Stupid Things People Say at Births.... - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2008, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Having had four children at home, I know it is normal to yell, scream, yodel, make lots of noise during labor, passive and active. Anyone who tells a laboring woman to be quiet simply does not understand or know anything about the process, regardless of the letters after their name that someone else gave them.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If had had been in the mood during labor I may have laughed... or been extremely inraged at the following.

from a labor nurse as she noticed my cath bag being completely tinted red (bad insertion plus bladder tissue condition equals cath bag full of blood): "hmmm, I don't think it's supposed to be that color." duh!

from another labor nurse after she sneakily slipped me a sleeping pill I refused several times: "oh and BTW, that was a sleeping pill, and you'll thank me in the morning." I didn't thank her in the morning :

from my husband while I was cathed, on pit, and an epi, "I'm gonna order some Chinese delivery, you want any?" I hadn't eaten in over 24 hours at that point and wasn't allowed to even if I didn't feel a bit like puking. Oh, but I love him anyway

and the best and most comforting was from a recovery nurse. I called her into my room because I finally took a look at the damage and was a bit freaked at the amount of swelling. I told her my concern and she pulled my sheet back to take a look after assuring me swelling is "completely normal" and said, "oh..... OOHHHH! ..... that ISN'T normal." Gee, I felt so much better after her reassuring words.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:57 PM

I went through nearly 2 days of labor following many days of prodromal labor. I was in the hospital for 17 hours laboring away. The nurse whom I started out with left at 7am and came back at 7pm just in time for my completely drug free vbac.

2 hours later she was helping me go to the bathroom. I was a little shaky from pushing and sore b/c I had labored in so many different positions. As she was helping me along I said something about my bottom being sore but I'd take it over a c-section recovery.

She proceeded to tell me that she had a patient recently who was crying to her about having a c-section. So she told the patient not to worry b/c "a vaginal birth isn't all that!"

Why, oh why, would you say this to a VBAC mom????

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

Old 09-02-2008, 06:24 AM

im still reading these, but i wanted to add mine:

DH as im BEGGING for drugs at about 8cm... "you dont need drugs, you're fine" i wanted to punch him.

the best was ME though, as soon as he was born (his head was cocked to the side, and there were people standing around prepared to vacuum if i didnt push him out)
"am i done?! is it over? am i done?!" lol i know, i probably should have been concerned about the baby, but i didnt know there was an issue with him (he was floppy) i just wanted to know if i was done!

Artie, mom to Riley 3/22/08 and a surprise due Oct 2011!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Having had four children at home, I know it is normal to yell, scream, yodel, make lots of noise during labor, passive and active. Anyone who tells a laboring woman to be quiet simply does not understand or know anything about the process, regardless of the letters after their name that someone else gave them.

Amri- mama to Indica 12.08.06 and Kytan 04.04.10
Old 09-05-2008, 01:33 AM

In the recovery room right after my emergency c-section (which was a homebirth transfer and something I planned and fought very hard not to have) my SIL said to me something like "And just think, you only experienced a fourth of what the real pain of labor is like". This was after 13 hours of completely unmedicated childbirth followed by another 9 of a downward spiral of interventions I didn't want due to "failure to progress". Talk about rubbing salt in a fresh wound!
Old 09-05-2008, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Anyone who tells a laboring woman to be quiet simply does not understand or know anything about the process, regardless of the letters after their name that someone else gave them.
If someone told me to be quiet during labor, I would probably yell (louder than I had been) opius amounts of profanity and inappropriate language, and never apologize for it

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

Old 09-05-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalirush View Post
Jeez, yeah. One of my first pushing contractions, I just let out this looooooong scream, and the OB gave me this nasty, condescending speech about not doing that. I knew it was counterproductive. I didn't intend to keep doing it. But *#$@ you, #@(%#. I would have told her what you told your nurse except that I was totally nonverbal at that point. I thought it, though. Like CRAZY.
Yep. I sucked in every bit of energy I could and put everything I had into pushing through one of my early contractions. I refused to think of anything else other than pushing, so I ended up yelling. The OB nurse promptly told me I was not to yell as it would waste my energy and "scare the other moms-to-be." : Ummm, yeah, thinking about NOT yelling while pushing takes a whole heck of a lot more energy than just doing what comes naturally.

DD#1 dust.gif (May '08); new sweet baby girl (May '11) vbac.gif
Old 12-13-2012, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

This is a "way back" thread I came across today when looking through the forum. Thought I'd bump it up as it's a really interesting discussion I'm sure there's lots more to add to it. smile.gif What stupid things have been said to you at birth?

Old 12-13-2012, 03:17 AM

-I- actually said the "WTF?" moment in my labor with DS... I was crowning when my midwife went to check to see if the cord was around baby's neck.. I started BAWLING and was like "Oh no, please don't push him back in!" 

With both my kids my MIL said I had "easy" deliveries, uh no. When the baby is coming out of your vagina, you have a say in if it was easy or not.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

Old 12-13-2012, 04:36 AM

As I am pushing my daughter out at home, the MW asks:"Do you want me to use a warm or a cold cloth for perineal compression?" I was like "I don't f-ing care". Seriously, you're the expert, no? Then a minute later she asks "Do you want to touch the head?" and I, unable to move a single muscle yell "Just get it OUT!" She was born about a minute later, no tearing. I never asked the MW what temperature cloth she had ended up using :)

Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 AM

Oh geez, where to start....

During my first labor when I was not pushing successfully the nurse looked irritated when she asked what class we had taken and the reply was that we had not taken any.  It surely didn't have anything to do with the fact that I was totally numb from the epi and couldn't feel a darn thing.  I couldn't even keep my right leg on the table because it just kept falling off.

At some point during my 3 hours of pushing (after about 48 hours of labor) someone from billing came in to tell us that we owed money and it needed to be paid before the end of the day.  ???  The nurse looked at her and said, "Um, we're having a baby here!"  2 days after coming home  we looked at the paper she gave us...it had a different person's name on it. 

After a horrible birth experience ending in a c-section and being separated for a long time in recovery I finally had my wits about me enough to remember I should try to nurse DD.  Just as we were finishing a NICU nurse walked in and said, "Oh good you're done.  We're stealing her, she's ours now."  If she was trying to be funny, it didn't work.

With DD2 we planned an HBAC and ended up transferring for another c/s.  The day after one of the nurses was basically commenting on how unsafe home birth was and told me, "You know , this isn't the first time we've seen her in here."  in reference to my midwife.  I just ignored her.   Uh, ok, so she brings women to the hospital when it's needed.  That's bad why?

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 12-16-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanmomma View Post

-I- actually said the "WTF?" moment in my labor with DS... I was crowning when my midwife went to check to see if the cord was around baby's neck.. I started BAWLING and was like "Oh no, please don't push him back in!" 

With both my kids my MIL said I had "easy" deliveries, uh no. When the baby is coming out of your vagina, you have a say in if it was easy or not.

My mom and everyone kept/keeps insisting that my birth with DS (VBAC, 10 lb 7 oz), was "difficult." I keep trying to tell them that actually, no, it wasn't bad at all. I did get an epidural, but could still feel the need to push, felt pressure, was being vocal (though DF says not that bad), but it was *so* easy (compared to what I thought/was made to believe it would be. Not that it was like, *sneeze* and baby is born, but... the way my mom made it out... seemed... impossible.), though I think it could have been a bit better if I had actually had some *sleep* the night(s) before. DD was *so* excited to be a big sister, she didn't sleep for three days before I went to be induced. Kid no sleep = mama no sleep = exhaustion early on in labor. Not fun. orngtongue.gif

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 AM

Nothing too bad at mine except being a first-timer, I didn't know how far along I was and they certainly didn't think I would go fast, so they were asking me some demographics questionnaire while I was in transition. I was actually answering most things pretty quickly and they were understanding about pauses for contractions or DH chiming in, but if any of us had known how close I was to giving birth, I think it would have been skipped until after! (I got to the hospital ~4pm and gave birth a bit after 6pm).

I had gone to the bathroom when they wheeled me into the delivery room from triage (I was 5 cm supposedly at triage) and when I got up off the bed I felt everything shift. I peed and was feeling a lot of pressure, so I asked the nurse to check me. She agreed, but I could tell she was basically humoring me, but when she checked me and I was complete everyone freaked out. It was actually pretty funny, but honestly a bit silly eyesroll.gif One nurse is immediately on the phone to my OB telling him to come in NOW and the other nurse is telling me not to push, but I hear my OB yelling at them to not tell me that, I can push if I want and if he doesn't make it the on-call OB at the hospital can handle it. He also scolded them to calm down and turn the lights down when he arrived as they were all still running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

The OB from the practice did make it and he said something like "We'll meet after, here is a quick primer on pushing." when he came in and a little later when my pushes weren't very productive (I just couldn't get the knack of it, pushing was very weird to me) he joked something like "Don't worry about pushing too hard, see this young intern back here, if the baby comes flying out he'll catch her don't worry!" And he was very congratulatory of my fast, drug-free birth and made sure to get me a local before stitching up my 2nd degree tear (nuchal hand!)

Honestly, I had a really great hospital birth and all of these were more funny than bad, I only ran into one mean nurse postpartum and she wasn't that bad. I think it definitely helped that I came to the hospital so late so they didn't have time to do much and that my OB practice while not perfect is pretty good. Like I didn't have to worry about a surprise episiotomy as they were as horrified by those that did them routinely as I was.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Old 12-17-2012, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My midwife had another birth overnight before I came in the following morning.  She was clearly tired, but I felt she was sort of pushing for things to progress more quickly, not that they progressed slowly, my daughter was born ~3.5 hours after I got there.  My labor, as is completely normal, slowed down when we left my house to go to the birth center, but my midwife questioned my sister, sort of like, this is all she is laboring, as though we came in too early...I was 7-8 cm when she checked me.  We did not want to break the water, and had even told her that we thought it would be cool if our daughter was born in the caul.  However, after a little while (and again, we weren't even there that long, it was probably after two hours of laboring in the birth tub by ourselves (she was resting in the other room and I like that we had our own space to labor and I think she knew that, but dammit, I paid extra to labor in the birth tub, so why was I being rushed!), she said if things didn't move along she was going to break my water, this was our first child, and my husband and I felt like maybe she knew best, even though it wasn't what we discussed.  Luckily, my sister and doula stepped in to talk to us about not letting her break my water, and the water ended up breaking on its own right before the midwife came back. Then after the baby was born, I had some labial tearing and they were looking at it talking about how bad it was (I believe the word "flaps" was used) and trying to figure out the best way to stitch it up eyesroll.gif. Uhm, you're talking about sewing up my lady bits and you're not sure how to do it, and talking about how terrible it is right after I had my first baby?  My husband was pissed! I was too focused on getting finished up and getting to hold my daughter again, but later I was really angry that it seemed they moved forward with stitching me up instead of referring me to the hospital or someone who knew what they were doing. Luckily, I healed up just fine. Through the whole birth, I felt like I was imposing on my midwife because she had been at a birth the night before, and I felt sort of short-changed on my birth experience because of it.  I understand that she was tired, and it sucks that she had two births, but the other midwife who was there to help out was completely supportive and patient and kind throughout the whole birth, and she had also been at the other birth. We've decided to just have our next child at the hospital and to be very clear on our birth plan. I figure from the time my sister had her baby in the hospital 10 years ago, things have changed with hospital births for the educated pregnant woman, and I talked to a woman in my Bradley class who had an excellent birth in the hospital and all of her wishes and birth plan were respected.

twins.gif M & B loving life together with Q baby.gif born 8/25/12
Old 12-17-2012, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Dumbest thing I heard was from my DH. Right while I was in the violent throes of transition, it was only my profound and undying love for the man that stopped me from throttling him when he said, "Why don't you try some of your yoga breathing, honey?"

I don't remember responding: "F^%$ MY YOGA BREATHING!!" But I'll take his word for it that I did. winky.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

In the middle of pushing my DH offered me triscuits and cheese, my midwife and I gave him an incredulous look and laughed at him.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:48 PM

What a great thread!

I had very supportive nurses for my natural birth, but the on-call OB was not at all.  I was busy pushing, breathing and moaning through the pushes, and she told me I needed to hold my breath for each push.  "You're never going to get that baby out pushing that way." irked.gif

Funny moment was from me, I had a head cold when I went into labor, and when I was in transition I got up on my hands and knees on the bed.  My nose started dripping like crazy.  Somehow in the middle of moaning through the contractions that were one on top of another, barely able to speak, throwing up from time to time (for which all I could say was "Sick!" and my DH would shove a pan under my mouth), I was able to politely ask, "Can I have a Kleenex, please?"  The nurses found it hilarious that I was able to ask so nicely, and did rush to get me my Kleenex. lol.gif

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 12-23-2012, 11:36 AM

Oh, that's a bunch of crap! I had to get stitched up after DS1, and the newbie (teaching hospital) kept trying to stitch me up without pain relief. DH had to keep remind him I didn't have an epidural. I don't know what took him so long to figure it out. Sheesh! That needle hurt worse even than pit contractions.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:47 AM

My labour with Ds2 progressed very fast (90 mins total), and we were at home waiting for the midwives to arrive for our homebirth. DH asked if he could quickly call his parents, just to let them know we were in labour. He left our bedroom where I was labouring to make the 'quick' call while I dealth with yet another contraction. A few minutes later, I hear DH chit-chatting, asking his dad about their weather (they live 4 hours away). LOL Poor DH, he was a little panicked that the midwives hadn't arrived yet and I guess this was his coping mechanism. Ds2 was born just a few minutes after that weather convo :)

I laugh everytime I think of it now, but at the time I wasn't too pleased! I love that man :)

Happy wife of Mr. Rabbit; proud momma to DS1 (07.07.09), DS2 (02.11.11) and expecting baby #3 01.27.13.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:54 PM

I remembered some things that people said to me before/during the birth of DS.

Not at the birth itself, but every day from ~38 weeks, my mom would call, and ask me if we had him yet, and tell me that some people just aren't meant to have babies naturally, and that some people always have to have c-sections, and that I was being selfish/careless/reckless to try for a VBAC. (I went on to have happy, healthy baby at 41w5d.)

The whole time from the time we went in to be induced, until after DS was born, this one nurse kept asking me, "Why do you want this (VBAC) so bad?" Maybe not stupid, but quite annoying.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

Old 01-03-2013, 01:01 PM

I've been reading through this thread for 3 days just waiting to get to the end so I could add my own. 

I think my first was probably the worst with the stupid comments.  36 hour labor with contractions starting at 3 min. apart.  We of course rushed to the hospital bc it was my first and I had no idea how bad the contractions where actually going to get.  I remember sitting at the registration desk breathing through contractions and saying "I'm about to have this baby and you are actually asking me my religion."  Of course I was only about 1.5 cent. at the time, but she didn't know that. 

Then I get to my room and they start hooking me up to everything and I ask about walking, birthing ball, shower, etc (all of the things we were told about in the birthing class which was the class the hospital offered) and the nurse said "No, honey.  You have to stay in the bed with the monitors."  Me: "What?!  They lied to me.  I have to stay here with this itchy monitor strapped to my belly?!"  I was one peeved momma!!! ( I also had a horrible rash on my belly, so the straps were "killing" me)  Then my nurse who came in to check me every couple of hours had very short stubby fingers, so I asked for someone else and made sure to check all of my nurses hands before allowing them to do cervical checks.  Everybody seemed to get a kick out of this. 

I also remember my hubby making some very irritating comments.  Once during a contraction I was squeezing his hand at the peak and he had the nerve to ask if I could "let up a little"  I told him that he just had to deal with it bc that was only a fraction of the pain I was dealing with.  Then he falls asleep while I'm moaning and groaning on the bed and has the nerve to ask me to "keep it down" because he's trying to sleep!!!!!  I was like "eeexxxxccuuuusssseee meeeeee for interrupting your beauty sleep!"  And then there was also the constant complaint of it being freezing in the room bc I was in labor and extremely hot.  He kept asking the nurses for extra blankets.  And going out into the waiting room to visit with our family and friends bc he was bored and didn't want them to feel left out!  (I'm not even sure who was left in the waiting room bc it seemed like EVERYBODY was in the room with me! 

Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM

Then of course, my doctor was out of town so I ended up with the oldest dr. ever!  He insisted on breaking my water at 4cm, attaching the internal monitor on the babies head and got very irritated when I told him I did not want those things.  He said " I have to keep the baby alive"  What?!  I believe I'm the one that has been taking care of this baby for the last 9 months and will continue to do so for the next 18 years, but you have to attach a probe to its head to keep it alive? 

Not to mention being 9.5 cent. dialated  according to the nurse and I'm telling her I need to push (my body is actually doing it involuntarily) and she refuses to call the dr. because I'm not ready yet.  She kept getting mad at me bc I would ask her every 15 min. to check to see if I was ready, because I really needed to push.  She said "I have better things to do then to continue to check my cervix every time you want."  I ended up swelling so bad I told my mom (during my post delivery shower) that I looked like I had a softball sized vagina.  And my poor baby had a cone shaped head that added a whole inch to her birth length. 

The quack dr. also sewed up my 2nd degree tears with no local bc he said if I had dealt with the whole 36 hour labor med free then I should be able to handle a few stitches!  This was after pouring about 5 gallons of soap over my vagina and babies head as I pushed her out to make it sterile.  This at a hospital who routinely took the baby away for 4 hours to be accessed and stabelized after birth.  When she wasn't brought back to my room after 6 hours, my husband called the nursery to ask why and they said that they had to pump her stomach bc she swallowed amniotic fluid...Hmmm, you mean the stuff she's been swallowing for the past 9 months or could it have been the soap you guys kept pouring over her head!!!

Ugh!  there were just sooo many things about that birth that irk me!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM

At my second birth which was pitocin induced I tried my best to resist the epidural, but in the end I gave in.  It was actually the best epidural experience ever.  My nurse was so sweet, she let me lean on her and hugged me like she was my momma!  As soon as I laid back down, I was numb and she told me I was ready to push!  She actually said if I pushed the baby out b4 dr. got there not to worry bc she had done this before :) I pushed her out in 5 min just after the dr. sat down on his little stool!!!!   And shortly after I told the nurse I had to pee and she was surprised that I could feel the need to pee, so she took out the cathater and I walked to the bathroom!  My husband rudely commented that I should have just stuck it out and that I didn't even need the epidural!  Well maybe not, but that was my decision to make and I'm glad I did it, bc it made the last hour of my labor very pleasurable :)

At my 3rd hospital birth, 2nd pitocin induction...I was finally ready to push after about 12 hours.  The nurse set up the stirrups and told me I could go ahead and push bc it would probably take a while...she hadn't even called the dr. yet!  I tried to tell her that I pushed my last baby out in about 3 pushes but she insisted that I get started.  So I pushed one good time and baby started coming out.  She immediately took my legs out of the stirrups and held them together and told me to wait until the dr. arrived.  Of course I start crying bc now I'm holding an 8 lb baby in my vagina (any body ever heard of prairie dogging..lol) and she says, "OH now don't cry you're just gonna get stuffy and not be able to breathe"  Then the dr. finally comes and starts joking around with my husband about hunting or some stupid man thing and I say "Excuse me, I'm waiting on you to catch my baby!!!!!"  Cool thing about his birth was that his umbilical cord had two true knots in it.  The dr. said he had never seen that before and he kept it to study it! 

4th birth was just weird.....I had so many weird interventions.  I was induced "again"  bc I had excess fluid and when they broke my water it just started gushing out.  There was a student (I'm not sure what kind) standing off to the side and when I looked up and saw his face, I started laughing and that just made the water gush out more...haha!  They put IN all sorts of monitors, one on the babies head and one attached to my uterus, which didn't work and they had to change out the wires 3 times, then of course the catheter all while I'm laying on the bed unable to move bc of epidural with my legs spread open and people are just coming in and out as they please including two male students.  Then right before I gave birth they said they needed to put insert more fluid into my uterus bc maybe they pushed out to much when they broke my water?!?!?  Needless to say I ended up with a horrible infection a couple of days post partum.  Not to mention when she was sewing me up from the horrible tears she comments on how she's never seen anybody swell so much!  I was like maybe because you guys kept feeling the need to shove things into my vagina.  I also had to get a second catheter (after epidural wore off and after birth...very painful) bc I couldn't pee.  My uterus was too swollen to let me relieve my bladder.  I didn't sit for 2 weeks after baby number 4!!!

I'm going for a natural waterbirth and a midwife with baby number 5, so we'll see how it goes :)

Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 AM

During my first birth I was stuck in a triage cubicle for 8 hours because there were no rooms.  It was a teeeeeeeny little room with barely enough room for my husband and my doula and me, so there was no room for moving around.  I kept going out for walks because I needed more movement.  I was calm and focused using self-hypnosis and a nurse saw me leaning against my husband calmly relaxing through a long, powerful birthing wave.  She decided that would be the perfect time to walk over, tap me on the shoulder and begin a long diatribe about how excited she was to see me using hypnosis and all about every instance she'd ever encountered of someone using it, etc.  My husband kept politely asking her to wait until my birthing wave was over to talk to me, but she was oblivious.  I was trying to ignore her and stay focused, but her bubble-headed jabbering gave me the giggles!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 AM

Wow some of these experiences break my heart! We need more doulas and womens advocates! Mine are not as bad but....I labored 12 hours alone at home while caring for my preschooler (and by caring for, i mean moan on the floor while he consumed an entire bag of goldfish crackers) before transitioning and starting to push while seatbelted in during a 45 min car ride, knelt on the bed and ripped open pushing out my 10pounder a few minutes after arriving. A few hours later, the new nurse glanced at my chart and crowed about how short and easy my labor was....as if since she didnt witness it, it was short, and as if me not arriving at 2 cm asking for meds meant it was easy! Reminds me of the quote...the secret is not that birth is easy, it's that women are strong. At the same birth, it was just a few minutes post delivery and I was blissfully holding my baby, taking a breath, the nurse was insisting I brfeed. I said sure, in a few minutes. Next thing I know she is right in my face, repeating my name loudly and saying, "if this brfeeding thing is going to work, you're going to have to get him latched on now! " then she grabs my breast and starts stuffing it in his mouth. Way to kill my new mommy buzz.... I appreciate her enthusiasm for immediate brfeeding, but would also appreciate some respect for my choices and ability. My two other brfed kids were standing right threre...
Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 AM

Some of these are so funny, but many are really sad greensad.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post

Quote:

[

: Did we have the same doctor?!

I felt that I had an ectopic with my third pregnancy and went to the OB to have it checked out. He didn't even examine me or see me in an examining room. He heard I had come in to have a possible ectopic checked out and took me straight to his OFFICE where he saw me behind his desk and calmly informed me that I "did not have an ectopic pregnancy." Yes, he could apparently tell this JUST BY LOOKING AT ME. Just another case of doctors refusing to hear a woman who suspects something might be wrong with her because goodness forbid a patient might actually know what's going on with their own body.

He refused to test me several times and finally lost his temper with me and I left crying. I took myself to the nearest hospital and begged them to help me and they took me in the emergency room and assigned me a new OB. I was rushed to the tech room to get an ultrasound.

Guess what they found growing in my right ovary?

And what happened when I called the previous OB's office and told them what happened and asked why I didn't get care that could have saved my life? They told me I was never allowed to call there again and that they were destroying my file.

Nice.

I wonder if his completely innapropriate and unprofessional reaction had anything to do with his personal feelings on termination...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalirush View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by white_queen_22 View Post

Did you ask him if he scrubs and sanitizes his penis after having sex?

That's a truly ridiculous comment.

Maybe he's gay...

It would explain the irrational distaste for female genitalia.

)

I actually think that there is a certain percentage of male OBs who are really and truly misogynists. As in may have actually become OBs for that reason. I just can't come up with any other reason in this day and age Why we have practitioners who have things like 80% episiotomy rates. I obviously don't have anything to back it up, but from what I have seen, I truly believe it.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narn View Post

When I was getting ready to push (on my back with no feeling from the waist down and my legs in stirrups) the nurse squirted Johnsons Baby Shampoo into my vagina. She was swishing it around, and my sister asked her what she was doing. She said:

"I can make bubbles!"

That's pretty stupid!!!!!

I think I can shed some light on this!

I met a someone who told me that an old OB they knew would squirt this in mom's vaginas because it kept the mothers from tearing. He was using it as a lubricant. :/

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 02-04-2013, 02:06 PM

When I had PROM with DD at 36 weeks I called the hospital/midwives on call and told them "I am 99% sure my water broke"- they asked me "We need you to come in because we can't be sure without checking you to see if it really is amniotic fluid." after they said that loud gush of water into the toilet they ask "what was that?" and I said "I thought it was my water, but I guess I can't be sure until you tell me"... Then they were more serious about how I should come in because it was ealier than anticipated. At the hospital every nurse commented on how they have never seen a woman gush so much water.

I ended up with pitocin aumentation and the RN would come in every time all cheerful and say "it's the best time of the day! time to up the anty" (WTH? Serious?)

At one point DH said to me "I'm tired, I think I need a nap" this was after him sleeping all night while I was awake hoping for labor to start on its own and him sleeping in the day before. I hadn't slept for over 72 hours and really wanted to punch him...

Also I asked if I could have something to eat and the RN said "sure would you like red or green jello?" I looked at her and said "seriously, I want to eat, jello is not food." At which point the CNM came in and said "sure do you want some toast or something." I said, "No I want a large steak and cheese and something really acidic so it burns like hell if it comes back up."

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytime View Post

I gave birth to DD2 at a teaching hospital and the young doctor was poking my vagina and saying, "push here!" I was like, really, I had no idea!

ROTFLMAO.gif

There are some really awesome ones in this thread!

With DD we transfered to a hospital from a birth center.  It was 42 hours from my water breaking until I finally birthed our baby vaginally.  For the most part everyone was awesome.  It was a teaching hospital and I think I met all the residents that day.  Only one was male.  First time he came in to check me he actually shoved me up the bed!  I said something to the effect of "WHOA!" and he said he would come back when my epidural was working..... Ummm maybe it is your big man hands?!?  Seriously everyone has been up in there and you are the only one that physically shoved me up the bed!

He didn't show up again until I was actively pushing, undirected.  He started in with cheerleader style "Push! Push! Push!"  I actually stopped pushing mid-contraction, and gave him a look.  My sister said it was great because DH, myself, the other ob resident and the nurses all paused and shot him looks in perfect unison.  He turned around and walked out of the room.  lol.gif

My sister also overheard the head resident comment that she "wasn't ready to give up on me yet."   When she was leaving the room, after checking on me.  I would have totally panicked if I had heard this!  My water had been broken for so long that DH was convinced that they were going to whisk me away for a c-section as soon as we arrived (though to his credit, he never said so until much later, like DD was over a year old!)  I think my mw must have lied about how long my water had been broken (making it sound like it took place at the bc and not at home the night before we even went to bc.)  love.gif

User Tag List