of. I'm a very modest person, and I'll admit that, right or wrong, I have fears about what I will sound like and/or look like during labor. Reading this confirmed my worst fears.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

 

 

Belia is offline  
#26 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 11:36 PM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,404
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
I had a 100% natural birth in a hops. - my OB was an old MALE (who also still teaches - in his 60's) the intern who observed and my nurse were in SHOCK!!! Both had NEVER seen a natural birth! The DS went right to my boob and the cord was not cut until it was done pulsing and my placenta naturally came out. By the way my Dr. did acupuncture and did it on me during labor and after. At my post-op check up I told him what all the nurses said that made a special point to come talk to us (I didn't have much time, he released me an hour after the birth)-he told me, I would LOVE to do births like this but NO ONE wants them! I didn't scream because I hardly had pain, this was my second and with the AC it was less than 50% of the pain I had with the first, besides using AC my labor was super short. I have yet to meet ANYONE outside of this message board that wants a "NATURAL" birth, I just had a cousin proudly tell me how she didn't scream because she got the ep she wanted, and the pot. drip and all the other drugs- and just because the kid came out of her without a "c", she claims she had a natural birth!

 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#27 of 79 Old 04-16-2008, 11:52 PM
 
La Limena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: california
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi doctorjen. Did you do an OB fellowship? Hopefully not.

At my clerkship hospital we had 1 or 2 FPs doing OB fellowships, and the result was that they just got swept up into the surgical realm too, so that any non-surgical perspective they may have originally brought to medicine was soon reduced or erased by the same c section training and highly interventive labor management education that the OB residents experienced.

The interesting thing to me is that IME many of the OB track students and later residents that I knew LOVED the surgical aspect of OB/GYN and would even prefer to have a GYN only surgical practice so as to avoid the lifestyle inconvenience of "boring" "normal" deliveries in the middle of the night. I just don't get it...if these folks don't even like or want to "catch babies" why not support midwives efforts to provide the much needed service to low risk women. (Or if not actively support, then at least not actively resist the efforts.)

I also agree with the example zoebird gives. I am an ophthalmologist and though I am trained to refract and prescribe glasses and fit contacts, and I do provide this service to some patients, I am a surgeon and prefer my more challenging medical cases and surgeries. I am (and most ophthalmologists agree with me) totally okay with optometrists handling the very routine cases because it lets me concentrate on the things I like best. If ophthalmology as a whole can "let go" of routine healthy eye exams to optometrists I just can't see why OB as a whole can't "let go" of the low risk women to midwives instead of actively turning their births into potential surgical births by interfering so much.
La Limena is offline  
#28 of 79 Old 04-17-2008, 12:06 AM
DBZ
 
DBZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we ought to just start refering to OB/GYNs are obsterical surgeons or gyn surgeons.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

DBZ is offline  
#29 of 79 Old 04-17-2008, 01:03 AM
 
applejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: hunting the wild aebelskiever
Posts: 18,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
i would rather that surgeries be safe as possible with good training, then have an untrained or inexperienced surgeon handling any surgical procedures.
Could it be that OBs have done so many unnecessary surgeries on healthy women, i.e., women who really do not NEED the surgery, that the OBs have plenty of training and experience and are therefore excellent at what they do? Just asking. That is probably how they have the good outcomes that they do get most of the time.

But then most women prefer to think that their surgery was necessary; few women want to think of themselves as teaching/learning material.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
applejuice is offline  
#30 of 79 Old 04-17-2008, 01:14 AM
 
crazy_eights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nisht ahir un nish aher
Posts: 6,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She saw one natural delivery in FOUR YEARS????? That's nuts.
crazy_eights is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off