I know this topic has been covered alot, but still a little confused.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 05-09-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. Well I know the topic of Vitamin K has been covered alot on this board, but I am still confused as to exactly how much Vitamin K is in the injection given to newborns. I have heard some people say that its way over the oral dosage of Vit K but then I have also read online where it said that it is just 1 mg or less...

Prophylaxis of Hemorrhagic Disease of the Newborn

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that vitamin K1 be given to the newborn. A single intramuscular dose of AquaMEPHYTON 0.5 to 1 mg within one hour of birth is recommended.

I am not sure if this is what all hospitals are doing though..

Also, I was thinking about declining the shot but I have been reading that if you have taken antibiotics during pregnancy that the Vitamin K injection for the baby is recommended... So, I will probably be getting it for my daughter most likely...

I need to find out more info from the hospital if I can about it though when I went to register, they didnt know what I was talking about when I mentioned the Vitamin K injection..

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help!

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 05-10-2008, 04:12 PM

As far as I know all the vitamin K does is help with blood clotting if your baby has problems with that (which is a big deal, I guess, but quite rare). I haven't heard the antibiotic angle and don't quite understand why those two would be related. I was on antibiotics several times during my last pregnancy and still declined vit K for the baby.
I decline as a rule but if the baby was born with a significant amount of bruising, I would allow the vit K, just in case.

I don't know how much is in there. It just is mostly unnecessary.
#3 of 20 Old 05-10-2008, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My midwife and I talked about that this week. If the baby is born with bruising it's a really good idea to get some vitamin K into the baby's system. I'm really against the idea of sticking an infant with a needle so we will have oral vitamin K on hand. It is my responsibility to remind her to bring it with her to the next few appointments after birth if we decide it is necessary. (She knows she isn't good at remembering it and asked if I was ok with reminding her.)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#4 of 20 Old 05-10-2008, 04:53 PM

A little bruising would not lead me to vit. K. I'd consider it if there were serious bruising.

-Angela
#5 of 20 Old 05-12-2008, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your help
#6 of 20 Old 05-12-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

I have read a few articles online that explain about antibiotics and the need for Vitamin K at birth... Here is one of them..

Vitamin K deficiency is very rare and occurs when there is an inability to absorb the vitamin from the intestinal tract. Vitamin K deficiency can also occur after prolonged treatment with oral antibiotics. Vitamin K deficiency is often the result of impaired absorption rather than not getting enough in the diet. Prolonged use of antibiotics can also cause a low level of this vitamin because they destroy some of the bacteria in the gut that help to produce vitamin K. Newborns are at risk for vitamin K deficiency. This is because their digestive tracts contain no vitamin K-producing bacteria
#7 of 20 Old 05-12-2008, 03:12 PM

Babies are all born with low levels of vitamin K. I absolutely cannot believe that all babies are born "needing" some sort of intervention.

Vitamin K became a recommendation in the knock em out, drag em out days of delivery when many (most) babies were born with forceps. Forceps caused trauma which led to bleeding on the brain which was not detectable until it was too late.

Aside from traumatizing a newborn with a needle-- there have been some studies that indicate a possibility of a higher risk of leukemia with the vit K shot. Inconclusive though. I don't know what else is put into that shot aside from vit k but my guess is there are preservatives as well.

My thoughts were that - unless baby was born in a traumatic manner. Leave baby alone!

Another vote for a calm, natural birth!!
#8 of 20 Old 05-12-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandasz View Post
Vitamin K became a recommendation in the knock em out, drag em out days of delivery when many (most) babies were born with forceps. Forceps caused trauma which led to bleeding on the brain which was not detectable until it was too late.
This doesn't explain why vitamin K supplements are standard in all industrialized countries, even the ones that have always had low rates of intervention.
#9 of 20 Old 05-13-2008, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

It is a tough issue to try and figure out!
#10 of 20 Old 05-13-2008, 02:03 AM

you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen78fl View Post
Also, I was thinking about declining the shot but I have been reading that if you have taken antibiotics during pregnancy that the Vitamin K injection for the baby is recommended... So, I will probably be getting it for my daughter most likely...
Then posted this quote.

Quote:
I have read a few articles online that explain about antibiotics and the need for Vitamin K at birth... Here is one of them..

Vitamin K deficiency is very rare and occurs when there is an inability to absorb the vitamin from the intestinal tract. Vitamin K deficiency can also occur after prolonged treatment with oral antibiotics. Vitamin K deficiency is often the result of impaired absorption rather than not getting enough in the diet. Prolonged use of antibiotics can also cause a low level of this vitamin because they destroy some of the bacteria in the gut that help to produce vitamin K. Newborns are at risk for vitamin K deficiency. This is because their digestive tracts contain no vitamin K-producing bacteria
If this is your reason for thinking a baby who was exposed to antibiotics in utero might need vit. K- it seems invalid to me. NO babies are born with the correct bacteria in their guts. At best they are colonized IN birth. So as long as you're not on antibiotics at that time, I don't see why your baby would need the K more than any other.

-Angela
#11 of 20 Old 05-13-2008, 02:09 AM

If they have an inability to absorb it through their GI tract, then I don't see how oral vit K would be worth it.

I would only use the shot for my family if there were proven reasons to do so or serious trauma/bruising.

Just being born is not reason enough to use it in my book.
#12 of 20 Old 05-14-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.. Another thing Im wondering is about how long it might take to replace bacteria after using antibiotics. I am taking culturelle and trying to eat yogurt more. I hope that is enough..
#13 of 20 Old 05-14-2008, 03:16 PM

About the antibiotics - since the baby doesn't have any bacteria in the gut yet, the antibiotics you took during pregnancy couldn't kill them off. So as long as you manage to replace your good bacteria before the baby is born so the baby can be colonized (which it sounds like you're doing), the antibiotics should have no effect on the baby's ability to absorb vit. K. That's how it sounds to me, anyway.

But like PPs have said, since ALL babies are born without much vitamin K, it doesn't make much sense to say they're deficient.

We did give the oral vitamin K, but my son was breech and had a good bit of bruising and scrapes on his bottom. Next time we'll probably wait and see, but have the oral stuff on hand in case we want it. Even if you don't give it to the baby you can take it yourself.
#14 of 20 Old 05-15-2008, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks hapersmion
#15 of 20 Old 05-16-2008, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, I have already told my OB that I would like to wait at least 5 minutes before the cord is cut, so since I am doing this, could I just not give Vitamin K at all, either orally or injection, or would it be best if she got Vit k one way or the other? Thanks all for your help
#16 of 20 Old 05-16-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
By the way, I have already told my OB that I would like to wait at least 5 minutes before the cord is cut, so since I am doing this, could I just not give Vitamin K at all, either orally or injection, or would it be best if she got Vit k one way or the other? Thanks all for your help
I would not tolerate the cord being cut before it stops pulsing unless there is an emergency or it's a section.

But no, when the cord is cut would not influence my decision one way or the other.

-Angela
#17 of 20 Old 05-16-2008, 04:44 PM

Hey there, Jen78fl! There's so much to figure out. You are awesome for taking responsibility to do your own research and make up your own mind.

There's already been a ton of great info posted, so I just want to add one thing. I was at a conference last year and heard Dr. Sarah Buckley talking about how there is currently research being conducted to determine why babies are born producing no Vit K and whether there is a reason the body works that way. It will be the very first study (I believe) to determine whether a lack of Vit K is beneficial in any way at birth. So in actuality, we don't even know all the possible risks of the practice of Vit K injections for normal infants.

We opted for no Vit K whatsoever (besides what is present in mama milk!) and dd was fine.
#18 of 20 Old 05-16-2008, 05:39 PM

A baby's vitamin K levels or need for vitamin K has nothing to do with the timing of cord clamping.
#19 of 20 Old 05-16-2008, 08:45 PM

My baby was born very gently - I caught him myself, there was no bruising from birth, we just held him for a long time (hours) before we cut the cord. Anyway, for whatever reason, he had this meconium that was tinged with what looked like old blood. I watched it for a couple of days but since it wasn't improving by day 5 when I went to see a midwife for his PKU, we decided to give him an injection at that time, since it suggested there was some blood in his intestines that wasn't being processed, and we were concerned it was his intestinal lining that was bleeding.

My first inclination was to avoid the vit k - but when there was a reason to use it, I felt it was the right decision. Within a day of the shot the amber meconium cleared up and he started having regular milk stools about a day after that. So you can refuse it at birth and then a dr. or midwife would be happy to administer it later if there was a need for it.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#20 of 20 Old 05-16-2008, 08:56 PM

I read and read and read and just got more confused! But here is what I did fwiw. My son was born by c-section after a two day hard labor. He was stuck in my pelvis. When he was finally out he had two big black eyes, a giant bruise on his nose and pretty much looked like he had been in the worlds worst boxing match. He got the oral Vit.K. My daughter was a footling breech delivered by c-section. I labored about 14 hours in which time she floated from transverse to footling, never got head down never got into my pelvis. She was born with no bruising. I declined the vit K.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11

User Tag List