Cord wrapped around neck - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How common is cord wrapped around neck?
My baby was born with cord around neck 65 100.00%
My baby did not have cord around neck 49 100.00%
My baby had problems because of cord wrapping 12 100.00%
My baby had cord around neck and it was no problem 60 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This seems so common. How much of a problem is that really?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 12:22 PM

It happens 25% of the time and it is only very rarely a problem. I have four babies. One of them had a cord. After I pushed her head out, my midwife simply moved the cord and then I pushed the rest of her out.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

Old 05-20-2008, 01:21 PM

Three of my four had a nuchal cord. The MW would just slip it off when the head was born. My last did not which was good for her because she came out in one push and there would have been no time to loosen it.

Sadly my baby brother died because he was so tangled in the cord he couldn't descend and they let my mom labor too long before doing a c-section. He was her fifth and had been a breech that turned at the last minute. The cord actually was not around his neck at all but around his arms and body.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:49 PM

This was just like my 6th/last baby--cord wrapped everywhere, too short to let him be born naturally. In my case, I transported from a home/UC due to thick meconium and bleeding some w/every contrax, at 7cm. I labored several more hrs at the hospital, with my backup OB who knew how much natural birth meant to me. In the end, it was me who called for csec; I could feel baby try to descend and then jerk back upward, over and over and I SOOOOOO wanted to push during those descending times. I knew something was really wrong--baby was also having bad decels with slow recovery. Doc said we could wait another hour or two--but I told him I knew something was wrong and so off to surgery I went. I was afraid of just what Mama Leah mentioned--that if we waited too long, baby's condition would finally deteriotate too much. Then, either it woud mean a crash section due to fetal distress w/me under general instead of awake, and baby needing special care--or baby just not making it at all.

Turns out the cord was badly wrapped around his body, and placenta was starting to abrupt (hence, the bleeding w/contrax) But we'd got into surgery soon enough that my son was doing great--was soon in my arms and needed NO special care.

But this is indeed very unusual. Cords are often wrapped--around neck, arm or leg, something--and it poses no problem whatsoever. 25-30% is a number I've seen on this.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:11 PM

Two of my 3 had the cord around their necks. Ds had some decels at the end of pushing, but other than that both kids were fine.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 05-20-2008, 03:13 PM

I voted cord and no cord. I've had 4 with no cord a 1 with cord.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
Old 05-20-2008, 06:06 PM

My DD did not have the cord around her neck, but when I was born I did. This was 27 years ago, but I was not breathing and I was whisked away to somewhere. The docs left my poor mom there not knowing what was going on. I still have a birthmark on my back that is the doctor's thumb print from where he pulled me out and ran. The hospital my mom had me in was a very High Risk state of the art NICU hospital, so it was very medical. I don't know what would have been different if they weren't so focused on the machines they could use on me.

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
Old 05-20-2008, 06:37 PM

My first had no nuchal cord.

My second had a 2x nuchal cord. My midwife was trying to unwrap it from her head but she shot out anyway. Mw unwrapped it from her underwater. No problems.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 05-20-2008, 06:55 PM

Mine had the cord wrapped over her shoulder and was stillborn. It got caught between her shoulder and my pelvis bone and got compressed.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 05-20-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
Mine had the cord wrapped over her shoulder and was stillborn. It got caught between her shoulder and my pelvis bone and got compressed.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:06 PM

So far 1 out of 3 of my babies had a nuchal cord, but it wasn't a problem.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 05-20-2008, 07:10 PM

I voted I had a baby w/ the cord around his neck, but I forgot to check the no problems box before sending. Ds3 had the cord around his neck. One of my brothers was born with the cord around his neck 3 times and he was fine as well.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:19 PM

dd had cord wrapped around her body, not her neck. throughout labor (27 hours), her heartbeat would rise and fall, but my getting into different positions would help this. everytime i pushed, however, her heartbeat would plummet. ended up having a c-section.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritaserum View Post
It happens 25% of the time and it is only very rarely a problem. I have four babies. One of them had a cord. After I pushed her head out, my midwife simply moved the cord and then I pushed the rest of her out.
: My 2nd came flying out and he had a cord around his neck. No problem at all.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 05-20-2008, 07:33 PM

First - no cord
second - cord wrapped, babe was a little blue but it wasn't like BAD bad. She got only a 5/9 apgar at birth, but it was up to 8/9 at 1 minute and then 9/9 at 5 minutes. All it took was a little rubbing her to get her breathing.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
3rd had cord wrapped around twice. Her heartrate would slow to almost a stop while I was pushing. The midwife was skilled enough to deal with it and I avoided a c-section. If it was a ob I would have had an emergency totally knocked the 'eff' out section.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My 3rd had cord around neck. I do not think there was a problem with heart rate deceleration. When her head came out the midwife said "hold up! cord!" and she pulled it up over the baby's head. It was very non eventful. thank goodness.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 PM

My first was born by c section, no cord around neck...
My second was born at home, cord around neck, it was no problem at all, he was breathing & making noise when he came out & a great color.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 PM

Of my four children, only one was born with the cord around her neck; She was delivered by emergency c-section for prolapsed cord (her cord was a bit long). She didn't have any problems after she was born, though she did have some decelerations before she was born (more to do with the prolapse than the nuchal cord).

Of my mother's five children, one was born with the cord around her neck-- me. It was wrapped around my neck three times, and when it was uncoiled from around my body it proved to be about eight feet long (or was it nine? I'll have to ask my mother). Mom said that it looked like a jump rope, she remembers the medical student holding his arms up with two ends of it and the cord hung down almost to the floor. I didn't have any problems, but I was born very very quickly after almost no labor; My mother thinks that I was wrapped up enough that I might have had problems during birth, if there had been any time.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 05-20-2008, 10:04 PM

My DS came out so fast, it was like he was shot out of a cannon, with his cord wrapped twice around his neck. It was a VERY long cord.

ETA: DS had no problems whatsoever because of it.

Jackie, Catholic mama to Elijah (6/07) & Gabriel (2/10) and our angel baby, m/c 7/29/12. Expecting someone new in October 2014!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:23 PM

One of my sons had the cord around his neck and had some decels when I was pushing, but he came out fine. As a doula I've seen lots of cords around the neck and only one was a 'problem' and they cut it on the perineum b/c the dr couldn't get it unlooped. I think it's relatively common to have the cord around the neck, but usually not a big problem (of course, there's always exceptions)

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
Old 05-20-2008, 11:53 PM

DS had the cord twice around his neck and once around his body, no problems (actually, he was crying before his body was born...I pushed his head out when the OB wasn't looking so there was a bit of a time gap since the OB looked at me and said "stop pushing!"...lol) Although, my doula said it was the longest cord she had ever seen...*shrug*
Old 05-20-2008, 11:55 PM

mine had a tight nuchal cord... i had to stop pushing and it took a few tries to get it off, the midwife said she almost had to clamp it. no problems resulting.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
My Ds had it once around his neck then again around his shoulder. He too was caught between his shoulder and my pelvis. He was blue and not breathing at first and had to spend 5 days in the NICU. He is a healthy 3 year old now.

Sorry for your loss mama.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:17 AM

None of my 4 babies had cords around their necks.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:08 PM

DD had the cord around her neck twice but they were able to unwrap it and I birthed her normally. No problems. Apgars were 9 and 9 at birth.

A friend of mine had a son with the cord around his neck and she had a full episiotomy and early cord cutting because of it. We both had the same midwife. Maybe her cord was shorter.

I think usually it's no problem.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 PM

First had a very tight nuchal cord (doc almost fell off her stool when it slipped away from her ), and no problems that I could attibute to the cord. He had had some decels during labor/pushing he also had low blood sugar. 1 min apgar was a seven, 5 min was a 9. But those things happen in labors sans nuchal cord.

I think in most cases (exceptions being ones like Frontier's above) if there's a problem and there's a cord suddenly it's assumed that the cord *caused* the problem, when really it's unrelated.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 05-21-2008, 12:28 PM

DD had a full nuchal cord which we knew going in (or strongly suspected from the NST the day before). No problems from it, but it was a tight cord, so rather than unloop, she was birthed through her cord which worked out perfectly and left her cord intact =)
Old 05-21-2008, 12:33 PM

DD had her cord around her neck three times. She wasn't breathing or crying. She was fine after a little oxygen.

Those were a scary few minutes when no one would tell us what was happening. I remember repeating over and over "Why isn't she crying? Is she ok?" No one said anything until DD started whimpering.

They let me hold her briefly (all wrapped up ) and whisked her off to the NICU, even though they said she was fine. And they held her "hostage" until they decided I could finally start breastfeeding her three hours later. They wouldn't even let DH stay with her, even after they said he could. :

Robyn 3/26/07

angel1.gif 2.06 11 weeks, 3.10 6 weeks, 11.10 8 weeks, 7.11 5 weeks

TWINS due 4.03.13

Old 05-21-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBinSATX View Post
This seems so common. How much of a problem is that really?
My midwife says it is common, but much less a problem than people think...usually it is just a matter of untangling.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

User Tag List