13 Year Old Placenta - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Why is that when we share some of our practices that women have done for centuries...homebirth, eating and honoring of the placenta, breastfeeding well beyond the baby years, homeschooling and on and on that we need to oh-so-politely emphasize that it's "our choice and not for everyone"?

You certainly dont need to emphasize that "this is our choice and not for everyone" to me. I was clear in my post that TO ME eating a placenta is well....:. I also home school. I am a single mom who transracially adopted. My life is a pretty healthy mix of mainstream and wayyy off the beaten path values/practices. I was simply expressing my honest reactions to human beings eating a human organ. I do wonder though...
why is it when we homeschooling, semi-mainstream, semi vaxing, herbal supplement taking (practices which have gone on for hundreds of years BTW and were well thought out and researched) express an honest reaction we have to "oh-so-politely" emphasize that our reactions and feelings rightfully belong to us and are not for everyone?
LOL! Seriously, I am a big believer in to each their own.... that doesn't mean I cant have an opinion does it?
#32 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 03:57 PM

Hey Ladies,
Let's give Willthiswork a break,eh?

Millions of people have fears/phobias of their own blood even. My DH opted out of med school due to his dislike of seeing blood and gore. The fact that it would be your own placenta that nourished your babe won't matter if a person has a fear of that sort.

And truthfully, on a non-mainstream line, eating one's placenta in our society is waaay out there-I'm sure much harder for folks to grasp then bfing a 5 yo-or maybe not. I dunno. I have our 11.5 yo in our bed due to some fears she has presently, and I am sure that would freak many out.

I'm all for eating the placenta-wish I would have done that myself-but let's please not bash those who have fears of seeing organs.

As an aside-why was this posted in this forum?

:

mp
#33 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 04:11 PM

sorry, I wasn't rolling my eyes at anyone in particular - just at the notion that functional, good things that come from/are of our bodies are scary/gross/weird. I think that's a mindset that can have roots in - women's bodies are dirty, nasty, etc. That we should keep everything sterile and clean and ignore our animal, flesh, earthy sides.

For what it's worth, I haven't eaten my placenta (yet ) and even as student midwife there are times when the blood and rawness is a little overwhelming. However, I think that if someone were to come on Mothering and say something like homebirth is scary and gross and *how could you do that?!?!* it wouldn't be appreciated either. Yes, not everybody's off the main-stream path in quite the same way(s) but an attitude of openmindness is surely attainable. If there was some practice that I found personally distasteful I would be more inclined to not post because, hey, if it's not hurting me and no-one's forcing it on me, why comment negatively on something that is clearly important to someone else.

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#34 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 04:17 PM

Seriously though, I did not mean to be offensive! I had never heard of people keeping/burying/eating placentas so I asked why people did it. Same as I hadn't heard of unschooling and asked what that was.

For the last time, I believe that people should be able to live their lives the way they want (once its not hurting people obviously) but I don't think that I should be looked down on for not sharing the views of others or for thinking that body parts are gross. And I don't think that women's bodies are shameful.

Maeve, wife to Bobby and TTC since August 05. Mummy to furbabies Jay and Spota since October 03.
#35 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 04:24 PM

Durafemina quote>>>
If there was some practice that I found personally distasteful I would be more inclined to not post because, hey, if it's not hurting me and no-one's forcing it on me, why comment negatively on something that is clearly important to someone else.<<< End quote

Excellent point!!! ITA!!

Many times here, or IRL I just have to....

mp
#36 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 04:36 PM

Well, the day we stop asking questions, will be a very sad day(profound huh?).

But, pointing out that something one does (especially of a personal issue), is gross, will probably not go over well here....nor will a smile of shuddering.

Noone is perfect,and personally, when I see a poster is relatively new, I usually cut lots of slack for comments, as this site has info that isn't found elsewhere, and I would hate to see someone leave or hesitate to post a good question-which is really what you did willthiswork-you asked a good question.

mp
#37 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willthiswork View Post
I'm looking at it from a very main stream attitude and it does ook me out. But at the same time I'm sure you have reasons for it that make perfect sense and as you say, it is your choice, but come on! That picture of the placenta was scary! I didn't know what they look like! I always thought they were clear and like egg white (don't ask me why!)
there is nothing scary about a picture of placenta. it helped sustain life. also childbirth is not all flowers and pretty things. it can be quite graphic and scary. there are some really good graphic childbirth videos on you tube. they are quite educational. it would be a good idea to learn as much as you can about thole whole birthing prosess before you concieve so you dont go into this in the dark. it can be quite interesting to learn from what we are afraid of. as for the eating the placenta, i was watching this tv program where a fisherman said he would eat beef liver raw to give his blood an energetic boost. it made perfect sence to me. liver is high in iron. i am anemic so i may consider doing this before i give birth. animals practice this for this reason. i dont plan to eat my placenta but i can totally understand and respect why women do it.

and here is a different pic of my placenta if any one cares to look at it. beware its graphic!

http://i30.tinypic.com/eqrqs8.jpg

Lisa wife to Ronne and mom to 4 kids ,Thomas 4/92, Amanda 9/99, Christopher 8/06 & Nathaniel 5/08.
#38 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 05:50 PM

dd's only 9 months old, but our placenta is in the freezer awaiting...something. i WAS going to have it dehydrated the day after birth, but we couldn't get ahold of a meat dehydrator in time (has to be within 48 hours)... so it's in the freezer.

i totally wish i could have eaten it fresh without gagging, but i have issues. so i chose dehydration, powdering it, and putting it in capsules to make happy-post-partum pills. i'm sad i didn't get to to do that, but now, i look forward to dd being able to help me bury it in a special place.

btw, willthiswork, i totally understand as i was the same way until i got pregnant, and then i got all sorts of protective over all the work that my body was doing. it's my placenta, i made it, i'll do what i like with it! then i researched it and found out how GOOD it is for the post-partum body.

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#39 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 06:09 PM

We buried Ingrid's last year after 2 1/2 years in the freezer.

We planted roses over it, and a month later buried one of our cats next to it. (The day after he died) We've since planted more roses in that area. It's the life and death garden.
#40 of 53 Old 05-27-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedwith2 View Post
EWWWWW! I can respect the whole using it to nourish plants and the symbolic nature of using it to support new life but....[I]eating it?[I] Its a HUMAN organ!!! Seriously.... to me its just wayyy too gross-practically cannibilism!
"In most mammalian species, the mother bites through the cord and consumes the placenta"
http://www.answers.com/topic/placenta?cat=health

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
#41 of 53 Old 05-27-2008, 08:17 PM

Mine is in my aunt's freezer, it has really bad freezer burn, but I think I'm going to thaw it when this baby is born, make placenta prints of both placentas at once, and the bury them both at once with a tree over them (after eating part of DS2's of course)

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#42 of 53 Old 05-28-2008, 11:52 AM

This makes me wish i didn't discard mine.

My midwife asked me if i wanted it and i took one look and decided my baby was much cuter....

It never occurred to me that i should keep it. But lately i've been thinking about it and it fed my baby well for 9 months. The lease i could have done was give it a proper burial.
#43 of 53 Old 05-28-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I clicked on someone's link and it showed a placenta which scared me because I've never seen one before. I don't have any kids, actually going through IVF this week so hopefully in 9 months I'll be seeing a real life placenta.

I think that hearts, kidneys, lungs, pretty much all organs actually are kind of scary to look at. Doesn't mean I don't recognise how vital they are.

ETA, actually, I'm scared of lots of things, like spiders, insects, driving in the wind (a tree fell on our car while my whole family was in it when I was 15). I'm sure things scare you as well, I don't get the rolly eyes emoticon. Different people are scared of different things doesn't make us bad people.
Willthiswork,

The placenta is all red and gooy like that because your blood flows to it and it's job is to take the nutrients out of your blood and give them to the baby. It decides what your baby needs and when.. kinda like a liver. I ain't mad atcha. I can see how if you're a little naive to what it looks like and what some people do with it, it can be a little startling. I appreciate your honesty and straightforwardness about being grossed out. lol
#44 of 53 Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Whoa! I thought a 4-year and 1.5-year old placenta in the freezer was crazy?! Get that placenta in the ground!!

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#45 of 53 Old 05-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymw View Post
Mine is in my aunt's freezer, it has really bad freezer burn, but I think I'm going to thaw it when this baby is born, make placenta prints of both placentas at once, and the bury them both at once with a tree over them (after eating part of DS2's of course)

There's a 2 1/2 year old one in my parent's freezer that by some miracle has not been tossed in the garbage through multiple freezer cleanouts during which my dad did not know what it was! We've even planted two trees in our yard but did not have the placenta handy at the time...maybe I'd be more conscientous about watering those young trees if they were more meaningful!
Anyway, quoting the above because it gave me the idea to just wait till my next pregnancy & birth and bury them together - or at least what remains of the second, as I have every intention of eating it! Not gonna eat the 2 1/2 year old one though.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#46 of 53 Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 PM

I was a good girl and buried all mine

You know I never had an appreciation for placentas till I had my first. Then I saw it and buried it and I was in love with it. I felt so connected to it. It was my baby's home. I felt like it was apart of my baby and me, what connected the two of us. After I had #2 in the hospital dh forgot it I made him go back to the hospital to get it. I was grieving over my forgotten placenta. Then after #4 my dog unburied it so I had to rebury it and I was so upset. Not mad, incredibly sad. That it had been disturbed while doing its business of nourishing the earth. it was like disturbing a grave. After the last 2 I have eaten part of it and buried the rest. Cured my ppd. After that I gained another whole new respect for them.

I think you just need to gain an appreciation for them. Realize how wonderful they are and they stop being gross. I don't have pics of any of mine so sad.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#47 of 53 Old 06-01-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromamma View Post
This type of response to those of us who live our lives well out of the mainstream just bugs me.
Why is that when we share some of our practices that women have done for centuries...homebirth, eating and honoring of the placenta, breastfeeding well beyond the baby years, homeschooling and on and on that we need to oh-so-politely emphasize that it's "our choice and not for everyone"?
Yet people who are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with these practices are very free with reactions like the above or out and out judment or accusations of child abuse and endangerment?
Most of these folks don't believe that the choices we make, be it homebirthing, placenta eating, not vaccinating, unschooling,etc are based on lots of our own research and evaluation of facts and tradition.
Grrr.
Actually, I think it's kind of funny. No, I haven't eaten a placenta, but I'm into the homebirthing (even though mine were hosp. - sigh*), nonvax, noncirc, breastfeeding as long as you/lo wants to, etc. I'm still learning - and am fascinated by UC, EC, and such. So I guess I'm not completely over the line, but I still think it's funny that people get so grossed out. Maybe if I had to confront people in person, it wouldn't feel so benign to me. Yeah, you've got a point about the accusations about child abuse and crap. THAT is not funny.
#48 of 53 Old 06-01-2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
I clicked on someone's link and it showed a placenta which scared me because I've never seen one before. I don't have any kids, actually going through IVF this week so hopefully in 9 months I'll be seeing a real life placenta.

I think that hearts, kidneys, lungs, pretty much all organs actually are kind of scary to look at. Doesn't mean I don't recognise how vital they are.

ETA, actually, I'm scared of lots of things, like spiders, insects, driving in the wind (a tree fell on our car while my whole family was in it when I was 15). I'm sure things scare you as well, I don't get the rolly eyes emoticon. Different people are scared of different things doesn't make us bad people.
That's true. Some people are afraid of moths, some are afraid of being where trees and plants are close together (claustrophobia). We all have our ooky feelings about something. One thing I've seen in my research about "unusual" things is that it may seem repulsive at first, but once you've been exposed, then you get curious, then you research, then you just might espouse it. Sometimes, you resent that you were never taught the alternative things after you've found out about them. I know that I feel that way about UC and EC.
#49 of 53 Old 06-01-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Random_Phrase View Post
Okay, polishprinsezz, that picture is going to really gross out willthiswork. I mean that red is pretty bright.

What's cool is that willthiswork (and probably the rest of us at some point; I know it's true for me) came here to find answers to one question and ended up with a real education about just about everything.

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#50 of 53 Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 AM

I love the idea of having the children pick out what to plant over their placenta/help plant it. I have a 5 year old placenta and half of a 2 year old placenta in the freezer. I had the other half made into capsules for postpartum. I still have most of those too!
#51 of 53 Old 06-01-2008, 11:36 AM

We planted dd's placenta under a pear tree a few days after she was born. I kind of wish we had waited; I was so tired that when dh asked if I wanted to come out to help/watch I said I'd rather stay in bed! I also wish I had gotten a better look at it.

I remember when I was first introduced to the idea of placentas being meaningful or useful after birth. It was years ago, and dh found his cousin's placenta in her family's freezer. We were totally grossed out! His cousin was 6 or 7 at the time, and her mother had intended to bury it years before, but never got around to it. I think it's under a maple now. And now I understand and appreciate placentas--but I don't think I'll ever eat one!

(And to willthiswork: Good luck with your IVF!)
#52 of 53 Old 06-01-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durafemina View Post
a life-sustaining organ is scary? The place your baby lived and was nourished is gross? I don't get it . . .

I hope for your sake you didn't click on my link then
In fairness, I think a lot of people would be equally ooked out by looking at a blood covered liver or heart or any other organ that's on the inside of your body. It doesn't weird me out, but I totally understand why someone else might not be comfortable with it.
#53 of 53 Old 06-02-2008, 04:55 AM

It didn't even occur to me to keep DD's placenta, but I remember the nurse showing it to me. I wasn't really interested as I was breastfeeding DD at the time.

Then I had a miscarriage... a long, drawn out experience that culminated in passing the placenta a month before my due date! I was so amazed with it that I kept it and it's waiting in the freezer to be planted. Since I lost the baby pretty early it's only about the size of my fist, but amazing nonetheless.

I definitely couldn't see myself eating it though.

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page