Were you born by twilight sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

My brother and I were born by twilight sleep. Not sure about my sister. Before I knew about twilight sleep, there was a distinct absence about my birth story, and I always found it odd that others parents talked about the birth of their children, but my parents didn't.

After watching the Ricki Lake "Birth" tonight, I wondered if my mother was one of those women who was mistreated or physically abused while givingn birth to me, or even straped to the table and left for hours. I know it seems strange that I would have no memory about my birth, since I was an infant, but I think I lacked any connection to my birth at all.

As an adult, the question I beg an answer for is:

How did this affect me as a newborn, and does it still continue to affect me today?

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 03:42 PM

I know I was born with my mother under twilight. She told me she didn't "wake up" for three days after I was born. I was her first and she was only 18 at the time.
#3 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 03:52 PM

I was born that way too my Mom foggily remembers the doctor coming in and asking the nurses. "Is she out? I don't want her moving." She was also 18 and I was her first. Her Doc was an old Doc back in 1977 when I was born, I don't think it was really common practice then but it was an old hospital and all the docs there were old and ready to retire. I think they were behind the times. For my sister born 4 years later my Mom didn't go to the hospital until she was ready to push as she didn't want to be drugged up, She ended up having my two sisters and my brother all naturally. My brother was a quick 20 min birth with only the nurses. I don't know if it was because of my birth or the fact that I wasn't breastfed but I was horribly sick and in and out of the hospital until I was 2. Mostly Fevers and bad colds.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#4 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I was born au naturel.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 04:18 PM

I was born with an epidural in 1980.
#6 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 05:25 PM

I was a C-section, my younger sister was a vaginal birth but I know my mom had an epidural. I bet my mother and aunt and uncles were all born by twilight sleep though. My grandma (who has given me lots and lots of good advice too, I swear) always told me regarding child birth to "scream until they knock you out". I always wondered what she meant by that, I didn't think you could physically give birth and be "knocked out". I guess I should of just asked. I've heard about twilight sleep in regards to abortion, but not child birth.
#7 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 05:29 PM

My mom had 7 unmedicated hospital birth with the eighth she decided to go with the epidural.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#8 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 05:31 PM

I was born in a hospital in 1985, my mom only had a small dose of demerol or other similar narcotic. No epidural.
#9 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 05:36 PM

I was born in 1972 and I know it wasn't by twilight sleep. She had some kind of drugs but she said she didn't think epidurals were available then or at least she had never heard of them, then or in 1974 when she had my sister. When she had my brothers, one in 1986 and one in 1989, she got the epidural as soon as they would let her. We were talking about it one day and she told me I was nuts because I've never had one. Everytime I'm having a baby, she tells me that I'll change my mind and get one. I told her that nobody is sticking some long needle into my back.
#10 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom had an unmedicated birth with me. I was her only drug-free birth. Both of my older siblings she had IV drugs.
#11 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 06:11 PM

I was "lucky." All I got was Stadol, epidural drugs, and being dragged out by forceps. Though I was born in '75 and I don't think there was a lot of the twilight sleep at that point?

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#12 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 06:15 PM

Sorry, I have no clue. My mom birthed me completely natural in a hospital and went on to have one more natural hospital birth and four homebirths.

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#13 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 06:18 PM

I was born in 1966 -- I don't know whether it was twilight sleep, but my mom had some kind of general that knocked her more or less completely out for the birth. It sounds horrible to me, but I must say it didn't stop her from bonding with and loving us, and in my case she even nursed for a few weeks (which was sort of rare at the time).

As far as the "how did it affect you?" question -- I'm guessing it really didn't. My brother and I are both "pretty jolly clever," we were healthy babies and are healthy adults, and our mom (and dad) loved us. I'm sure there's a percentage of babies who were adversely affected by that kind of anesthesia -- too groggy to eat or such -- but we weren't in that percentage.
#14 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 06:37 PM

My mother and her 3 siblings were all born by twillight sleep. My grandmother had her 4 kids between 1958 and 1967. She maintains it is the best way to give birth.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#15 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 06:53 PM

I was my mom's natural birth claim-to-fame. Not sure what she had with my older sis- probably a block of some sort- but with my bro she had the scopolomine cocktail. The details of his birth story are scattered at best.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#16 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 07:11 PM

I'm not sure how I was born (adopted), but some of my aunts had twilight sleep births in the 50s and 60s. One aunt in particular was in awe of my natural birth and a little sad because she didn't remember her sons being born at all.
#17 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdaffodils View Post
One aunt in particular was in awe of my natural birth and a little sad because she didn't remember her sons being born at all.
That is really sad.

No, I was not born with "twilight sleep." I was born in 1972; my mom remembers my birth well!
#18 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 PM

My mother had demerol, and then a spinal, with me. I was sluggish and jaundiced; mom says I slept for three days afterwards just about constantly, and she was told by nurses that it was normal for a newborn to be groggy and non-responsive.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#19 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 PM

I was a drug-free hospital baby, but I'm pretty sure my mom was born under twilight sleep... the only memory my grandmother has of my mom's birth is "hearing carolers outside the hospital" (my mom was born on Christmas Eve)
#20 of 70 Old 05-05-2008, 11:45 PM

My mother's brother was born by twilight sleep in the early 60's. I have the little brochure they gave my grandmother when she woke up - "congratulations, you had a healthy boy at 5:56, you'll get to see him soon!" etc. Very creepy. She doesn't remember anything. She still somehow managed to breastfeed all her kids for several months. Who knows if it had an effect on him.
#21 of 70 Old 05-06-2008, 12:13 AM

I was born with a shot of narcotic but no epi.

My GMIL, whom we lived with for several months, had 2 out of 3 of her children with TS. She said that with one of them (the second one) she woke up to nurses screaming and pushing on her stomach and then passed back out. She tore with him, the scar is well down onto her LEG. He was 10lbs and some change born at 43-44 weeks. She says she would prefer getting knocked out again to a regular birth in the hospital, which she had with her 3rd.

I can't honestly compare her 3 kids even though I know them pretty well... they all have health issues, although they were all FF'd as well from the get-go.

Sorry I'm not much help!

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#22 of 70 Old 05-06-2008, 02:49 AM

I was not, I was born in '82 by scheduled c-section and my mother had a spinal but was awake for it.

my brothers on the other hand, born in the late 60's (1966, 1968), I'm pretty sure were born while our mother was under twilight sleep. I know that one brother was a high forceps delivery.. not sure about the other one. She doesn't really like to talk about it much, so I don't know exactly what happened, hell, she probably doesn't even know exactly what happened
#23 of 70 Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 AM

I was born in 1980 and my mom had nitrous. She clung to that mask and was so relaxed that she wouldn't push so the doc had the nurse take the mask away from her.

My mom is very withdrawn/reserved by nature so I doubt that our relationship would have been any different if she didn't use meds.

My grandmother had all her children naturally in Mexico.
#24 of 70 Old 05-06-2008, 04:01 AM

I don't know how "natural" it was when I was born, but I think it was pretty plain with maybe a bit of pain relief. I know my mom was only there a short time and had her doc discharge her three hours after. So not to many drugs could have been in her system or she would have never left that soon.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#25 of 70 Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 AM

I was born in the late 60's in a small town hospital and from what my mom remembers, she was completely knocked out and woke up sometime later after the birth worried that they had killed her baby (me). yikes! All she knows is what she was told later. She was knocked out, had an episiotomy, forcepts. She was given a shot to "dry up her milk". It could possibly have been twilight sleep...

When I pg, I grilled her about her births & she is very detached from them. She talks about going into the hospitals on her due dates and then the doctors taking care of the rest... For some reason this is okay with her.

I don't think our bonding was affected. She is a very loving & affectionate person and just loves babies.
#26 of 70 Old 05-06-2008, 11:46 AM

I wasn't born with my mom in a Twilight Sleep, but my mom was. The only thing I know about my mom's birth is that my grandma told me she went to sleep and when she woke up she had a baby. She thought that was the best way to have a baby because she didn't feel much pain. I don't know about tearing or anything like that. My mom was born in 1948. As for their bonding, they seem to get along just fine. I know my grandma was sort of strict with my mom when she was growing up and I think my mom has a bit of resentment toward that, but I don't think that has anything to do with her birth.

On the other hand, my sister and I were both born naturally in a hospital, me in 1977 and my sister in 1981. My mom told me that the doctor wanted to use forceps to pull me out, but she said, "Only if you can promise me that it won't mis-shape the baby's head at all or leave any marks." Of course, he couldn't make that promise so I just came out on my own. Thanks, Mom! (It helped that my mom is a nurse and had been present at many deliveries, so she knew that there could be a problem with forceps.)

For my sister's birth, my mom told me that the doctor put some type of numbing cream on her cervix. She said that it kept her from feeling as much pressure as at my birth and was very helpful. I have never heard anyone else mention this cream. Has anyone here heard of it?

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#27 of 70 Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 PM

I can't recall if my mom said she's gotten a shot of narcotic with me or my siblings, but I know she had 4 of us all vaginally (1979 and beyond), and she was proud that she did so. I was the biggest at over 9 lbs to boot! My father remembers that it was still a new thing for dads to be in the delivery room at the time. Lamaze was in vogue at the time and I think she did that, as well as helped "coach" a few of her friends in that way when they had their births.

I'm pretty certain that my grandmothers had twilight sleep births. I'd have to ask...it's weird that during all the birth conversations that came up with my grandmothers around they didn't have much in the way of details or anything general to offer about their own experiences, which I think could be telling.
#28 of 70 Old 05-07-2008, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No, I wasn't. My parents took a Lamaze class and I was an unmedicated vaginal hospital birth in 1976. My mother wrote her birth story afterward, as the Lamaze instructor had apparently requested the students do so, and she gave me a copy after I had DD (it's not as detailed as what you see on the forums, though!). I wouldn't have appreciated it much before being pregnant but I do love having a copy of it now!

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#29 of 70 Old 05-07-2008, 07:25 PM

My mother had her oldest with twilight sleep. She was 16 and they used forceps. She always had trouble bonding with her oldest, and she blames it largely on the birth.

She then had 3 other natural births.

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#30 of 70 Old 05-07-2008, 09:11 PM

No thankfully I was not....born without drugs in `79 in a hospital. My mom did Lamaze and that was enough for her....thankfully I think that hospital phased out the twilight sleep in the 60's. My mom was a homebirth in the 30's....small town and couldn't afford a hospital.

From reading some of these stories it seems that a lot of young moms (16-18) had the worst treatment....seems to go in with the stuff I've read of young mothers being punished and being treated horribly because they were young, possibly unmarried, and giving birth.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page