bright red bleeding at 6 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is 6 weeks, 1 day. Yesterday I posted that I was having a lot of sticky CM. By evening, there was a bloody tinge to the CM.

This AM, I woke to a bright red spot of blood on my pad. I checked my CM, and my blood feels kind of thick and mucousy and a bit stretchy. Now, a few hours later, I do have more blood on my pad but not a large amount like one would have with their period.

It has only been a few days since my normal PP bleeding. That has been the pattern lately - a day on, a few days off, a day on, etc.

What is going on with me? It doesn't seem like I could get my period since I have been bleeding up until a few days ago. I am exclusively breastfeeding as well.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How busy have you been since your baby was born? Did you take an official baby moon (meaning 5 days each in, on, and around your bed)? How is your diet? Are you eating a lot of protein, green leafies, a rainbow of fruits and veggies every day, and Naturally Derived Essential Fatty Acids?

It is common if you are "overdoing" it to go backward in your bleeding. This is one of the ways that your body speaks to you...if you are doing too much and you have stopped bleeding you can actually start up again...if it has gone to brown, it will turn bright red again.

Your body did the physical equivalent of running two back to back marathons when you birthed your baby. To heal/recover from that well, it needs superb nutrition. Doing things like getting apples cut up and baby carrots in a bag, yogurt in small servings, cheese in cubes, salad all made up in a gallon sized ziplock that you can serve quickly with no effort, whole grain crackers nearby, nut/seed butters and whole grain bread easily accessable, homemade soup in the crockpot on the counter all day to grab and slup down in a free second...all help you to make sure that you are getting the nutrition you need on the fly.

Another thought is are you exlusively breastfeeding on demand, do you put the baby to your breast for all of it's sucking needs (ie: do you use a pacifier), and does the baby sleep with you at night and do you take one nursing nap with the baby during the day? If you are not doing those things all together, it is possible that you are starting your cycles back.

Take gentle care of yourself, mama...

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My bright red bleeding is more today than yesterday. It contains some small dark clots.

I am very much exclusively breastfeeding. My baby nurses at least every 2 hours during the day. We cosleep, so he nurses at night when he wants to. He does not use a pacifier and definitely does extra sucking at the breast to satisfy his sucking needs. We do not taking a nursing nap, though. This is my 3rd baby, and the really weird thing is this time I do not feel tired at all (like I did with my others). But maybe this is what I need.

I did mostly stay in bed with my baby for 2 weeks after he was born, and we have had an additional 2 day babymoon as well. I have a lot of responsibilities, given that I have 2 others, so I may be overdoing. At 4 weeks PP, I felt like I regressed in my PP recovery. I went to a school program and sat in this hard plastic chair for a long time. After that, I started bleeding more and started feeling really sore again. (And at 3 weeks, my mw examined me and said everything looked really great. And I felt great too.)

Thanks for the diet suggestions. I probably am not eating enough.

Per my mw, I was taking Black Cohosh 10 drops, 3 times daily to help with my PP hormonal emotional issues. It really helped. I was afraid it would start my period. She said no and that it couldn't because I was still bleeding. BUT, I'm afraid that may have happened. I stopped the Black Cohosh, hoping that I can stop my period (if that is what it is) - or at least subsequent periods. I have been thinking of calling my mw but feel kind of stupid.

User Tag List