who else has had an epidural - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 10-03-2003, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I co-sleep, extended BF, tandem BF, select vax, non-circ, sling, gentle discipline, cloth diapered, etc. - and I had an epidural! It's one of the first things I signed up for when I found out I was PG. I was *terrified* of the pain otherwise, and I'm a wuss too, but I don't care. I'm not into pain if I can help it, LOL. I had absolutely no desire to give birth without an epidural. As soon as I got to the birthing center I had them give me the epidural even though my contractions weren't close enough together, then when the contractions got stronger I had them crank up the epidural so I wouldn't fee them. I had a super easy pregnancy and an easy birth. It was great, no side effects at all.

With my 2nd PG I signed up for the epi ASAP also, then ended up having a scheduled C-section - which was horrible!

Melanie
#32 of 50 Old 10-03-2003, 03:51 AM

I had a epi.

I opted for Demoral at about 15 hours into labor (my water had broke but labor was stalled and I really needed to sleep -- yes, I was in a hospital - my choice due to my age and previous m/c's which made me anxious about everything) and then about 25 hours later, we went with the epi and a c-section because of failure to progress despite pitocin.

It turned out that the babe had his hand up above his head when he dropped (I like to think of it as my little rebel's raised fist) which prevented his easy exit from my womb.

There's a name for it -- I think this is some wierd kind of breach.

Anyway we were fine. By the time we decided to do the c-section, to tell you the truth, I was ready to do it to myself.

My c-section was fine. It wasn't what we planned but all things considered, it worked out. My sweetheart was right by my side and the familia saw the babe right after and, well, here we are. No regrets. Really.

#33 of 50 Old 10-03-2003, 03:52 AM

I had an epidural with my 1st. As a result, I ended up having a serious mini-stroke after the birth as a side effect. The next 2 babies I birthed at home, with the 3rd being a glorious water birth!

LeAnn
#34 of 50 Old 10-03-2003, 07:15 AM

sorry, having to remove all posts with personal info due to an online stalker.
#35 of 50 Old 10-03-2003, 08:40 AM

Yup! I had an epi and unfortunately a csection.

F.
#36 of 50 Old 10-03-2003, 11:18 AM
Banned

Incidentally, the problems with placing the epidural quickly in the woman I mentioned likely included not merely her size, but also the fact that it was an emergency situation in which, I imagine, there was a certain amount of panicking going on on the parts of at least one or more parties. It was not a "normal" hospital labor situation. As lilirose mentioned with respect to her situation, it could also be that the anesthesiologist thought from the get-go that s/he'd not be able to do a proper placement even though perhaps there shouldn't've been much of an issue, and that the negative attitude contributed to the failure of the placement. It's pure speculation, however.

The point of the comment wasn't to remark on the ease or difficulty of placing epidurals in various people, but rather to say that IT COULD BE WORSE!
#37 of 50 Old 10-03-2003, 12:49 PM

Hi Ida, epidurals are certainly not for wussies! I had one with my last birth and it was GREAT. The anaesthetist did a wonderful job. I had all feeling, zero pain. It was an incredible sensation to feel my daughter's head crowning. The absence of pain made it all the more enjoyable, something I will never forget. Twenty-five minutes of pushing, apgar of 10 and she nursed immediately. I was able to get out of bed about an hour after her birth and walk. I felt invigorated. I went into my labour well-versed in the risks as well as the benefits of having an epidural. I have never felt guilty about it.
#38 of 50 Old 10-03-2003, 02:25 PM

One birth with, one without.

I had a bad birth experience the first time--ended up with an epi & all kinds of interventions. I didn't think the epidural made much of a difference for me, anyway, and opted for hypnobirthing the second time around (4-1/2 hour labor that I would say was pain-free--almost didn't recognize that I was in labor!) .

If you think you want to go "natural" next time, maybe look into hypnobirthing--I thought it sounded kinda creepy at first, but ended up working for me!
#39 of 50 Old 10-03-2003, 05:42 PM

Count me in!

My doula was able to help me realize I didn't really want the epidural the first time I asked for it, around 4 cm. However, 16 hours of pitocin later (PIH after my membranes ruptured), when I had stalled at 6 for a while, my demeanor totally changed, and she didn't even try to talk me out of it. My birth was still perfect (I'll post the story one day!)
#40 of 50 Old 10-03-2003, 06:09 PM

I had an epi and loved every second of it! I was in MUCH pain until I got it. So glad I got it and would do it again and again!
#41 of 50 Old 10-03-2003, 07:03 PM

I had an epi with my first after about 18 hours of labor and a pitocin drip. I was just glad to get some sleep and some pain relief. The worst part was not being able to push and that feeling that I wasn't giving birth, I was just a spectator while the nurses and doctor did stuff to me. I hated the helpless feeling.

I had my second naturally in a free-standing birth center. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to take it since I wimped out the first time but not being in the hospital setting and being able to move around made everything so much different. Yes, the pain was intense, but I did it. I gave birth. I won't ever go back to the hospital birth unless it's an emergency.

That said, I can completely understand why epi's are good in some cases.

Keri, wife to Tony, mom to five DDs: M ('96), S('01), E('04), A('07) and J('10);
#42 of 50 Old 10-06-2003, 11:40 AM

I had FOUR! Yes....FOUR lovely epidurals! The anesthician couldn't get the tube in right and had to re-do the epi FOUR frickin times. I was pretty brave until the fourth one and then teared up....man that HURT! It was worse than my C section.
#43 of 50 Old 10-06-2003, 01:00 PM

I had one.

My water broke before I felt any signs of labor. I'm not even sure exactly when it broke - I simply woke up that morning soaking wet.

Went to the hospital, labored for some hours with ineffective contractions. Walked up and down the hall probably hundreds of times, tried every position I could think of, nothing helped. After 10 hours or so of this my OB hooked me up to a pitocin drip. AGONY. Very soon I was having extremely intense contractions, one on top of another. Breathed, moaned, yelled through the pain, kept moving as much as I could with the IV in tow, kept trying different positions. Ended up sitting on DP's lap facing him for most of it, was barely even aware of who else was in the room at that point. Two hours of this and I was still only 3cm dilated. Got a shot of Stadol in my IV and it did nothing whatsoever.

Finally I broke down and asked for the epidural I'd been hoping to avoid. It turned everything around. My contractions were still so intense that I didn't feel the anesthesiologist inserting it at all. Within seconds I felt 100% better; shortly after that I dropped off to sleep. I don't know how long I slept, but when I woke up I was at 7cm. :Puke several times and that took me to 10cm, pushed for 20 minutes (I was pretty numb, but could still feel VERY strongly when I needed to push, and felt the baby crowning as well) and then I had a beautiful, perfect, 9 Apgar, very alert and eager to nurse little girl

If I hadn't had the epidural I really think I would have ended up with a C-section. It allowed me to relax enough for my labor to progress. My own mother labored for two days and never progressed past 6 cm, and I was born by C-section, so perhaps it's something genetic?
#44 of 50 Old 10-06-2003, 01:00 PM

Moving this to the Birth and Beyond forum!
#45 of 50 Old 10-06-2003, 02:52 PM

Epidural w/ #1, homebirth with #2.

I think there is nothing natural about refusing analgesia when birthing in a hospital setting. I think it is bizarre and unnatural to birth in the physical and spiritual confines of a labor ward without some sort of medication to modify the experience.

I think it is wierd and unreal to describe an unmedicated hosptial vaginal birth as 'natural.' IVs and vaginal exams by 3 different people over the course of a day is not natural!

Good for you, mamas, who've done it med-free, but jeez louise, epidural mamas, what the heck else are you SUPPOSED to do under the unholy conditions of hosptial birthing?
#46 of 50 Old 10-06-2003, 06:48 PM

I am scared to death of an epideral. I know that makes no sense at all but I just can't get it in my mind to get one. Plus my cousins have had so many bad effects from them, like the headaches and shakes, that I'm scared it might be geneitic and I will get some kind of bad side effect too. BUT... my last labor was so strong and painful that I decided at the last minute to sign the paperwork to get one(teh doc was really pushing it). well turns out DD wanted to be born way quicker than that and she came forth before I even finished signing the papers so I have to natural; drug free childbirths under my belt because my girls wanted to come so quickly. With my son I had demoral(big mistake!)
#47 of 50 Old 10-06-2003, 07:07 PM

I had my first with no epi, my second with.

My blood pressure dropped and I blacked out. The Anestesiologist (spelling?) had to stay with me until it wore off, after giving me drugs to raise my blood pressure to normal.

I also ended up with a spinal headache, so the first 4-5 days at home with my baby were spent flat on my back, or else I was in terrible pain.

This one will be homebirthed.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#48 of 50 Old 10-06-2003, 09:49 PM

Amen, tinyshoes! Your post was exactly what I was trying to say.

wave.gif
#49 of 50 Old 10-07-2003, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Tinytoes:

ITA!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#50 of 50 Old 10-08-2003, 07:32 PM

Applejuice and 3 little birds, ! (I tried to copy & paste your handle, 3 birds, but it didn't work and I forgot your handle when I was typing my post--your post rang so true to me, too!)

Jeca, I too think it's scarier to have a catheter inserted into the spinal cord than to have a baby come out the way Mother Nature intended!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page